Audi R8 Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Audi R8 Testing

With the recent unveiling of the RS6 with 580 bhp on tap, it isn't too much of a stretch to believe that the later models of R8 should have at least a similar amount of power...

Allan;249405 said:
A super exchange, i must say. If i may so add

The good Dr. must know where he is positioned in the social hierarchical map. Just like the recent Japanese minister who lost his job for saying that woman are only good for bearing babies. He may really believe it, but as he is in a certain "position", such an insensitive remark cannot be tolerated. Imagine that this same comment was said by a normal japanese dude. maybe the lynch mob would be more forgiving.

So SM is really in a bittersweet position in this social map. He is certainly perceived to be living it up, what being a Dr and all the cars which he has and all. (Normally people are not so gracious in giving just dues, in that it is perhaps not so easy to pass medical school even if your parents could afford it or why he is so lucky to be blessed with a silver spoon and others not.

So on this token, this makes him a yummy ripe target. So Shaun took the good Dr to task for his seemingly insensitive comments. Note that was all the Dr did but if he has the nerve to say it, he should then understand that it may have certain repercussions. like maybe from Audi and R8 fans or in some cases a guy like Shaun.

Mind you, I am not saying that Shaun is bullying a rich kid, rather that all people need to know how to be more tactful/sensitive when they voice their opinions in public and perhaps more so people in certain "classes". The same outburst happened in the thread on racing stripes as a person which was driving a lotus was perceived to be cocky bcos he said that racing stripes belonged to his car and not on a bimmer, certainly a strong remark in a forums on BMWs. The Lotus guy also tried to explain that he believes he is being hit upon only becos he is driving a lotus. But to be fair, you cannot blame Jack for saying that he is cocky. Which is also perhaps an insensitive remark but a remark only nevertheless. So in case Lionel wants to say that Jack is wrong for his remark, Jack also has every right to say that Lionel is a prick. What may happen would then be .....an exchange lor. With words or fists or whatever suits them lor. Humans have fought each other for ages. Why ? go figure if you already cannot see the picture. Ask people around you and you get a huge database of different answers. So if you can give it, prepare to take it as well. That is why most people chose to be less "controversial", less loud.

I do not know Shaun and i do not deem to be in a position to judge him on his sanity but I can see where he is coming from. He simply believes in righteousness and cares deeply for fairness in the world. To a lot of people, this is so foreign ! It is a losing battle as do people care enough to move their butts to do the correct thing ? whatever it may be.Yes yes, it maybe a lost cause but perhaps not to him. And believe me he gets shit for his beliefs. People call him names, people ridicule him , burn him at the stake. so you see it works both ways.

But in the end, this is just a decision by an individual on how he choose to live his life. There is no right or wrong, silly or not. Not everyone is born equal. So the age old saying. You live your life and I'll live mine. Don't judge me and i don't judge you.

No one should try to be a know-it-all. lest in an ocean, you think you are the big fish until another bigger fish comes along. Then you habis.

You can't have it all ! But good Dr, blood don't scare you and so a bout of really strong words will not kill you lah. No need to win all the time as sometimes you get people like shaun which bcos of his strong beliefs, you can never fall. But you got the chicks and the cars, he got his beliefs and intellect. So............so........sorry in case i have spelling mistakes.

Woot the fark did i write so much things lah. Not scared kenna repercussion is it ? i go hide in my hole now. bye

interesting comments you make.

just a couple of clarifications.

1. Doctors are humans and seriously, whats the big deal in being a doctor? I never thought is was a big deal and it never should be a big deal.

2. Silver spoon is relative. I work hard for what I have.

3. The audi issue was obvious. People just couldnt swallow the fact that I said that the car has yet to prove its worth, and it cannot be held in the same league (yet) as other more established marques. So, I become the "atas" , "nose in the air", snobbish chap who leads the good life (again its relative) and takes pleasure in passing insensitive comments. Repercussions dont bother me. I have a teeny weeny little bit more self assurance than that.

4. Win all the time? I think someone else has more of that mentality than me.

There are somethings I want to say about some characters in this forum.. but well, you guessed it. I am keeping my mouth shut!

hackzi;249520 said:
Wow, I'm impressed.... so many psychologists here. :roll:

shhhhhhhhhhhhh

Regarding your opinions of certain posters, go ahead and put them into another thread in the lounge lah! It'd be fun if taken in the right spirit.

Harry1;249387 said:
(ps shaun, yes, I will rinse my mouth shortly)

Hi Harry, just to clarify...

Whilst I don't see the need for use of rough language to express anything on a public forum, 99% of my beef with such language is in its use against people. "My car has been running like crap ever since I installed that new ECU" is fine and very different from "why don't you shut your crap hole". The car cannot be affected by even the coarsest of language, whereas any human can.

Cheers :)

=======

Cays,

After all this discussion about how subjective psycho analysis leads no where and means nothing, I'm surprised you want a dedicated thread on it. I promise you nothing but negativity will come of it. There are a thousand quacks for every true psychiatrist/psychologist, and the true ones don't hang out on automotive forums dishing out "heartfelt" analysis after heated arguments on autos and logic, in which they are personally involved. To use this supposed analysis to attempt to claim superiority after having failed on every factual and logical point, is the height of quackery. And since the topic of cloaks was brought up earlier in this thread, I might add that this quackery is also the most pathetic of cloaks, most pathetic behaviour , I have yet seen in my entire life.

You never see the psychiatrist mother of a murdered daughter, appointed by the state to determine whether the murderer is insane or not, simply because she is personally involved and cannot work objectively. Besides, she would actually have to be a psychiatrist in the first place. LOL

Shaun;250025 said:
Hi Harry, just to clarify...

Whilst I don't see the need for use of rough language to express anything on a public forum, 99% of my beef with such language is in its use against people. "My car has been running like crap ever since I installed that new ECU" is fine and very different from "why don't you shut your crap hole". The car cannot be affected by even the coarsest of language, whereas any human can.

Cheers :)

=======

Cays,

After all this discussion about how subjective psycho analysis leads no where and means nothing, I'm surprised you want a dedicated thread on it. I promise you nothing but negativity will come of it. There are a thousand quacks for every true psychiatrist/psychologist, and the true ones don't hang out on automotive forums dishing out "heartfelt" analysis after heated arguments on autos and logic, in which they are personally involved. To use this supposed analysis to attempt to claim superiority after having failed on every factual and logical point, is the height of quackery. And since the topic of cloaks was brought up earlier in this thread, I might add that this quackery is also the most pathetic of cloaks, most pathetic behaviour , I have yet seen in my entire life.

You never see the psychiatrist mother of a murdered daughter, appointed by the state to determine whether the murderer is insane or not, simply because she is personally involved and cannot work objectively. Besides, she would actually have to be a psychiatrist in the first place. LOL
Shaun, unlike you, if truth were my only interest in life, honestly I'd be bored. Humans have a trillion dollar trade in lies too - that's called movies. Truth is my mandated principle, but that does not mean I can't watch movies. They're instructive too. Putting our crap into another thread, dedicated to mudslinging, makes a good show. And earn a few bucks for ryan too!

But there's another, rational purpose also.

I know you may hardly have the time, but go watch this show called Battlestar Galactica on Sci Fi channel.

Humans are chased by cylons all across the universe, and human and cylon both seek Earth. But in the meantime, the only humans surviving, all 49K of them, are being stressed like hell by the chase.

In one episode, `Unfinished Business', anybody who wants can challenge anybody else in the boxing ring, and everybody watches them fight. Sidebets galore. Spectators enjoy themselves. it is very ugly. Blood splatters everywhere. KOs. People get the shit whacked outta them. Those who fight, fight out of whatever reason they personally have - ego issue, can't stand the other bugger, just because he got challenged can't bear to back down, etc.

THe lady civilian boss asks Commander Adama, the military boss - hey boss why do you allow this kind of crap to happen?

Adama says - we're under stressed a zillion miles and there's bad blood among our crew. This lets them relieve these tensions because we gotta work together in the future, rather than to let the bad feelings simmer.

Arrrgh .. shit just read the transcript:

Roslin: There you are.
Adama: Hey. How are you?
Roslin: My father was an avid fight fan. I adored my father, so I love a good fight. [Dualla works o­n Lee while Starbuck wraps her hands.] I heard about your so-called dance. Accidentally, I might add.
Adama: Don't take it personal. This is sort of a private tradition.
Roslin: Tradition?
Adama: There's a lot of frustration aboard warships. Arguments become grudges, then end up being feuds. This allows them to let off some steam out in the open so everybody can participate. Rank doesn't matter. As long as you throw your tags in the box, everyone's fair game.
(The current match ends.)
Tigh: Next up is Hotdog! Hotdog, get your butt up here and pick a partner.
Roslin: Did you throw your tags in there?
Adama, laughing: No. No. I wish. All the frustrations that I have...
Tigh: who's your partner, Hotdog?
Hotdog: Starbuck.
(The crowd cheers. Helo grins at Starbuck and Kat shouts her name. She shrugs and steps into the ring.)
Starbuck: You gotta be kidding me.
(Helo gets her ready and the bell rings again. They fight. She remembers seeing Lee o­n Main Street. She remembers him pushing past them, and how she almost cried. In the ring, she finally drops Hotdog. Lee and Kara stare at each other.)

In other words, Shaun, you and I and the good doctor and ryan and axl and toto and elma and doogie and every mother's son, ... we're all fair game.

Some great guy came up with the idea of a fight club in another thread.

Thank you for the inspiration!

Movies for entertainment, for inspiration, for education, are all great. Fiction serves many purposes and does not equal cloaked hate. A movie inspired by hate and claiming a non-existent higher purpose, probably won't even make it to theatres because no studio will take it on. Consumers (ones with at least half a brain anyway) won't buy the garbage.

We are not galaxy hopping trying to escape aliens, and a dedicated subjective quack analysis thread will only be one concentrated lump of forum rule violation involving possibly tens of members, if left to run.

A physical attack lasts maybe minutes. A written attack on a forum remains as long as the database does, which can easily be decades.

damn and I thought we could ease the tensions and not mess up my pretty face .... looks like we gotta really have a fight club.

Which ain't a bad idea... as long as we DO wear boxing gloves.

Now I've gotta summon my passions to punch somebody properly, trouble is... who? REALLY can't think of anyone.

To me, one thing that surpasses plain tech attributes, is the emotion a car conveys to you as you stand there and look at it. This factor is obviously personal, but with enough people thinking almost alike, this will set the legacy of a car in time to come.

For eg, the miura is commonly touted to be a really beautiful car at its time. I dont think so. But thats what the majority says, and the legacy is set.

technologically excellent cars like the veyron, 612s, cayenne etc are the top in their tech game, but generally people dont give one look and leak sperm. the r8 in my opinion is in here unfortunately.

lesser cars that look beautiful and make ppl salivate are all the astons, the modern alfas, and maserati, for eg. but they are definitely lesser than the focused cars above.

heck, for the zonda is high tech, everybody salivates, even though looks wise it's not really there.

we may have a problem when we place different weights under the "desirability" question. it will always be combination of tech, looks, badge (heritage and racing background) + some others. so this different weightage of factors create differing opinions.

some brands just have it harder coming. ferrari can announce an F360 successor, and when it just shows up, it already has attained cult status. easy. audi on the other hand really has to work very very hard to achieve this, and the bosses there knows that. even though they completely dominate the le mans, so what, the accountants know it still hasnt translated to good sales. multiple F1 champion renault knows that too. it's sad, for a brand to have tried so hard and to get race results, and built technologically superior cars, but human desirability is hard to pinpoint.

breaking into new ground you were not historically known for will always be a problem. the cayenne sells well, but still garners lots of curses. the vw phaeton simply can't sell. AMG cars has tremendous attributes but purists will never touch them. And similarly, the r8 will have it's fair share of disbelievers. That it is a technologically superior car has got nothing to do with it.

if it's only about the tech numbers, then perhaps sony's betamax, macintosh, pepsi would have ruled the consumer world, but we all know they didnt.

the mac is not technically superior! Pepsi is sweet! Betamax tape always koyak one because it is so thin it stretches !!! (wah I'm old enough to remember that)

Racebred;250036 said:
And similarly, the r8 will have it's fair share of disbelievers.

Spelling polis helpfully notes the confusion regarding above usage of "it's" and "its". You have been warned. :fineprin:

axl;250077 said:
Spelling polis helpfully notes the confusion regarding above usage of "it's" and "its". You have been warned. :fineprin:

Axl as spelling polis? What has our forum come to...

jaskin;250084 said:
Axl as spelling polis? What has our forum come to...

haha...

OT - wow its been a long time dude! Hope you are doing great... btw I like your signature :lol2:

OT ended

Racebred;250036 said:
To me, one thing that surpasses plain tech attributes, is the emotion a car conveys to you as you stand there and look at it. This factor is obviously personal, but with enough people thinking almost alike, this will set the legacy of a car in time to come.

For eg, the miura is commonly touted to be a really beautiful car at its time. I dont think so. But thats what the majority says, and the legacy is set.

technologically excellent cars like the veyron, 612s, cayenne etc are the top in their tech game, but generally people dont give one look and leak sperm. the r8 in my opinion is in here unfortunately.

lesser cars that look beautiful and make ppl salivate are all the astons, the modern alfas, and maserati, for eg. but they are definitely lesser than the focused cars above.

heck, for the zonda is high tech, everybody salivates, even though looks wise it's not really there.

we may have a problem when we place different weights under the "desirability" question. it will always be combination of tech, looks, badge (heritage and racing background) + some others. so this different weightage of factors create differing opinions.

some brands just have it harder coming. ferrari can announce an F360 successor, and when it just shows up, it already has attained cult status. easy. audi on the other hand really has to work very very hard to achieve this, and the bosses there knows that. even though they completely dominate the le mans, so what, the accountants know it still hasnt translated to good sales. multiple F1 champion renault knows that too. it's sad, for a brand to have tried so hard and to get race results, and built technologically superior cars, but human desirability is hard to pinpoint.

breaking into new ground you were not historically known for will always be a problem. the cayenne sells well, but still garners lots of curses. the vw phaeton simply can't sell. AMG cars has tremendous attributes but purists will never touch them. And similarly, the r8 will have it's fair share of disbelievers. That it is a technologically superior car has got nothing to do with it.

if it's only about the tech numbers, then perhaps sony's betamax, macintosh, pepsi would have ruled the consumer world, but we all know they didnt.

Finally a sensible, mature and honest post... much appreciated !

Desirability is the key word. (make that "perceived" desirability)

:)

caySman;250038 said:
the mac is not technically superior! Pepsi is sweet! Betamax tape always koyak one because it is so thin it stretches !!! (wah I'm old enough to remember that)

The Mac is technically superior cos it can run Windows, OS X and Linux/BSD/any other flavor of OS without breaking any licensing agreements. Can't do that on a true blue Windows or Linux box. :lol2:

Crufty Dusty;250151 said:
The Mac is technically superior cos it can run Windows, OS X and Linux/BSD/any other flavor of OS without breaking any licensing agreements. Can't do that on a true blue Windows or Linux box. :lol2:

agreed on that.. i am no pc guru but my little experience tells me that the mac is such a powerful tool when it comes to graphics and music... not so sure about pc though...

i think the apple story is in some book right? for inspiration or something..

:)

so Mac is super computer?

Shaun - The paragraphs below are from my previous post. You will (and should be able to) note that my inputs were from "Just fyi - in case ... of S$18". The earlier paragraph was quoted from Doggie Howser's post.

DoggieHowser;249369 said:
I remember reading a review that said the CF side blade was an option. Can't believe how much crap that CF side blade is getting here ;) (ps shaun, yes, I will rinse my mouth shortly)

ROADandTRACK.com -- Road Tests - Road Test: 2008 Audi R8 4.2 FSI (4/2007)
Just fyi - in case anyone is interested:
Option cost for Sideblade in Carbon Fibre is S$8k. Can opt for the Special upgrade package which comes with fine nappa full leather trim, lighting package (for engine compartment), Sideblade in Carbon Fibre for a total package price of S$18.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vn58io
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back