E90 engine oil leak experience

E90 engine oil leak experience

Acoustix;1067120 said:
Cannot exercise lemon law?

Mine had a whole list of problems in the initial few weeks/months. Wear and tear items were a hard fight that nearly ended in litigation. In the end I settled with the self-proclaimed "BMW-expert" dealer workshop covering parts failure like the vanos (under lemon law) and I bore all the wear and tear myself.

Frankly if I had to do it all over again, I would simply knock off the cost of warranty from the final offer and go to a site sponsor workshop.

Changing parts at the dealer is risky as they may not be familiar with BMWs. That same fcktard put 10 liters of engine oil in my engine over a few visits thinking my engine oil was low (from the indicator) while "troubleshooting".

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: E90 engine oil leak experience

I am also wondering about the lemon law part and the warranty.

I already changed at my own cost (within this two months) new tyres (all 4). Fix the cup holder which was broken etc. I am willing to change the parts for wear and tear that is not covered mah. But this engine oil thing is part of engine. Not willing to let go cos they must have knew about it. One day after I got the car, engine low light came on! And they told me car serviced before giving me! So they said they filled it up. Then now two months later again. I asked a separate mechanic to see, he shine torch into engine showed me the place that is leaking. Sian. I know I am quite bimbo with the mechanics of a car but cannot like that lah. This is really dishonest.

The dealer's workshop is at sin Ming and full of sports car. When I was last there they had a Ferrari doing engine overhaul, a Lamborghini and a few other continental cars! So I am assuming they are very knowledgeable about continental cars.

Maybe .... but the site sponsors deal mainly with BMWs ......

2005bmw320;1067275 said:
The dealer's workshop is at sin Ming and full of sports car. When I was last there they had a Ferrari doing engine overhaul, a Lamborghini and a few other continental cars! So I am assuming they are very knowledgeable about continental cars.

2005bmw320;1067273 said:
I am also wondering about the lemon law part and the warranty.

I already changed at my own cost (within this two months) new tyres (all 4). Fix the cup holder which was broken etc. I am willing to change the parts for wear and tear that is not covered mah. But this engine oil thing is part of engine. Not willing to let go cos they must have knew about it. One day after I got the car, engine low light came on! And they told me car serviced before giving me! So they said they filled it up. Then now two months later again. I asked a separate mechanic to see, he shine torch into engine showed me the place that is leaking. Sian. I know I am quite bimbo with the mechanics of a car but cannot like that lah. This is really dishonest.

Engine oil loss issue is considered wear and tear item and it is common for almost all E90 > 5 years old.

Afraid I have to burst your bubble here but only way you can get a no problem used car not just bmw is buy brand new, or fix it yourself.

Go find alvin 9686 6219. Said desmond e90 reco. I did my crankshaft gasket chg for $520 after used for 130kkm

Sorros;960341 said:
Hi guys,

jus an update.

i have email a couple of workshops to give me an approximate quote.

One of them was saying it was around the range of 1.5k-2k based on what pml have highlighted. It is a sponsored workshop here.

As for another workshop, i was quoted around 3.2k as they say they will likely to replace the hose also. here is the reply by the workshop.

usually when these gasket leaks, the oil hoses we would recommend to change too.this is due to the fact that the life span of all these rubber gaskets and hoses are almost identical.when one starts to leak, the rest would be leaking in no time too.since we are replacing the oil pan gasket, we would replace the engine mounting too as the engine must be hoist up in order to replace the oil pan gasket.usually we would charge one labour rather than you coming back the next time round to replace other parts and charge you another labour (engine mounting and oil hoses)ultimately the choice to fix which parts is yours.the more troublesome parts to replace for your car is the crankshaft gasket, i have to bring down your gearbox in order to replace the gasket.a rough estimation of the parts that i recommended and including those from PML is about $3200 before gst

PML charge 3k plus but without changing the hose and etc that this workshop is asking me to change.

It seems there are great disparity in the quotes and things that needs to be done.

i will bring my car down this weekend to get a close up inspection so as to get an accurate quote by the local workshops. will keep u guys posted then.

thks.

hi pal,

where is his workshop? I pay around 1.4k to resolve all my engine leaks issues in feb 2013 after my last servicing with pml. We did it with sung beng near circuit road.

We just brought our car to pml for regular servicing and they seem to detect engine leak issues again. wtf this is a bit too soon right.

Now I am not sure if the previous workshop have done a good job or just my luck.

Thinking of trying euroauto this time round. hope they can get it sorted out at a reasonable rate.

chinweyngee;1069082 said:
Go find alvin 9686 6219. Said desmond e90 reco. I did my crankshaft gasket chg for $520 after used for 130kkm

Last edited by a moderator:

yup I second u bro. I went to check on my oil leak issues the last time round after pml have diagnose what needs to be changed. I was charged 80 dollars too which I am not happy.

Thou they say will offset from the final charges if I do up my engine oil leak issues with them, I just feel not right and decided to just throw the 80 dollars down the drain and go with other workshop.

Before hand, before I went down, I did correspond with them and ask about charges and they did not mentioned anything which I feel is not very professional.

jus my own views thou from a business aspect, they might have a point as they are preventing people who are comparing quotes.

topprize123;1047297 said:
hi Guys, just share my experience with the Bvo, my E60 got some steering issue and faulty signal shown as Drive Control issue. Went to the WS and they did for me wheel alignment n reset steering sensor plus applied BodyFlex Gel (not sure the purpose). On top of this they charge me for $80 for pre-inspection which I did not call for it. Called the Boss up and he gave me a very unsatisfactory answer and said that since it was my first time there, they need to do it. This is the first time I heard of such fee and it will be my last time there for service.
I recommend EuroAuto @ AMK Autopoint. the boss is down to earth and straight to the point, no BS and beat around the bush.

Sorros;1071382 said:
yup I second u bro. I went to check on my oil leak issues the last time round after pml have diagnose what needs to be changed. I was charged 80 dollars too which I am not happy.

Thou they say will offset from the final charges if I do up my engine oil leak issues with them, I just feel not right and decided to just throw the 80 dollars down the drain and go with other workshop.

Before hand, before I went down, I did correspond with them and ask about charges and they did not mentioned anything which I feel is not very professional.

jus my own views thou from a business aspect, they might have a point as they are preventing people who are comparing quotes.

Bro, relax.... by checking your ride, alrdi involved labour charges... for $80 to pre-inspect... dont tink its too much...
mac delivery cost $3 a trip wif soggy fries...

Running a ws is all about cost... if you tink that they "carrot" u for $80, dont go back.... go to someplace which they will inspect for u "FOC"

After some experience, IMHO, I wanted a ws shop that knows my ride and not some ws who tinks that they know...

Imagine u send ur car in and the fellow got to take out bumper and stuff to remove ur head light... piangz... i saw it before...

if by paying they can solved your worries,pay lor... if they cant, look eleseware...

gasket about $550+
vacum pump about another $500+
plus labour $1.3k should solve the oil leak. if possible i suggest change all the top gasket "nut" too. gasket is new but if the nut is in bad shape, it is difficult to seal it 100% swee swee.

I went to Francis for engine leaking issue. He quoted the following:

1) Valve Seal - 16 pc
2) Valve Cover Gasket - 1 pc
3) Flywheel Oil Seal - 1 pc
4) Water Pump - 1 pc
5) By-pass Hose 17127568753
6) Vacum Pump - 1 pc
7) Water Plug - 1 pc
8) Bottom Hose - 1 pc
9) Brake Fluid - 1 litre

Went to Eng Soon to purchase above items which cost me S$693.

Labour Cost from Francis was approx. RM1500-1600. Is it reasonable?

Guys, those whom had their engine leak issue solved with Francis, does it still come back? Thanks.

So far so good for me. Since Oct 13. I just did my servicing. Everything is A OK

Hi Khzlir,

You will be in good hands with your car serviced by Francis and his team. Anything that's bmw they can do, if you have been to their WS. My valve seals and other oil leak stuff changed 1- 2 years ago, is still intact.

Whether his labour charge RM1.5-1.6k, you just go and ask around local WS you will know. I doubt anyone will quote you SGD 600 labour to fix all the above.

That said, it's hard for us to reply you as some of us did this fixing here and there, in bits and pieces. Typically, if you fix them all at one go, it should be cheaper.

Khzlir;1071806 said:
Guys, those whom had their engine leak issue solved with Francis, does it still come back? Thanks.

Hi Khzilr,

I think he is fixing more than engine oil leak. If he is changing water pump, vacuum pump, brake fluid etc, it seems like he is also addressing some brake problem. Probably a leak in your brake system.

Yes, the labour is definitely more reasonable as compared to local WS.

And while your car is at their WS, you may want to ask them to have it washed at the car wash next door after they've completed the job. I regretted not asking them and have to drive to a car wash elsewhere.

It is definitely cheaper then workshops in sg. And just for your information, workshops in sg don't just change valves seals, they will recommend a top overhaul. So in short you are saving a lot of money.

I have also did my valve seal replacement with francis, now travel for about 4500km.so far so good.engine level still at full.no doubt francis charges is much cheaper and the service is really good if u do not mind the journey up north.for servicing and normal replacement for parts, i went to Proswift at kaki bukit.i find their service is good and charges much more reasonable labour charges if compared to local ws.i myself have been to most of the site sponsored ws and euroauto , BM workshop , extreme auto , 2277 and M&Q autoworks .i compared and try out their services and labour cost.as our car is already old and repair cost is really high.really a headache, tats y i buy my parts and ws charges me labour charge which is reasonable to me.....juz my 2 cents.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
18winink

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back