The Barclays Premiership / Champions League Thread

Re: The Barclays Premiership / Champions League Thread

marklee;498589 said:
...Have you ever played soccer and handled the ball, accidentally or purposely? Have you ever dived to win a penalty? Have you ever over-simulated an injury to try and get a player sent off? If not, I doubt you have played soccer (or any other type of ball game) competitively before....

I may not have played football professionally, but definitely competitively at U-21 level. Managed to collect some trophies along the way.

Handled ball accidentally - Yes, of course. Unavoidable.
Handled ball purposely - NO.
Dive to win a penalty - NO.
Over-simulated injury to induce yellow/red cards - NO.

I have also never been shown a yellow or red all the time I was playing (mostly at left-back).

Breyton;498661 said:
I may not have played football professionally, but definitely competitively at U-21 level. Managed to collect some trophies along the way.

Handled ball accidentally - Yes, of course. Unavoidable.
Handled ball purposely - NO.
Dive to win a penalty - NO.
Over-simulated injury to induce yellow/red cards - NO.

I have also never been shown a yellow or red all the time I was playing (mostly at left-back).
hahaha... u play soccer? zun bo? ball picker also got trophies wan ar? Come to turf city tomorrow & help us pick ball...

Able to pass match fitness test example completing minimum of 8 laps in 12 mins? Yes ... almost 20 years ago ;)

Got any game for ah peks a not?

ktnpl;498665 said:
Able to pass match fitness test example completing minimum of 8 laps in 12 mins? Yes ... almost 20 years ago ;)

Got any game for ah peks a not?
What u mention is exactly what most of the players has been doing 20yrs back also... Come join us tomorrow, most of them are ah peks. People like toto, kennina, axl etc...all ah pek! :lol2:

Please help yourself to sign up here--------------->http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/events...-soccer-turf-city-november-26th-thursday.html

hum@n;498669 said:
What u mention is exactly what most of the players has been doing 20yrs back also... Come join us tomorrow, most of them are ah peks. People like toto, kennina, axl etc...all ah pek! :lol2:

Sure anot? Toto & Kenn looks like 30s at most from the photos. Anyone in 40s?

I promise to join once I whip myself into shape :)

ktnpl;498671 said:

I promise to join once I whip myself into shape :)
Haha...once u get urself into shape, please do not join us because most of us are SHAPELESS...!!!:lol:

I think our fitness level is inversely proportional to our ride's hp. I was fittest when my ride is only 1hp lol

hum@n said:
... Come join us tomorrow, most of them are ah peks. People like toto, kennina, axl etc...all ah pek!
ktnpl said:
I am close to 50 !!!

But anything below the waist, I am like 18 !!!

Dun believe, ask the gals !!!

hum@n;498664 said:
hahaha... u play soccer? zun bo? ball picker also got trophies wan ar? Come to turf city tomorrow & help us pick ball...

I play football. Soccer is for the yanks.

But these days I can only play 'ball'. And I am at Turf City more times a week than any of you ok....lol

wow... now any ball also can hantam it in this thread?

Man U lost, played understrength....
Do u think they will not qualify if both CSK Moscow and Woflburg win they match respectively???

dpointt said:
Do u think they will not qualify if both CSK Moscow and Woflburg win they match respectively???
Man Utd already qualifies...........

ktnpl;498654 said:
Are you saying that because so many others cheat so one more cheat is no big deal? Do you account for everything that happens? Why dont you start by citing the cheating cases that started since beginning of the world?:screwedu: It's simply ludicrous.

Obviously if you are careless in driving and hit something, the punishment meted out is different if you hit a pedestrian rather than a lamp-post.

I'm just citing an example to set the tone against blatant cheating, especially since it caused a crucial and cruel twist to the result. There's a genuine outcry and FIFA did take notice. I'm also a fan who have played soccer.

I'm not saying that because so many others cheat, one more cheat is no big deal. I'm saying that relative to other examples of cheating that I have cited. This one example pales in comparism, but you don't see such a big reaction to them. Why is that so? Just because they were inconsequential to the result? My biggest gripe in soccer is diving, because it is a deliberate calculated attempt to fool the referee...can you seriously say that diving is less of an offense than what Henry did?

Just because the handball decided the fate of France qualification in the WC at the expense of the Irish doesn't make the offense more serious than if it was inconsequential...Imagine if Henry's handball had not been the deciding factor for France to qualify....and in the end the Irish qualify. Reactions around the world would be very different, there would be no outcries of injustice. But it's still the same offense yes? Hitting a lamp post and hitting a pedestrian are two very different offences.

marklee;498900 said:
Just because the handball decided the fate of France qualification in the WC at the expense of the Irish doesn't make the offense more serious than if it was inconsequential.

Just my own honest opinion. The consequences aggravated the case and it's also alarming to come from a top sportsman.

After the outcry, FIFA is at least taking some action by considering additional officials. Hopefully, they will also cramp down on diving and all other forms of cheating.

ktnpl;498993 said:
Just my own honest opinion. The consequences aggravated the case and it's also alarming to come from a top sportsman.

After the outcry, FIFA is at least taking some action by considering additional officials. Hopefully, they will also cramp down on diving and all other forms of cheating.

Just my honest opinion too.

Yup at least we can agree that something good did come out from the whole fiasco. I'm actually all for technology to be used in modern soccer..but that would put the refs out of business. An additional official behind the goal-line is a good idea, and I hope they implement it soon.

The use of an additional official or technology, that's cool for a start but I was hoping for more actually. Through the worldwide outburst, I guess people out there really wanted to, like me, embarass the cheaters so that they know that they win without honour, not just for this high profile game alone but using it as a launchpad.

As for BPL, if the commentators are to be believed, throughout the course of the 38 games, the decisions will cancel each other out. Hence, in a way, cheating will not pay in the long run, I think. That's probably why there isn't much of an outcry although people have been suggesting, but not screaming aloud, that players like Drogba and C. Ronaldo, to name a few, go down too easily. Despite kinks along the way, the team that runs out the eventual winner will win plaudits even from the stern critics.

marklee;499020 said:
Just my honest opinion too.

Yup at least we can agree that something good did come out from the whole fiasco. I'm actually all for technology to be used in modern soccer..but that would put the refs out of business. An additional official behind the goal-line is a good idea, and I hope they implement it soon.

ktnpl;499064 said:
The use of an additional official or technology, that's cool for a start but I was hoping for more actually. Through the worldwide outburst, I guess people out there really wanted to, like me, embarass the cheaters so that they know that they win without honour, not just for this high profile game alone but using it as a launchpad.

As for BPL, if the commentators are to be believed, throughout the course of the 38 games, the decisions will cancel each other out. Hence, in a way, cheating will not pay in the long run, I think. That's probably why there isn't much of an outcry although people have been suggesting, but not screaming aloud, that players like Drogba and C. Ronaldo, to name a few, go down too easily. Despite kinks along the way, the team that runs out the eventual winner will win plaudits even from the stern critics.

My 2 cents,

I'm against technology to be used in soccer, to me, all these controversies make soccer so much more entertaining, and diving, handball, faking injuries are just as much of the game as your fancy step overs, your diving header, bicycle kick and 30 metres free kick goals.

Anyway Mark, haven't seen you around for futsal for a while.
ktnpl, there is a weekly futsal session in the forum, join us if you are interested.

think bookies can start paying all the Chelsea bet on winning the EPL liao
seems like there's no stopping them.... next year United!!

Yeah, too strong for any team in BPL for the time being....... they have the most complete team in the BPL, from defense to midfield to attack........

I think Chelsea can match Barca man-to-man at this moment......

luckily i didn't stay up to watch the gunners get hammered last night. like men vs boys. sighnnn

PropT;499104 said:
My 2 cents,

I'm against technology to be used in soccer, to me, all these controversies make soccer so much more entertaining, and diving, handball, faking injuries are just as much of the game as your fancy step overs, your diving header, bicycle kick and 30 metres free kick goals.

Anyway Mark, haven't seen you around for futsal for a while.
ktnpl, there is a weekly futsal session in the forum, join us if you are interested.

Yeah...just caught some hockey action on Sunday and saw them use a video referral system. In the end the correct decision was given, upgrading a penalty corner to a penalty stroke. Would be quite interesting to see this implemented for soccer...maybe can give it a trial first, like what is being done for hockey now.

DAWN.COM | Sport | Hockey to introduce video-referral system: FIH

Not that I am terribly busy with work now...but something always crops up on thursday preventing me from playing futsal...really want to play, but this thursday most likely cannot again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bk8dog

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back