Changing ATF for E90??

rayyang81

Understand from PML that the E90 ATF is for lifetime and there is no need to replace them. However, outside workshop was telling me that it as to be replaced every 40,000km.

Anyone can share if replacement of ATF is really necessary? Checked around and replacement is rather costly, anyone care to share how much it cost you when you changed and where?

Re: Changing ATF for E90??

Change it at every 40k if you intend to keep your car for long, esp after your 3Y PML warranty expires.

E90 auto transmission usually start acting up ar 100,000 km w/o ATF servicing

Changing ATF will prolong the longevity of this very important, heavily stressed part of our car in this stop-and-go city traffic.

ATF fluid 27x6 liters, ATF oil pan and filter is ex ar 200-300, plus labour all in ar $500+ if I rem correctly. Can do at any sponsors workshop, R2D, BVO etc

Small price to pay considering AT overhaul at least 4-5k and brand new unit from PML 10k +

rayyang81;923470 said:
Understand from PML that the E90 ATF is for lifetime and there is no need to replace them. However, outside workshop was telling me that it as to be replaced every 40,000km.

Anyone can share if replacement of ATF is really necessary? Checked around and replacement is rather costly, anyone care to share how much it cost you when you changed and where?

Last edited by a moderator:

Indeed, but then changing new fluids can't be worse off than keeping the used one right.

Disclaimer: those ATF never change beyond 80-100k then change, there are some horror stories heard due to de-sludge, the AT got worse so do so entirely at your own risk.

Low mileage like 40-60k still ok from what workshop tells me.

wt_know;923483 said:
changing ATF is mother of all question in bmwsg ...

Ok so I guessed its something that has to be changed. Seriously wonder why PML tells me that there is no need to change at all.

rayyang81;924009 said:
Ok so I guessed its something that has to be changed. Seriously wonder why PML tells me that there is no need to change at all.

PML follows manufacturer's (BMW) recommendations which is no need to change, aka "lifetime" oil.

BMW already say lifetime is not lifetime but x thousand KMs. Posted in some TSB somewhere. Google it ....

lim_ck;924019 said:
PML follows manufacturer's (BMW) recommendations which is no need to change, aka "lifetime" oil.

lifetime means lifetime of ur car...so if ur car's gearbox up lorry after 3 years, it means its lifetime's up...

Red_Bean_Bun;924067 said:
BMW already say lifetime is not lifetime but x thousand KMs. Posted in some TSB somewhere. Google it ....

yup. that's why i put the quotation marks in between the word lifetime.

...my customer asked me whether our products are very good, I replied yes.
Again he asked, do I have confidence in our products, I replied yes.
Then he finally asked, can we provide lifetime warranty, I was speechless.
He gave in and asked for ten years, I was also speechless.
PML follows BMW guideline but we could play safe and change the ATF

Agree with the replies here. Some people go by the maxim "if it ain't broken, don't fix it." But I view it as preventive maintenance.

No harm changing the ATF fluid, even if its "lifetime". Just use BMW ATF so it can last another "lifetime" ;)

They save money by not changing during warranty period or at least problem is passed on to the 2nd/3rd owner when car hits > 100k km

This is what happens when you buy 2nd hand bimmers now in SG or MY, e90/60 all facing same gearbox same issue

rayyang81;924009 said:

Last edited by a moderator:

Better change if one wants their auto transmission to last until 10 years COE is up

ozipo;924131 said:
...my customer asked me whether our products are very good, I replied yes.
Again he asked, do I have confidence in our products, I replied yes.
Then he finally asked, can we provide lifetime warranty, I was speechless.
He gave in and asked for ten years, I was also speechless.
PML follows BMW guideline but we could play safe and change the ATF

I was driving the Mazda 3SP for 6 years. Never did a ATF change or brake pad change. for the ATF was told by the SA no need to change but they do check the viscocity of the ATF. Was advise not to change and may not do good to change if does not experience any problem with the gearbox. Every servicing i would also ask the SA or even the mechanic if I do meet them about the brake pads and was told everytime no need to change still thick. Strange advise but trusted them. ATF and Brake pads never change despite driving for more than 150,000km and recently sold.

Now driving a 6yrs old 323i less than 80,000km driven, recently changed the ATF, belts, shocks etc by the dealer's workshop before issuing warranty. hopefully would be a nice ride with few issues or none (dreaming as was told) till the end of term.

Wonder if its itchy backside to change a problem free car to an unknown....hahaha

Just a side track, would like to ask about the opening of the rear boot. Does the rear boot door open fully or just unlocked either using the boot release button or the remote boot release? I felt that the boot is kind of heavy to lift, wonder if the hydraulics needs to be changed? any advise?

I think it can be opened in all three methods.
Good to know your hydraulics working well.. :)

Similarly, I wanted to change my ATF but was told by workshop no need le...so in the end only did my brake fluid...not sure if I shld change ATF anyways..

kevinbmw;933844 said:
Similarly, I wanted to change my ATF but was told by workshop no need le...so in the end only did my brake fluid...not sure if I shld change ATF anyways..

do over-haul better???

cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeers

kevinbmw;933844 said:

Prevention better than cure , but buying the oil + filter for atf like about $300 , then go ms workshop rm$120 , :(

vinlis77;933840 said:
Just a side track, would like to ask about the opening of the rear boot. Does the rear boot door open fully or just unlocked either using the boot release button or the remote boot release? I felt that the boot is kind of heavy to lift, wonder if the hydraulics needs to be changed? any advise?

does not open fully like some SUV

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaibk8codes

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back