Nissan GT-R Officially Revealed

Re: Nissan GT-R Officially Revealed

medium_2226407316_424c6d12bf_o.jpg

Mock - I assume that's the V Spec we have been discussing? Added air vents and a different spoiler - assume to increase downforce and a CF hood. Those rims do look cool! Wonder if can get my hands on them!!!

centurion;294992 said:
Shaun, you exhibit more interest in this car than any other.... what so special about the GTR that you so interested?

It's quick round just about any track - even small ones, has a decent displacement engine, FI, stiff (anecdotal), powerful yet at low engine stress (longevity), intelligent AWD (low downforce street sports car necessity as power levels continue to rise - downforce not option because of lemming demands..see end), industry leading aerodynamics (unconfirmed till more heard from Nissan), good suspension type, cheap, spacious, looks absolutely great in side and rear. Front's only so so though. But looks are looks, so whatever..

It's a real all rounder and an alternative to having a commuter car and a separate fun track car. It's not a direct replacement for it though because it's still very different from even just a fun track car. Then beyond it's shifter karts and race cars.

Only other car in this price and performance range is Z06, but I think the GTR is slightly more everyday nice and easy on the street because of AWD, interior, power, transmission, also not as flashy (a positive). Power down through TC is different (compromised) from power down through AWD. Z06 gets great mileage cos of the engine spec and vehicle weight though. Both cars are such capable all-round supercar killers and 1/4 to 1/2 the price. ZR1 will probably cost significantly more, and all that power is academic really, in terms of literally 99% of driving.. esp on street tires..and TC is a crutch.

Few things holding me back are GTR's pig weight (I like even a fun track car to be able to run consistent quick laps and not have the car fight itself in the mechanical sense (mass, accel, inefficiency, wear)), preoccupation with other things for now that don't really allow time for long enjoyable drives outside the city and the usual all day trackday. Daily commute totals 2 hours, but that's all standard 80 mph tops congested cruise. Also the fact that business plans already include an all out race car as a company campaign car, in which case it makes sense to forget an all rounder and just stick to my comfortable commuter cruiser, and put the money saved into other areas.

Looking forward to how V spec turns out, but I don't anticipate it being any less than 1500 kg which still is kind of fat for fun consistent track IMO. I think 1400 kg might be on the edge, or beyond, what is possible for a full size, full comfort, high power AWD, coupe to run. Look at the M3 CSL weight - and that's already with heavy sport focus, significantly less power, and just RWD.

So during periods of logic lapse, the car looks like perfect all rounder and is tempting, so I look into it a little. Like I've said before.. when a Japanese company finally builds a mid engined, 4 corner double A armed or multilink suspended, largish displacement, high power, lightweight RWD with lots of downforce (reducing need for AWD), for these kinds of prices (their economies of scale).. that'll be the day I probably will cave to emotion although at that point it probably will be a lot more logical because a car like that would be extremely capable especially for a production car. To spec your own marginally quicker/responsive car would cost maybe twice as much because you're small scale. GM could actually do it too if they wanted. Just not enough market for it I guess. Example is manufacturer crate engines. A 1 of 50, 24 hour spec race engine might cost somewhere around 100K and make 650hp through mandated air restrictors. Now manufacturers have engines that can make 650 hp at production reliability that sell for less than 20K. It is not as light, responsive, fuel efficient, as the race units but only marginally so. You could double budget for engines like that and be right there with all the all out stuff. The catch is there has to be market ready to huge number you produce. Same with cars, only trickier since engines can go into a variety of vehicles, but cars are complete individual units.

The growing obsession with 0-100 times and top speeds is in reality anti-sport. If these stupid obsessions didn't exist, sportscars (including the GTR) would overall be significantly better cars. Not that they aren't good but they could be a whole lot better for same or less cost. Why is another topic for another day.

==

On the tire issue, special compounds are an option and might be able to resist wear better and keep car consistent, but it could run (and hold) better times with more conventional compounds at lower vehicle weight. Lighter competitor cars also would not require these compounds and could go quicker and/or for less.

timechaser;295598 said:
Mock - I assume that's the V Spec we have been discussing? Added air vents and a different spoiler - assume to increase downforce and a CF hood. Those rims do look cool! Wonder if can get my hands on them!!!

Those are TE37. The new 20" variants

RAYS

big.jpg

I saw the ones on Sunfire (did i get that right) red GTR. Now those would look sweet if I can get them in a titanium colour!!! Mod heaven

DoggieHowser;294562 said:

Watching the full episode now.. and there's quite a lot missing from the YouTube rips..

First of all, the slalom run was quite interesting. The GT3 was understeering through the cones, the Turbo was oversteering, with the Superleg posting the fastest time, GTR second.

Then they did this bohliao segment called supercar checklist.

First check: car horn (in terms of aggression)

Winner: Turbo

GTR was slightly higher timbre than all the European supercars. NSX was terrible... like a toycar!

Check 2: rear view mirror approach (in terms of aggression)

Car in front is a Subaru Legacy and each supercar is rated on how aggressive it looks in the rear view mirror.. coming from behind

laugh until penz

ps Gallardo won second Check..

Gallardo almost beat the GTR..hehe like that,Murcielago sure win liao.

Doggie - these are the rims I was aiming at - Volk Racing RE30s.

volkracingRE30rims.jpg

Trouble will not be finding the right rims to fit the GTR - it will be the size and the offsets. The GTR needs 20x9.5 on the fronts and 20x10.5 on the rear. For the life of me, cannot find any rims which come in these sizes! Guess manufacturers will take a closer look now that the GTR is on the road.

BTW - any further updates on the VXROM? heard it was ready to ship but no confo yet!

TAS had a few rim options available for the GTR. Probably need to wait for the Hyper Rev issue for the R35 to be out for all the options to be listed.

From what I understand, VXROM today requires you to ship the ECU to MINES, they reflash as per yr instructions, then they ship back. No "new" ECUs to buy yet.

22"!!!!

:)

I quite like the on the DMG!

Oh - I saw those iforged ones yday - hate those with a vengeance!!!

Bling's not me...

Doggie - you got PM re: VXRom

Couldnt agree more. The agression dies down, and makes this resemble nothing but a tarted up G35 rather than the menacing animal it is...

hiya bro, do you know about the status regarding the speed limiter?

DoggieHowser;295914 said:
TAS had a few rim options available for the GTR. Probably need to wait for the Hyper Rev issue for the R35 to be out for all the options to be listed.

From what I understand, VXROM today requires you to ship the ECU to MINES, they reflash as per yr instructions, then they ship back. No "new" ECUs to buy yet.

heh heh .... better stick to the Volk! so when is the DMG arriving?

timechaser;296483 said:
Couldnt agree more. The agression dies down, and makes this resemble nothing but a tarted up G35 rather than the menacing animal it is...

I will - current fav is the RE30s, as on one of the tuner cars in Japan. Unless something better arrives.

The Speed limiter VX Rom is out - but you need to send the ECU to mines for a reflash. They still havent started producing pre-flashed ECUs. I have asked my PI about this - will let know once I hear anything.

And the DMG arrives end June. Have a car to sell till then!!!

Cheers

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jsjl444

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back