Siblings knocked down by cement mixer lorry at Tampines......

Re: Siblings knocked down by cement mixer lorry at Tampines......

Sprawler;950699 said:
just heard from one of my neighbours. the boys lived just a few blocks away from me

Oh dear.... Sob.... :( :( :(

Sprawler, please let me know if any of the bros here plan to go down or contribute anything.... I would like to do anything I can to help too.... :(

detach8;950713 said:
Well before any cyclists come in and say I have my selfish agenda, let me say this -- I cycled to school when I was young, and I still cycle (as a hobby). So I am not just a driver of a big ass selfish arrogant BMW.

So let me explain myself. My rationale is like this:

Motorbikes, cars, lorries, trucks, buses, etc. all require a license to drive. This sets a prerequisite to have basic knowledge of road rules before using a sophisticated traffic system -- traffic lights, junctions, right of way, blind spots, etc. On top of that, these vehicles are capable of traveling at speed to keep up with traffic flow. Keeping up with traffic flow is an aspect of safety that one should not ignore -- if a car traveling at 70kph hits a car traveling at 60kph, the impact is caused by a 10kph difference in speed. If a car at 50kph hits a cyclist at 5kph, the 45kph impact is likely fatal.

Bicycles or any other unlicensed or human powered vehicle for that matter, including Segways, skateboards, electric bicycles, etc. should all be kept off the road for the very reason because they are unregulated and do not require mandatory knowledge of traffic rules. On top of that they are unable to keep up with road speeds unless in severe traffic jams.

That said, if and when a human powered vehicle is involved in an accident with a pedestrian the chances of fatality are also lower. This is also a very important consideration and gives another merit point to my reasoning for allowing bicycles on pavements.

Note: I said to ALLOW bicycles on pavements. I did not say to BAN bicycles from the roads, but because they are banned FROM pavements, then it gives them a reason to go ON the road. Now, if bicycles were ALLOWED on the pavements (like in the good old days when nobody cared) then I am sure a lot of bicycles would go on the pavements instead.
I m a cyclist & commute to work daily. My daily commuting speed is no lower than 25km/h. I agree on the pt you made.

It will not work as the recreational cycling community has grow exponentially. In fact, cycling is the new golf. Pavement do not have the capability to cope with the volume of cyclist on the road. In addition, pavement is not suitable for speed above 15km/h. On a run of the mill racing bike, 30km/h is a normal speed.

The current problem is lack of education on road user etiquette. Juz look at the example of cited by Puffer. Whose fault is that? Parents or kids?

im not sure if there are any plans for any visit or contributions. But if anyone really wants to contribute, just pm me. i can try to contact the neighbour to find out more details

Dearest Sprawler,

:inlove:
I really didn't want to post this message here, but after the recent PM exchanges which you mentioned you don't seem to be getting PM responses from the rest and thereafter asking for my name, I was trying to send you my vCard when I realized what the problem could have been.

Your mailbox is FULL.

epong;950709 said:
The root of the problem is not the cycling (though in this case it might or might not). Road users have to be educated on road safety and manners. Motorcyclists and cyclists are similar but for the motorized components. Does that mean motorbikes should stay off the road. I am all for penalizing cyclists that don't obey the rules or not bothered about having the basic safety essentials but lets not punish riders who respect the road.

Cycling on pavement is not necessarily safer cos its bikes against pedestrians now. You can possibly argue on the degree of "damage" but humans alike are going to get hurt. As a motoring community, lets push for road respect and safety awareness rather than taking the easy/lazy way out by eliminating the road cyclists.

pls la..cyclists dont below to the rd in singapore.u telling me cyclists go thur BTT?? how will they obey the rule if they dont know them in the first place??

of course. its better they hit a pedestrian.how bad can the damage be?how likely on losing lifes??

Sigh, first the female biker incident along PIE and now this all within such a short span of time.

I wonder what's becoming of our roads.... :verysad:

Very very sad accident.

Regarding the never ending arguments between drivers and cyclists on traffic rules and giving way and graciousness, etc, I think no one side is right or wrong. However both sides need to recognize one thing: our island has changed. And we need to adapt to survive instead of arguing till the cow comes home.

I starting cycling on the road when I was very young. And daily to school too.

But today I won't do it. Why? Because the road condition today is totally different from 10 or 20 years ago. The lanes have the same width but vehicles have become wider. There are more heavy vehicles on the road, and they are everywhere. Cars are much faster today too. Space is scarce on the road now, allowing only a very low margin of error before an accident happens. My life is precious, and as a cyclist I will stand no chance against a car or lorry or bus, who are already fighting tooth and nail for every inch on the road.

So I will still cycle but maybe at other places. Not on the road fighting the same piece of land with the voluminous fast moving impatient vehicles. Because at the end of the day, it doesn't matter who's right or who's wrong. But who lives to tell the tale.

Edit:No offence to bro davidtch who is a sart sart safe cyclist.

Last edited by a moderator:

first I agree with the point that " why take pictures of dead bodies". Just because you have a camera, doesn't mean you need to take those pictures and share. And what is the intention of sharing those anyway? =(

Second, there are things that we don't do to keep ourselves safe which is common sense. Sometimes mothers/fathers nag but for a reason like:

1) I am not allowed to ride motorbike not because of anything but because my father as a 40 year driver on the road has seen terrible things happened and he wishes the best for me.
2) I am not allowed to ride bicycle on the road same as point 1).
3) I am not allowed to go places where I would invite trouble and get into trouble like clubs when young and rash.
etc etc.

When younger, yes i questioned " what's the worse that could happen?"

Now that I am old, I don't questioned but see the point. Who doesn't like to be free to ride a bike or this or that. But keep some common sense and keep ourselves safe. Incidents happen due to unforeseen circumstances.

I am sorry but cycling is not mandatory when it concerns danger. It should be done in a safe fashion. I would stop when I get into a few close shaves.... it would not get better, someday it will get me.

How to make the roads a safer place? impossible since its a whole community of people who just started driving, to DUI, to sick, to old, to very young, to texting drivings,to " I drove for 40 years, surely better than you" kind? Unless it's all about bringing down the statistics which means a very different thing. low stats doesn't no stats.

Protect ourselves - even when driving a car or a lorry or whatever bigass truck.

马路如虎口

I am mindful of this thread heading towards the "cyclists versus motorcyclists" route so I shan't defend why it is ok. I am all for punishing cyclists who flout the rules (no helmet, lights, beat red lights). As much as LTA is hunting down tinted cars, TP should caution riders who disregard the rules.

The road is for all to share. Even this morning I saw a M5 (SD*70*) driving rather recklessly down Dunearn Road, intentionally beating a red light and horning motorists. To me, he doesn't belong on the road just like "those cyclists".

speedyj;950757 said:
pls la..cyclists dont below to the rd in singapore.u telling me cyclists go thur BTT?? how will they obey the rule if they dont know them in the first place??

of course. its better they hit a pedestrian.how bad can the damage be?how likely on losing lifes??

farked up...... sibeh sad to see :(

P1-Jan29-Tuesday222.jpg

epong;950803 said:
I am mindful of this thread heading towards the "cyclists versus motorcyclists" route so I shan't defend why it is ok. I am all for punishing cyclists who flout the rules (no helmet, lights, beat red lights). As much as LTA is hunting down tinted cars, TP should caution riders who disregard the rules.

The road is for all to share. Even this morning I saw a M5 (SD*70*) driving rather recklessly down Dunearn Road, intentionally beating a red light and horning motorists. To me, he doesn't belong on the road just like "those cyclists".

I paraphrase the late Rodney King's immortal words, as he was being whacked by over zealous LA riot police: "Why can't we all just get along!?"

Cyclists cyclists... how about the truck drivers? They must be made to slow down. They're spilling rubbish all over the ECP and going too fast in residential neighbourhoods.

RIP boys. It really hurt to see this as a parent.
I'm going to stop cycling on the road with my 2 girls with immediate effect.
We used to cycle every weekend to the nearest petrol kiosk to buy papers and other stuff.
And I have always insisted that they keep to the left at all times and stop at stop signs.
I guess even with this approach, I cannot stop freak accidents from happening especially when you are down in luck to meet cock drivers. I just cannot afford to pay the price.

The Guardian;950839 said:
We used to cycle every weekend to the nearest petrol kiosk to buy papers and other stuff.
And I have always insisted that they keep to the left at all times and stop at stop signs.
I guess even with this approach, I cannot stop freak accidents from happening especially when you are down in luck to meet cock drivers. I just cannot afford to pay the price.

I reckon the only safe way to cycle will be to hitch the bikes up to the car & drive them to a park someplace, where there aren't any cars allowed... 710sq km is simply too tight a space to accommodate cars, trucks, lorries, bikes & bicycles, what more 6 to 7M people...

i dont think i will be able to carry on living if it is me.......

you are playing with fate.
if you want to cycle,car ferry your bicycles to neighbourhood parks to cycle.
why cycle in public open roads ?

The Guardian;950839 said:

Darth Vader;950863 said:
i dont think i will be able to carry on living if it is me.......
Ya, really heart breaking..... I can't imagine the pain man....... sibei sad......

If parks are safe then it's a good suggestion. However there is the false sense of security especially at the bigger parks eg EC. I once saw a crashing peloton of bikes cos a young boy very unknowingly ventured into a bike path in the opposite direction. The first rider Siam, the second jam braked but the following riders just crashed into the second.

Imagine the 10kg bike with a 80kg rider going full on into a 6/7 year old kid. Then forummers would recommend "riders pls go Fitness First to ride. Some more can listen to music".

Darth Vader;950864 said:
you are playing with fate.
if you want to cycle,car ferry your bicycles to neighbourhood parks to cycle.
why cycle in public open roads ?

davidtch;950727 said:
I m a cyclist & commute to work daily. My daily commuting speed is no lower than 25km/h. I agree on the pt you made.

It will not work as the recreational cycling community has grow exponentially. In fact, cycling is the new golf. Pavement do not have the capability to cope with the volume of cyclist on the road. In addition, pavement is not suitable for speed above 15km/h. On a run of the mill racing bike, 30km/h is a normal speed.

The current problem is lack of education on road user etiquette. Juz look at the example of cited by Puffer. Whose fault is that? Parents or kids?

Those who can cycle fast on road bikes, and are aware of traffic rules - by all means use the road. YOU weigh the pros and cons, because its YOUR life at stake.

BUT I would rather the recreational cyclists stay on pavements. The problem is that it is currently illegal to cycle on pavements, forcing law abiding cyclists onto the road.

I don't think cyclists are a problem with pedestrian crowd -- our roads are equally jammed lah.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
77betink

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back