BMWSG Sepang Track Day 6 March 2011

Re: BMWSG Sepang Track Day 6 March 2011

Shaun;619970 said:
Oi Mr Hartini, remember the offer I sent you by PM before ok? :D

Yep yep I remember
Just that this Mr Gan has got two units and he's not using one of them so might as well let me take over.

dino;620320 said:
Hello friends, since you are all talking about Ascendant maybe I can add. Hope this is not too off topic ok. I decided to engage Shaun after seeing the great results he had in reducing a number of my friend's lap times including Ryan's and Jeremy's laptime through driver training only with nothing changed on or added to their Z4M and Superleggera. At that point I was already doing good timing in my Porsche 997TT @ 2.29 and had already gone though Porsche driver training at Mt. Cotton level 1, 2, 3 and 4. I knew I was an advanced driver, but felt I could go a little bit faster but was not sure where or how to do it.

Shaun took only one sample of my data and in a matter of minutes emailed me that there was 4 seconds to gain. He even identified exactly how many sectors and how many turns the time lay in and defined how many were from the line and how many from what he called aggression in 4 different areas of each turn. I was very surprised and even skeptical because I had friends telling me that what I was doing was already very good and that 1 second would be a good gain and already the limit. I even had a prominent Porsche racer telling me that I was already at the limit. I couldn't believe I had 4 seconds to go and had to take up the program to see for myself if it was really true.

To cut a long story short, in the very first cycle of the program I indeed did drop 4 seconds and from exactly the areas that Ascendant had identified in writing beforehand, based purely on data. I was completely amazed and could only conclude that such accuracy in identification comes from his extensive experience in professional racing. With this new level of knowledge I returned with confidence to the ZTH Time Attack finals in December 2010. In a previous round of the Time Attack before the Ascendant program I had run ok but not been in contention for podiums or wins. However, this time with nothing changed at all except my driving, I ran my personal best of 2:25 and won 2 trophies despite many other worthy exotics and sportscars in the competition.

Ascendant was there at the time attack to support me on run strategy, on confirming problems or making driving recommendations on the spot. I can certainly attest to the speed and accuracy of their work and it has been a major help. I can confirm that without the 4 seconds gained I would have zero trophies, but more importantly I would not be as knowledgeable, adaptable, consistent, or fast. I could not be more pleased with the results and am really looking forward to consulting Ascendant on setup changes and hardware upgrades. My usual service provider BVO (where I service and tune my Porsche, and Bernard is the man who taught me race techniques) will be helping me, but Ascendant will be guiding with precise data through sophisticated technology. I highly recommend all to improve their driving with Ascendant. A few of my friends have since taken up its program and they too are seeing the same level of improvement. I will leave them to tell their own experiences :) Pinpoint accuracy is great!

Dino, whatever the case, you are still gaylord.... toto say one.

jwwu;620265 said:
Though I have never officially joined the Ascendant program, I have had quite a bit of help from Shaun.

Shaun really has great knowledge and a passion for this stuff. I've never paid a cent and he has spent hours going over things with me by email, recommending books and sources of information, discussing various dynamics. I've seen him do the same on other forums, including this one. He is always happy to help those who help themselves and put in at least some effort... I was fortunate enough to sit in on a session with one of his other clients who is a friend of mine. The things he has shared with us have certainly helped improve my driving and I still have not stopped going faster. Perhaps when I get stuck, I will pay and hop on the program :)

Oh and it's not only exotic car or racecar drivers that he helps. Even a humble Evo driver like me he is passionate about getting to go faster. I was one of the 2 white Evo X's on Sunday's track day...

humble evo driver???? Hey bro at least yours is a X, I'm still running an IX!!!

TripleM;620364 said:
Yep yep I remember
Just that this Mr Gan has got two units and he's not using one of them so might as well let me take over.

I may as well take over the other unit since he decided to quit track altogether. :lol2:

harold996tt;620368 said:
Dino, whatever the case, you are still gaylord.... toto say one.

That I concur...with a name like Dino?!, Fabio?!...hahaha...

Shaun, how do you allocate time for each driver on the track as I understand there are quite a number on your program right now?

Scuderia;620429 said:
Shaun, how do you allocate time for each driver on the track as I understand there are quite a number on your program right now?

Hi Phil, the cool thing is that all of the drivers who are focused enough to really care about efficiency and go the analytical route kind of already all know each other as friends because of the common mindset and aim. So they're all really considerate of each other and even check who's already booked so as to not clash with them.

The ultra low volume trackdays like Ferrari Club, Eurosports, Porsche Club etc. where drivers are generally all gentlemen and all conservative, and where privacy is the highest, are usually the most in demand trackdays for the trackside coaching component of the program. In case of conflict, priority will go to the drivers who paid the earliest and/or committed to the largest package like a 4 or 6 cycle package. Usually even when it comes to a head, I just have to explain nicely and one of them will usually voluntarily postpone his with no hard feelings. Lately though, Ascendant has been considering expanding its trackside support team to include co-coaches.. more news soon.

Outside of the premium trackdays, there are so many Singaporean trackdays to pick from and in my experience, all are fine. Even a few of the Malaysian organized trackdays are A-OK. The beauty of data is that you don't necessarily need a very clear trackday to know a very accurate overall best traffic free laptime. Up to about the last cycle or so, when it's down to the finest points and final confirmation of really running clear lap to put it down onto record, does a clear track take on greater importance.

Do let me know if you'd like to get a data system or start on a program to further understanding and get those times down and repeatably so :D Cheers man

Last edited by a moderator:

Also, there are quite a number of drivers who wish for complete privacy and for no one to know that they're being coached. No names mentioned, no hints, no sharing of data, no photos or videos, no testimonials. Ascendant Motorsport is happy to accommodate these wishes and can book trackdays where no one knows who you are or your name either.

Shaun;620535 said:
Also, there are quite a number of drivers who wish for complete privacy and for no one to know that they're being coached. No names mentioned, no hints, no sharing of data, no photos or videos, no testimonials. Ascendant Motorsport is happy to accommodate these wishes and can book trackdays where no one knows who you are or your name either.

Sharing Is Caring! Kastono's famous last words.

ryan;620240 said:
I know I'm an old friend of Shaun's but I say this without bias and purely based on the results: Do yourself a favour if you're serious about driving and go on the Ascendant program.

I've been through a number of high quality driving courses overseas as well as locally and while they were useful and the experience was great, the Ascendant program has made the biggest difference to my laptimes. The logic, data, never forgetting is just awesome. Just look at the improvements Jeremy, Lung, Ronnie, Simon, Fong, Nick, Leang, Harold, Royce, etc. have made. Nuff said!

:)

Oh i'm also close to a consistent 2:36 laptimes but trying to break into 2:35s...............

Royce?

The same Royce we know or someone else?

:D

'The Great White'

Shaun;620334 said:
Machoman, oh you weren't the white S2000 at the trackday? I don't remember seeing another S2000 except Gerald's with the big decal on it and another white one with dark rims. Saw Chee Hon (not Malcolm and not Ryan) driving the plain white one.

If your car is not showroom stock then the data I have isn't really of much use to you because with those hardware upgrades it is too easy to reach the stock times. If you were stock like white one looked from the exterior, then it would be of much greater use to you mate. Good thoughts on the driving... keep on plugging! Might even want to forget about semi slicks first.. street tires are great for learning, and cheaper heheh

S2000s are lovely cars. You have excellent taste! hahah Do you know Slowman, another S2000 driver? Machoman, Slowman, Newman...

Hi Shaun, the guy you are referring to is Malcolm, the owner of the white stockish S2000 with dark rims. There were three S2000 on that day. Malcolm's, Gerald's and mine. My S2000 is the dark grey one.

The grip of street tyres cannot be compared to semi-slick. But while the street tyre has less grip, it's more forgiving. I feel that it gives way much slower than semi-slicks. When the semi-slicks lose grip, it does so VERY quickly. I'll probably finish off this present set of semi-slicks, then continue tracking on my RE-11. Do you have any books to recommend on data analysis? I'm reading Henry Watt's "Secret To Solo Racing", and just ordered "Going Faster" by Carl Lopez :cool:

Yea when the AP1 first started production in the late 90's, it was love at first sight. It took me ten years to finally be able to afford one :inlove: Nope I don't know Slowman or Newman. I hardly go for the kopi meet ups. I only know a few of those whom I met at Sepang.

UK_STi;620310 said:
So my advice to drivers out there who are serious about driving, do the reliability mods and no power mods. Mod the driver first!

I agree completely. That's why I've stopped modding already. Currently my car is very reliable. No issues with the brakes at all. Gonna save all my money for tyres and brake pads.

Machoman, the Carl Lopez book will be an eye opener. It's one of the main books I refer people to. It lays out the basic concepts more clearly than all other driving books. The concepts are supported with sample data too and based on physical truth. Besides the industry truths that have been established for decades, when you go further and look at the accomplishments of the drivers who add human depth of experience to the concepts, you see that it eclipses any local driver by at least a couple fold.

What you learn in the book will help you separate the true from false. There is too much false floating around in the enthusiast realm because of lack of actual controlled testing, data, and generally oversized egos (it is entirely possible to be a very good driver, but talk false concepts way beyond your actual understanding of why and how). The book (if you can just trust it at first - and why not with such high quality endorsement by career pros at top levels), will help you think clearly and help you test in the right ways. Subsequently when you look at your data you will see that there are almost no exceptions to what the book teaches and you'll never forget the concepts. The few exceptions will lead to further questions and then you'll be well on your way to advanced concepts and seeking more powerful data systems and deeper dynamics textbooks - all of which to run higher level testing with.

Shaun;620527 said:
Hi Phil, the cool thing is that all of the drivers who are focused enough to really care about efficiency and go the analytical route kind of already all know each other as friends because of the common mindset and aim. So they're all really considerate of each other and even check who's already booked so as to not clash with them.

The ultra low volume trackdays like Ferrari Club, Eurosports, Porsche Club etc. where drivers are generally all gentlemen and all conservative, and where privacy is the highest, are usually the most in demand trackdays for the trackside coaching component of the program. In case of conflict, priority will go to the drivers who paid the earliest and/or committed to the largest package like a 4 or 6 cycle package. Usually even when it comes to a head, I just have to explain nicely and one of them will usually voluntarily postpone his with no hard feelings. Lately though, Ascendant has been considering expanding its trackside support team to include co-coaches.. more news soon.

Outside of the premium trackdays, there are so many Singaporean trackdays to pick from and in my experience, all are fine. Even a few of the Malaysian organized trackdays are A-OK. The beauty of data is that you don't necessarily need a very clear trackday to know a very accurate overall best traffic free laptime. Up to about only cycle or so when it's down to the finest points and final confirmation of really running clear lap to put it down onto record, does a clear track take on greater importance.

Do let me know if you'd like to get a data system or start on a program to further understanding and get those times down and repeatably so :D Cheers man

Shaun, thanks for the detailed info. Please email me your details so we can keep in touch. Cheers.

looks like a wicked TD!! the white S2000 that poke GT3, very TSK TSK TSK!! new owner somemore! :D :D

Shaun;620625 said:
Machoman, the Carl Lopez book will be an eye opener. It's one of the main books I refer people to. It lays out the basic concepts more clearly than all other driving books. The concepts are supported with sample data too and based on physical truth. Besides the industry truths that have been established for decades, when you go further and look at the accomplishments of the drivers who add human depth of experience to the concepts, you see that it eclipses any local driver by at least a couple fold.

What you learn in the book will help you separate the true from false. There is too much false floating around in the enthusiast realm because of lack of actual controlled testing, data, and generally oversized egos (it is entirely possible to be a very good driver, but talk false concepts way beyond your actual understanding of why and how). The book (if you can just trust it at first - and why not with such high quality endorsement by career pros at top levels), will help you think clearly and help you test in the right ways. Subsequently when you look at your data you will see that there are almost no exceptions to what the book teaches and you'll never forget the concepts. The few exceptions will lead to further questions and then you'll be well on your way to advanced concepts and seeking more powerful data systems and deeper dynamics textbooks - all of which to run higher level testing with.

But why bother reading and trying to figure out if I am applying the theory correctly when I can just get you tell me what I am screwing up especially given all the data you have analysed and drivers you have looked at whilst tracking Sepang specifically? Especially as I may refuse to acknowledge my own weaknesses when reading a text and applying to my own data without external validation. Neh, think I will just get you to tell me what a crap driver I am.

GTR... prepare for an aXXwhooping....

harold996tt;620915 said:
But why bother reading and trying to figure out if I am applying the theory correctly when I can just get you tell me what I am screwing up especially given all the data you have analysed and drivers you have looked at whilst tracking Sepang specifically? Especially as I may refuse to acknowledge my own weaknesses when reading a text and applying to my own data without external validation. Neh, think I will just get you to tell me what a crap driver I am.

GTR... prepare for an aXXwhooping....

Thanks for the vote of confidence, but well some people who have more time and less money, or who enjoy working at technical problems, or working in complete privacy, may like to run their own long term study and testing program to see where it takes them :)

Looks like you guys had a great trackday. Really unfortunate I had to miss out on this one due to work commitments, was hoping to get my car baselined by Shaun or Gerald. Hopefully will get a chance to do so for the upcoming one!

Shaun;620922 said:
but well some people who have more time and less money, or who enjoy working at technical problems

I must admit that I am poor and enjoy working at technical stuff. Now I'm really looking forward to the book. This forum is really great. Lots of info and VERY active. Hope to meet uo with you guys in person soon. Cheers!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j888top
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back