Nissan GT-R Officially Revealed

Re: Nissan GT-R Officially Revealed

The flip side to things! Had an interesting conversation today about the GTR.

Told by a colleague that Tan Chong Bukit Timah have a GTR Black Edition displayed prominently so gave them a call. Got picked up by a lady (lets call her XX, and avoid the unpleasantness of mentioning her name here).

Here is how it went:

XX: How Can I help you?
TC: Heard you have the GTR in the showroom - is this Nissan bringing it in or not?

XX: It is not Nissan, but a subsidiary of Tan Chong.
TC: So basically another PI...

XX: No no sir, this is a subsidiary of Tan Chong, who are the authorised sellers of Nissan in Singapore
TC: So it IS Nissan bringing it in?

XX: No sir, not Nissan, a subsidiary of Tan Chong...
TC: So NOT Nissan means another PI (I realised we were going around in circles here)

XX: No sir, this is not PI - this is partly Nissan because Tan Chong are...
TC: (I cut in at this point, realising the futility of the conversation) OK, what are you selling it for?

XX: We are selling it for 3300000 (that is exactly what she said - three three hundred thousand).
TC: OMG! You realise that is 3.3 million!!!

XX: No no, sorry sir - I meant 330,000
TC: So what are you selling the base model for (I was assuming this was the premium she's talking about)

XX: No base model sir, this is the black edition we are bringing in only
TC: Oh ok. So why the high price? Other PI are selling same car for $280 around!!!

XX: Our car is different sir... it is not the same as PI
TC: (Interested suddenly - basically thinking that this is the English edition i.e. buttons with english on them etc.) - How is that?

XX: Sir the spec on our car is different from PI
TC: (Getting confused now as I know there are only 3 editions and the spec is standard) How?

XX: (reaching for some papers from her colleague) Sir our car comes with a twin turbo V6 engine...

At this point I lost it and asked her point blank whether she had any clue what she was talking about.

Talked to a more knowledgeable person later who confirmed the price was $335,500. The OMV would be $117K. This is the black edition, and the servicing will be done by another subsidiary of Tan Chong called Auto Refurbishing Centre.

So basically, Tan Chong trying to get into the act - but no Nissan visibility here! Another PI, and this one's a rip-off!

Shaun;294684 said:
In earlier post "rapid succession (due to lots of power)" is meant in that power gets you down the straights to the next braking and cornering areas quicker. Across a typical road course lap, it is the braking and cornering accelerations that are hardest on the tires. It is these forces coming in rapid succession that hurt tires, not power-on longitudinal acceleration in typical driving (non-launch, no high slip ratios). So the influence of power on tire degradation in almost all driving situations, especially road courses, is indirect - although I put it in parenthesis right next to rapid succession.

What does 7,400 km Including 80 Laps of Fuji Speedway Do to GT-R Tyres?

7400km on Fuji Speedway :p or 80laps or so

fswtyres001.jpg

fswtyres002.jpg
:ultrasho:

I think they mean 7400 km total, most covered on road, with the last 365 of those km (80 laps) covered on Fuji Speedway. Speedway alone will have accounted for most of that wear. He is a new driver ... really ploughing it into the turns, doing almost all the steering with the wheel and none with throttle and brakes, consistently way too much steering and snap return exits. Hugging individual sides of the track, narrow entries, near zero track out, no line..esp around T1. It is very hard on the tires (esp fronts) driving the car like that and you can hear it too. So this test is pretty skewed (unnecessarily harsh). No conclusion yet..

whatever you say, it is going to cost a bomb to replace those 20 inchers!!!

But (i didnt manage to read the article - couldnt access it) - if what shaun says is right, there is still hope for those of us who dont intend to track the car to death!

Shaun, you exhibit more interest in this car than any other.... what so special about the GTR that you so interested?

dropped by tan chong on the way home today and was kindly given a sneak preview.

they are bringing in 7, jdm model with 180kmph speed limiter, of which one was sold today. estimated delivery date is sometime in april. as previously stated, warranty and service will be provided by their subsidiary company. its a one year or 20,000km warranty only.

the sales people didn't know much more other than price and OMV, no spec sheet, no brochure, no firm launch date yet, etc.... unless you really want to view the car in the flesh, it ain't quite worth the trip down.

Well if you cant beat them ....... :)

Where would this Auto Refurbishing Centre be located?

Any idea if they are bringing in the full diagnostics?

timechaser;294892 said:
The flip side to things! Had an interesting conversation today about the GTR.

Told by a colleague that Tan Chong Bukit Timah have a GTR Black Edition displayed prominently so gave them a call. Got picked up by a lady (lets call her XX, and avoid the unpleasantness of mentioning her name here).

Here is how it went:

XX: How Can I help you?
TC: Heard you have the GTR in the showroom - is this Nissan bringing it in or not?

XX: It is not Nissan, but a subsidiary of Tan Chong.
TC: So basically another PI...

XX: No no sir, this is a subsidiary of Tan Chong, who are the authorised sellers of Nissan in Singapore
TC: So it IS Nissan bringing it in?

XX: No sir, not Nissan, a subsidiary of Tan Chong...
TC: So NOT Nissan means another PI (I realised we were going around in circles here)

XX: No sir, this is not PI - this is partly Nissan because Tan Chong are...
TC: (I cut in at this point, realising the futility of the conversation) OK, what are you selling it for?

XX: We are selling it for 3300000 (that is exactly what she said - three three hundred thousand).
TC: OMG! You realise that is 3.3 million!!!

XX: No no, sorry sir - I meant 330,000
TC: So what are you selling the base model for (I was assuming this was the premium she's talking about)

XX: No base model sir, this is the black edition we are bringing in only
TC: Oh ok. So why the high price? Other PI are selling same car for $280 around!!!

XX: Our car is different sir... it is not the same as PI
TC: (Interested suddenly - basically thinking that this is the English edition i.e. buttons with english on them etc.) - How is that?

XX: Sir the spec on our car is different from PI
TC: (Getting confused now as I know there are only 3 editions and the spec is standard) How?

XX: (reaching for some papers from her colleague) Sir our car comes with a twin turbo V6 engine...

At this point I lost it and asked her point blank whether she had any clue what she was talking about.

Talked to a more knowledgeable person later who confirmed the price was $335,500. The OMV would be $117K. This is the black edition, and the servicing will be done by another subsidiary of Tan Chong called Auto Refurbishing Centre.

So basically, Tan Chong trying to get into the act - but no Nissan visibility here! Another PI, and this one's a rip-off!

ulysses;295252 said:
Well if you cant beat them ....... :)

Where would this Auto Refurbishing Centre be located?

Any idea if they are bringing in the full diagnostics?

Too true - and in this case, since you can confound some dudheads off the streets, rip them off too.

No idea about ARC - never heard of them. As for diagnostics, doubt that. Similar reason as other PIs. This is NOT nissan.

Just saw the car driving pass my office! In gun-metal...very fierce with awesome road presence!

Drooling...

There's a design review of the GT-R in Sports Car International this month. Needless to say it is extremely aggressive and ugly, but ugly is correct for this car.

Ugly is perhaps too extreme a word to describe the design of the GT-R.

I would probably prefer the word "brutal." Definitely not a chick's car.

Certainly not pretty, but brutally functional with just one function - speed.

Who cares if someone somewhere thinks its ugly!

the design review was quite specific, that the GT-R did not look FAST compared to the G35/G37.

It is masculine, aggressive and brutish. not a pretty car. Pretty cars are all feminine - eg. ALL Porsche sportscars. Chick cars, all.

Copy of an article about the design inspiration for the GT-R. Taken from "Go-Auto." Apologies if it is a re-post, as I haven't read through this entire thread.

Dial 911 for GT-R

Dream to reality: The new GT-R with an early design sketch (background).

Nissan GT-R designer admits he drew inspiration from the timeless Porsche 911

By BYRON MATHIOUDAKIS 8 November 2007

NISSAN chief designer Shiro Nakamura has revealed that the timeless nature of the Porsche 911 was a guiding force behind the look of the all-new R35-series GT-R supercar.

Speaking at last month’s recent Tokyo motor show, Mr Nakamura said his goal with the GT-R was to achieve a “stand-alone” look that expressed modern Japanese culture.

He singled out the Porsche 911 as a great example of automotive design that has withstood fashions and trends throughout its lifetime while evolving with the times.

“The Porsche 911’s design vocabulary is stand-alone, so it does not look old,” Mr Nakamura said. “So I had a similar mindset.”

“With the production model, we wanted it to look less decorative (than the 2005 GT-R Proto).

“Simpler is better. Design-wise the GT-R was very much designed by the wind tunnel. (Its) aerodynamics are very good – it looks boxy but (actually) it is very good.”

Mr Nakamura said that despite the divergence of GT-R and the more mainstream Skyline models, Nissan did not consider switching to a mid-engined arrangement for its premium sportscar.

“There was an opportunity to do that but I think the GT-R has a long history, a long heritage... it is the sixth-generation GT-R – and even though we have taken the ‘Skyline’ name out, it (must) still be very practical, and not just very fast – a four-seater 2+2,” he said.

According to Mr Nakamura, ultimate useability was (and always will be) one of the main criteria central to the GT-R’s cause.

Left: GT-R Proto sketch and Porsche 911 Turbo.

“We could have made the cabin much tighter, like a sportscar, but we didn’t, because even though it is one of the fastest cars in the world, at the same time we wanted to make enough space to drive everyday,” he said.

“We didn’t want to make a car that you could just use once a month... (but) a car you could take your friends in. That is, for us, much more Nissan.

“We want people to use the GT-R – and that is why it is at an affordable price. That’s why the pricing is amazingly low... you can use it for daily life, anywhere and anytime.”

Mr Nakamura defended the latest GT-R’s public six-year gestation period that saw an early design proposal known as the GT-R Concept unveiled at the 2001 Tokyo motor show, followed by a second – the GT-R Proto – four years later.

“I don’t think there is nothing new or old about the GT-R,” he said.

The Nissan designer was unconcerned about claims that the GT-R’s look – especially around the nose – has already been seen in rival manufacturers’ products (notably compatriot Mitsubishi with its new Lancer Evo X) as a result of displaying concepts and prototypes years before the production GT-R saw the light of day.

“The design of the GT-R itself – I don’t think anybody else can copy it, (or) that the design (could) work for anything else other than the GT-R,” he said. “I think it is so unique.”

Having finalised the GT-R’s design three years ago, Mr Nakamura believes that if he had tried to make the R35 more contemporary, it would then quickly date.

To illustrate this, he admitted that the earliest GT-R proposal has not stood the test of time well.

“The (2001) GT-R Concept looks very weak to me,” he said. “I don’t feel the power. It doesn’t show enough energy on the inside. It looks nice... but I cannot feel the three-dimensional energy coming in on the inside.”

Nevertheless, despite the 911 acting as an inspiration for design longevity, Mr Nakamura is adamant that the new GT-R is nothing like any rival past or present.

“We want to be nothing like a Ferrari or a Porsche, and we don’t want to be in the design trend, or in the mainstream,” he said. “For example, when we design a normal car like a hatchback, we have to be in the design trend, because (the small-car market) is not very standalone.

“But with the GT-R, we have a lot of heritage, and performance, and we want to express modern Japanese culture,” he said. In fact, Mr Nakamura underlined that modern Japanese culture was core to the GT-R’s appearance.

“It is not a normal design for a sportscar – it is rather boxy, and has a lot of creases, and it looks very mechanical,” he explained. “These for me is very important.

“Clearly no other car can use this design. So although it is already a six-year-old design theme, we are very confident.”

Mr Nakamura said that he took his time with the GT-R because, as one of only two Japanese production ‘supercars’ to have ever been created for production, history or precedent did not weigh it down.

“We don’t want to take the same approach as European manufacturers,” he said. “In some ways we are more flexible, because we do not have a long history.

“With GT-R, for example, compared to a Porsche or Ferrari, we have an opportunity to do something different.”

As far as creating a supercar model above the GT-R, Mr Nakamura said that the Nissan brand could not reach such heights – yet – but would not be drawn as to whether Nissan’s luxury Infiniti brand could.

“A midship car would be nice... but I don’t think this is (the direction that Nissan) should go.

“Maybe in 10 or 20 years’ time,” he joked.

When Nissan makes a midship they would have it as flagship. When the germs make a midship they cripple it from birth because they respect their traditions too much.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
obiatravelcom
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back