Nissan is a liar! - Porsche

Re: Nissan is a liar! - Porsche

axl;386620 said:
Wow... good rebuttal. :eek:

--------------------------

Your model, while useful is simplistic in that it only considers part of the picture. Power to weight is certainly a good and useful indicator of performance, but you must add in other factors which are very significant:

Rolling resistance, including bearing and tire friction: Nissan has repeatedly stressed that power to the ground is much higher for a GT-R than conventional cars due to the very low friction of the drive-train compared to conventional sports cars. This makes the use of BHP for the GT-R less relevant. Rolling resistance of tires is an unknown for the GT-R, and not likely significant at high speed.

Aero drag and frontal area: GT-R has a much lower drag than typical sports cars at 0.27 and it makes downforce. This means a much higher speed down the straights than a typical car ( in particular those with downforce). Grip is also higher since most cars have lift at high speed and those with any downforce (extremely rare in road cars) will have much higher aero drag. The GT-R has a phenomenal lift to drag ratio for a road car, and this is a very significant factor in it's high speed potential both in terms of top speed and cornering grip. A conventional sports car with the same BHP would not go nearly as fast down the straight, and when you couple this with the higher power to the ground for the stated BHP, you have a significant factor ignored in the BHP/weight ratio.

Shift speed: GT-R shifts much faster than a conventional sports car, and this must be factored in. How many shifts per lap times benefit per shift needs to be added in to the mix.

Center of gravity height: GT-R has gone to significant lengths compared to other cars to lower center of gravity. A lower cg reduces weight transfer and thus provides more grip from each pair of tires on an axle than does a car with a higher cg.

Corner exit speed: this is based on being able to put down the power without spinning the tires. If you can go to full throttle faster than other cars because traction control and car balance allow it, then car will be faster on every corner exit than conventional cars.

Balance in transitions: data logger printouts from Steve Millen's drive on track for R&T mag showed that GT-R was much faster (by a very wide margin) than other cars tested though a series of esses at Buttonwillow. It was also much, much faster through several other sections. If during a series of transitions on track you cannot confidently put the power down, you will need to back off to make certain the car is settled as it changes direction. It would seem the GT-R can do this much better than other cars on a race track. If one looks at the following speed vs distance charts for the Z06, GT-R and 997 turbo, one can see that the cars are very close in many sections, but the GT-R (red curve) is much, much faster in several areas and over a long distances than the other two cars. This can not be explained in any way by a simple BHP/weight ratio comparison.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/assets/download/0508_ct_OnTrack.pdf

The GT-R is so much faster than the other two cars through the esses and it appears to defy physics. Power to weight ratio would only apply to compare part of the lap.

One can see from the deceleration sections that the GT-R does not gain much if any under braking. It's gains are virtually all made while on the gas. It would be interesting to see a comparison of the throttle pedal tracks. I would think the GT-R is at full throttle much more than the other cars on that lap, allowing it to gain significant advantage.

I have done hundreds of lap simulations using Lapsim (and thousands of laps on track), and while power to weight is a primary determinant of lap time, it is only a small part of the picture. Not to take away from your chart and the standard deviation trend-lines, which I found most interesting. Assuming of course the GT-R did those lap times at the Ring which I believe, one needs to look at the car's other dimensions to see why it is a new "yardstick" and why Porsche and others would buy one to dissect and analyze it.

The GT-R is a 3 Sigma event!
one point many people ignore and I forgot also.

The GTR has full active diff front and rear.

The Porsche Turbo ... lol .... has ... umm... haldex viscious coupling as standard.

There is an active differential though, named PTM (porsche traction management) which is GREAT but it is an OPTION.

One wonders whether Nissan and Porsche are talking about different cars. Nissan using the non-PTM one and Porsche using the PTM one.

And both know it but dun wanna say ????

centurion;386852 said:
one point many people ignore and I forgot also.

The GTR has full active diff front and rear.

The Porsche Turbo ... lol .... has ... umm... haldex viscious coupling as standard.

There is an active differential though, named PTM (porsche traction management) which is GREAT but it is an OPTION.

One wonders whether Nissan and Porsche are talking about different cars. Nissan using the non-PTM one and Porsche using the PTM one.

And both know it but dun wanna say ????

From what I recall, Nissan posted the GTR's time against the best time that a 997 Turbo achieved on the ring.

It was not against a time achieved by their driver in a 997 Turbo.

Anyways...Porsche has a bit more to worry about as their CGT ring time is being threatened by the V-spec :)

Nissan GT-R V-Spec lap times stun observers - Autoblog

My take on all this is that it is so easy to "cheat" with the GTR for the consumer :)

If just a tyre change shaves 20+ secs off the lap time, cheapest mod!

The GTR is not a perfect car though as it's weak link is it's transmission. In the US, customers are being told that their busted transmissions are not covered by warranty as they repeatedly used launch control with VDC turned off!!

If I was Porsche, I would highlight this issue and not the lap timing :)

Mockngbrd;386863 said:
still no word from Porsche

sometimes is best to make a statement and leave it as that.
let the consumers judge for themselves.

Heng is Nissan surname aint LEE else Porsche sure kenna whack left-right-centre, top-bottom-front-back. So Porsche can say whatever they like to say.

Let's face it.....did Porsche ever dispute on dancing donkey or mad cow brand cars on the track lap times? Why pick on GTR? Or GTR is not exclusive enough to be on par with the above said brands despite its conquer in almost all departments - performance/handling/material finishing when comparing?

I think it's Ego ...and it's f.......larger than life... so when in this state black color also can become white color liao!

discom;386860 said:
The GTR is not a perfect car though as it's weak link is it's transmission. In the US, customers are being told that their busted transmissions are not covered by warranty as they repeatedly used launch control with VDC turned off!!

If I was Porsche, I would highlight this issue and not the lap timing :)

Is there ANY car manufacturer that will warrant repeated use of launch control with VDC turned off?

earlyapex's model is seriously flawed. You cannot just plot a +/- 1 std deviation and claim the linear regression model is accurate. The fact that R-squared is ONLY 0.73 means nothing because the sample size is too small, and also it neglects a lot of other variables such as weather condition AND driver ability. FWIW my 1000ft to quarter-mile prediction model has an R-squared of 0.99 and I wouldn't even claim that it's perfect.

Crufty Dusty;386957 said:
Is there ANY car manufacturer that will warrant repeated use of launch control with VDC turned off?

Actually I am not sure.

But since the only way to achieve the 0-100 time that NIssan advertised is to use LC with VDC off, I would think that it is ok to use it that way.

Besides, by repeatedly, I don't mean back to back usage. Some of the owners claim that they used it only a few times over a few days.

I don't know what is Nissan's definition of repeatedly. Is it back to back launches or a number of launches within a certain time or just a finite number of launches?

Sometimes enthusiasts are their own worst enemies.

Would they be happier if Nissan removes this little easter egg from the car then? And reinstate the GPS speed limiter for worldwide markets in the name of "political correctness" and to satisfy the greenies?

4.0-4.1 secs 0-60 w/o LC.

I have read about maybe a few cars with these issues and I think
a. at least 2 of them were JDM exported out of Japan before they could get the transmission rework (done in early 2008)
b. one was a "test" car bought by a US magazine and has been driven pretty enthusiastically ;)

I haven't done any LC on mine (think the "automated steps" kinda detract from the fun. Had LC on the Evo Motec ECU but at least I had to do some clutch control ;)) but I do know of at least two other guys who have done at least once and their transmission still seem to be holding up.

Crufty Dusty;386976 said:
Sometimes enthusiasts are their own worst enemies.

Would they be happier if Nissan removes this little easter egg from the car then? And reinstate the GPS speed limiter for worldwide markets in the name of "political correctness" and to satisfy the greenies?

Nope...but I would rather that the buyer be told that they should not use the LC too often...or even better...how often they can use the LC and how much time interval between each use.

The easter egg in this case is if you use LC, you may void your transmission warranty.

Don't get me wrong, I still think that the GTR is a great car, it is just that I don't agree with how they are handling all these failed transmission cases. They should either state upfront the limitations of their transmission or take care of the customers whose transmissions failed because they used LC.

Ok...my bad...it seems that Nissan did spell out that using VDC can void warranty. Wonder why they place it there in the first place?

index.php

GT2: 1
GTR: None (well maybe one too considering it is half the price haha)
but the article hints that Nissan cheated lol.. great.. more independent tests like this need to be run to get a good sample size

oh yah, some of the GTR fanboys in the thread that axl linked to some posts back are amazing. Some of them really are insane. Talking about rolling resistance, CGH and drag in subjective terms only? Downforce equal to X, Y, Z, racecar when Nissan's L and D numbers haven't been plainly stated and none of them gel.

Edmunds quoted unnamed sources that the next model year's GTR will be without launch control. Can't say this was unexpected.

re: ongoing comparison... in Nissan's defense they claimed it was faster than the 997 Turbo and not the GT2.. 2 less driven wheels and more power, it would be expected to come out ahead.

Just some points to note:

The 7:29 time was registered using
a. revised suspension settings (June 2008 production or later cars)
b. stiffer engine mounts (June 2008 or later)
c. Dunlop tyres.

Not sure abt the specs of the customer car being tested except that it was on Bridgestones which should be a few seconds slower than the Dunlops.

And in separate tests, the GT2 bested the GTR timings in two Top Gear tests (UK and Australia) and in both cases, the track was a lot shorter (even if the GTR was speed limited for the Australia test) so extrapolating this to the 'Ring, I'd expect the GT2 to be faster overall.

I recall Centurion quoted Rohl as saying the GT2 'Ring time was done on an open track day (ie not closed off specially for Porsche, unlike the one used by Nissan) and he vowed he won't ever do it again. This could account for the slower time (vs Nissan).

Edit: Link to GT2 time being done on a public day
Porsche 997 GT2 Video - Fifth Gear Review | CarZi
German Porsche test driver Walter Röhrl recently lapped the Nürburgring Nordschleife on a public day in 7 minutes 32 seconds in the new 997 GT2, besting supercars like the Bugatti Veyron and Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren and only slightly trailing the Nissan GT-R.

Crufty Dusty;396594 said:
Edmunds quoted unnamed sources that the next model year's GTR will be without launch control. Can't say this was unexpected.

re: ongoing comparison... in Nissan's defense they claimed it was faster than the 997 Turbo and not the GT2.. 2 less driven wheels and more power, it would be expected to come out ahead.

That is what I heard too and it makes sense as the LC has been abused obviously for people who do not own the car while testing it.

Agree again that GT2 are expected to be ahead, it should be compared with the upcoming Vspec.

Comments have always been made but it definitely possible for the GTR to be faster then the porsche on the ring with better speed through the corners. and the Ring has LOTS of them with every corner it could pull out that little bit of extra time which will not show on short track or even a grade A1 track.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
66vnworld
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back