RIMS for E90 320i

E90koh

Dudes, may I know how to select rims for either 18 or 19 inches? I do not know what are spacers and staggered etc. Probably you could tell me exactly what I should look out for. Many tks.

Re: RIMS for E90 320i

1. How to select rims?
Woweee.. this is a very general question. I suppose you can start surfing the net (bmw-sg and e90post) to see what rims other people have fitted onto their E90. Or go to tyre shop to look see and chat with them.

2. Spacers. Just google "wheel spacers" and you will see what these are. You will notice that some ppl say fitting spacers are a no-no. And some ppl have used spacers without problems.

3. Staggered means rear wheels are wider than front. If you want to do front wheels wider than rear, then you could possibly be the first E90 in the world..muahahahaha..

4. what to look out for? I guess first thing you need to know is what is your budget?

Good luck!!

Last edited by a moderator:

are there any bmws with hyper dark or gun metal colour rims?? curious to see if these colours matches a bmw ride. haha

Just my 2 cents

1) Its like tailor clothes, end of the day u choose the design u like. Anything else depends more on budget.

2) For every design u like, chances are you can find very similar designs both on the high end range and the mid/low end range. There are replica rims that look very similar to the popular designs of the higher end rims thus making them affordable. But of course, sometimes these replicas may pale in terms of durability, strength, weight and of course, branding. Think of an ipad and a china replica. there are also affordable brands offering very good rims such as the breyton (personal favourite) and VMR (which i am using now). End of the day, it is really about the money lar. :)

3) The bigger the rims, the more stylo milo but the more uncomfortable, I feel. Also the more expensive for the rims and tyres.

4) Spacers are just metal plates used to "push" the wheel outward from the normal fitment position. This is often done to correct offset issues or for a better look. Think of offset as a specification for size. Just like clothes got sizes, wheel arches and position have certain allowances as well. Understanding offset is just so u can be certain the rim can fit into your car. Normally can check with rim shops.

5) Staggered rims will look nicer but some people cannot appreciate. Generally its done (i think, stand to be corrected) so that your rims are "flush" with the body of the car. Otherwise the rims (the rear rims) will look like it is "hidden" in the body of the car affecting the look. Some people use normal wheels but add spacers at the rear to "push" the wheels outward for the "flush" look. Take a look at your stock setup to see what i mean. Look from the side and you will see that the front wheel is flush to the body, but the rear wheel is "hidden" inside the car body.

I stand and hope to be corrected with technical terms so i can learn. Noob here too!

Oh ya, rims often come in different sizes and colors for the same design as well. Can always go ask ask and test fit. Never know what u might find.

hope you dont mind me asking this. will changing rims affect pml warranty? i know it shouldnt but will there be any cases where they refuse warranty claims? anyone knows?
i hope im posting this in the correct thread! because im looking for rims for the 320i as well!

zofz;561054 said:
hope you dont mind me asking this. will changing rims affect pml warranty? i know it shouldnt but will there be any cases where they refuse warranty claims? anyone knows?
i hope im posting this in the correct thread! because im looking for rims for the 320i as well!

Generally pml will always threaten to void all warranty for any parts that is not original. But the truth is they can only do so if they can prove your mod affected the portion you are claiming for. most of the time you can argue using logics. Of course you can't argue for warranty for the rims, but it's senseless to void your engine warranty based on rim mods rite?

Shaun Lau;561063 said:
Generally pml will always threaten to void all warranty for any parts that is not original. But the truth is they can only do so if they can prove your mod affected the portion you are claiming for. most of the time you can argue using logics. Of course you can't argue for warranty for the rims, but it's senseless to void your engine warranty based on rim mods rite?
+1. nothing void so long ur rims are not the cause of the damage.

go PML and u can see how many cars not on OEM wheels.

once your shoe size goes up...u will find eh..stock suspension y so soft...stock brake y so sissy.. :chinese:

For e90, what tyre sizes to use for:
A. 18"
B. 19"

Is this a dumb question? If I tell tyre shop I have example 19" rims, will they naturally know what tyre sizes to fit? Paiseh here better than paiseh in front of tyre ah pek. :chinese:

these are the common settings

18" - 8J front, 8.5J rear = 225/40/18 & 255/35/18 (oem setup)
18" - 8.5J front, 9.5J rear = 235/40/18 & 265/35/18 (aftermarket setup, also can use 225/255 tyres with a little stretch)

19" - 8J front, 9J rear = 225/35/19 & 255/30/19 (oem setup)
19" - 8.5J front, 9.5J rear = 235/35/19 & 265/30/19 (aftermarket setup)

sometime also depend on the brand/model of the tyre has the available sizes

Shaun Lau;559305 said:
4) Spacers are just metal plates used to "push" the wheel outward from the normal fitment position. This is often done to correct offset issues or for a better look. Think of offset as a specification for size. Just like clothes got sizes, wheel arches and position have certain allowances as well. Understanding offset is just so u can be certain the rim can fit into your car. Normally can check with rim shops.

You made my mind ticked! Think of spacer like push up bra! :p It perks!

Tks mate!
Is offset/spacers something additional we can buy from tyre shop or it has to be determined prior selecting rims?

If it can be purchased, how much would it cost for a complete set for 4 rims?

What is the most ideal offset to fit so as not to rub against the wheel arch front and back (whatever it is called) for 18" and 19" rims?

I plan to get 19" rims but seemed like ride comfort is compromised. So 18" is better? What kind of weight per rim is ideal and what to avoid?

Tks again! :)

E90koh;574585 said:
Tks mate!
Is offset/spacers something additional we can buy from tyre shop or it has to be determined prior selecting rims?

if rim offset is right, no need spacer. try to avoid spacer at all times

If it can be purchased, how much would it cost for a complete set for 4 rims?
i presume a pair (front/back) 10mm/15mm spacer would cost between $150-$400 depends on brand and thickness.

What is the most ideal offset to fit so as not to rub against the wheel arch front and back (whatever it is called) for 18" and 19" rims?

if front is 8.5J ... +30 (aggresive) +35 (least aggresive) and > +35 not nice
if rear is 9.5J ... +30 (aggresive) +35 (least aggresive) and > +35 not nice

I plan to get 19" rims but seemed like ride comfort is compromised. So 18" is better? What kind of weight per rim is ideal and what to avoid?

Tks again! :)

18" = performance (lighter) and comfort (40/35 profile)
19" = look (damn swee) and noisier + less comfort (35/30 profile)

18" - < 9kg is light
19" - 9kg to 10kg is light

light means expensive.
non expensive rim for 18" normally weigh 11kg+ and 19" weigh 12/13kg
last check with LS Breyton GTS 19" = 480 x 4 = $1,920 and each rim weigh 12kg+

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member