Should S'pore have bicycle lanes?

• YES

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Re: Should S'pore have bicycle lanes?

Mockngbrd;877773 said:
why dun u f off too. i also unbiased here u know. come see how many riders ride along the road happy happy turn into pedestrian and zip across zebra crossings without any regard for anything

u know full well these arent the guys in discussion here. as above. throw these guys off the road. they r a bigger hazards to pedestrians on pavements. there r some of us who do ride n follow rules.

but ur remark is sweeping whivh isnt fair.

Last edited by a moderator:

Why can't motorist share the same pc of road with cyclist/motorcyclist?

Juz go to Penang island (which is about the same size as Singapore hor). There is no problem cycling on the road. There is no problem even on super narrow stretch (from Tanjong Bungah to Teluk Bahang).

totoseow;877776 said:
but ur remark is sweeping whivh isnt fair.
i give option:
OR if on the road, have a clear seperation marking or at least some sort of obstacle to prevent users from crossing onto the main roads

zebra-bicycle-path-devider.jpg

whilst i agree that road separation might be a good idea but how many roads in Singapore can you actually implement it on?

davidtch;877781 said:

Juz go to Penang island (which is about the same size as Singapore hor). There is no problem cycling on the road. There is no problem even on super narrow stretch (from Tanjong Bungah to Teluk Bahang).
I share with cyclist leh as I always avoid them... I do not give them 1.5m but more as I actually move to lane on e right unless its single lane. I m not really trying to be nice, I m protecting my ride's body and paint work... applies to motorcyclist too :shakemyb: Cannot help much when motorcylist zig-zag towards/pass me... I just try my best to protect my ride's body and paint work :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:

davidtch;877781 said:

the answer is very simple. singaporeans r just mostly too self centered. we dun hv patience cos everyone was brot up to b kiasu. how many of us overtake one car to be at the first at the lights? u hv seen above. u pay road tax, hence u hv more right some say.

i say the way fwd is to educate n change mindset. n that will solve a lot of problems in our country....not only sharing roads with cyclists....but we wun see it in our generation. we r a unique product.....

I think Spore too small to have cyclist lanes..already v crammed...I can only say cycle at your own risk ..whatever rules and regulations there are..1.5 metre distance whatsoever, your safety is your own...and no one else...Its true that motorists should be made more aware of cyclists and vice versa...but those lobbying for bicycle lanes...suck it...Spore roads really too small...thats life...

Mockngbrd;877786 said:
i give option:

frankly as much as cyclists want a seperate lane...its not feasible in our small country. n i can tell u...serious recreational cyclists do not care 2 hoots about ah tiong cyclists. if these guys get on the road...into that small bike lane. seow leow.

we dun hv that luxury of space. awareness n perhaps serious police enforcement for both types plus education n tolerance is the way fwd.

totoseow;877797 said:
frankly as much as cyclists want a seperate lane...its not feasible in our small country. n i can tell u...serious recreational cyclists do not care 2 hoots about ah tiong cyclists. if these guys get on the road...into that small bike lane. seow leow.

we dun hv that luxury of space. awareness n perhaps serious police enforcement for both types plus education n tolerance is the way fwd.
This is the approach I like best... but but but LTA is more interested in catching tinted windows, big exhaust, lightings, etc.

Education and tolerance from everyone will play a very impt part. However, like toto says, it won't happen in our generation.

ac323;877728 said:
when COE hit S$200k maybe we might need bicycle lane.................................................
By that time am sure there will be bicycle COE

And we are supposed to be a 1st world country, based on all the 'gracious' remarks posted here?

What have the cyclists done to deserve this kind of treatment from car drivers? They might have caused some accidents, but who's at the losing end? Is the driver likely to lose his life?

I don't think having a bicycle lane is going to solve the problem, nor is it practical, given the infrastructure that's already in existence.

We just have to be a little bit more tolerant. Read somewhere that in the Scandinavian countries, they have more cyclists per capita that we do. Yet the cyclist mortality rate is much lower. Why? Perhaps they are really a 1st world country where people have 1st world values - more tolerant, more considerate, more understanding, and definitely more polite.

And for every one of you who think cyclists are only people dressed in funny, tight clothes riding expensive bikes, open your eyes and look around. They also include people who cannot afford to buy the expensive cars you drive, whose $90 piece of junk provides a more economical form of transport that buses and trains, whose alternative form of transport is walking.

So the next time you see a cyclist on the road, think whether the few seconds you save when you slow down and give way is worth the cyclist's life if you do not. At most, you get at dent on your car, but the cyclist suffers serious injuries at the least, and pays with his/her life at the most.

Live and let live... Peace out.

Should not ride on the main road as is really too dangerous as too many bus and lorry and those reckless drivers..

Mockngbrd;877786 said:
i give option:

Look at the Penang example. This is the only feasible option, bicycle lane within existing lane.

For those who advocated bicycle lanes, how do you propose these lanes be structured? Whole Singapore?

It will be a logistic nightmare and a waste of resources if some of these lanes are under-utilised, especially given the limited roadspace after minusing bus lanes amidst the heavy traffic.....

If not all roads are to be "wired" with bicycle lanes, who decides?

I dont think the question posed should be whether we should have cycle lanes, rather can we and if its even all that feasible. Like most would agree...Of cos we should have cycle lanes but the sad truth is the roads are already freaking small...combined with the current high car population..it will be a disaster...I dont think we are a backward looking, impatient or uneducated bunch...rather Singaporeans tend to take a more pragmatic approach to issues...and clearly bicycle lanes are a no no in a land scarce country like ours...

Just please do wear something illuminated / with signals when you cycle at night, it's damn hard to see you know, especially when the lightning isn't bright :eek:

There are bicycle lanes on the pavements, speaking about which, never have I seen someone cycling on the road during peak hours....

Just think of trying to balance between the bus lanes and the cyclists lanes on Upper Thomson Road.....

BUSES VERSUS CYCLISTS..... leftest lane cyclists or bus lane? Does not look like it is even possible at all .....

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
debet39com

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back