My E90 320i Repair Journal

Re: My E90 320i Repair Journal

AsusEpoxy;716985 said:
how much did the GB cost u from Propel?
Propel pays me $1k to scrap the car:ultrasho:

Hi , i am new to the community.
Just gotten my 07 E90 320i bought over from a friend. Need advice from all the old bird here.
On her last servicing bill from PML stated 'Replaced oil pan gasket' & 'Replaced crankshaft radial seal' with the cost of $1200 from PML.
Can anyone kind soul here tell me what does that mean ? Sorry my question may sound abit stupid but i just dun understand as my friend (she is a lady ) told me its for the gear box and fluid was changed too, which i doubt so ??
Any kind soul can enlighten me. Many thanks....

mcqueen;717198 said:
Hi , i am new to the community.
Just gotten my 07 E90 320i bought over from a friend. Need advice from all the old bird here.
On her last servicing bill from PML stated 'Replaced oil pan gasket' & 'Replaced crankshaft radial seal' with the cost of $1200 from PML.
Can anyone kind soul here tell me what does that mean ? Sorry my question may sound abit stupid but i just dun understand as my friend (she is a lady ) told me its for the gear box and fluid was changed too, which i doubt so ??
Any kind soul can enlighten me. Many thanks....

For the Oil Pan gasket, its the oil pan at the bottom of the engine where the engine oil is stored or will flow back to after the engine has been switched off.

As for the crankshaft seal, the crankshaft pulley behind, there is a seal, the seal is to prevent oil from leaking out.

Hope I cleared your doubts.

Hi guys im new here, bought a pre owned 318i 09 (post face lift) model. Taking delivery soon, excited.
Anything i should check? in particular problems that faced by 318i 2009 models?

iamdarren79;719053 said:
Hi guys im new here, bought a pre owned 318i 09 (post face lift) model. Taking delivery soon, excited.
Anything i should check? in particular problems that faced by 318i 2009 models?

Basically if the previous owner did all the required maintenance, the car should be alright. But do take note of oil leaks at the engine cam cover area.

U open up bonnet, u can see the engine block, at the edge of the engine which is right in front of you, look at the 2 black semi circle area, see got oil seeping out anot, if got, get it done up.

Best is to send the car into a trustworthy workshop and get them to give the engine a once over.

delrosa81;719117 said:
Basically if the previous owner did all the required maintenance, the car should be alright. But do take note of oil leaks at the engine cam cover area.

U open up bonnet, u can see the engine block, at the edge of the engine which is right in front of you, look at the 2 black semi circle area, see got oil seeping out anot, if got, get it done up.

Best is to send the car into a trustworthy workshop and get them to give the engine a once over.

thanks! will check that. engine shld be checked already cos i buy from ppsl?
also, what are major problems of 318i e90 2009, and how to properly maintain it so it will not give me problems? I'm a gentle driver btw. the milege is at 25k now. just done servicing in Nov by pml.

iamdarren79;719150 said:
also, what are major problems of 318i e90 2009, and how to properly maintain it so it will not give me problems? I'm a gentle driver btw. the milege is at 25k now. just done servicing in Nov by pml.

By right car should be in good condition but if you are still worried, send it to your trustworthy workshop for them to give it a once over.

As for the problems, this engine is prone to oil leaks, as per what my first post, those are the problem spots after 3 years old so you can refer to that.

Being a gentle driver is good for the transmission but not so good for the engine, do go WOT once in awhile to exercise the engine. Do NOT change oil every 25,000km, change it max at 10,000km travelled or the new 12,500km serviving interval.

One more thing, do NOT neglect your brake fluids, power steering fluids, radiator coolant and rear differential oil. Flushing and changing them out are not expensive, so do remember to do flush and changing maybe once your car reaches 100,000km. As for the transmission, an oil change is approx. $700++ so if you wan a good lasting car, don forget to spend this money to change out the transmission oil as well.

Other than that, you are good to go. But remember, be prepared for repairs after 100,000km as what I have posted earlier. Take it in a positive way, don be frustrated. Even though its just a 2.0 NA In Line 4 engine, I still find driving the car an immense pleasure. Especially in the twisty bits, never fail to put a smile on my face.

iamdarren79;719150 said:

i presumed ur ride will come with extended warranty from PPSL ya? Ur ride is relatively new (mileage wise), there should not be much of a prob in the near future (but its ultimately a matter of heng sway lah). Hence,unless ur very mechanically savvy, where you change your own oil / parts, inspect your own ride etc etc, the next best thing you can do is to ensure ur ride is serviced at regular / designated interval (PPSL / other establised garage for Bimmers). Else, theres pretty nothing much u can do to prevent problems....... Welcome, Good luc & stay stock :woottt::woottt::woottt:

het;719190 said:
i presumed ur ride will come with extended warranty from PPSL ya? Ur ride is relatively new (mileage wise), there should not be much of a prob in the near future (but its ultimately a matter of heng sway lah). Hence,unless ur very mechanically savvy, where you change your own oil / parts, inspect your own ride etc etc, the next best thing you can do is to ensure ur ride is serviced at regular / designated interval (PPSL / other establised garage for Bimmers). Else, theres pretty nothing much u can do to prevent problems....... Welcome, Good luc & stay stock :woottt::woottt::woottt:

thanks for reassuring.
1. im not savvy so i will rely on regular servicing at pml/established garage then. can i ask for servicing, i heard your car will tell u to do so, by means of indicator lights. I will ask the sales person more abt this when i take delivery then?
2. yes it comes with extended warranty from ppsl. hope this works out well for me though i dont wish to have problems at all in first place!

btw im v worried abt gearbox issues and eventual dying. i heard it shld last till 120,000 km? of cos with good maintanece. How shld i check that when i take delivery of the car? any kind advice?

iamdarren79;719201 said:
btw im v worried abt gearbox issues and eventual dying. i heard it shld last till 120,000 km? of cos with good maintanece. How shld i check that when i take delivery of the car? any kind advice?

This is difficult to say, only thing I can advice is to feel the gear shifts whether it is jerky and when you engage reverse or drive, make sure it engages almost immediately and there is no more than 2 secs for gear engagement thats all.

Other than that, it should be fine. Don worry too much, your car still very new and mileage very low so it should last you for a long while.

There are ppl on the net saying it lasts approx. 100,000miles or 167,000km. So don be too worried about it. Change out your atf at every 50,000km traveled and it should last you till you change car?

delrosa81;719206 said:
This is difficult to say, only thing I can advice is to feel the gear shifts whether it is jerky and when you engage reverse or drive, make sure it engages almost immediately and there is no more than 2 secs for gear engagement thats all.

Other than that, it should be fine. Don worry too much, your car still very new and mileage very low so it should last you for a long while.

There are ppl on the net saying it lasts approx. 100,000miles or 167,000km. So don be too worried about it. Change out your atf at every 50,000km traveled and it should last you till you change car?

ok will take note of the atf part. thanks! for servicing, isit true we listen to the car and watch for indicator and not like jap cars u go every 10,000 km?

as for jerking, if u engage from drive to park, and it jerks, does that mean something wrong w gear box? sorry im like 0% car and tech savvy

iamdarren79;719212 said:
ok will take note of the atf part. thanks! for servicing, isit true we listen to the car and watch for indicator and not like jap cars u go every 10,000 km?

Yes if ur those mroe relax type of driver but for me, I would prefer to change out every 10K, easier to remember to as well. Mines oso a pre-owned. When i 1st got my ride, mileage is at 15K and i went to change engine oill at 20K, so that it will pretty much be idiot proof for me.

het;719224 said:
Yes if ur those mroe relax type of driver but for me, I would prefer to change out every 10K, easier to remember to as well. Mines oso a pre-owned. When i 1st got my ride, mileage is at 15K and i went to change engine oill at 20K, so that it will pretty much be idiot proof for me.

Thanks the car just pml serviced last month at 20plus k I will check the servicing record to see if engine oil is changed , if not I will send to change it. Right?

Also any comments on my jerk issue ah?

iamdarren79;719229 said:
Thanks the car just pml serviced last month at 20plus k I will check the servicing record to see if engine oil is changed , if not I will send to change it. Right?

Also any comments on my jerk issue ah?

I commented on in the other thread to your query. Check it out.

het;719224 said:

did u book a appmt with pml to change the engine oil? think i will change at 30k, since now is 25k when i collect.

Recently did a replacement of engine gasket because of oil leak and the service centre went ahead to do my regular servicing with 3000km to go without informing me. Now the car don't feel like the drive I know before the servicing. Understood that they balanced my staggered wheels during the servicing and did a reset to my ECM. Now the ride is really bumpy, when going over humps, I can feel the car's suspension not performing already. And also I lost all the "power" of the car, had to floor the accelerator when I pick up and overtake now. Even my driving amateur wife can feel the lack of power to our car now.
Am heading back to ask the servicing guys to have a look again. Any bro can advise what could the issue and what I should ask the guys to check?
HELP!!!!

06 320i pre-FL
Mileage : 65k
Staggered wheels 18"

BestManWins;719860 said:
Recently did a replacement of engine gasket because of oil leak and the service centre went ahead to do my regular servicing with 3000km to go without informing me. Now the car don't feel like the drive I know before the servicing. Understood that they balanced my staggered wheels during the servicing and did a reset to my ECM. Now the ride is really bumpy, when going over humps, I can feel the car's suspension not performing already. And also I lost all the "power" of the car, had to floor the accelerator when I pick up and overtake now. Even my driving amateur wife can feel the lack of power to our car now.
Am heading back to ask the servicing guys to have a look again. Any bro can advise what could the issue and what I should ask the guys to check?
HELP!!!!

06 320i pre-FL
Mileage : 65k
Staggered wheels 18"

Do a check whether they have overfilled engine oil in your engine, our engine oil capacity is 4.3 litres, alot of workshops keep saying its 4.5 litres. Having slightly more engine oil will make ur car feel sluggish. Do give this a check. Might be just simply overfilled engine oil. As for bumpy ride, it might be recent pump up of higher pressures, does ur workshop top up the tyre pressure for you? If so, check it out too.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asahihotpotvn
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back