BMWSG Sepang Track Day 6 March 2011

Re: BMWSG Sepang Track Day 6 March 2011

and Shawn.. when are we logging your S5 and upcoming Mclaren? :D

TripleM;619963 said:
Oi Mr Gan, pass me the race logic. I want to data log my runs then we sit at Skybar and analyze this.

Sure thing... after all I got two of the damn things... as though I can drive two cars at once. I can datalog you driving to work if you want....

Racebred;619979 said:
IIn nature, they call that expanding the gene pool. So our track days will be good for newbies picking up the sport, and for good drivers to become excellent ones. Good right?

Shawn, you had me at expanding the gene pool. I'm all for that... but not sure we are talking the same language....:yummie:

Elite;619997 said:
Aha .... I knew that was a scientific explanation why the timings were better with the top down ;)

Apart from lower CG, I suppose the weight distribution is better too with the roof tucked away in the rear ?

Unless is a 911 mate.... hahahaha

Elite;619939 said:
Hahaha .... quite the compliment considering the LP550 Limited edition you were in :)

Yes, its a 135 Cab -- w 7 gear DCT -- 1 more than the 1M :p .... Very versatile -- can carry the family in back and fit a full set of golf clubs -- with the top down :cool:

Yup -- believe Eric's been poisoned and will soon be following your footsteps ...hehehe ...

tell him call dataface la. dun waste time.

Shaun;619946 said:
Sure anot? If that's true why's there only one datalog and tranponder confirmed example in the whole of Singapore and Malaysia? :p Group includes old SL, new SL, and 560.

Of course local motorsports giants like JP group are quality enough to be beyond any doubt, esp when they confirmed their own timing independently and without any leads, and when your own timings later lined up exactly with what they mentioned at that dinner.

bcos not everyone wants to track their cars.

harold996tt;619949 said:
The damn buses overtake you on the N-S toto....

makes me tired driving fast. no balls to go fast too. im really terrified of NSH speeds. u see the buses swing out etc...

Carcinogenic;619966 said:
Should have a few la, one M3 spun right in front of me just after T14.
Eh your exos a bit soft le

ya i know its a pusssy compared to the old car man. but its a factory spec trofeo race exos....gonna just leave it in there.

TripleM;619963 said:
Oi Mr Gan, pass me the race logic. I want to data log my runs then we sit at Skybar and analyze this.

Smoothie, is this the P-box? I think I want one too.

harold996tt;619909 said:
Mate, dont worry about keeping up with others.... only think about self improvement.... and hire Ascendant- Shaun, to do that.... I aint even done practical with him yet, having only done one session of data analysis with him.... and I swear I have improved.:wavey:

Yea it's all about racing with the clock. Actually I've got a Racelogic logger. Any idea where I can find information on how to interpret the data? I tried googling. Not much luck there.

Scuderia;620050 said:
Smoothie, is this the P-box? I think I want one too.

yep that's the one

MachoMan;620051 said:
Yea it's all about racing with the clock. Actually I've got a Racelogic logger. Any idea where I can find information on how to interpret the data? I tried googling. Not much luck there.

Interpret Data= Shaun aka Dataface aka Ascendant Motorsport. Without his analysis, the info us worthless mate... just lots of stupid graphs going up down up down then up again.

Racebred;620148 said:
After which he will tell you to buy, sell, or hold.

Sounds like a track guru, must engage huh!

Hi Phil, no guru mate, just enjoy efficient tracking and technical things, quantifying performance, testing concepts, seeking truth with others of like mind. Everyone is learning in multiple areas, different levels. My colleague and I try to differentiate our company by applying techniques and standards learned from our race and data engineering work in professional racing on an international level ( mid to top level formulae and prototype classes across Asia, Europe and the US, GT and touring car, etc.) Including 4 out of the only 5 classes outside of F1 to allow unlimited advanced data systems. Organizing and analyzing 70 physical sensors, 300 math channels under very tight time constraints.

Data is just data.. nowadays there is a large range of analysis software that allows anyone to throw a few squiggles up on screen. Accurate, fast analysis requires a lot more than lines on a screen. There is a lot of detail that integrates with vehicle dynamics and missing a little can throw off a conclusion entirely.

We're fortunate to have this level of technology available at prices this low...a decade ago crude, expensive and rare, and before that unheard of :) The power of these systems for the price is amazing and I'm not saying it to promote the stuff I sell. There are tens of alternatives internationally - Stack, Race Technology, Racepak, AIM, Traqmate, Qstar, Digispice etc. etc. but it is true Racelogic is a leader because of what they've designed. And for the best analysis and support, Ascendant rocks :thumbsup:

===

Machoman, saw you at the trackday with Chee Hon, ask him about me. Incidentally what times were you cutting in your S2K? Is it showroom stock? If so, I have for you the fastest reference lap in data for both SIC and PG. What times were you running? What about Chee Hon?

Last edited by a moderator:

I know I'm an old friend of Shaun's but I say this without bias and purely based on the results: Do yourself a favour if you're serious about driving and go on the Ascendant program.

I've been through a number of high quality driving courses overseas as well as locally and while they were useful and the experience was great, the Ascendant program has made the biggest difference to my laptimes. The logic, data, never forgetting is just awesome. Just look at the improvements Jeremy, Lung, Ronnie, Simon, Fong, Nick, Leang, Harold, Royce, etc. have made. Nuff said!

:)

Oh i'm also close to a consistent 2:36 laptimes but trying to break into 2:35s...............

its the cheapest way to go fast. mod the driver. beats wasting sets of tires and modifications to your car.

Though I have never officially joined the Ascendant program, I have had quite a bit of help from Shaun.

Shaun really has great knowledge and a passion for this stuff. I've never paid a cent and he has spent hours going over things with me by email, recommending books and sources of information, discussing various dynamics. I've seen him do the same on other forums, including this one. He is always happy to help those who help themselves and put in at least some effort... I was fortunate enough to sit in on a session with one of his other clients who is a friend of mine. The things he has shared with us have certainly helped improve my driving and I still have not stopped going faster. Perhaps when I get stuck, I will pay and hop on the program :)

Oh and it's not only exotic car or racecar drivers that he helps. Even a humble Evo driver like me he is passionate about getting to go faster. I was one of the 2 white Evo X's on Sunday's track day...

And oh yes... there are a number of vendors who can sell you a Pbox, but only one guy can teach you how to really use the Pbox and the data it spits out.

Shaun is the real deal.

Shaun;620229 said:
Machoman, saw you at the trackday with Chee Hon, ask him about me. Incidentally what times were you cutting in your S2K? Is it showroom stock? If so, I have for you the fastest reference lap in data for both SIC and PG. What times were you running? What about Chee Hon?

Is Chee Hon also known as Malcom? Or Ryan? I only spoke to a couple of guys that day, as I had too many things running through my head. My car is NOT showroom stock. Only power wise it's stock. So far I've got Coilovers, BBK, Clutch + Flywheel and Roll centre adjuster. Using the RE-11 on Sunday i did a 2:49. The day before (TCC track day) I did a 2:46 but I was on Yoko A050. I'm still very new to tracking, and am still trying out different lines and how different street tyres and semi-slicks feel like. I know my car can do much better times, because someone did a 2:41 in it. Hence it's all about upgrading the driver from here on.

Right now I'm not too concerned about laptimes (yet). My priority is to be consistent and adopt a line/technique that is easily repeatable to use as my baseline, before I move on to more advanced techniques. I am also still learning car control on the S2000, as it's quite a tricky car to drive. My S2000 has no VSA but it comes with VGS. No VSA is fine, but the VGS is proving to be quite a handful to drive at my experience level. VSA is traction control and VGS is Variable Gearing Steering system for you BMW folks.

I was thinking of learning basic data analysis, because I think at my stage just basic analysis should help a little. And when I've reach a plateau and can't improve anymore, then I'll trouble the gurus here to help with more advanced analysis.

I have never driven on PG, but I used to track my bike there during my younger days when my balls used to be bigger. It'll be great if you can share the stock S2000 SIC data for me to use as a reference. I'm sure it'll help.

Although I didn't get to meet most of you guys, I could sense the friendly atmosphere all round. I'll try to interact more with you fellows during the next track day. Cheers!

totoseow;620261 said:
its the cheapest way to go fast. mod the driver. beats wasting sets of tires and modifications to your car.

Couldn't agree more, when I first started tracking, I kept my STI bone stock except for exhaust (must have some vroom vroom!) i got professional driver to set a target time for me to hit. I kept at it without moding my car till I was within 0.5s of the target time.

Sure that takes discipline but racing at the high levels require a lot of discipline. So my advice to drivers out there who are serious about driving, do the reliability mods and no power mods. Mod the driver first! But if you just enjoy modding and tracking for enjoyment, mod to your hearts content and just enjoy the car at your pace ;)

when you have 1 x liqui moly s2k come and jip your backside you sure go faster. :nehnehhh:

Hello friends, since you are all talking about Ascendant maybe I can add. Hope this is not too off topic ok. I decided to engage Shaun after seeing the great results he had in reducing a number of my friend's lap times including Ryan's and Jeremy's laptime through driver training only with nothing changed on or added to their Z4M and Superleggera. At that point I was already doing good timing in my Porsche 997TT @ 2.29 and had already gone though Porsche driver training at Mt. Cotton level 1, 2, 3 and 4. I knew I was an advanced driver, but felt I could go a little bit faster but was not sure where or how to do it.

Shaun took only one sample of my data and in a matter of minutes emailed me that there was 4 seconds to gain. He even identified exactly how many sectors and how many turns the time lay in and defined how many were from the line and how many from what he called aggression in 4 different areas of each turn. I was very surprised and even skeptical because I had friends telling me that what I was doing was already very good and that 1 second would be a good gain and already the limit. I even had a prominent Porsche racer telling me that I was already at the limit. I couldn't believe I had 4 seconds to go and had to take up the program to see for myself if it was really true.

To cut a long story short, in the very first cycle of the program I indeed did drop 4 seconds and from exactly the areas that Ascendant had identified in writing beforehand, based purely on data. I was completely amazed and could only conclude that such accuracy in identification comes from his extensive experience in professional racing. With this new level of knowledge I returned with confidence to the ZTH Time Attack finals in December 2010. In a previous round of the Time Attack before the Ascendant program I had run ok but not been in contention for podiums or wins. However, this time with nothing changed at all except my driving, I ran my personal best of 2:25 and won 2 trophies despite many other worthy exotics and sportscars in the competition.

Ascendant was there at the time attack to support me on run strategy, on confirming problems or making driving recommendations on the spot. I can certainly attest to the speed and accuracy of their work and it has been a major help. I can confirm that without the 4 seconds gained I would have zero trophies, but more importantly I would not be as knowledgeable, adaptable, consistent, or fast. I could not be more pleased with the results and am really looking forward to consulting Ascendant on setup changes and hardware upgrades. My usual service provider BVO (where I service and tune my Porsche, and Bernard is the man who taught me race techniques) will be helping me, but Ascendant will be guiding with precise data through sophisticated technology. I highly recommend all to improve their driving with Ascendant. A few of my friends have since taken up its program and they too are seeing the same level of improvement. I will leave them to tell their own experiences :) Pinpoint accuracy is great!

Wow guys...thanks for the support..I'm blown away... getting a bit embarrassing at this point.. maybe it should be split and all that stuff transferred to its own thread or the Ascendant site sponsor section

===

MachoMan;620284 said:
Is Chee Hon also known as Malcom? Or Ryan? I only spoke to a couple of guys that day, as I had too many things running through my head. My car is NOT showroom stock. Only power wise it's stock. So far I've got Coilovers, BBK, Clutch + Flywheel and Roll centre adjuster. Using the RE-11 on Sunday i did a 2:49. The day before (TCC track day) I did a 2:46 but I was on Yoko A050. I'm still very new to tracking, and am still trying out different lines and how different street tyres and semi-slicks feel like. I know my car can do much better times, because someone did a 2:41 in it. Hence it's all about upgrading the driver from here on.

Right now I'm not too concerned about laptimes (yet). My priority is to be consistent and adopt a line/technique that is easily repeatable to use as my baseline, before I move on to more advanced techniques. I am also still learning car control on the S2000, as it's quite a tricky car to drive. My S2000 has no VSA but it comes with VGS. No VSA is fine, but the VGS is proving to be quite a handful to drive at my experience level. VSA is traction control and VGS is Variable Gearing Steering system for you BMW folks.

I was thinking of learning basic data analysis, because I think at my stage just basic analysis should help a little. And when I've reach a plateau and can't improve anymore, then I'll trouble the gurus here to help with more advanced analysis.

I have never driven on PG, but I used to track my bike there during my younger days when my balls used to be bigger. It'll be great if you can share the stock S2000 SIC data for me to use as a reference. I'm sure it'll help.

Although I didn't get to meet most of you guys, I could sense the friendly atmosphere all round. I'll try to interact more with you fellows during the next track day. Cheers!

Machoman, oh you weren't the white S2000 at the trackday? I don't remember seeing another S2000 except Gerald's with the big decal on it and another white one with dark rims. Saw Chee Hon (not Malcolm and not Ryan) driving the plain white one.

If your car is not showroom stock then the data I have isn't really of much use to you because with those hardware upgrades it is too easy to reach the stock times. If you were stock like white one looked from the exterior, then it would be of much greater use to you mate. Good thoughts on the driving... keep on plugging! Might even want to forget about semi slicks first.. street tires are great for learning, and cheaper heheh

S2000s are lovely cars. You have excellent taste! hahah Do you know Slowman, another S2000 driver? Machoman, Slowman, Newman...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnpbali
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back