F30 Build Quality

Re: F30 Build Quality

wkwlb;942543 said:
Last time I checked, it will come with same 2.0L engine with lower tune. Therefore road tax wise it's the same.

However, BMW said the new 1.5L 3pot will apply to all series below 5 series, I guess the 316i will use that plant in next model year.

You are lucky...

316 will come with turbo charged 1.6L engine codename N13, not 2L N20

New 3 cyl 1.5L engine codename B38 will be used for FWD BMW, not sure if it will goes into F30.

The first few months supply of F30 are from Germany, some lucky, some not (like rusty seat etc)

wkwlb;942544 said:
Just revealed 2014 Lexus IS F-Sport Compared to BMW F30 3 Series M Sport - BMW 3-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST

The 2014 Lexus IS F sport photos are out, with comparison against 3 series M sport.

The rear end looks fine, but the front end, especially the headlight made me face palm....

i do hope they solve the cramped rear. tats the biggest breaker for me as i have long legs n during the test drive of the current IS, my rear passenger ended up kicking at my seat everytime she moved.
this design i can take but of cos, fitting a turbo to a smaller engine would b good too :cool:

BMW going to 3-pot !!! What happened to the famous inline 6?

wkwlb;942070 said:
I second that, bloody noises, but the wind noise is still lower than my 135 though... engine wise, only time will tell, lets just hope the N54 HPFP saga won't repeat again. The N55 fared pretty well in term of power and reliability, N20/26 so far no problem yet. I think BMW has done well in improving their turbo engine reliability.

Like PML SA told me, wan good insulation, buy 7 series, dun even consider 5. I was like WTF???!!!

Anyway the N55 is quite ok now, frankly I haven heard of a hpfp issue yet or maybe I suaku whahahahaha

wkwlb said:
... engine wise, only time will tell, lets just hope the N54 HPFP saga won't repeat again. The N55 fared pretty well in term of power and reliability, N20/26 so far no problem yet. I think BMW has done well in improving their turbo engine reliability.

The HPFP issues still there for N55.

i have prob with rusty seat and tt rubber seal crack on one side.sigh. window noise not tt bad to me. TS may i know if ur probs have been solved?

speedyj;944522 said:
i have prob with rusty seat and tt rubber seal crack on one side.sigh. window noise not tt bad to me. TS may i know if ur probs have been solved?

My appt is 22nd Jan, which is 1 week away...
However, I noticed some cracks on drivers door link mechanism, probably not serious though, only cracks on the plastic.
View attachment 46323

Shouldn't this part be metal, as it's subject to heavy wear and tear?

Plastic/rubber parts on bimmer do save weight, but one of the key areas where it's high wear and tear in our climate.

wkwlb;944598 said:
My appt is 22nd Jan, which is 1 week away...
However, I noticed some cracks on drivers door link mechanism, probably not serious though, only cracks on the plastic.

Can you specify you want only German made or it's based on luck which batch you get?

scubawun;942511 said:
Not all 3 series are made in south africa.

many people here with 3 series have chassis numbers pointing to Germany...

my F30 came from the Munich plant.

canuck78;944601 said:
Shouldn't this part be metal, as it's subject to heavy wear and tear?

Plastic/rubber parts on bimmer do save weight, but one of the key areas where it's high wear and tear in our climate.

From what I see, this part is metal wrapped by plastic, now the plastic has cracked... You can see the metal bits in the hole there.

Think you slam the door too hard and crack the part, bro! Lol

Either that or the half plastic half metal linkage not so durable.

wkwlb;944604 said:
From what I see, this part is metal wrapped by plastic, now the plastic has cracked... You can see the metal bits in the hole there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Think you slam the door too hard and crack the joint, bro! Lol

Either that or the half plastic half metal joint not so durable.

wkwlb;944604 said:

canuck78;944833 said:
Think you slam the door too hard and crack the joint, bro! Lol

Either that or the half plastic half metal joint not so durable.

I think the door of F30 is lighter and sound more hollow than E90.
Guess that's part of weight saving to make the WB longer??

U be surprised when u see undercarriage engine of the N20. It's plastic oil sump. Hopefully there is a layer of metal inside.

Can't imagine ......

Samuel Tan See Teng;951096 said:
U be surprised when u see undercarriage engine of the N20. It's plastic oil sump. Hopefully there is a layer of metal inside.

Samuel Tan See Teng;951096 said:

Red_Bean_Bun;951129 said:
Can't imagine ......
The same uproar was seen when E39 (i think) change fuel tank to plastic. I don't think plastic oil sump is reinforced with any metal. Otherwise, LPPL. Time to fabricate a titanium 1.

Ti expensive ...... Should use steel ..... Now one full circle ...

davidtch;951133 said:
The same uproar was seen when E39 (i think) change fuel tank to plastic. I don't think plastic oil sump is reinforced with any metal. Otherwise, LPPL. Time to fabricate a titanium 1.

i don't know where my old post went, I tried searching for it but can't find.

when f30 first came out, i rush down to PML to see it and gave a review about the build quality. and just next to the f30 was an f10. the moment i stepped inside the f10... what a world of difference! i knew what i wanted right away decided to go for the f10 instead despite people saying it is damn uncle for my age.

okay I found my old post, here:
http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/bmw-3-...3-series-launched-singapore-8.html#post770966

I just went to PML during lunch to take a look at the F30. I have the 2011 model E90 320i with iDrive and sunroof so I am comparing on pretty similar grounds.

Other than the new N20 engine which is really powerful, I think the F30 is nothing much really... the price is a little high IMHO.

Exterior design - yes, improved. But E90 looks good to me... or at least, after looking at my depreciation, I think mine lagi chio...

Interior design - not a fan of it. I find the leather not tightly fitted and the grains even coarser than the leather in my E90. The rear door panel really feels plastic - just go try knocking on it; it has a hollow sound. The center console doesn't even have a sliding armrest and the plastic latch looks flimsy.

More spacious at the back? I don't think it's really a big difference. Slightly more space - it seems negligible. If you need space, you wouldn't be looking at the 3er.

So my own opinion - for that kind of price, I'd rather buy F10!

What I like:
- N20 engine is really powerful
- iDrive + Nav now comes standard
- Dashboard is more informative and has temperature gauge
- Steering wheel now extends further (I have long legs)
- Front seats are a little wider making it more comfortable

What I don't like:
- The 4 pot is noisier and not smooth like butter - that's true!
- Interior fit and finish is noticeably poorer than outgoing E90 - leather is "loose" and door panels are plasticky. I'd love to see how this stands the test of time parking under the singapore sun.
- Steering wheel too bulky and not as elegant as E90 sports steering (again, my personal opinion) (edit: i do like the F30 sports steering though!)
- Tyres are now bigger and hence more expensive
- iDrive screen now exposed to direct sunlight makes it harder to see

My 2 cents.

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back