The Barclays Premiership / Champions League Thread

Re: The Barclays Premiership / Champions League Thread

Breyton;421450 said:
The EPL's dominance today was not achieved overnight. And yet, despite this supposed 'dominance' they have had fewer wins in Europe than the Spanish and the Italians since the EPL's inception (English wins = 3, Spanish = 5, Italian = 4). In that same period, the Germans have won it twice and the French, Dutch and Portuguese have all won it once. And the wins by clubs from different countries have been more or less evenly spread over that period - it's not like the 3 English wins have been concentrated over the past few years. That's the beauty of the Champions League. Supposedly 'lesser' teams like Porto can knock 'giants' like Man Utd out and go on to win it.

I am concerned about the recent dominace of EPL teams..when i say recent..i meant a few years ago not since the formation of EPL.. as recent as 2004/05 season u can start seeing the pattern developing..

2004 - 2005 - Winners Liverpool Finalist AC Milan ( Semis - Chelsea, PSV)
2005 -2006 - Winners Barca Finalist Ars (Semis Villareal, AC)
2006 - 2007 - Winners AC Milan Finalist Liverpool (Semis -Man Utd, Chelsea)
2007 - 2008 - Winners Man Utd Finalist Chelsea (Semis - Liverpool, Barca)

I hope you see the pattern..especially for the past 2 seasons before ...the champs league contains 3 EPL teams in the semis...what a big YAWN...to me I'm a neutral..and i find it damn boring to see this kind of match ups...How many chelsea liverpool semi finals must i watch..wah lau....

Funny how you mentioned Porto .. Since it won it in 2003 they have virtually become also rans in the compeition..almost their their core is sold to chelsea their manager included...

Breyton;421450 said:
No doubt the EPL is the richest league, most televised league, attracts the best players, etc. The EPL's commercial success stemmed from forward-thinking early on, prudent deals with TV networks and marketing efforts since then. And then came the fad of billionaires buying EPL clubs as their newest toys. But we have all seen that money doesn't guarantee success on the pitch.
Money dont buy you success..but it definately makes things alot alot easier

Breyton;421450 said:
Anyway, as Kenn says, the process is too far along to reverse. I am just wondering what are the 'macro level' negatives that the EPL has on the sport?

Its killing competition ...They might not have the best single player but the fact is somehow they managed to purchase the best set of players to a team in recent time..and i think this will be the trend for yrs to come..it might have started a few years ago..

I am speaking from a neutral soccer fan's standpoint..not as a BPL fan.
________
BustyHottness

Last edited by a moderator:

If anyone of the EPL BIG 4 fans disagree with my earlier post...Its very normal .. as who dont want to see their clubs being successful right??

But what I posted does bare some truth in it imo..before anyone start flaming me .. I have nothing against EPL and its relative success now ... I am just a neutral soccer fan/punter..I watch soccer for its excitment. I dont find it refreshing at all to always see eg Liverpool vs Chelsea kind of semi final match ups in a continental compeition. Its like watching FA cup...just substitute the trophy can liao...
________
Herpes Advice

Goodness.... Liverpool beats Real 4-0... :)

Azrielsc;422068 said:
Goodness.... Liverpool beats Real 4-0... :)

Yes! Liverpool best!
But then, after big european win they always ganna jialat jialat in the league. And this Saturday it's the Mancs. Oops.....

sigh juventus out of champions league. :(

YAWN another liverpool Chelsea semi finals on the cardS?!!!!

Man Utd vs Inter Milan..Any comments?
________
Property insurance forums

so far both EX- EPL managers kenna booted out!!!
Mourinho to follow suit?? tough game tonite....

Aggregate Scores:

Liverpool 5 Real Madrid 0
Bayern Munich 12 Sporting Lisbon 1
Chelsea 3 Juventus 2
Villareal 3 Panathinaikos 2

Man Utd will be under pressure form Alex to beat Inter after both Liverpool and Chelsea advanced. My guess Man Utd 2 Inter Milan 1 aggregative 2-1.

Arsenal 1 Roma 0 aggregate 2-0

Barcelona 2 Lyon 0 aggregate 3-1

A Madrid 1 Porto 0 aggregate 3-2

C3P0;422074 said:
Yes! Liverpool best!
But then, after big european win they always ganna jialat jialat in the league. And this Saturday it's the Mancs. Oops.....

Agreed with u, C3P0..intitally wanted to buy Liverpool win 1-0 or 2-1 for the LIV-MU match..but after 4-0 thrashing of Real..a bit hesitated now..still i hope for a Liverpool win to make title chase more exciting towards May..:)

toiletsiao;422130 said:
so u think Man Utd will Win or Draw or Lose

Man Utd - 0
Inter - 1....

toiletsiao;422123 said:
YAWN another liverpool Chelsea semi finals on the cardS?!!!!

Man Utd vs Inter Milan..Any comments?

draw written all over the wall.(90MinS) good time to cash in.

juz checked soccernet....

4 english clubs in the quarter final. ...english superiority wow....

Newcastle said:
4 english clubs in the quarter final. ...english superiority wow....
4 BPL teams, 2 Spanish, 1 German and 1 Portuguese.

Bookmakers placed Barcelona and Man United as favs. But I reckoned Liverpool and Bayern Munich are the teams to watch.

no cheating italians...

kenntona;422404 said:
4 BPL teams, 2 Spanish, 1 German and 1 Portuguese.

Bookmakers placed Barcelona and Man United as favs. But I reckoned Liverpool and Bayern Munich are the teams to watch.

Chelsea will do it this yr..hehe

At least theres where i have my money on.. Champions League Overall Winner @ Singaporepools :) 1 and only selection
________
Kitchen Measures

another ex-EPL manager bites the dust!!!
HAHAHAHA............ think next will be the EX-EPL players...

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back