E90 - Central Locking Failed - Locked from inside.....

zero

Happened yesterday during lunch time, when I got out from the car and press the “locked” button on the remote ONLY the driver’s door was locked (I always have this habit to double-check to make sure all the four doors are locked).

Press unlock and lock again same thing happen – only driver’s door is working.

Then I got into the car, locked all the three passenger doors manually and pressed the Central Locking switch at the dashboard – nothing happen.

I pressed the “lock” button on the remote (I am now inside the car) – DRIVER’S DOOR LOCKED INCLUDING ALL THE FOUR DOORS AND I CANNOT UNLOCK THE DOORS USING THE REMOTE KEY OR THE SWITCH – IT''S DEAD LOCKED!!!

Pulling the door lever from inside NOTHING HAPPEN – it’s like child’s door lock on all doors. Power windows are also not working. Fortunately I still have the key with me inside the car and I managed to start the engine, wind down the window and used the key to manually open the driver’s door. All the passenger doors remained “dead-locked”.

Drove straight to PML Alexandra (about 12.30pm) but it’s fully booked. This is due to long holidays. Fortunately the receptionist managed to help me arrange for my car to be sent in this morning to Kg Arang. My wife and my son have to crawl IN and OUT from the driver’s door this morning.

This is quite a scary experience – if in an accident I really cannot imagine if the driver’s door is blocked or damaged and all the passenger doors are malfunction.

Anyone experience this before? My car is only 8 months old.

* Saw this beautiful "8633" greets me @ the entrance when I drove into PML Kampong Arang at 6.45 AM this morning. It’s as good looking as a showroom car if not better. :thumbsup:

Re: E90 - Central Locking Failed - Locked from inside.....

Wah thats pretty scary bro.....I met up with fellow bro Yapster last night and he was telling me he have a prob with his driver side door also, it cannot be unlocked.......then yours all 4 door cannot be unlocked....thats scary man. Imagine if you are outside, then all 4 doors deadlocked then how man.......cannot imagine.......after your car is fixed, you able to post what was the prob? Share share so next time if same thing happens to me, I will roughly know whats wrong also...

I had this same problem, send back to PML, my car 10 months old. Another of my friend E-90 also had the same problem - 3 times! Send back to agent and they change the locking mechansim.

delrosa81;312394 said:
Imagine if you are outside, then all 4 doors deadlocked then how man.......cannot imagine..

This is better than when you're inside the car. At least you can still use the key to manually open the driver's door from outside.

But if you're inside the car and do not have the key or remote to turn on the ignition or wind down the windows......the only way OUT is to break the window glass to get out or open the car door from outside.

JasonKuan;312397 said:
I had this same problem, send back to PML, my car 10 months old. Another of my friend E-90 also had the same problem - 3 times! Send back to agent and they change the locking mechansim.

Wah seh man....scary leh like that mine is like a time bomb waiting to happen man..... siao liao hahahaha gotta wait for it to happen to send in to do liaoz.....prepare ok liao. Say my Prayers.....Amen....

zero;312419 said:
This is better than when you're inside the car. At least you can still use the key to manually open the driver's door from outside.

But if you're inside the car and do not have the key or remote to turn on the ignition or wind down the windows......the only way OUT is to break the window glass to get out or open the car door from outside.

True also hor, but then if deadlocked from outside then how do PML techs open up the car I wonder? They break the glass too??? kekekeke that would be fun to see, next time I encounter this prob, I will deadlock it from the outside and see how they break the glass kekekekeke :lol2:

It's apparently a common problem. My case happened around 1.5 yrs old and on a weekend no less.

First thing to do is (if you can't drive down to PML or they are closed):
1) Call BMW Emergency Service
They will send someone down to check it out. There's usually a spare fuse in the glove compartment which they will use to replace the faulty fuse that controls the central locking. They will also determine whether it's the driver's side or the passenger side that's failed.

2) Try manually locking/unlocking using the detachable key
This will keep the doors locked at least so your car is safe for now.

3) Make service appt (or just drive down when they are open)
They will replace the fuse and usually provide a spare fuse to be placed in the glove compartment, and replace the faulty components if it's not just the fuse.

Puny;312482 said:
It's apparently a common problem. My case happened around 1.5 yrs old and on a weekend no less.

First thing to do is (if you can't drive down to PML or they are closed):
1) Call BMW Emergency Service
They will send someone down to check it out. There's usually a spare fuse in the glove compartment which they will use to replace the faulty fuse that controls the central locking. They will also determine whether it's the driver's side or the passenger side that's failed.

2) Try manually locking/unlocking using the detachable key
This will keep the doors locked at least so your car is safe for now.

They will replace the fuse and usually provide a spare fuse to be placed in the glove compartment, and replace the faulty components if it's not just the fuse.

Oic hehe okie will know what to do next time if such things happen ya..... :)

Goode news!!!!! Received sms 10 minutes ago - sayng my car is ready for collection.

I just called the Mahmod (SA) and he said one of the actuator has failed but to be safe they replaced both the front door actuators.

What can i say......another great service from PML - always get my car back within a day :thumbsup:

Puny;312482 said:

hmmm.....i didn't know there's a fuse box in the glove compartment....thanks!

but it's also quite difficult to access when the passenger door is dead-locked.

my e90 central locking system just failed on me! my passengers had to crawl in and out of the car! it was terrible.

I had my problem too and is only less than 2 years - had a taxi rear-ended me at AMK5 and then got into PML for the repairs. After 5 days and upon collection at PML, both front doors went dead.

No way to lock or unlock the door from the outside. The wierd thing is that it can be locked but not unlocked. The car can only be unlocked from the central dashboard.

Had to leave the car again and they change both actuators. Previously, the rear left door died on me.

Spiderman

it is common problem. it happened twice to me.

yeap, what Puny says is right, just call the emergency no and they will check if it is just the blown fuse or the locking module is faulty.

the last time, they have courtesy car for me. u shld request for one too cos ur car is so new.

Two of friends also have this problem... Guess its pretty common... so far so good for my ride.. touch wood...

Hi, I had this problem just last week. What happened was when I went to collect my car after my servicing at Kg Arang, I cannot unlock the car using the remote. They told me that it could be due to the actuator on the driver door and told me to leave the car for them to check. In the evening when I went to collect the car, they told me that it is ok now as they have changed the actuator. When I drove to petrol kiosk to pump petrol, I locked the car to made payment at the counter. When i came back, I could not unlock the car. Siao liao. And I'm supposed to pick up my wife. Thank GOD that the spare key in the remote could unlock the car but is only the driver door. the erst of the 3 doors remain lock, unable to unlock. Eventually, my wife had to climb thru the driver seat to get over to the passenger side. Call up the agent to complain. i went back to him the next day and he got all the 4 door actuator changed. So far no problem already.

scary, why is it the electronics and parts in the bmw can fail so easily.....it's like they dont test it for it's sturdiness....is it our weather or is the electronics of poor quality ? PML should look into it and rectify it....imagine if it happened to u when u were in malaysia !

you're not alone, in march i sent in my car for what they said was an actuator problem... just this afternoon the central locking failed again... so the car is back at PML... i'm wondering 4 doors = 4 actuators.... so its 2 more trips to PML ? :(

happens to me too!
locked the car to go dinner at simon rd, when i came back i cant unlock at all.
only the lights came on from the inside. had to use the manual key to open driver side,
Gf also had to climb over to passenger side. Called emergency service and they came to change the blown fuse . 14months old 320i

My old E46 had this problem before (2 or 3 times), the following was what i did to temp solve the problem and bypass the "unglam" climbing, not sure if it is applicable to E90 though.

1. Manually open the driver side door
2. Start the engine, and waiting for a short while, say 15 seconds
3. Press and HOLD the central lock/unlock button. You can hear the machanism trying hard to unlock the doors, and after 1-2 seconds, it finally managed to unlock the doors.

Hope this helps

Hi all,

My E90 is 20 mths old.
The same problem happened to me last night. Called the emergency hotline and they came to replace the fuse. Is ok now but from all these threads, I don't have much confidence that the problem won't come back again. TOUCH WOOD !!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
n6663

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back