BMWSG Sepang Track Day 6 March 2011

Re: BMWSG Sepang Track Day 6 March 2011

totoseow;619923 said:
paying for data coaching is the cheapest way to improve. beats going round aimlessly over 10 trackdays n modifying ur cars.

Which is what I did before hiring Shaun..... only now you tell me! hahahaha... kidding bro I remember you telling me that earlier...

Elite;619905 said:
And thanks Shaun for baselining the wifey's cabrio :cool:

Fun in the rain for a while too hehe ...

No prob man.. such a cute car.. surprised how heavy it is though.. should have put the top down like you later did eh. What happened to the M5 again?

Next time will take the trouble to check and re-bleed the tires after first extended stint. I'm pretty sure we were running pressures some 3-4 psi over ideal after the first cold set.

Brakes held up pretty well.. quite surprising. Shouldn't have read about those M3 and Z4M catastrophic stock brake failures... psych... :(

Elite;619905 said:
Excellent TD -- Thanks Shawn as usual :goodup:

And thanks Shaun for baselining the wifey's cabrio :cool:

Fun in the rain for a while too hehe ...

was that a 120 cab? or a 135? din know pml brot 135 in. i checked with PIs too. nobody brot them in.

u guys shot past me so fast on the 2nd link in the morning....i cudnt believe it is just a 120?

arthur. tell eric to do data logging if he wants to improve. the 560 is a very easy car to clock good times.

Shaun;619928 said:
No prob man.. such a cute car.. surprised how heavy it is though.. should have put the top down like you later did eh. What happened to the M5 again?

Next time will take the trouble to check and re-bleed the tires after first extended stint. I'm pretty sure we were running pressures some 3-4 psi over ideal after the first cold set.

Brakes held up pretty well.. quite surprising. Shouldn't have read about those M3 and Z4M catastrophic stock brake failures... psych... :(

Thanks mate ! Not so heavy la ... M5 close to 160 kg more -- its probably just my fat butt in the car with you ...lol ....

The cab came with uprated BMW Performance brakes from the factory -- was doing 8 to 9 laps at one point no problem ... prob need to push harder lol

Full specs here -- BMW UK : BMW 135i M Sport Pricing and specification

M5 doing well -- just sharing the love around and figured the torquey little cab would be better in the heavy afternoon NS traffic :cloud9: Don't worry, Corsas are fresh and waiting for you to smash some records ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

totoseow;619930 said:
was that a 120 cab? or a 135? din know pml brot 135 in. i checked with PIs too. nobody brot them in.

u guys shot past me so fast on the 2nd link in the morning....i cudnt believe it is just a 120?

arthur. tell eric to do data logging if he wants to improve. the 560 is a very easy car to clock good times.

Hahaha .... quite the compliment considering the LP550 Limited edition you were in :)

Yes, its a 135 Cab -- w 7 gear DCT -- 1 more than the 1M :p .... Very versatile -- can carry the family in back and fit a full set of golf clubs -- with the top down :cool:

Yup -- believe Eric's been poisoned and will soon be following your footsteps ...hehehe ...

totoseow;619930 said:
the 560 is a very easy car to clock good times.

Sure anot? If that's true why's there only one datalog and tranponder confirmed example in the whole of Singapore and Malaysia? :p Group includes old SL, new SL, and 560.

Of course local motorsports giants like JP group are quality enough to be beyond any doubt, esp when they confirmed their own timing independently and without any leads, and when your own timings later lined up exactly with what they mentioned at that dinner.

totoseow;619930 said:

The damn buses overtake you on the N-S toto....

Elite;619934 said:
Thanks mate ! Not so heavy la ... M5 close to 160 kg more -- its probably just my fat butt in the car with you ...lol ....

The cab came with uprated BMW Performance brakes from the factory -- was doing 8 to 9 laps at one point no problem ... prob need to push harder lol

Full specs here -- BMW UK : BMW 135i M Sport Pricing and specification

M5 doing well -- just sharing the love around and figured the torquey little cab would be better in the heavy afternoon NS traffic :cloud9: Don't worry, Corsas are fresh and waiting for you to smash some records ;)

U data hoarding now too Arthur?????? hahaha good on you mate...

Oi Mr Gan, pass me the race logic. I want to data log my runs then we sit at Skybar and analyze this.

totoseow;619841 said:
got spin outs? i din see any

Should have a few la, one M3 spun right in front of me just after T14.
Eh your exos a bit soft le

TripleM;619963 said:
Oi Mr Gan, pass me the race logic. I want to data log my runs then we sit at Skybar and analyze this.

Oi Mr Hartini, remember the offer I sent you by PM before ok? :D

If we can just send a friendly reminder to the comrade who launched in the pitlane, please dont do it again. We love launches, we seriously do, but perhaps we can do that in the wide expanse of the carpark at the rear. Throw in a couple of donuts and reverse flicks while we're there, would be fun. Also, I spotted a convertible dropping the top while inside the track. I know it could be your cool-down lap also, but that speed while dropping the top is really too slow to be on the track. If you have seen what we've seen with regards to chiu cheng accidents, you'd know this is a rather bad idea, being a slow-moving metal wall on the tarmac. I'm not sure about Sepang's rules on dropping your top in your convertible (without a roll cage, and not referring to rollover hoops), and we've not decided if on a BMWSG level do we want to rule against topless driving (roof, not shirt/blouse). So in the meantime, you guys may wanna consider just leaving the top on. Just in case.

I've not decided if its too premature to post the registration for the May 7 TD. We're exactly 2 months away to this one. And we've already got a handful of participants with rollover track payment settled already. How?

Also, for those who are serious about benchmarking yourself of upping your game, it would be a pretty good idea to 1) find a very experienced driver to set a 1 x quick lap in your car for you. 2) datalog the lap down and use it as your improvement reference point.

Over the course of tracking in Sepang for the past 9 years, I find it refreshing to speak to and compare notes with others, even till today, because very often some other experienced drivers have other viewpoints and style of driving that even a lao jiao can learn from and pick up. In nature, they call that expanding the gene pool. So our track days will be good for newbies picking up the sport, and for good drivers to become excellent ones. Good right?

Racebred;619979 said:
If we can just send a friendly reminder to the comrade who launched in the pitlane, please dont do it again. We love launches, we seriously do, but perhaps we can do that in the wide expanse of the carpark at the rear. Throw in a couple of donuts and reverse flicks while we're there, would be fun. Also, I spotted a convertible dropping the top while inside the track. I know it could be your cool-down lap also, but that speed while dropping the top is really too slow to be on the track. If you have seen what we've seen with regards to chiu cheng accidents, you'd know this is a rather bad idea, being a slow-moving metal wall on the tarmac. I'm not sure about Sepang's rules on dropping your top in your convertible (without a roll cage, and not referring to rollover hoops), and we've not decided if on a BMWSG level do we want to rule against topless driving (roof, not shirt/blouse). So in the meantime, you guys may wanna consider just leaving the top on. Just in case.

I've not decided if its too premature to post the registration for the May 7 TD. We're exactly 2 months away to this one. And we've already got a handful of participants with rollover track payment settled already. How?

Also, for those who are serious about benchmarking yourself of upping your game, it would be a pretty good idea to 1) find a very experienced driver to set a 1 x quick lap in your car for you. 2) datalog the lap down and use it as your improvement reference point.

Over the course of tracking in Sepang for the past 9 years, I find it refreshing to speak to and compare notes with others, even till today, because very often some other experienced drivers have other viewpoints and style of driving that even a lao jiao can learn from and pick up. In nature, they call that expanding the gene pool. So our track days will be good for newbies picking up the sport, and for good drivers to become excellent ones. Good right?
Sounds great. I am looking forward to the next one.

I'm not sure about Sepang's rules on dropping your top in your convertible (without a roll cage, and not referring to rollover hoops), and we've not decided if on a BMWSG level do we want to rule against topless driving (roof, not shirt/blouse). So in the meantime, you guys may wanna consider just leaving the top on. Just in case.
SIC has no stand on drop tops. TCC and other trackdays allow drop tops too and lots of cabriolets run around that way. It is often cooler in the cabin with the top down and the lower CG helps times usually. Additional protection offered by raised soft top in a rollover is nil, though in a non-rollover it can add some protection from debris from behind or raining down I guess. Rollover loads are taken up almost entirely by the A pillars and the roll hoops behind head.

Foldable hardtop versions probably offer some rollover protection when raised though.

I would vote to leave drop top option to drivers :) The experience of driving at speed on track top down is a nice one.

harold996tt;619950 said:
U data hoarding now too Arthur?????? hahaha good on you mate...

yea ! Shuan and PBox's the best :goodup:

After all the punishment on the car at the track and $$$ on wear and tear items, its only fair to take something useful back .... lol

Racebred;619979 said:
I find it refreshing to speak to and compare notes with others, even till today, because very often some other experienced drivers have other viewpoints and style of driving that even a lao jiao can learn from and pick up.

This is exactly what makes a forum great:

1) All posters are responsible for what they say and it all is down on record
2) The knowledge being shared doesn't benefit just 1 or 2 people, but all who read and think
3) A can't really talk rubbish to B without the rick of C, D, E, F reasoning to his better judgement or providing proof to the contrary
4) A much clearer and accurate conclusion can be reached on almost all technical issues
5) The platform allows visual aids to be attached to supplement a point

It sure beats all the inaccurate, soon forgotten, innocently or intentionally twisted, or soon twisted words and numbers, or plain erroneous info and concepts that get thrown around so often at supper, at the bar, at workshops, in garages, pitlane, over lunch, etc.

Somehow there is an aversion to this in local culture though. When any local gets really serious and needs to find some really solid info on anything at all, he has to go to an overseas forum to get it. It's ridiculous. Let's build our own knowledge, data, test, theory base!

===

Jeremy, Harold, Arthur, thanks for your testimonials.. I really should update with some new pages, articles, videos, etc. But it all takes time...soon though..

Fun track day in spite of the rain... although I was a bit surprised at the race cars that showed up... ahem

Shaun;619988 said:
SIC has no stand on drop tops. TCC and other trackdays allow drop tops too and lots of cabriolets run around that way. It is often cooler in the cabin with the top down and the lower CG helps times usually. Additional protection offered by raised soft top in a rollover is nil, though in a non-rollover it can add some protection from debris from behind or raining down I guess. Rollover loads are taken up almost entirely by the A pillars and the roll hoops behind head.

Foldable hardtop versions probably offer some rollover protection when raised though.

I would vote to leave drop top option to drivers :) The experience of driving at speed on track top down is a nice one.

Aha .... I knew that was a scientific explanation why the timings were better with the top down ;)

Apart from lower CG, I suppose the weight distribution is better too with the roof tucked away in the rear ?

Good thinking mate :)

Racebred;619979 said:

A big thank you for handling the March bookings so well... under pressure:) I'm sure I'm not alone in hoping that you continue to provide us with brilliant track days.

I sense your trepidation to open for business after the last round;) but I think there will naturally be more seriousness towards making payment immediately this time round for obvious reasons.

May I suggest that the list of interested parties is prefixed by "TENTATIVE BOOKINGS ONLY" to avoid confusion from the get go.

Then you add "FULLY PAID" as payments are made. Which I suspect will be sooner rather than later if the listed are serious about going.

Just a suggestion... hope it helps

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnpbali
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back