Lowering Spring vs Coilovers?

tom_ting

Gentlemen....need some more advice on spring vs coilover.

I want the lowered looks of H&R sport, but i heard its a little stiffer if run on 19". Can coilover solve my problem? As i heard from friends that most coilovers are even stiffer than lowering spring, issit true?

thanks

Re: Lowering Spring vs Coilovers?

You need this: Koni FSD's.

Coilovers are designed for high performance handling, aka really stiff ride. Yes some damping adjustable coilovers do allow you to adjust damping and rebound rate, and at the softest setting, it can get reasonably comfortable.

But it's a waste of money to buy coilovers to get comfortable becos they are designed for the opposite. The reason why the are so expensive is becos they are engineered to give you a high performance handling, stiff ride.

My opinion is Koni FSD's is your answer. Reasons:
1) much cheaper than coilovers
2) can use your H&R springs with them
3) more comfortable than coilovers and even OEM BMW sports suspension
4) handles better than OEM BMW sports suspension

I know cos I use them. However, I will go coilovers sooner or later becos they are not stiff enough for track use. On the street, I'd say they're perfect.

How many type are there Koni FSD? they are just the shocks to replace the OEM ones, rite?

What's the price range like for Koni FSD? give me a contact to get in touch pls..thanks

There is only ONE type of Koni FSD. Just like there is only one type of Nokia N93.

They should be in the price range of $1400-$1500 for a set of 4. You can get them from BVO. You can also get KW's from BVO since I saw you post on the KW thread.

BVO Auto
Blk 15, Sin Ming Ind Est #01-111
Tel: 64551566

Some info/review on Koni FSD's:

Koni FSD. The first shock absorber offering superior road-holding without compromising comfort.

KONI FSD Dampers Improve Handling Without the Traditional Sacrifice in Ride Quality

chickenbackside;155693 said:
3) more comfortable than coilovers and even OEM BMW sports suspension

Looks like my MATACHIA needs one :woowooo:

if u just want looks, just cut your current springs...........ride comfort should be retained.

at what mileage do we need to change our shock and spring? that is the stock shocka nd srping fully depreciated?

yeah did that too my old first gen civic (student got no $$$$ like students now a days). But must know how to do it and cannot cut more then ONE spring.

Tomting...

Buy Chix Backside's FSDs... you will get it cheaper, lowered and comfy... everything all solved...

Chix.. sell your FSDs and get them coilovers...

& I will not advocate cutting of springs... too many things can go wrong...

Word out.

Am riding on KW variant III, but jepun chia, so may be different. Found it very comfy, and certainly tamed the rear end a lot. Running on max height, which is about 2 cm drop from stock, and the coilovers are capable of a further 2.5 cm drop.

maybe i'll go with the H&R spring first since i'll be running PS2. Heard that this tyre is softer than most other brand.

Hi tom_ting,

tom_ting said:
i'll be running PS2. Heard that this tyre is softer than most other brand.
PS2s are very soft indeed - the difference is pretty dramatic compared to the stock run flats.

After being on KW Var2 for several months and running various settings (raising/lowering, softening/hardening). I've settled on softer-than-factory setting as well as aprx 5mm above factory height - partly due to hump scraping. kekeke.

KWs by default sit very low. (1 finger gap front, 0.5 finger rear) - because of the progressive spring, the comfort for mild/gradual bumps is still very good (i.e. expressway roads). When you hit major potholes, that's where more of the stiffness can be felt due to the stronger rebound at higher compression of the spring. In light of this, it's easy for the car to seat low while providing reasonable levels of comfort.

The downside is that for tracking, linear springs are preferred and in such cases, opting for the race springs may be an alternative.

Comparing the Var2 with lowering springs - I noted more roll in my KW than the lowering springs (which sat the car higher) which I found unusual, I attribute this to the progressive springs at this juncture. It's not a bad thing IMO. Just an observation. :)

The Bilstein PSS9s are a good alternative as well if you're going the coilover route. Good luck in your purchase!

Gombat;155742 said:
if u just want looks, just cut your current springs...........ride comfort should be retained.

SIAO!! Cut springs will lower the ride - yes, but the spring rate won't be the same & you'll be bouncing all over the road!!

'The Great White'

FiftyFive;155767 said:
Tomting...

Buy Chix Backside's FSDs... you will get it cheaper, lowered and comfy... everything all solved...

Chix.. sell your FSDs and get them coilovers...

& I will not advocate cutting of springs... too many things can go wrong...

Word out.

Dun tink CBS E46 FSD can fit Tomting's E90.............:lol2:

'The Great White'

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ae8888tech
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back