BMWSG Sepang Track Day 6 March 2011

Re: BMWSG Sepang Track Day 6 March 2011

I hear your feedback... lemme try to refine the process from next one onwards.

In the meantime, there's also an option of opening up the car limit to say 50, if everyone's agreeable. Pros and cons are that more people can participate in this track day, but the quality of the td might be compromised. It does go against the grain of our bmwsg td, which has always been one of comfortable space on the track. But this being a track day 5 months since the last, there should be greater participatory demand. Perhaps this can be a once-off thing, to increase the 40 car limit to encompass more interested trackkies. comments?

Racebred, first off thanks for organising.

I think Munich Auto's sudden and mass booking of over one-third of the track day slots - without first posting their intention to join - is not cool. Since January, the rest of us have been indicating our interest through this forum thread, putting down our details etc. I understand that until payment is made, nothing's final, but what is the point of the list if there is a risk of getting kicked off for not having yet paid... especially since we are still in the early bird phase?

And who are these nameless/faceless 15 from Munich Auto? They should join the track day through the forum.

On the limit of number of cars: would prefer to keep it to 40 for selfish reasons. BMWsg track days are great because they well organised and not as crowded as the others.

Racebred;612529 said:
I hear your feedback... lemme try to refine the process from next one onwards.

In the meantime, there's also an option of opening up the car limit to say 50, if everyone's agreeable. Pros and cons are that more people can participate in this track day, but the quality of the td might be compromised. It does go against the grain of our bmwsg td, which has always been one of comfortable space on the track. But this being a track day 5 months since the last, there should be greater participatory demand. Perhaps this can be a once-off thing, to increase the 40 car limit to encompass more interested trackkies. comments?

As a newbie this makes me tad nervous. There does seem to be a lot of newbies in the list. My feeling is that the safety level just went down a little bit.

No lah!;)

Counting down the days:)

I completely agree with louis and jwwu.

Its disappointing that a car dealer (site sponsor or not) using the bmwsg track day as a marketing event. What makes it more offensive is that they did it at the early bird rate which is not even making any meaningful contribution to our track fund...

I am a regular trackie and bmwsg track days are one of the best (if not the best) around. They are well organised by great guys who volunteer their time with no profit incentive. These track days are about forum members meeting in person at the track, finding out people's real names (not just nicks) and having some fun with friends.

What would have been the reaction if PML blocked 15 slots at the early bird rate for their customers? We would have told them to get lost and take their customers to one of their private events... I don’t think the current situation is any different

I think a better arrangement is if a commercial entity wants to reserve places they should sponsor the track day. That means placing the Sepang booking deposit (so we dont need to use our reserve funds) and offering a concessional track fee for forum members. I would get off my ass and pay my track fees early if that was the case...

btw, re max number of cars, wasn’t this discussed in a thread recently and 40 was agreed? I think the excess demand for this track day is due to exceptional circumstances.

cheers

jwwu;612538 said:

I think Munich Auto's sudden and mass booking of over one-third of the track day slots - without first posting their intention to join - is not cool. Since January, the rest of us have been indicating our interest through this forum thread, putting down our details etc. I understand that until payment is made, nothing's final, but what is the point of the list if there is a risk of getting kicked off for not having yet paid... especially since we are still in the early bird phase?

And who are these nameless/faceless 15 from Munich Auto? They should join the track day through the forum.

On the limit of number of cars: would prefer to keep it to 40 for selfish reasons. BMWsg track days are great because they well organised and not as crowded as the others.

louis;612462 said:
Munich Auto.... power....chope so many slots!

If there is so much demand for track time by clients of Munich Auto, perhaps it should take a leaf from Eurosports and organise its own track days (and invite potential customers from the BMW forum along too)

Would be a much better PR move than denying regular trackies and bona fide forum members their track day through a massive block booking of TD slots.

I think the 2 main things that set BMWsg trackdays apart, are low car counts and that most of the participants know everyone else and so are more respectful in their driving. I think keeping to 40 is better.

Last edited by a moderator:

jwwu;612538 said:

dazza;612562 said:
As a newbie this makes me tad nervous. There does seem to be a lot of newbies in the list. My feeling is that the safety level just went down a little bit.

kuvesh;612574 said:
I completely agree with louis and jwwu.

Its disappointing that a car dealer (site sponsor or not) using the bmwsg track day as a marketing event. What makes it more offensive is that they did it at the early bird rate which is not even making any meaningful contribution to our track fund...

I am a regular trackie and bmwsg track days are one of the best (if not the best) around. They are well organised by great guys who volunteer their time with no profit incentive. These track days are about forum members meeting in person at the track, finding out people's real names (not just nicks) and having some fun with friends.

What would have been the reaction if PML blocked 15 slots at the early bird rate for their customers? We would have told them to get lost and take their customers to one of their private events... I don’t think the current situation is any different

I think a better arrangement is if a commercial entity wants to reserve places they should sponsor the track day. That means placing the Sepang booking deposit (so we dont need to use our reserve funds) and offering a concessional track fee for forum members. I would get off my ass and pay my track fees early if that was the case...

btw, re max number of cars, wasn’t this discussed in a thread recently and 40 was agreed? I think the excess demand for this track day is due to exceptional circumstances.

cheers

Shaun;612602 said:
I think the 2 main things that set BMWsg trackdays apart, are low car counts and that most of the participants know everyone else and so are more respectful in their driving. I think keeping to 40 is better.

all agree....

rb 50 cars is too much....i think this round...we really hv to split the new chaps up n intensify the briefing..

dazza;612562 said:

Everyone was a newbie once and newbies are obviously welcome. :thumbsup:

But yes, more newbies = more cars driving too fast or too slow = more dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaun;612602 said:

Agreed...50 too crowded :hmmidont:

first of all bmwsg is not marque discriminatory. im sure munich is very welcome here. but it wud be good to see them coming in early rather than late. M cars r very much more part of the family here than any other makes. by coming in late n blocking so many slots, they r overcrowding the rest suddenly. whatever happened to first come first serve? whatever happend to the quota?

also MA shud put names of their drivers, or risk isolating themselves n being seen as atas by non M drivers.

although i may stand to benefit from a raised quota for this TD, i agree that the limit should remain at 40 cars.

Since these 15 drivers are nameless and not known to forum members, is this not a violation of the limitation we had set below? Which forum member can vouch for the safety and behaviour of these 15 from Munich Auto?

Racebred;606240 said:
This track day is reserved only for BMWSG members and their invited friends.

Actually the reason I joined the BMW track days is because of the low car count. From my experience as a newbie, too much traffic hinders the learning curve and poses additional difficulties, even though different things can be learnt with traffic around. I'm new to this forum and I do not drive a BMW, but if my opinion counts, I'll prefer 40 cars. But it's OK with me to make an exception this time round :)

PS. Thanks to Racebred for organising!

hi i am newbie can i just follow the convoy up to Sepang and just watch? Dont worry I wont intrude on the track or add to your 40 car limit....i just wana watch from the side line?

Racebred,

Are friends allowed to come to watch from grandstand/pits etc. No driving. No track passenger?

dazza

sure why now. watch is free. make sure ur friends r BUs tho

I was just told by Shaun the track day is full with a long waiting list. I shall wait for the next opportunity . I will still visit you guys there, as well as meeting up with Ryan and Shaun.

Hi,

I do feel that BMW.SG Admin has messed up on this registration. No flame intended.

Given what is happening, I think it is pretty pointless to have a list of interetested parties.

Better to just have forumers fill up a list of paid attendees. Those who paid gets to fill up their names and those who don't, no need to.

What is the initial intention of having the list? To know what cars are being driven and what sort of experience etc etc?

MA has come in via. the Admin and book 15 slots like that, no need for listing etc which implies that only paying is needed.

What is needed is a paid list, not a list of interest if this is how it is going to be.

I hope I am not being too straightforward here. It seems and feels wrong although I can only say, capitalism rules but somehow it goes against the mantra of a forum trackday. Perhaps Admin will like to come up with some clarifications. Personally, I am not attending this trackday and have for some time not attended BMW SG Forum trackdays. Big thanks to those who are organising these trackdays out of their free time. Hopefully, you are able to see this post as an iteration to help improve the registration process.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mksport8com
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back