My F30 Mod today

Re: My F30 Mod today

Wah... BMW can only use their own rims or expensive rims... I didn't experience any sound problem using BBS.

Bernie66;848301 said:
For the benefit of all that wanna change rim. Maybe I will share my past encounter in more detail.

After getting the sound, i made an appointment with pml only to hear that they claim i have changed to aftermarket rims. I tot it was bullshit initially and blast off thinking its another pml "powerful smoke-bomb after sales service again". I remember the pml guy call charlie mentioned on the material and composite used on Original Rim hence muting the sound/vibration. Next I went after the rim distributor and try to make a claim. They were good and let me test a new rim, as expected it gave the same sound the next day morning. Determined to retify the horrendous sound, I spent another 1k odd to change all original brake pads and brake disc. Again it didnt work even after i run in the brakes.

Knowing i have done almost everything except changing back to original rim. I went for the plunge and bought M rim 18" with new tyres. Voila and it worked... more story goes on till I decided to give a try again on aftermarket rim but this time full forge rim 19". It went well too.. Long and tedious way of knowing how the sound came from.....:evil:

Care to share what tyres you were on and made where when you got the 'wrong wrong' sound?

Glad to hear that you got it sorted out eventually abeit an expensive experience.

wt_know;848337 said:
oem bmw wheel (ie: original m 18" rim) = no problem
19" full forged rim = no problem
cheapo rim material = got problem

is that the final conclusion?

breyton classified as? not cheap either.. :thinking:

Cheap, cheaper, cheapest all relative mah bro : )

Like for myself $300 - $500 per rim already very expensive to me, others may find it cheap while others will think its still very expensive : )

simville;848347 said:
Wah... BMW can only use their own rims or expensive rims... I didn't experience any sound problem using BBS.

BBS has solid cast / forged processes, shld not have any issues. Been using 3 sets of BBS in the past w/o any problems. Anyway if M rims r that good, why do race BMWs use BBS also? :D:D:D

nighthawkcity;848372 said:
breyton classified as? not cheap either.. :thinking:

one of my TTS uses Breyton and has bad vibrations in high speeds no matter how he balanced the wheels. Dunno how true that is for Bimmers tho :thinking:

wt_know;848337 said:
oem bmw wheel (ie: original m 18" rim) = no problem
19" full forged rim = no problem
cheapo rim material = got problem

is that the final conclusion?

Yep that is right. Oem I've tried 16" 17" and 18" all no prob. Rim material definitely play a part in sound resonating.

simville;848347 said:

Am glad to hear that cos I've ordered my bbs and coming 2 weeks later lol..

Growler;848376 said:
Cheap, cheaper, cheapest all relative mah bro : )

Like for myself $300 - $500 per rim already very expensive to me, others may find it cheap while others will think its still very expensive : )

no matter one bro, best to complain to AD is when the particular problem is oem, not altered or modified, else u cant blame them for not honoring the warranty or even bother checking :D

wheels r subjective to individuals and also their budgets ma, some can spend so much just for the nice shoes kekekeke some love Bata while some insist on LVs or Guccis only whahahhahahaaa :D:D:D

ben1;848360 said:
Care to share what tyres you were on and made where when you got the 'wrong wrong' sound?

Glad to hear that you got it sorted out eventually abeit an expensive experience.

Pretty sure the sound doesn't come from the tyres. Cos during the changing of rims, I have tried similar tyres and the sound gone like magic.. Btw the tyres I've used so far are csc5, csc3, hankook, Bridgestone rtf, ps2.

Btw I'm not saying Bretons are lousy. Just that the material they use now are cast hence producing the sound. Perhaps Bretons forge or form flowing cast(dunno if Breytons have it anot) dun have sound issue. I wonder Oem BMW wheels are what kind of cast. Issit the same as bbs? Anyone?

Bernie66;848463 said:
Am glad to hear that cos I've ordered my bbs and coming 2 weeks later lol..

So which BBS rims you got and what color is your ride? Remember to post pictures!

simville;848474 said:
So which BBS rims you got and what color is your ride? Remember to post pictures!

Sure bro I will post when the wheels are in! Btw I'm highly gg for square setup this time with 8.5" width. Now I'm having headache for tyre size. Dunno if I should go for 225/40/19 or 245/35/19 all corners.

Bernie66;848226 said:
Is urs a cast rim? I had this prob with my old E90 using Taiwan rims and breyton(both cast rim). Had changed at least 5sets of rim to attest that. However BMW original rim and forged rim are all good. I dunno if BMW original cast rim are form flowing cast or not but I'm getting bbs(form flowing cast) for my current ride. Really hope no morning screeching...

hi , mine is forged not cast,

tc73;848499 said:

Sry to hear that forge also give same noise. Btw ur "Wong" sound as loud as honk and only happen during cold engine in the morn ya? Oh yes for ur reference the forged I used is bc forged Rim.

Bernie66;848622 said:
Sry to hear that forge also give same noise. Btw ur "Wong" sound as loud as honk and only happen during cold engine in the morn ya? Oh yes for ur reference the forged I used is bc forged Rim.

well the sound happens only after the car has not been driven for past 2, 3 hrs at least , ie when given time to cool, my forge rims are rays,

Bernie66;848470 said:
Btw I'm not saying Bretons are lousy. Just that the material they use now are cast hence producing the sound. Perhaps Bretons forge or form flowing cast(dunno if Breytons have it anot) dun have sound issue. I wonder Oem BMW wheels are what kind of cast. Issit the same as bbs? Anyone?

Oem wheels have one primary advantage, they dun need centre O rings to ensure fit, they r tailored to. Usual supplies r rubber type that might erode over time and the cushioning might not be that awesome when u talk abt high heat during high speed runs.

The material should be fine unless its sub grade, its more into the process of forming such wheels. A stamp and go vs a detailed process will be different. I dun face problems with Taiwan rims in the past when I have usual Jap rides, but certain drives like STI, the S4 etc are more sensitive due to their AWD nature, thus a proper cast rim or best forged is better.

Bernie66;848479 said:
Sure bro I will post when the wheels are in! Btw I'm highly gg for square setup this time with 8.5" width. Now I'm having headache for tyre size. Dunno if I should go for 225/40/19 or 245/35/19 all corners.

I'm on 225 and 255 F/R, if I can choose again I'll opt for 235/265 kekekekeee

tc73;848499 said:

I'm on BC Forged as well, the noise I have is more pronounced with the oem brakes, something that u would expect with BBK in the past experiences. The 'wong-ing' sound wise, nope dun have it :D

tortoise;847215 said:
Ok finally got some time for front/rear pics.

335_2012_July_06.jpg

335_2012_July_062.jpg

MA just called me the M interior panels are in this week, will post the pics once installed :D

Waiting for your pictures bro

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxmaxii

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back