recomendation to do BMW audio system

recomendation to do BMW audio system

oneheadlight,

you're absolutely right, no regrets at all with the mod.

the focal tweeters are still doing its job after all these years (>6 yrs now), it reached the highs at ease and sweetly when i played an violin track recently, my home speakers with metal tweeters cannot match. without the A-pillars, i don't think this is possible.

mid-bass from below the seats - pretty muffled i guess. as for subwoofer, i can accept it.

well, i can understand its very difficult to decide - it depends how much you value audio quality in the car :confused: .

oneHeadlight;345508 said:
at the expense of boring people with my repetitive opinions, i think u need to consider these few points.

1. anything installed under the seats is not gonna achieve anything good.
2. 6.5" is a mid-bass. Its different from a subwoofer.
3. The amount of amp power you drive into the midbass is important.
4. The brand AND Model of the speaker you use also plays a big part.

Unfortunately for ICE, if you do not have space, or do not want to sacrific space, you can never experience the full beautiful spectrum of music.

your situation is quite similar to geeknick's some time ago. I am not aware of your hardware but that guy have really good hardware, but not installed correctly cos he was reluctant to cut the door etc etc.

once he decided to do it, and as he mentioned in this thread a couple of pages back, there is no other way he would wanna do it.

the difference is HUGE.

Re: recomendation to do BMW audio system

Thanks mate Oneheadlight, but i don't think i will go to the route of cutting my E90 door panel just for the midwoofer. Few worrying concerns here, I prefer the stock look, speakers might got wet when getting in to car during heavy rain, my kids itch hand will pock the speaker. Too much worries here, so will just keep as it is now. According to the installer, having the 6.5'' underseat can't get a good staging, imaging n defined vocals. So for my case, since i not willing to knife the door panels, he advised me to keep the 4'' for the vocals and use 8''woofer instead of 6.5''woofer under the seat. And he will run the 8'' as subwoofer, and that is the best solution for my case since i don't want a subwoofer occupying my boot space.

Heard one of this setup on a e90 at his place, seems quite good to my ears. What u think?

THanks in adance for any advise to my many questions!

Cheers!

See you have the same problem as me...

I think in summary.

1) If want really good sound, got to cut the door and install a custom A pillar. For good bass, a box sub in the trunk is the way to go. Similarly, bros here with great systems also go for multiple amps running the active speaker set-up and a processor. All this requires space, usually in the trunk, which for most BMWs will take up a sizeable portion of the trunk.
Another frequently mentioned point is that the OEM HU (head unit) is crap and that an aftermarket HU is the best way to go for better signals, and this will change the look of the front fascia.

Cost will of course be commensurate with the quality but what you pay for is what you get. :)

2) For many of us that want the car to remain stock, with no drilling / cutting etc. and who may not have all the space in the car to use for the ICE alone, then the recommendations so far that are consistent are to change the speakers in the front (tweeter and 4") and possibly change the 6.5" to 8" to provide a little more bass within the constraints.

Unfortunately for such a system the cost may not be reflective of quality, but of the difficulty in putting everything together while keeping the car stock. Due to the fact that there are limitations with the OEM HU and the speaker sizes, it limits the extent to which other components (eg. amps, processor) can compensate, no matter how good they are.

It really becomes a question of how much $$ to spend, whether to keep the car stock, and what kind of sound you want. I've sat in both systems, and if you want something that is way way better than the OEM systems (logic 7 included), then anything reasonable that you do will give much better sound. Obviously if you want to move up the ladder and have reference sound quality, then lots of cutting is required.

However, bear in mind that the car environment is inherently handicapped because of the seating position, odd shape, odd materials, and small space for the components.

I spent about $8,000 for a home 2-channel sound system set-up and it is a fantastic system. Was told to forget about comparing that quality with ICE and definately not with the same money.

For as long as you are unwilling to mod the door, there's pretty much nothing you can do. One particular myth needs to be put to sleep though, which is speakers getting wet when it pours. Go to the right installer, and you wouldnt have this issue.

as for kids poking the speakers, speaker grilles are there for a purpose.

i am dead against having the 4" and 8" under the seat.
you will notice the gaps for sure.

putting myself in your shoes, i would rather not do anything if i am not willing to do abit of modding. Strangely enough, if i were to sell my car, i would pitch convenience for ICE as a premium, rather than discount for having mod the car. A big IF though.

You're right w.r.t. the quality of sound. I think different bros have different needs.

I'm not the expert on this, but unfortunately in Singapore, IMHO many people out there do not care about ICE and want a stock car. They see that the car has been "zeng", they do not want to buy. This is similar to cars which have body kits, engine tuning, exhaust, suspension.
May be because of fear that the car has been ripped apart or driven to bits and will not function anyone? I know many bros who are concerned that all the additions only give reason to PML to void the warranty on those parts.

Many enthusiasts think that the car will be worth more but from what I know, there will be less buyers (only those similar enthusiasts) or you have to make a loss compared to the price you pay initially for the additions.

You're correct to point out some time back that maybe we shouldn't be so concerned about resale since we spend so much on the car anyway. I agree on that, just like I think that the pursuit of perfection (to borrow from Lexus) is a never ending road. If spend $20-30k on ICE, why not upgrade from the 320 to 323, or 523 to 525? Or add aero-kit, or rims, or turbo.

If I had the money, I will surely buy a Ferrari or Aston Martin convertible and add a rocking ICE system.
Until then I'll look at improving the !@$% OEM ICE on my car for simple daily pleasures.

Finally made up my mind to hack my 1mth old 523 to install my ICE.
Hard to persuade my FM though... hahaha... she say i'm :screwedu:
Waiting anxiously for the project to be complete in 2weeks. :juggle:
After that 1 month run in / tuning then it's :cloud9:

:yummie: :yummie: :yummie:

hack ! haha...

whats the worst that can happen ...just go buy a couple of new door panels and A pillars, and its back to stock !!

Getting my ride in the coming week, and have been going around shops asking for suggestions to do up the ICE. Ground info, i'm getting the new convertible so boot space is minimal..

Suggestion 1:

Audison LRx5.1k Amp
Alpine h650 processor
Hertz MLK165 Speakers
Morel Elate 9 Subs

Suggestion 2:
Tru Technology S44 Amp x 2 (I still can't figure out here why 2 4-channel amps are suggested)
Alpine h701 processor
DLS Speakers
Subs (Not too sure about brand)

Now the first option would need to 'hack' or 'drill' into the new car which is quite painful, and the second option would basically be all utilising the existing slots which would render it to have the OEM feel, except for the boot where the amps are placed.

Sound wise, any feedback or reviews to share with me? I'm almost a noob when it comes to ICE, bear in my mind my prev ride was only fitted with an audison srx5.1 amp, a sub, boston components, and a pioneer HU. I am basically looking for more clarity (albeit not sharp), warmth, body and 'oomph' in the sound.

i like certain DLS speakers, and selected amp models.
i like certain morel speakers, Elate definitely high up the list.
Morel makes (or used to make) speakers for DLS. Pretty much the OEM.

the thing about morel and DLS speakers, especially the tweets... better than good clarity, "warm"... their mids are abit coloured imo, midbass certainly lacking.

i wouldnt use either brand's sub though.

there are other considerations... do u want brand integrity ? meaning all of the same brand , or u are fine with mishmash.

the details u have provided are not full... so its hard to say which i would prefer.
BUT if i am forced to, i would probably pick the hardware (2).
that said, again...installation plays a part.

u also need to think about your driving patterns, how often u drive with the top down etc.

the possible reasons the installer recommend 2 pieces of 4 channel, without knowing whether u are running 2 way or 3 way....

1. he wants to make more money
2. bridge both into 2 channels for more power

If $ no object, go try the JL audio super thin subwoofer i mentioned in this link :)
sort of a guinea pig, but JL audio makes some of the best stuff around.
and u could become a hero for convertible/coupe owners !

e33extra;346569 said:
Getting my ride in the coming week, and have been going around shops asking for suggestions to do up the ICE. Ground info, i'm getting the new convertible so boot space is minimal..

Suggestion 1:

Audison LRx5.1k Amp
Alpine h650 processor
Hertz MLK165 Speakers
Morel Elate 9 Subs

Suggestion 2:
Tru Technology S44 Amp x 2 (I still can't figure out here why 2 4-channel amps are suggested)
Alpine h701 processor
DLS Speakers
Subs (Not too sure about brand)
QUOTE]

Hi hi, you have the same problem as me!

I see that you're going active... may I ask how much you're being quoted for the 2 systems? I have checked on your components and they've got good reviews but pricey.

If you don't like to post the price in the open, can PM me? Thanks.... we can compare notes.

To DRV: Check your PM! We should get a GB for this going man :nehnehhh:

To Oneheadlight:

Interesting thing you brought up about brand integrity. I am indeed leaning towards having parts that were developed for use together, meaning if they are of the same brand, it should have been researched and developed for optimal configuration. However, I have also heard some setups that used a mix-mash of brands which sounded great. Given that a mix-mash may consist of the better or even higher-end products from each range, that could be possible though. Now, this JL sub sure sounds very tempting..

I would also say that i may have at least 40% of the time driving with the top down, so it's going to be a challenge, or shall I say it would be futile for serious ICE-ing since having the top down is like basically ruining the whole soundstage etc etc..

Options options tsk tsk! I need to hear more setups & opinions!

i think, at the risk of offending some owners (as usual), that having the same brand is not critical unless you are vain or going for competition. If its something that bothers you alot, i suppose you can keep speakers to one brand and amps also one brand.

there are plenty of DLS setups because of a reputable installer, there are alot of Focal setups also becos of another reputable installer.

i personally go for mishmash, choosing the best value i can afford, which is not alot.

as for whether its futile to have ice with your top down... probably is.
i think Kenntona drives or drove a convertible with more than decent ice in his ride..
u can exchange notes with him.

Hi all,
just wanted to share with u my sound system upgrade on my e90.

1- hertz 165 speaker
2- abyss 4 channel amp (suppose to be same ppl who makes tru tech amps)
3- audison hi to low
4- van der hul RCA
5- wire world speaker wires
6- basic dynamat soundproof
7- rear speaker original but fader 90% to front

2 channel used to run the passive 2 way speakers n 2 channel used to drive the sub unit under the seat.
sound is much better than stock with a higher staging.
i'm getting some buzzing sound due to different in signal from original headunit. been recommended to try using a processor such as JL cleansweep DC6 i hope i got it right. any other suggestions to get rid of the buzzing sound?
all orignal function working fine. no complains

i've never used this JL cleansweep before so cant comment, but i think its been mentioned in this forum b4. u may wanna page richlee for this, he is the resident expert of buzzing.

the thing i fail to see is how adding a hardware is seen as the right way to eliminate the problem. i can only assume it works by eliminating or correcting certain frequencies. i'd rather the installer do the troubleshooting, but not many are that "on". So installing something else is probably the quick way out.

your audison high low convertor.... is it adjustable ? if it is, try lowering down the signal strength to lower v.

Hi all,

Im getting my e90 next week.. and im going to upgrade the stereo once i got it.

I went over to chuan sing recently.. and this is the setup that they recommended.

need some advise on this recommendations as im a newbie in this area.

Alphine 701 processor ~ ard $1.2k
Steg K401 amp ~ ard $1.3k
Rockford T400
Rockford P2D212 ~ both items ard $980
Focal front spkr w tweeter K2 ~ ard $980

For the Steg amp and the Rockford woofer package can change accordingly towards my budget.

Lower end Steg Amp (forgotten the model but i think the 75 watt model) ~ $800
Efx Woofer package HD1400 & HDW1204 ~ $599

Cables and other things that is required for the installation is already in the package.

I have not much experience into this area therefore could anyone help or advise me on this recommendation. the higher spec recommendations is ard $4.5k in total and the lower specs is ard $3.5k..is this pricing normal or overpriced?

Is there any other replacement or recommendations that still able to deliver quality yet damages not so high..budget around $3k

thanks in advance.

Just had my car installed at SoundWerkz

Swee swee workmanship... no cutting, all stock.
The rear they customize a fiberglass board for the amps to fit into one of the panels at the back of the boot area. No screwing needed as well as the fiberglass board uses the same original clips that were holding the panel.
Now the sound rocks... my wife thinks it's like MOS.

Best is that my friend sat in my car and say whoa, didn't know BMW had stock sound system like that, better than Merc or Audi. I told him to go to PML to order the new 335 and tell the SE to spec extreme sound system. HAHAHA

Only thing is that the 8" subs under the seats like what OneHeadLight has said does not reach the lowest lows. Something I can live with...

DRV;354649 said:
Just had my car installed at SoundWerkz

Swee swee workmanship... no cutting, all stock.
The rear they customize a fiberglass board for the amps to fit into one of the panels at the back of the boot area. No screwing needed as well as the fiberglass board uses the same original clips that were holding the panel.
Now the sound rocks... my wife thinks it's like MOS.

Best is that my friend sat in my car and say whoa, didn't know BMW had stock sound system like that, better than Merc or Audi. I told him to go to PML to order the new 335 and tell the SE to spec extreme sound system. HAHAHA

Only thing is that the 8" subs under the seats like what OneHeadLight has said does not reach the lowest lows. Something I can live with...

Hi,

keen in doing up my E90, can you pm the setup and costs for your system. thanks

Just a FR on the $3000 basic upgrade package recommended by Soundwerkz. Installed on Last Sat. Whole day. Very neat wirings and good installation workmanship. Big improvement from the stock BMW system. Recommended for those looking for simple basic upgrade 8)

Great! Welcome to the club...

Hahaha, like oneheadlight said, it's poison man...

But anything is better than the BMW stock system.

Did you change the underseat subs?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ok9tools
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back