What is the profile of a 520 driver ... in general

Hi all,

Wah... so much discussion on this and I have to join in since I am a new E39 owner (bought second hand 3 months ago).

Ok. I am a typical family man in mid-30s with a baby kid and a maid. Working in a MNC and the usual kind of guy who plays a bit of golf, loves a good drive (as drive to M'sia a lot on weekends) and once in a while a like to cheong when kid and wife not in car. I was driving a Mit before changing to this E39 (520). Done a lot of research and settled for the E39.

True to a certain extent, the car could do with a bit more oomph given its size. Sometimes, I do feel alamak my car is not a 530i or not the new sexy 520 but the older version (if you know what I mean). But compared to a few other cars I have driven, this car always puts a smile on my face. I do have a budget and that's why I settled for a 520i but I would not hesistate to buy a 525 or even 530 if I could afford it. But nonetheless, in terms of the sweet 6 and handling, this is one helluva car to enjoy (my humble opinion only). For someone with a small budget like me, its a big chance to get into the exclusive world of BM ownership and to find out what the big deal is all about.

Now, I understand why they call BM the UDM (a certain extent true although little exagerrated lah). I tell myself that I will upgrade to a new 530 and if "tio" big sweep the new M5. Thats an indication how much I have fallen for the make.

Re: She drive a Jaguar - X-type I think

Spidy25 said:
I think she drive a X-type, before that she drove a Saab-95 convertible.

Well, pardon me for being "shallow". Shouldn't a BM command some "respect". Kind of reflect that you are there ! Just like the Merc advert, when you are at your prime that's the time you drive one...

Even in western countries where car are relatively cheap, still there are "differentiation" on Lux car vs Norm right.

Just don't want to drive a 520i and then hear people saying "That's a wannabe ... ha ha ha". Quite "pek chek" to hear comment like that right ?

Honestly haven't test drive one before, the dealer refused saying that it will increase the mileage unless I have committed. :furious:

I guess underpower or not may be relative, I have driven Elantra (my 1st car), Civic, Sunny, Scenic 2.0. It has been a slow "upgrade" I think. I am lucky this year to have make some $$$ :) so beside buying a house recently, was thinking of "throwing" some $$$ away on a BM. That's why thinking of trying out with 2nd hand 1st. Wife actually wanted the 3 series but I "sell-fish" want to try the E39 myself 1st. :oops:

Or should I just de-bage it like what people do ? But bottomline, to the 5 series owner out there, how's is your driving experience ?

You are right on.. power is relative!
If you are going for used.. go for 525i... better value for money!
At the end of the day, it is how you feel that matters. BMW is a nicely balance car between performance and luxury.

As for her comment, there are always differences of opinion. 520i 2.2l can be sluggish and for goodness sake... ever heard a guy driving 530i and said it is sluggish too? and he wanted a 545i.

Spidy25,

Need not to care about "class" as your friend that she had described.

What important:
Do you like it and happy with the performance and handling regardless of the brand and make. Sometime you really need to pamper yourself to get what you want (of course within your mean) for working so hard and especially in SGP.

As most of the members here had fed back to you E39 is a nice and cool car to own.

Let me input you my personal view:

I drove e39 2.5l and I did not feel that I had any class at all but only enjoying the car engine, handling, performance, etc and I strongly believed that I had one thing in common as her (your friend) -- si beh gian lui (hokkien) hence, no class - hahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:
(But this does not mean that the rich had not class same apply to the less well-off, is the personality and character that projected the individual cool behavier and most people classified as "class" )

As Radon39 said - X type is wannabe...... and I need to add on:
I would rather get a Ford Mondeo ST series unless the X-type is 4 wheel drive version (2.5l and above) for some hard driving.

Go and test drive the 5 series and tell us your feel.

Hi Spidy,

choose something u like. u r paying for it and driving it after all, u mus b happy.

its a good time to buy a E39 520i 2.2l, u wont suffer high depre.

i used to have 2 E39 520i, still have 1 at home. nice car. :) 520i is sufficient for sg driving, even with 18" rims n tyres! love the handling as well! :)

tell your wife, more ladies r driving bigger cars these days. its a trend. she wil get used to it. ;)

I am also a newbie. Just bought my second hand E39 530iA three weeks ago. One word "Shiok". But like what Zag said, I don't mind a 545iA ;)
Now looking at how to do some enhancements....

Spidy25,

Hi.

Not sure if I am qualified to comment much since I dont drive an E39.. but I feel compelled to comment on your "friend's" mentality.

Hmmm.. dont think it is right to undermine the strength of the entry level 520. it still is a very good car.

I think when you buy a BMW, its for the ride-handling-performance attributes more than anything. And it is well know the in line 6 is one of the best engines in its class - be it the 2.2, 2.5 or 3.0. It would be unhealthy to buy a BMW can be concered only with its "image" and whether you are a "wannabe" who cant afford a "real BMW". That would make ownership a sad thing.

My previous ride was a 2.2 on an E46 coupe and I still think its great! The 2.2 has got a quiet and sublime acceleration though it may lack a bit of poke off the blocks. But it certainly is more value for money than the higher cc cars.

Oh yes. Just test drive one and experience for yourself!!

I bought my 1st BMW after 10 minutes of driving.. The feeling was amazing. It was like I couldnt possibly live without driving such a car!

Many of us have felt that before so go for it!

Forget about your friends comments. That person knows nothing.

Cheers!
:thumbsup:

I drive an early 2003 2.2l 520 executive and absolutely love the car! Whatever the image the car has does not bother me, I have enjoyed every moment of driving the E39 while listening to the 6 cylinders purr. Take the 520 for what it is (a very good car!) in a Singapore context, and I can assure you that it will be no pushover when required to establish its presence on the roads. :shoot:

The only image problem I encountered was of myself when I picked up my previous ride (brand new 3 series) and came across this old woman pushing a heavy load of old items along the road under the hot sun at Tiong Bahru. Felt a big surge of "guilt".

Spidy25 said:

Tell her that X-type is an overpriced FORD Mondeo as they share the same chasis and some common parts.

FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily. :dance:

Wow it is amazing ! My profiile is so v similar to JHLim except that I have 2 kids. :)

After reading all your replies I believe I need to do one thing. Go test drive one ! Feel for myself how the car perform. As far as design and interior space I definitely like the 520.

TTS is the dealer that refuse to let me test unless I commit. I tot they are "reputable" so I asked them to source one for me. But the sales lady Cynthia says they need to "protect" the mileage so cannot test drive. :evil: Is this the norm ?

It's kind of diff to find 520 under the 80% parf scheme, so wish me luck. Base on what you guys said, I would probably love the car once I drive it. :roll:

Well, option to buy a new one is out as finance minister said to pay $200k for a car is not wise. So she cut my budget to $100k and dump the other $100k into the property liao. :(

BTW anyone upgrading and selling your 5xx ? Let me know.
;)

Spidy25,

Tell Cynthia to Go fly a kite.....look for Rebecca, she will assist you in this, much friendlier. I got my E39 from her the last time.

Gimme me a PM and I will gladly go down with you to their place with you :wavey:

All the best bro :thumbsup:

ah pui,

"......and nobody is going to say anything behind your back. ...."

Till this day, I still dun understand how one can 'talk BEHIND ones BACK'....cos the BEHIND of the BACK is the.............

FRONT!!! :laughlik:

Radon39 said:
ah pui,

"......and nobody is going to say anything behind your back. ...."

Till this day, I still dun understand how one can 'talk BEHIND ones BACK'....cos the BEHIND of the BACK is the.............

FRONT!!! :laughlik:

Technically, Ah Pui is right.. Behind one's back is the back.. the front is known as front of one's front.. :screwedu: Sorry.. OT...

quiksilver said:
Spidy25 said:

Tell her that X-type is an overpriced FORD Mondeo as they share the same chasis and some common parts.

FORD = Fix Or Repair Daily. :dance:

Agreed, Jaguar is overpriced Ford, and X-type is more Ah Peh then 520 IMO.

There is a 520 with AC fully kit in blue at Car*i*mes. Its go a nice 22 plate to it. I got mine under 80% parf scheme and depreciation is only 10K (yes 10K) a year ! I think this is cheaper than a new 318 or equivalent under the new scheme (although mine was 2.5 yrs old when bought).

Like a bro who said, this is the best time to get a E39 if you can find one under the old scheme. My paper value is also high so come 5th year, I will minimize my losses.

Sorry for sounding like a salesman! Go try it.

mwidjaya said:
ah pui said:
why not get the nissan cefiro 3.5 litre? it's big, luxurious, and engine capacity is top of the nissan cefiro line.

Hahaha, good advice. Except, i think he will mind that it is a Nissan. And in cantonese, it is pronounced as "sei fei lo" - translation -> stupid fat man.

Honestly, if you can afford it go for 530i. That will shut them all up for good.

Then there will be those who tell you that a real 5 series is the M5....no end to it.

Bottomline...driver/owner happy can liao !! Even a 20yr old KE70 Toyota can bring a smile to a happy owner's face. Pple can have their views...ultimately...its their views and their view does not represent my view. I dun live to please others.

I am very happy with my E34...its is my car and I am paying for it...so I better be happy....I dun care what pple say...even my wife made noise when I bought a 15yr old car as opp to what she wanted me to buy a new car....now she appreciate the build quality of the BMW....even if its 15yr old...its still good as gold. (to me at least it is....)

:thumbsup:

Agreed. There's no end to comparisions.

Ghostrider said:
mwidjaya said:
ah pui said:
why not get the nissan cefiro 3.5 litre? it's big, luxurious, and engine capacity is top of the nissan cefiro line.

Hahaha, good advice. Except, i think he will mind that it is a Nissan. And in cantonese, it is pronounced as "sei fei lo" - translation -> stupid fat man.

Honestly, if you can afford it go for 530i. That will shut them all up for good.

Then there will be those who tell you that a real 5 series is the M5....no end to it.

Bottomline...driver/owner happy can liao !! Even a 20yr old KE70 Toyota can bring a smile to a happy owner's face. Pple can have their views...ultimately...its their views and their view does not represent my view. I dun live to please others.

I am very happy with my E34...its is my car and I am paying for it...so I better be happy....I dun care what pple say...even my wife made noise when I bought a 15yr old car as opp to what she wanted me to buy a new car....now she appreciate the build quality of the BMW....even if its 15yr old...its still good as gold. (to me at least it is....)

Ghostrider said:
Bottomline...driver/owner happy can liao !!

Right on!

But in this case, he seems to care about what others think.

I had an Alfa in Singapore and people always ask "Why alfa?". I always says because I like it.

I always feel good after a nice drive in it. If only it was less temperamental... :inlove:

Agree agree, you pay for it, you are driving it, you are enjoying it, so why care about others’ perception.

Do you have to care about others’ perception when choosing your partner? ;)

mwidjaya said:
Ghostrider said:
Bottomline...driver/owner happy can liao !!

Right on!

But in this case, he seems to care about what others think.

I had an Alfa in Singapore and people always ask "Why alfa?". I always says because I like it.

I always feel good after a nice drive in it. If only it was less temperamental... :inlove:

alfas are nice!
especially the 147GTA, such a cool looking hatchback!
that one lagi character!
hahah!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choangclubcfd
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back