One issue after another...

Re: One issue after another...

LOL highbury. You misunderstood me. I didn't say turn up the heat while driving. I said set air recirculate to OFF. Everything else is as per normal. Try it!

longhorn;592990 said:
LOL highbury. You misunderstood me. I didn't say turn up the heat while driving. I said set air recirculate to OFF. Everything else is as per normal. Try it!

Ha Ha Longhorn. No worries mate. Actually I did that some time ago before reading your post.

I've tried the burnout heat method and I think it is working for me provided I do it on a hot day. The heat seems to kill the germs and bacteria, thereby reducing/eliminating the bad smell.

That said, I agree with what you said about turning off the recirculate. I think it is good practice to do it from time to time to let in fresh air. Clears up the system.
Just to add that this should be done on a smooth driving road and not in heavy traffic otherwise you will end up breathing in all the fumes.

knighty;592538 said:
Apologies if I couldn't stop ranting my experience with the Performance Motor Workshop competencies when dealing with the E60 525i issues.

It started off when I experienced difficulties in pairing my bluetooth mobile with the car, but eventually I noticed none of the bluetooth mobile could detect the car's bluetooth system. As I was also waiting for the dealer to order the latest BMW GPS DVD navigation disk, I instructed the workshop to check the GPS navigation system as well.

For the first half of the day, the workshop ran the system diagnostic application and found no fault in the system.
Subsequently, the workshop decided to upgrade the car's system software which took a full day to complete.
After the upgrade, the workshop informed me that they still couldn't resolve the fault, and requested to run the system diagnostic application again.
Another half a day later, the workshop found a faulty handsfree control unit and had to wait 2 days for the part to arrive at the workshop. But they have yet found the GPS navigation system fault. Despite that, the workshop planned to undergo another 24-hr software upgrade again after they replaced the handsfree control unit.

To add salt to the insult, the Advisor informed me that they didn't know if the hardware (Bluetooth and GPS Nav systems) were at all installed in the car.

The entire episode was frustrating and I doubt if the system diagnostic application was effective in detecting fault at all. Furthermore, after all the checking, testings and software update, the workshop couldn't tell me if the hardware were present in the car.

This experience with the Performance Motor Workshop leaves a bitter aftertaste and a dented expectation of their competencies.

Another eye rolling moment with PML today.
The Advisor told me that the Navigation System was working perfectly. They had previously inserted the DVD disk into the CD drive and therefore they thought the Navigation System was faulty.

OMG! They can't tell where the DVD GPS Navigation disk should be inserted? Maybe it should really go up their rear...

this one very classic .... :(

They had previously inserted the DVD disk into the CD drive and therefore they thought the Navigation System was faulty.

knighty;593145 said:
Another eye rolling moment with PML today.
The Advisor told me that the Navigation System was working perfectly. They had previously inserted the DVD disk into the CD drive and therefore they thought the Navigation System was faulty.

OMG! They can't tell where the DVD GPS Navigation disk should be inserted? Maybe it should really go up their rear...

Priceless! :nutkick:

Received my car today with full explanation from the Advisor. Full points for honesty, failed in tactfulness.
Anyways, the Bluetooth worked seamlessly with my HTC mobile, and it even uploaded the full address book to the car.
The new software seems to work a lot faster with little latency, and it even featured some new controls to boot.

I'm a happy Beemer now.

highbury;591525 said:
Hi Tiger,

When I first tested and got the car, it smelt ok. After a month or so a bad smell like dirty shoes/socks start to come out when I start the car (with the aircon on). I think it is worse on rainy/cold days.

Looking through this forum, it seems like a common problem for BMWs though I never experienced it before in my previous 3 series or jap cars. I did some reading up and it seems that this foul smell is probably due to bacteria/mould build-up in the aircon vents/coils.

I tried the hot air burnout method recommended by some but it doesn't seem to work. So, I've resorted to spraying Lysol/Dettol disinfectant into the aircon outlets. I just did this a few days ago and the smell is mostly gone. A slight faint smell here and there but this is better. Maybe I should just empty the whole can of Lysol into the vents.

Other than that, I'm not sure what else to do.

Hi, i am not sure if your e60 comes with a aircon filter like my jap car...when i got my car, i bought new 3m mat and install in the car. So it was raining heavily that day and the next morning i on my aircon, the air clowing out smells like vomit plus the rubbery smell. I full blast aircon, switch to hottest air, drive with aircon and full window down to try get rid of the smell but to no avail. Finally i took out my aircon filter and change a new one. Instantly the aircon smelss nice with some charcoal smell...hope it helps. Sorry if e60 doesn not come with any aircon filter.

Terras14;599191 said:
Hi, i am not sure if your e60 comes with a aircon filter like my jap car...when i got my car, i bought new 3m mat and install in the car. So it was raining heavily that day and the next morning i on my aircon, the air clowing out smells like vomit plus the rubbery smell. I full blast aircon, switch to hottest air, drive with aircon and full window down to try get rid of the smell but to no avail. Finally i took out my aircon filter and change a new one. Instantly the aircon smelss nice with some charcoal smell...hope it helps. Sorry if e60 doesn not come with any aircon filter.

Hi, thks for you suggestion.

The car has an aircon filter. So far when I went for servicing at PML and BVO, both said the aircon filter looks clean so I did not change it.

So far there has been some improvement in the air quality. I've used the burnout method a few times and I sent the car for a car air con cleaning at ComfortDelgro. The smell is not there during the journey but when I first start the car there is a very faint smell there for the first 5-10 secs.

Yesterday, I tried something different, I sprayed Dettol into the air vents using the straw as a nozzle, so that it can reach deeper into the air vents. This morning the faint smell at the start doesn't seem there.

If this still doesn't work, then the next step would be to try to change the aircon filter. Not sure how much this costs since I dunno how to buy and DIY.

highbury;599557 said:
Hi, thks for you suggestion.

The car has an aircon filter. So far when I went for servicing at PML and BVO, both said the aircon filter looks clean so I did not change it.

So far there has been some improvement in the air quality. I've used the burnout method a few times and I sent the car for a car air con cleaning at ComfortDelgro. The smell is not there during the journey but when I first start the car there is a very faint smell there for the first 5-10 secs.

Yesterday, I tried something different, I sprayed Dettol into the air vents using the straw as a nozzle, so that it can reach deeper into the air vents. This morning the faint smell at the start doesn't seem there.

If this still doesn't work, then the next step would be to try to change the aircon filter. Not sure how much this costs since I dunno how to buy and DIY.

Surprised that the "professional clean" from ComfortDelgro hasn't quite fixed the problem completely. I'd bring it back & ask for them to address the lingering issues.

Otherwise you can attempt this DIY.
I've done this on my own ride & there's a thread somewhere you can find as reference..

IIRC the steps go something like this.
Pick a nice open area, when it's not raining.
What you need are just a couple of tools + Dettol/Lysol which you already have.
Cool down your car. Pop open your bonnet.
Locate where your environment filter is.
For the E46 it's somewhere just in front of the windscreen.
Unscrew the cover. Remove the filter. Dust out/Sun or replace as needed.

Then Empty out 1/2 - 1x can of Lysol/Dettol into the aircon intake.
Open up all your doors.
Then allow your aircon to run at FULL BLAST.
All vents open. Continuously for about 5-10 minutes.
Some might say 15-20...
(It'll sound like a micro thunderstorm in your car for a while)

The odour went away.
And hasn't come back since.
It's been over 2 years now.

All the best.

hi all,

sorry to ride on this thread, i just collected my e90 06' at 82k mileage. i realise when the car is coming to a complete stop, the car jerks. It sounds like the problem many pple is facing? Is it the same problem "gearbox lurching forward" now i am really worried... hopefully i do not have to change the whole gearbox as mentioned in the eariler post...

niteblu;599566 said:
Surprised that the "professional clean" from ComfortDelgro hasn't quite fixed the problem completely. I'd bring it back & ask for them to address the lingering issues.

Otherwise you can attempt this DIY.
I've done this on my own ride & there's a thread somewhere you can find as reference..

IIRC the steps go something like this.
Pick a nice open area, when it's not raining.
What you need are just a couple of tools + Dettol/Lysol which you already have.
Cool down your car. Pop open your bonnet.
Locate where your environment filter is.
For the E46 it's somewhere just in front of the windscreen.
Unscrew the cover. Remove the filter. Dust out/Sun or replace as needed.

Then Empty out 1/2 - 1x can of Lysol/Dettol into the aircon intake.
Open up all your doors.
Then allow your aircon to run at FULL BLAST.
All vents open. Continuously for about 5-10 minutes.
Some might say 15-20...
(It'll sound like a micro thunderstorm in your car for a while)

The odour went away.
And hasn't come back since.
It's been over 2 years now.

All the best.

Hi Niteblu

Actually, to be fair, most of the smell went away after the cleaning. It is just that I think there is a slight smell just after I start the car in the morning. Very faint and lasts only for a few seconds. The rest of the drive is ok. Dunno if i'm overly sensitive.

Thanks for your tips.
I think I need a special allen key to open the filter box. Any idea where I can get one?
Also, there are some wires and a plug connected to the filter box. Is it safe to just pull the plug out?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi all bros, i intend to get a 07 or 08 523i XL.
Are these batch problematic as well?
THanks

Casa;599591 said:
hi all,

sorry to ride on this thread, i just collected my e90 06' at 82k mileage. i realise when the car is coming to a complete stop, the car jerks. It sounds like the problem many pple is facing? Is it the same problem "gearbox lurching forward" now i am really worried... hopefully i do not have to change the whole gearbox as mentioned in the eariler post...

1st step to resolve this issue is a gearbox reprogram by PML. Normally this should minimise the jerks to a certain extent. Another issue maybe the gearbox itself which will need replacing eventually. At least this is what I have experienced.

Casa;599591 said:
hi all,

I talked about this in another thread. Get PML to reset the EGS/ DME adaptations. I got it done and now my car does not jerk anymore.

Tell us about it after you get it done. :nutkick:

i'm puzzled how re-programing can minimize gearbox jerk to minimal (like 90% good) if it's not due to hardware failure

a. re-program "retard" the gearbox so that the felt is minimal ?

b. re-program "resolve" ecu software bug ? unless this bug is only felt after certain mileage or engine condition over a period of time

c. re-program "reflash" ecu to clear all learnings/parameters similar to reset EGS/DME. just like re-install PC OS due to files corruption

Last edited by a moderator:

wt_know;601351 said:
i'm puzzled how re-programing can minimize gearbox jerk to minimal (like 90% good) if it's not due to hardware failure

a. re-program "retard" the gearbox so that the felt is minimal ?

b. re-program "resolve" ecu software bug ? unless this bug is only felt after certain mileage or engine condition over a period of time

c. re-program "reflash" ecu to clear all learnings/parameters similar to reset EGS/DME. just like re-install PC OS due to files corruption

Ok from my extremely limited knowledge, the Mechatronic or the electronic control unit for the gearbox will determine the shifting of gears, etc. So if the hardware is physically alright, means no problem at all, but the electronic control unit sends a signal to gearbox to change up in aggressive mode, so in aggressive mode will jerk machiam like throwing clutch in a manual tranny.

So reprogram to a fresh progman will instruct gearbox to shift up in gu niang mode, so machiam like slowly release clutch in a manual tranny.

Something along the lines of what I mentioned earlier...I maybe wrong though.....

thanks pple for the good advice.

i was just tokin abt my updates in a thread in the introduction section.
as i just collected my car i got really worried and send to BVO to diagnose the following morning. BVO told me the thingy in the gearbox needs to be changed which cost around 3.5k.

i called my dealer on the spot, he then ask me to send it back to him, he will take care of it.
i sent in last tuesday and my car is still not ready for collection....

he told me the car is with Khang's... im wondering, even replacement for the whole gearbox should not take that long right?

i will update again when i get my car back which i still do not know when...

Casa;601534 said:
thanks pple for the good advice.

i was just tokin abt my updates in a thread in the introduction section.
as i just collected my car i got really worried and send to BVO to diagnose the following morning. BVO told me the thingy in the gearbox needs to be changed which cost around 3.5k.

i called my dealer on the spot, he then ask me to send it back to him, he will take care of it.
i sent in last tuesday and my car is still not ready for collection....

he told me the car is with Khang's... im wondering, even replacement for the whole gearbox should not take that long right?

i will update again when i get my car back which i still do not know when...

Casa,

Good luck to you. Read thru my thread totally and u fell into the same category as me. For me, Khang's Auto took 4 attempts before they finally resolved it. In the process, I've lost the use of my car for a month plus... and the next hing I knew was.. Installment due for the next month.. #!@#@!

Hang in there.. all will be well..

James

thanks guys!

Some updates, just collected my car back from the dealer. Everything seems fine now. Will monitor and hopefully it stays that way!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m88linkorg
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back