Collecting ride

Re: Collecting ride

unknown;853657 said:
The grilles i sprayed and the rest is niam stickers and you know where lah. Keywork is ubi and find j

spray where bro?
I give up on PML..
they can only refund me in vouchers.. :angry:

Ivan Chan;853754 said:
U means MA can upgrade our 116 hp and still cover with factory warranty? Am interested to know more if this is what going to happen. Than no need to go 3rd parties piggy back n worry abt warranty.

Yup...This is according to MA ...on warranty and don't need piggy back as they will flash the ECU directly...:yummie:

BimmerHead;853847 said:
Yup...This is according to MA ...on warranty and don't need piggy back as they will flash the ECU directly...:yummie:

This really is good news.

I guess if there is a warranty issue then tuning after the warranty period is still viable:)

my 116 is still too new.Haven't really pushed it yet:)

BimmerHead;853752 said:
I spoke to MA ,,,they say...mabe sept/Oct they will have stage 2 package out for 116i ...but cannot confirm...and as long as its a BMW part number...warranty is covered....:yummie:

What abt stage 1? Thot usu stage 2 have to change intake n some other stuff to cope wuth extra torque n hp? Any price estimate fr stage 2?

ginmin;853922 said:
What abt stage 1? Thot usu stage 2 have to change intake n some other stuff to cope wuth extra torque n hp? Any price estimate fr stage 2?

I ask MA also,,they say seems the release is Stage 2...you right..its a kit ...so bigger inter-cooler , air-intake all replace..no Catback though..:juggle:

BimmerHead;853925 said:
I ask MA also,,they say seems the release is Stage 2...you right..its a kit ...so bigger inter-cooler , air-intake all replace..no Catback though..:juggle:

so what's the difference between such direct tuning and adding some chip like Kelleners or SwissChiptech?

Seems like such tuning is not easily reversed while using an eternal chip mod can just swap out?

Anyway, what's the cheapest way to squeeze out more juice from the engine? heh.

feynman82;853927 said:
so what's the difference between such direct tuning and adding some chip like Kelleners or SwissChiptech?

Seems like such tuning is not easily reversed while using an eternal chip mod can just swap out?

Piggy Back eg Kellener , Swiss tech, Koch...has a external box , taps into the ECU and Boost sensors..basically having a multiplying effect over your current ECU readings. So it will be safe with reputable vendors...but you have to access yourself...Piggy Back can remove anytime...easily ...Direct tuning is writing codes into ECU directly, it can also be removed, but programming to be done..a bit like backup and restore in PCs..more troublesome..and you can't do it yourself...

So most Bro in the forum worried about Warranty...safest now is to go piggy back...until BMW comes up with a Stage 2 ECU map... but if dont care about warranty then wait for some tuners to come up with the Codes but risk warranty to be gone...

Rolls Royce is Kellerner ...they only do BMW...cost 2-3 times more than the rest...:juggle:

feynman82;853927 said:

There is a limitation a piggy can do regardless of which brand you go for as they only tweak certain parameters. Some chiptuning add in throttle response module to make the butt feels better other than that the figure they churn out are more or less the same. Of course having said that, some piggy can be really different if they are custom tuned to fit our driving style and conditions. Piggy can easily be removed before sending to AD if you are worried about detection.

ECU flash on the other hand basically enable a tuner to change many parameters and some may even capable of breaking the "lock", making a 116i to be a 118i:yikess: As this a ECU flash, somewhat like a firmware upgrade to your router, it writes directly into the physical ECU unit. Even flashing back to stock map will render the warranty to be void because it's not what map you are on, but more on you have tempered with the unit "illegally" that may potentially cause failure to other components in the car.

Whichever route you choose, there are certain risks involved therefore end of the day it's really your choice. If warranty is not a concern, i'm sure many will go for ECU flash.

My inexperience 1 cent opinion....:oops:

BimmerHead;853925 said:

If issue by MA den no worri abt warranty. Only thing is cost. Is it going to be a 5 to 8k upgrade?

ginmin;853959 said:
If issue by MA den no worri abt warranty. Only thing is cost. Is it going to be a 5 to 8k upgrade?

i reckon its going to be more...a stage 2 tuning sounds like grabbing parts from the M135 le...

BimmerHead;853946 said:
Piggy Back eg Kellener , Swiss tech, Koch...has a external box , taps into the ECU and Boost sensors..basically having a multiplying effect over your current ECU readings. So it will be safe with reputable vendors...but you have to access yourself...Piggy Back can remove anytime...easily ...Direct tuning is writing codes into ECU directly, it can also be removed, but programming to be done..a bit like backup and restore in PCs..more troublesome..and you can't do it yourself...

So most Bro in the forum worried about Warranty...safest now is to go piggy back...until BMW comes up with a Stage 2 ECU map... but if dont care about warranty then wait for some tuners to come up with the Codes but risk warranty to be gone...

Rolls Royce is Kellerner ...they only do BMW...cost 2-3 times more than the rest...:juggle:

Ah yes as pointed out by Bro Forestgum...with Direct ECU mappings ...tunners can push the hp and torque higher because they can see the actual limits ... thus better performance also than piggy back

ginmin;853959 said:

MA dont want to comit...but 5-8K should be close...Stage 2 ECU from BMW 3K, Intercooler 2.5K-3K...Air Intake another 1-2K

superlimau;854028 said:
it's the output that determine whether the price is worth it....

I'm expecting over 200hp..else not worth it..plus hassle:juggle:

to get 118i output, we need to pay 20k from PML.
so need to judge whether its worth it... :8k is like ultrasho:

Forrestgum;853948 said:
There is a limitation a piggy can do regardless of which brand you go for as they only tweak certain parameters. Some chiptuning add in throttle response module to make the butt feels better other than that the figure they churn out are more or less the same. Of course having said that, some piggy can be really different if they are custom tuned to fit our driving style and conditions. Piggy can easily be removed before sending to AD if you are worried about detection.

ECU flash on the other hand basically enable a tuner to change many parameters and some may even capable of breaking the "lock", making a 116i to be a 118i:yikess: As this a ECU flash, somewhat like a firmware upgrade to your router, it writes directly into the physical ECU unit. Even flashing back to stock map will render the warranty to be void because it's not what map you are on, but more on you have tempered with the unit "illegally" that may potentially cause failure to other components in the car.

Whichever route you choose, there are certain risks involved therefore end of the day it's really your choice. If warranty is not a concern, i'm sure many will go for ECU flash.

My inexperience 1 cent opinion....:oops:

Thought there's also warranty concerns over piggyback? At least for VCS, heard that they can still detect prior installation of piggyback and potentially kenna voiding of warranty.

tty;854054 said:
Thought there's also warranty concerns over piggyback? At least for VCS, heard that they can still detect prior installation of piggyback and potentially kenna voiding of warranty.

Afaik, any modifications to the ignition or fueling can be traced.

Even if it's a piggy back, the long term fuel trim levels or knock sensor count logs will betray you. That is if they wanna check of course.

I'm worried about warranty issues so I'll wait the 3 years:)

unless there is an official bmw tune:).

Another option is buy car from pi.
They allow u to reflash ur ECU or install PB with their workshop and yet maintain the warranty.

i believe some Site sponsors here are giving some warranty to PI cars, do chip up with them and yet didnt void warranty.
win-win.

Last edited by a moderator:

tty;854054 said:

Yes, they can check if they want to..but unlikely...But if you blew up your ECU because of the Piggy back (for eg.) then you go back to pml to claim warranty...they sure check until you drop...:juggle:

BimmerHead;853752 said:
I spoke to MA ,,,they say...mabe sept/Oct they will have stage 2 package out for 116i ...but cannot confirm...and as long as its a BMW part number...warranty is covered....:yummie:

Though this tune that we are discussing is by Munich Auto and i am assuming being the official BMW authorised dealer that can honour warranty for all BMW models, warranty not an issue? Anyway i think cost wll be prohibitive!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhaviewdepcom
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back