Gearbox Solenoid Change - Jerking Problem Solved - E90

Re: Gearbox Solenoid Change - Jerking Problem Solved - E90

got a transmission fault message today and experienced car suddenly jerk when coming to a stop. PML says may have to change the gear box and would cost $16000!!!

if changing the solenoid will solve the problem i would gladly do it! btw, mine's a 4 year old F10 523 with 70000km.

Otar;1123152 said:
got a transmission fault message today and experienced car suddenly jerk when coming to a stop. PML says may have to change the gear box and would cost $16000!!!

if changing the solenoid will solve the problem i would gladly do it! btw, mine's a 4 year old F10 523 with 70000km.
Brother go outside do. As they may not be keen to service ur car. They want simple job like oil change...so charge u high is indirectly asking u to get lost.
Just for a door panel....they wanna charge me 500+ they work like changineer not engineer.
Pm me I tell u where to go. Speak to workshop see what they say. Forget what pml told u. Keep quite abt price quoted. Anyway many of the workshop bosses r here. Many are nice guys.

My car has started the jerking problem when coming to a stop... had my car plugged in and no major system errors.

any bros here can advice where i can get and the cost of the solenoids?

Hi.. i juz did my solenoids changed like 8mths ago. But now, my car suddenly start jerk again when braking to stop but the jerk effect is unlike the prev jerk indicatin solenoids need to change.

Dear all,

This post is especially for those who have gear box jerking problem and are at a lost at what to do.

For those whom are deciding to buy a pre-owned BMW and yet you have hear of scary tales of the expensive gear box repair, this post is to assure you that having to maintain a BMW is not so bad and I do recommend you to go ahead with the purchase of a BMW and join our big family.

Problem:
My BMW jerked forward when coming to a complete stop.
It’s not a very bad jerk but I do not enjoy it.
This is also known as common problem for E90 and I would deem this under fair wear and tear of the gear box solenoid.

Solution:
Simply replace the solenoid and with a reprogramming of the gear box.
My gear box works perfectly fine immediately after replacing the solenoids.

Function of solenoids:
Simply for the gear change from 1 to 6 and the 7th solenoid is for reverse.

Value for money recommendation:
Our BMW has a 40,000 KM gear oil change interval together with the oil pan which is actually the in-build gear oil filter. So I recommend to do the solenoid replacement together with the gear oil change as part of the servicing.

Items needed:
Please see pics below.
IMG_3460.jpg

Oil pan with build in oil filter

IMG_3461.jpg

Gear oil * 7 bottles

IMG_3462.jpg

IMG_4222_zpsb539c58f.jpg

Replacement solenoid to solve the jerking problem.

Conclusion:
Our gear box is still great and should last us for a long time. The solenoid in the gear box might not last as long but this does not mean our gear box is damaged unless proven otherwise that the gear box is really damaged and needs to overhaul. I hope this sharing helps to assure a lot of our bros and sis here for our BMW.

What should you do if you want to ask me for the workshop and contacts?
You should PM me and make my life easier to just reply u in the PM.
The forum rules do not allow anyone to post workshop name or price.

Can pm me the workshop that you got this changed. Thanks.

"What should you do if you want to ask me for the workshop and contacts?
You should PM me and make my life easier to just reply u in the PM."

- Hope you guys do really read what Aaron typed. Cheers.

"What should you do if you want to ask me for the workshop and contacts?
You should PM me and make my life easier to just reply u in the PM."

- Hope you guys do really read what Aaron typed. Cheers.

Yes brother Aaron had posted many good articles on maintenance and problem solving. 5 thumbs up.

Have this problem 4E86 solenoid valve3 diagnosed at my own Mechanic after car shaking when going up slope. He suggest to change all solenoids and me battling valve body ($2.9) But he said since my warranty is covered by a workshop up north, he ask me to ask them to change. Btw mine is a e60 bought secondhand.
Brought the car up north, they check and said no fault at first. Further probe, they said they checked and said its a sensor issue which they cleaned and cleared the fault code. However same issue happen again, I brought back to my Mechanic, and he said fault still there. It seems that the workshop up north bullshit to me. Any advise what I should do? Is changing solenoids sufficient enough or I have to add in the mechantronic body? Otherwise is there a workshop that can do that well you peeps can recommend me?

Just shared this under Transmission Overhaul:

If you think we would not stop at ZF Transmissions for BMW then you are right. I have been looking at what we could do with the GM gearboxes found predominantly on the BMW E90 320i. Hearsay is that once these gearbox starts to jerk - it's time to change the mechatronics. Actually there one thing to do before jumping into the mechatronics bonfire - Replace the seals and sensors for the GM transmission along with an ATF filter change. #bmwgmgearbox #bmw320igearbox #bmwgmtransmission

Just shared this under Transmission Overhaul:

If you think we would not stop at ZF Transmissions for BMW then you are right. I have been looking at what we could do with the GM gearboxes found predominantly on the BMW E90 320i. Hearsay is that once these gearbox starts to jerk - it's time to change the mechatronics. Actually there one thing to do before jumping into the mechatronics bonfire - Replace the seals and sensors for the GM transmission along with an ATF filter change. #bmwgmgearbox #bmw320igearbox #bmwgmtransmission

Does it work? Ive been told gm gearbox cannot change the solenoid. Not sure how true is it.

GM gearbox is not cannot change solenoids but GM don't sell the parts for it. BMW only used GM gearbox for a few years before switching back to ZF. Hence if you have a faulty GM gearbox, the usual fix is either change the mechatronics or the whole gearbox (PML favourite fix).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all, just owned a pre-owned 2009 E90 model 318i near to 6 months. Mileage 110k. Just did servicing and ATF change.
Need views from all experts here as this is my first BMW. I experienced 1st gear to 2nd gear change very abrupt,( like gear engage very forcefully) when engine is cold. Recently, the gear symbol appeared when I was stationary at traffic lights. I managed to drive a little (less than 20m) to stop at road side, shut down and restarting engine, the symbol was gone till now. My Mechanic highly recommends a overhaul at 1.8k. Is it really needed and reasonable for me to go for it?

Secondly, I notice engine oil(suspected) dripping under the carriage. Position is slightly in the middle, after the front wheels. Please advise!

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
123bclub66
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back