BMWSG Sepang Track Day Sat 7 May

Re: BMWSG Sepang Track Day Sat 7 May

Mockngbrd;624066 said:
Side track abit, how fast does the 'official' convoy go?

Hey Mockngbrd,

For the march TD, RB and myself agreed to set max spd to 150kmh in clear traffic conditions.

All cars have to stick to their designated position in the convoy(no overtaking, high speed runs etc) with the less powerful cars closer to the front and the more powerful cars to the rear. No tailgating as well of course. The sweeper at the rear has a walkie and so does the lead car, and they communicate to let faster cars passing from the rear through.

If there is rain/bad visibility we can only go as fast as conditions dictate.

TripleM;624081 said:
depends on your leaders but always sound out when one is not comfortable with the speed.
it's very relaxing to drive at 130-150kmh kinda speed..

always maintain gap, the rule is 1car length for every 10kmh ..

LOL, if taking along the 1.5 Impreza again I would have to draft behind another car...

The last time I drafted along a bus I saved quite an amount of fuel... =)

I would love to join the convoy but I'm almost embarrassed to say my personal preference is no more than 130km/h. In my last trip up for a 9am trackday, I left at about 4.30am from the Tuas Petronas station, maintained an average of 110km/h ~ 120km/h on the way up, and arrived early with more than enough time for refueling and some rest before the event. It was comfortable, relaxing, and most importantly safe. I think most experienced trackies will acknowledge that the most dangerous part of any trackday at Sepang is the drive up and down the NSHW. Also, I recently heard of an old Subaru club friend lost control of his vehicle on the NSHW in the rain, had an accident and sadly passed away, just before Chinese New Year.

That said, I think it's very good discipline that you guys are enforcing here. A convoy should be just that, a convoy. No overtaking or funny antics, because those sort of things should be left for the track (on second thoughts, probably not as well). The main thing is to get there and back in one piece (and minimal stone chips).

Gerald81;624242 said:
I would love to join the convoy but I'm almost embarrassed to say my personal preference is no more than 130km/h. In my last trip up for a 9am trackday, I left at about 4.30am from the Tuas Petronas station, maintained an average of 110km/h ~ 120km/h on the way up, and arrived early with more than enough time for refueling and some rest before the event. It was comfortable, relaxing, and most importantly safe. I think most experienced trackies will acknowledge that the most dangerous part of any trackday at Sepang is the drive up and down the NSHW. Also, I recently heard of an old Subaru club friend lost control of his vehicle on the NSHW in the rain, had an accident and sadly passed away, just before Chinese New Year.

That said, I think it's very good discipline that you guys are enforcing here. A convoy should be just that, a convoy. No overtaking or funny antics, because those sort of things should be left for the track (on second thoughts, probably not as well). The main thing is to get there and back in one piece (and minimal stone chips).

Hey you no fun gutless oversafe idiot, please go and stand in a corner. Yeah that would be my corner too :D

Glad there are voices like yours around to balance the braver ones so drivers especially newbies can consider both sides.

Cheers

Turns out I'll be busy at the trackday in another car, so my slot (number 16) is for sale at original early bird price. PM me your name and number and I will send you my account details for transfer. If I do not reply within 24 hours, please assume the slot is already taken and there's no time to reply individually to everyone. Thanks

Shaun;624294 said:
Turns out I'll be busy at the trackday in another car, so my slot (number 16) is for sale at original early bird price. PM me your name and number and I will send you my account details for transfer. If I do not reply within 24 hours, please assume the slot is already taken and there's no time to reply individually to everyone. Thanks

Oh shucks. I was still wondering if you could teach me a thing or two about how to drive the S2000!

MachoMan;624319 said:
Oh shucks. I was still wondering if you could teach me a thing or two about how to drive the S2000!

Machoman, do you do any other trackdays besides BMWsg? It's tough at a good quality trackday like BMWsg because there are at least 5 others like you trying to get tips here and there. For a start you can send your data since you already have a datalogger, will reply if and when there is time. Trackside you can get the kind old birds for free to help you out and see if they can help you ID exactly where you can improve and if they're even a better driver than you in the first place . Some focused enthusiasts are already up there and a drive alone doesn't really help anymore just watching, listening to descriptions, etc.

If you ever get stuck or tired of messing around with processes that take a lot of time for little gain, or you keep getting conflicting advice from equally experienced 'experts' floating around at every trackday, then since you like technical things, reading, working on your own problems, you should have no problem falling back to fundamental truths and quantitative testing based on that. We can run that program for you, or we can help you get started running your own program, and from there you filter out yourself what is true and what is false, learn who to trust and who not to, and hasten your progression.

Just remember that there are no driving gods - they all have to obey physics, it's just how well they drive within those laws. If you measure it, the limits are clear and apply to all. Factors which truly differentiate a pro driver as a whole, exist nearly entirely outside of the single timed laps, but that's a whole other post for later. Can't rely on human perception, descriptions, stories, etc. else we stagnate.

Cheers

===

Track slot taken by Dazza, thanks.

1. Lingus / S5 / Newbie (Paid - Early Bird)
2. KWY91/ 335i / Newbie (Paid - Early Bird)
3. Brandon Lee / Golf GTI (Paid - Early Bird)
4. Pin / Subaru / (Paid - Early Bird)
5. Karam / Evo X / (Paid - Early Bird)
6. Nickster / 318is (Paid - Early Bird)
7. Andyxgy (Paid - Early Bird)
8. ac323 / Z4 / No newbie (Paid - Early Bird)
9. Eunice / 135i / no newbie (Paid - Early Bird)
10. Ryan / Z4 / (Paid - Early Bird)
11. Kuvesh / evo x / no (Paid - Early Bird)
12. Jwwu / evo x / no (Paid - Early Bird)
13. godjira1/ 996gt3 / no + Extra driver (Paid - Early Bird)
14. Eric Ong / LP560-4 / Yes
15. Elite / M5 / no + Extra drive (Paid - Early Bird)
16. Dazza / 335 / yes (Paid - Early Bird)
17. MockngBrd / 318is / noob
18. Gerald81 / Impreza / No (Paid - Early Bird)
19. MachoMan / S2000 / No (Paid - Early Bird)
20. Bacon7 / M3 / Yes (Paid - Early Bird)
21. Amar / M3 / Yes (Paid - Early Bird)
22. Harold996TT/ GTR (hope I make one lap without transmission blowing up)/ No
23. Niva/M3/ no newbie (Paid - Early Bird)
24. chongster/M3/newbie (Paid - Early Bird)
25. Dave / - / No (Paid - Early Bird)
26. YZYgold / clk200 / newbie (Paid - Early Bird)
27. RaidenGear / Z4 / newbie + Extra Driver (Paid - Early Bird)
28. TripleM / GT3 / Oldbie
29. cjc81 / A5 / newbie (Paid - Early Bird)
30. Dre / M3 / no (Paid - Early Bird)
31. ChrisJoo / Boxster Spyder / newbie (Paid - Early Bird)
32. Whitenight/E93/Newbie (Paid - Early Bird)
33. Louis / Exige (Paid - Early Bird)
34. stanch / evo9 / No (Paid - Early Bird)
35. shem / mini cooper S / No (Paid - Early Bird)
36.dcs2k / z4 / no (Paid - Early Bird)
37.mike59 / A5 / Newbie (Paid - Early Bird)
38. Raymond / 335i / Newbie (Paid - Early Bird)
39. Justin / GTI / Newbie (Paid - Early Bird)
40. eggz / E92 M3 - (Paid - Early Bird)
41. linus2608/GTI/newbie ( Paid - Early Bird)
42. Oliver / GTR / no
43. Vincent Toe / M3 / Newbie (Paid - Early Bird)
44. Aloysius Fong / M3 / Newbie (Paid - Early Bird)
45. NTY/GT3/No (Paid - Early Bird)

OFFICIAL BMWSG CONVOY LIST (pls provide me with your contact number for logistics arrangement)
1. Karam
2. RaidenGear
3. Vincent Toe
4. Bacon7

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaun;624453 said:
Machoman, do you do any other trackdays besides BMWsg? It's tough at a good quality trackday like BMWsg because there are at least 5 others like you trying to get tips here and there. For a start you can send your data since you already have a datalogger, will reply if and when there is time. Trackside you can get the kind old birds for free to help you out and see if they can help you ID exactly where you can improve and if they're even a better driver than you in the first place . Some focused enthusiasts are already up there and a drive alone doesn't really help anymore just watching, listening to descriptions, etc.

If you ever get stuck or tired of messing around with processes that take a lot of time for little gain, or you keep getting conflicting advice from equally experienced 'experts' floating around at every trackday, then since you like technical things, reading, working on your own problems, you should have no problem falling back to fundamental truths and quantitative testing based on that. We can run that program for you, or we can help you get started running your own program, and from there you filter out yourself what is true and what is false, learn who to trust and who not to, and hasten your progression.

Just remember that there are no driving gods - they all have to obey physics, it's just how well they drive within those laws. If you measure it, the limits are clear and apply to all. Factors which truly differentiate a pro driver as a whole, exist nearly entirely outside of the single timed laps, but that's a whole other post for later. Can't rely on human perception, descriptions, stories, etc. else we stagnate.

Cheers

Hi Shaun,

I'm also going for the 22APR TCC track day, although registration for that track day hasn't started yet. Yea now that I'm getting to know more people around, it's easier to get tips from them. All inputs are welcome, but like you said, sometimes the inputs from equally experienced people can be conflicting. And I do not have the knowledge or experience to decide what's right. Perhaps more seat time will let me find out what works for me.

I like reading and analysing technical stuff, but I'm still relatively new when it comes to motorsports. What kind of quantitative testing program can I do on my own? Also when it comes to progression through data analysis, it makes sense to compare/overlay a faster driver's data onto mine, and see where or how he's faster. But what if I only have my own data to work on? How to I make use of my own data to improve myself?

I like your quote "there are no driving gods - they all have to obey physics". How true. BTW, you got a PM. Thanks for reading.

MachoMan;624554 said:
Hi Shaun,

I'm also going for the 22APR TCC track day, although registration for that track day hasn't started yet. Yea now that I'm getting to know more people around, it's easier to get tips from them. All inputs are welcome, but like you said, sometimes the inputs from equally experienced people can be conflicting. And I do not have the knowledge or experience to decide what's right. Perhaps more seat time will let me find out what works for me.

I like reading and analysing technical stuff, but I'm still relatively new when it comes to motorsports. What kind of quantitative testing program can I do on my own? Also when it comes to progression through data analysis, it makes sense to compare/overlay a faster driver's data onto mine, and see where or how he's faster. But what if I only have my own data to work on? How to I make use of my own data to improve myself?

I like your quote "there are no driving gods - they all have to obey physics". How true. BTW, you got a PM. Thanks for reading.

For the price of a few beers and I can teach you how to spin into the gravel.

harold996tt;625618 said:
For the price of a few beers and I can teach you how to spin into the gravel.

After a few beers I'll know how to spin into the gravel for free! But the price of a few beers is nothing if there is great petrolhead company!

MachoMan;625629 said:
After a few beers I'll know how to spin into the gravel for free! But the price of a few beers is nothing if there is great petrolhead company!

hahaha look forward to catching up mate. btw, you will love what shaun can tell you about your driving just by looking at the data of the pbox.... its a great first step that you are taking to improve your driving.

will have ample time to chat as I doubt I will be tracking much... still in my non tracking mode...

Hi Harold, yeah look forward to catching up. Now I hope my work roster doesn't change so that I can make it for the track day. Yea I read and heard a lot of good things about how dataloggers can help improve driving, so I decided to give it a try. Better to improve the driver than to improve the car. The driver doesn't have a COE that will expire you see. Well if you are not gonna track much, maybe you can give me some pointers on the track! no obligations of course :)

MachoMan;626891 said:
Hi Harold, yeah look forward to catching up. Now I hope my work roster doesn't change so that I can make it for the track day. Yea I read and heard a lot of good things about how dataloggers can help improve driving, so I decided to give it a try. Better to improve the driver than to improve the car. The driver doesn't have a COE that will expire you see. Well if you are not gonna track much, maybe you can give me some pointers on the track! no obligations of course :)

mate, i am the last person anyone should be taking pointers from!!! hahahah.

Hey all I'll have to pull out :( got event to attend
Lemme know if anyone wants to take my slot...

ok. dcs2k has now taken over mock's slot, with payment. see above for edit.

Some things not to do while on track...
[ame=http://vimeo.com/20247765]Killed Myself When I Was Young on Vimeo[/ame]

[ame=http://vimeo.com/20247765]Killed Myself When I Was Young on Vimeo[/ame]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taixiugo88club