Siblings knocked down by cement mixer lorry at Tampines......

Re: Siblings knocked down by cement mixer lorry at Tampines......

Oilman;950835 said:
Cyclists cyclists... how about the truck drivers? They must be made to slow down. They're spilling rubbish all over the ECP and going too fast in residential neighbourhoods.

Enforcement is one thing, i.e. catching these bad drivers or cyclists. It requires 3rd party involvement.

Putting yourself out of the situation, i.e. not cycling on the road is different. You just have to be aware of what you stand to gain/lose when you put your bicycle on the road.

Remember, you cannot control what others do but you can control what YOU, yourself, should do. So the first step starts with yourself -- by not putting yourself in danger.

The Guardian;950839 said:
RIP boys. It really hurt to see this as a parent.
I'm going to stop cycling on the road with my 2 girls with immediate effect.
We used to cycle every weekend to the nearest petrol kiosk to buy papers and other stuff.
And I have always insisted that they keep to the left at all times and stop at stop signs.
I guess even with this approach, I cannot stop freak accidents from happening especially when you are down in luck to meet cock drivers. I just cannot afford to pay the price.

Bro, just take the pavements.

Mockngbrd;950828 said:
farked up...... sibeh sad to see :(

P1-Jan29-Tuesday222.jpg

That really sucks, I cannot imagine how painful it is for the parents.

better than a 5000kg cement mixer going at 10km/h.
i never heard people died from being knocked down by bicycle.

epong;950868 said:
If parks are safe then it's a good suggestion. However there is the false sense of security especially at the bigger parks eg EC. I once saw a crashing peloton of bikes cos a young boy very unknowingly ventured into a bike path in the opposite direction. The first rider Siam, the second jam braked but the following riders just crashed into the second.

Imagine the 10kg bike with a 80kg rider going full on into a 6/7 year old kid. Then forummers would recommend "riders pls go Fitness First to ride. Some more can listen to music".

Darth Vader;950898 said:

Actually in the history of SG, got one case. I think somebody bang and old woman and she died, that was when it all started -- bicycles are not allowed on pavements.

There are plenty of good cyclists around..those who really observe rules and even give apologetic or appreciative waves when they need to change lanes or turn or cut into your path, but the fact remains that probably 80% of the cyclists we encounter everyday couldn't care less about rules and ride like they own the roads AND pavements.

***I never say PRCs and ah peks and kids

Darth Vader;950898 said:

Maybe it's coz they didn't live to tell the tale.

And perhaps law doesn't mandate reporting if it's non road.

You know, after all these years of people complaining abt speeding trucks and lorries and also road hogging by them..which is getting worse, you would think TP or LTA will step up enforcement actions but every morning during rush hour when road hogging, F1 style driving and speeding by trucks and lorries are at its WORST, I dun see any around..and where are they early in the morning?

Here...

View attachment 46716

Last edited by a moderator:

i hope lta bike ride over slippery soapy carwash area and fall down... consperm nobody will help him...

Darth Vader;950864 said:
you are playing with fate.
if you want to cycle,car ferry your bicycles to neighbourhood parks to cycle.
why cycle in public open roads ?

Yes, you may be right. Of course, I wouldn't want to play with fate at the expense of my kids.
We always cycle at around 7.30 am where many are still asleep.
But that doesn't mean there are no drunkens who is also on the way back after 1 night of fun.
For me, I cycle in the night but now, I think I will just go swimming instead.

The Guardian;950995 said:
Yes, you may be right. Of course, I wouldn't want to play with fate at the expense of my kids.
We always cycle at around 7.30 am where many are still asleep.
But that doesn't mean there are no drunkens who is also on the way back after 1 night of fun.
For me, I cycle in the night but now, I think I will just go swimming instead.
I think i have been playing with fate for the longest time.

It depends on the route you select. For morning ride, i have not encounter any heavy vehicles early in the morning. Maybe some noise making ferrari & pagani along Mandai Rd.

For nite ride, it would definitely be the taxi despite quiet road.

For good workout, riding in Sg is definitely not effective. Too many traffic lights. Better stick to swimming.

davidtch;950727 said:
I m a cyclist & commute to work daily. My daily commuting speed is no lower than 25km/h. I agree on the pt you made.

It will not work as the recreational cycling community has grow exponentially. In fact, cycling is the new golf. Pavement do not have the capability to cope with the volume of cyclist on the road. In addition, pavement is not suitable for speed above 15km/h. On a run of the mill racing bike, 30km/h is a normal speed.

The current problem is lack of education on road user etiquette. Juz look at the example of cited by Puffer. Whose fault is that? Parents or kids?

davidtch.. pls read the note at th end..most cyclist dont do ur spd anyway..and of course with rd bikes we know its dumb to be on pavements.

epong;950803 said:
I am mindful of this thread heading towards the "cyclists versus motorcyclists" route so I shan't defend why it is ok. I am all for punishing cyclists who flout the rules (no helmet, lights, beat red lights). As much as LTA is hunting down tinted cars, TP should caution riders who disregard the rules.

The road is for all to share. Even this morning I saw a M5 (SD*70*) driving rather recklessly down Dunearn Road, intentionally beating a red light and horning motorists. To me, he doesn't belong on the road just like "those cyclists".

i agree with u tt reckless drivers dont belong to be on the rd. same like those who drives on 2 lanes instead of sticking to their own.and those driving slow but hogs lane 3.

its not cyclist vs motorist. i find tt its about thinking for cyclist themselves.alot of them do not know the rules of the rd yet they are being allowed on the rd.it seriously doesnt make any sense.

pavements will surely be a better option for most cyclist.for myself, i used to ride around on my bicycle alot but on pavements.now even when i ride. i dont care, i still ride on pavement.i dont wana cos jam for cars and i know im safer there.

Most bicycles on the road are like those makcik aunty "piyo piyo" with the basket in front that goes "ring a ling!"
That's why these are not suited on the road, :(

I used to commute to the market with those last time shhhhhhh :p

epong;950868 said:
If parks are safe then it's a good suggestion. However there is the false sense of security especially at the bigger parks eg EC. I once saw a crashing peloton of bikes cos a young boy very unknowingly ventured into a bike path in the opposite direction. The first rider Siam, the second jam braked but the following riders just crashed into the second.

Imagine the 10kg bike with a 80kg rider going full on into a 6/7 year old kid. Then forummers would recommend "riders pls go Fitness First to ride. Some more can listen to music".

at least they will have more chance of living? its still better den a truck hitting imo.

speedyj;951054 said:
at least they will have more chance of living? its still better den a truck hitting imo.

im guessing what hes trying to say is that it is the danger that is possible even when riding in parks, not comparing to truck hit people

walking on the street is also dangerous, can fall into long kang and die. sit at home also dangerous, starve to death. balance your risks. if you decide to take the risk, then all I can say is so be it, good luck. such is life.

Riding a fast rd bike at high speed on a pavement is a dangerous act and a hazard to pedestrian!

Last edited by a moderator:

zorro;951072 said:
Riding a fast rd bike at high speed on a pavement is a dangerous act and a harzard to pedestrian!

Like I said, choice is there. Ride fast and go on road, or slow down and get on pavement. Rider's choice mah. If on road kena langah and die, don't say detach8 never warn you. ANyway with people on pavement and uneven pathway I doubt cyclists can go very fast either.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
77betink

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back