What is the profile of a 520 driver ... in general

Raffles

5 is good for family image since u don't 'cheong', go with your heart.
'Real' 3 or 5 is very individual, one can say 330/530 is the 'real' 3/5 as well.

Btw, u can try pedal to metal from stand still or on the run to see if you're comfortable with the power.
Hope you'll enjoy the drive of UDM. ;)

Happy shopping & welcome to Bmw.SG :)

No lah, 520s are not purchased by wannabes. People buy 520s for alot of practical reasons. For e.g., how fast can u go in Singapore? For people who do not need a rush, 520i is more than competent and it performs very well in North-South as well as up hills like Cameron. The car has sports mode and steptronics and when properly applied, the car is a joy to use.

And some of the 520s such as the Executive model is quite expensive too and even better specced than a 525i e.g. it comes with xenon, window roller blinds etc.

When new, the price diff betw a 520i and a 525i is abt $30k or more and all that for 300cc. For those who feel that is not justified, they will settle for 520i and that is why there are so many 520s in Singapore.

Re: What is the profile of a 520 driver ... in general

Hi Spidy25,

Welcome to the BMW.SG forums :)

On your question...i think your friend has a image problem instead. Not everyone will want a 330, or a 325 or a 530 etc etc. It may all boil down to economic reasons of costs and needs. Why buy an M3 when you can't go fast in Singapore and all the TP is watching? Why buy a bimmer when a nissan sunny is good enough? Blah blah blah...always a few different camps etc.

I generally think nothing much of any 520i owners, if they enjoy the car as it is, it's totally fine and great IMO. Likewise, if i see any 530i owners acting like an idiot on the roads, i think they outta be shot. However, i haven't seen one yet. Heh.

With regards to being underpowered.. it's all relative. If you want power, get an evo. If you want PURE class, get a Merc. If you want BALANCE between...then a BMW is perfect. Of course, bigger CC is always better, but a 2.2l is quite good to potter around in, given you are not the cheong type. There is never really enough power.

Anyway, it has been proven again and again that some 2.2l can be really fast!!! hehe...

Good luck with your search! Welcome again! :wavey:

Spidy25 said:
Hi

U may have seen my other post in this forum about getting a 520. Today when I mentioned it to a friend, I was shocked of her reaction !

She said that 520 driver are people who cannot afford the real 5 series (525 and above). She said the car is hopelessly under powered and no fun to drive. She even question me why am I lowering my "class" to get a 520 !!!

Is this what pple generally think of a 520 owner ? (honestly)

Having browse the forum for the past few days, I think most pple here are 3 series owner ? Like to mod a lot and "cheong" ? Am I right ?

Have always find 5 series and 7 series owner relatively well manner road users but occassionaly do find some "Ah Beng" type 3 series driver, NOT trying to generalise so please don't "flame" me. The other type of 3 series driver are mainly ladies so that's why I am not keen on the 3 series.

Currently I drive a Scenic 2.0, not exactly a "cheong" guy. More of a family man but would occasionaly enjoy a "spirited" drive. 520 (E39) looks ok to me as it is quite spacious, the spec looks quite good and of cos the look is very nice. So I am thinking of trying out a BM for a change.

Or should I ? ... hm...

Like it or not, 520 is underpowered for that body size and weight. It is similar to buying Merc E200. Big body, small engine.

Somehow very popular in SG though. I think this is driven my the way road tax is structured - based on displacement.

In other countries where this is not the case, i.e. road tax is the same regardless of cc, you can hardly find 520. Minimum 525, mostly 530. Because that is the sweet spot for a car that size and weight.

mwidjaya said:
Like it or not, 520 is underpowered for that body size and weight. It is similar to buying Merc E200. Big body, small engine.

Somehow very popular in SG though. I think this is driven my the way road tax is structured - based on displacement.

In other countries where this is not the case, i.e. road tax is the same regardless of cc, you can hardly find 520. Minimum 525, mostly 530. Because that is the sweet spot for a car that size and weight.

Yup bro, when I was in US, cannot find 520is at all. The most common ones are the 530is and the 540is. Even 525is are rare. But having said that, we are living in Singapore where the price of a brand new 520i can buy you to 2 X M5s in the US. So I dun think one has to be overly concerned about status of owning a 520i in Singapore at all.

Spidy25 said:
......Today when I mentioned it to a friend, I was shocked of her reaction !

She said that 520 driver are people who cannot afford the real 5 series (525 and above). She said the car is hopelessly under powered and no fun to drive. She even question me why am I lowering my "class" to get a 520 !!!

Let me put this in a proper perspective.

I will be just as crude as your friend - this is a mental block. A sense of class segregation. What ran through her mind was essentially a negative perception of so-called entry-level cars. She will be having the same narrow thoughts about the 318i or the C180. She might have even lamented on 99-year condos. Okay, I might have committed the fallacy of slippery slope when I stated the last statement, but that thought is just so...... elitist.

The truth of the matter, at least for some, is that the drivers' profiles of some cars do not require huge horsepower/torque. For instance, some lady drivers simply require a point-to-point ferrying without having to beat the sub-8 seconds mark. Some are simply attracted to the design of the car, that technical attributes come second. Admittedly, not everyone focus on the same selling features, hence you have so many makes and models on the road. The needs are altogether different. The perception of value might also be different in different minds. For instance, which offer a better value - a high-end E60 5-series or an E65 730? Quite difficult to tell, huh?

You be the judge yourself. To each his or her own. Follow your needs and wants. Just leave your friend's indoctrinated syllogism to follow that creme-de-la-creme facination.

Spidy25 said:
Having browse the forum for the past few days, I think most pple here are 3 series owner ? Like to mod a lot and "cheong" ? Am I right ?

Have always find 5 series and 7 series owner relatively well manner road users but occassionaly do find some "Ah Beng" type 3 series driver, NOT trying to generalise so please don't "flame" me. The other type of 3 series driver are mainly ladies so that's why I am not keen on the 3 series.

It is indeed a known fact that most of the forumers here are 3-series owners, perhaps in correlated proportions to the sales breakdown of the different BMW models. And it is indeed a trait that many enthusiasts are fanatical modders of their rides.

Eh, but "cheong" and "Ah Beng" are derogatory generalisation that could be apply to any other makes. Have you not seen some Ah-Long-looking chaps in those S500? I would not resort to that sweeping remarks if I were you. No offense, really.

Not flaming you here, just my thoughts. No holds barred.

Come join us for our meetups and see for yourself if your perception is correct about the pyschographic profile of the typical bimmer driver.

But you will have to buy kopi for many when you join us. Kekeke......

Cheers

Re: What is the profile of a 520 driver ... in general

Spidy25 said:
Hi

U may have seen my other post in this forum about getting a 520. Today when I mentioned it to a friend, I was shocked of her reaction !

Currently I drive a Scenic 2.0, not exactly a "cheong" guy. More of a family man but would occasionaly enjoy a "spirited" drive. 520 (E39) looks ok to me as it is quite spacious, the spec looks quite good and of cos the look is very nice. So I am thinking of trying out a BM for a change.

Or should I ? ... hm...

My take is this...you buy a car to impress other ?? If not...why bother with what pple think ? I have never look down on anyone before...be it he drives a BMW or a B.M.W (Bus MRT and Walk)....

Why be so annoyed by what pple think of a 5 series or whatever car it is....if you like it...buy it. Most important...you the owner must like it. If for example....you hate the E60 520i but pple tell you its the best car in the world...do you go against your dislike and buy the car becos other said so ??

Its like my friend...he needed a MPV...but pple tell him all MPV looks like a van....he put off buying the MPV...bought a Camry...still does not suit his need...now he drives around in a MPV...he is very much a happier man...cos he discovered that the MPV is not a van !!

Out of curiousity, what type of ride does your friend own? Whats her car plate no? :roll:

I'm surprised a woman actually pointed out that the 520i is underpowered. It is already faster than most 1.6L cars on the road and probably handles better too.

She drive a Jaguar - X-type I think

I think she drive a X-type, before that she drove a Saab-95 convertible.

Well, pardon me for being "shallow". Shouldn't a BM command some "respect". Kind of reflect that you are there ! Just like the Merc advert, when you are at your prime that's the time you drive one...

Even in western countries where car are relatively cheap, still there are "differentiation" on Lux car vs Norm right.

Just don't want to drive a 520i and then hear people saying "That's a wannabe ... ha ha ha". Quite "pek chek" to hear comment like that right ?

Honestly haven't test drive one before, the dealer refused saying that it will increase the mileage unless I have committed. :furious:

I guess underpower or not may be relative, I have driven Elantra (my 1st car), Civic, Sunny, Scenic 2.0. It has been a slow "upgrade" I think. I am lucky this year to have make some $$$ :) so beside buying a house recently, was thinking of "throwing" some $$$ away on a BM. That's why thinking of trying out with 2nd hand 1st. Wife actually wanted the 3 series but I "sell-fish" want to try the E39 myself 1st. :oops:

Or should I just de-bage it like what people do ? But bottomline, to the 5 series owner out there, how's is your driving experience ?

Spidy25,

Take it from me, the 520 would serve you well. I have had 3 BMs, and the latest being the 520, 2.2, MAy02 model, copmplete with GPS and stuff....Everyday when i drive it, it still brings that smile on my face.

And having gone to Cameron with her recently, I even more so respect her with her stability and speed that she could go :thumbsup:

So hog wash to what others have to say, it is ur $$$ at the end :wavey:

and to be honest, the X-type to me is a wannabe car....if u wana real jag, get the XJ...so look deeper into who is making such fallacious statements liao :)

Spidy25,

To be honest, u buy the car for what it is, not the image.....I just love the in-line 6 and the performance that my 5 gives me....nothing to do abt image...that is hogwash

Re: She drive a Jaguar - X-type I think

the 5 series is a good car to drive.
handling is superb, insulation is good.
if you don't like the idea of your friend or strangers looking down on you because you drive a 2 litre, then by all means debadge the car.
but if you're so worried about what others will say about your car being an 'entry level' car, then why not get the nissan cefiro 3.5 litre? it's big, luxurious, and engine capacity is top of the nissan cefiro line. and it's cheaper than the 520 (i think).

Radon39 said:
Spidy25,

To be honest, u buy the car for what it is, not the image.....I just love the in-line 6 and the performance that my 5 gives me....nothing to do abt image...that is hogwash
Buy Bentley, confirm not wanna be

ah pui said:
why not get the nissan cefiro 3.5 litre? it's big, luxurious, and engine capacity is top of the nissan cefiro line.

Hahaha, good advice. Except, i think he will mind that it is a Nissan. And in cantonese, it is pronounced as "sei fei lo" - translation -> stupid fat man.

Honestly, if you can afford it go for 530i. That will shut them all up for good.

mwidjaya said:
Hahaha, good advice. Except, i think he will mind that it is a Nissan. And in cantonese, it is pronounced as "sei fei lo" - translation -> stupid fat man.

Honestly, if you can afford it go for 530i. That will shut them all up for good.

the thing is that i've never heard a 520 driver say "my car is damn powerful wor! can chiat other cars chialat chialat wor!" but then reading some forums you find big engined cefiro drivers saying that.

so i guess if its the image of subtlety and class that spidy25 is after, then 520 drivers definitely have class.

so spidy25, it's perfectly alright to get a 520, and nobody is going to say anything behind your back.

ah pui said:
mwidjaya said:
so spidy25, it's perfectly alright to get a 520, and nobody is going to say anything behind your back.

Yup and should u catch the mod virus and slap on AC or M5 kit, people will then say, damn swee. Lau nuah :drool:

Spidy...
... hmm this name sounds familiar?..NVM..

Go to the meetup this end mth... u will see 5series fully kitted swee swee and :drool: :drool: ........... so if u hv decided to go for 5series eventually, get it kitted fully before collecting .... Lagi swee!!!! :) :thumbsup:

Just don't want to drive a 520i and then hear people saying "That's a wannabe ... ha ha ha". Quite "pek chek" to hear comment like that right ?

Honestly haven't test drive one before, the dealer refused saying that it will increase the mileage unless I have committed.

who is your dealer? don't buy from this type of dealer. And if you really want to test drive, go PML test drive and then sign on the line... give the dealer a miss... can't believe that this type of dealer exist...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choangclubcfd
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back