advise for 520i

Re: advise for 520i

calvin_lin;819661 said:
Does the aircon always default to circulate outside air, no matter what setting you last off the car with? Can this be defaulted to recirculate within the cabin?

Hmm mine seems to remember the setting leh (circulate or auto).

Hi bro,

Borrow ur experience since u mentioned abt DS/M paddle shift mode: What is the correct way to use the paddle shift...? I have never really touched it...as i am not very sure whats the optimal correct way to do it...ie; shifting the paddles vs throttling.

Apologies if find this a dumb query but been driving with paddle shift for aesthetics so far only....;) so thought its time to actually learn and fully utilise it.

detach8;820035 said:
I think that might be due to the 8spd transmission. Too many gears, too many decisions to make: "which gear should I go to?"

You realize the moment you let off your throttle in "D" it usually upshifts and keeps the RPMs below 1,500. I believe it's for fuel economy. When you get back on the throttle gently it will stay in gear. Get back on the throttle a little more aggressively it will downshift.

Re: 5000 vs 8000, I will still pump 8000. The sulfur content in our 5000 fuel is (I think) 4 times that of 8000 and some of our engine parts especially some earlier models with nikasil cylinder sleeves can't take high sulfur content. I'm not sure what kind of alloys they put in our last batch of N52B25 engines.

Try this, go into manual shift mode on highway. I think in that mode it does not learn your drive patterns. The learning does not seem to happen in DS/M mode. Or at least to me the way the throttle and gear responds in DS/M never changed.

Miah23;820231 said:
Hi bro,

Borrow ur experience since u mentioned abt DS/M paddle shift mode: What is the correct way to use the paddle shift...? I have never really touched it...as i am not very sure whats the optimal correct way to do it...ie; shifting the paddles vs throttling.

Apologies if find this a dumb query but been driving with paddle shift for aesthetics so far only....;) so thought its time to actually learn and fully utilise it.

Not sure I understand your question here. Is your question "what should I do to the throttle when I change gear" or "when should I use the paddle shift?"

If it's about throttle... well... IMHO you don't have to bother with the throttle but my experience is keeping your foot on the throttle when both up or down shifting is perfectly fine.

Natural tendency is to let your foot off when downshifting. That actually gives a rough shift. Getting on the throttle allows the engine to rev up when a lower gear is engaged.

Upshifting works fine both ways with foot on or off, but I keep my foot on anyway.

Those who track might have different opinion. :thumbsup:

If it's "when I should use the paddle shift" is when you feel like having some fun! Get into a lower gear, keep your car revs above 3,000 rpm and get on the throttle. The car will FLY :D

Last edited by a moderator:

detach8;820240 said:
Not sure I understand your question here. Is your question "what should I do to the throttle when I change gear" or "when should I use the paddle shift?"

If it's about throttle... well... IMHO you don't have to bother with the throttle but my experience is keeping your foot on the throttle when both up or down shifting is perfectly fine.

Natural tendency is to let your foot off when downshifting. That actually gives a rough shift. Getting on the throttle allows the engine to rev up when a lower gear is engaged.

Upshifting works fine both ways with foot on or off, but I keep my foot on anyway.

Those who track might have different opinion. :thumbsup:

If it's "when I should use the paddle shift" is when you feel like having some fun! Get into a lower gear, keep your car revs above 3,000 rpm and get on the throttle. The car will FLY :D

Thanks! Yes, was trying to check which is the correct/ optimal way to shift the paddles and control the throttle at the same time. So meaning, whatever speed travelling - when want to downshift ( - ) just keep the same throttle level and pull paddle right?

Believe this needs practice....as need to judge the 'response' ... normally dun dare to try, if too many cars, in case the reaction is not expected...then jialat...

Yeah your foot can stay where it's supposed to be and just go ahead and pull the pedal. If you let the gas off and downshift you may get a nasty jerk especially at higher RPMs.

Of course don't downshift till your engine over-rev. e.g. if you are in gear 4 and at 6000rpm don't try to downshift to 3rd lah.

I have NOT tried it but I think the computer will prevent you from doing that and destroying your engine!

Other than that... I usually play around and shift around 3-4k RPM range if I want to have fun, or if I am in a pussy neow cheapskate fuel saving mood I will upshift at 2k rpm.

Thanks bro detach8!

Will go try it out.

Not trying to be a formula one driver but just thought since paid for paddle shift dun waste! Hope i dun get addicted to it.

Hahha I actually don't like the way the paddle shifts are designed (left side = down, right side = up) because when you turn your wheel, it gets up-side-down and left/right gets swapped and you get all freakin messed up so it's only useful in a straight line. I prefer the gearstick more.

The mini cooper paddles make more sense (pull = up, push = down).

Think this design is following F1 - where the steering wheel almost never needs to go more than 2/3 round for any turns...;)

detach8;820035 said:
I think that might be due to the 8spd transmission. Too many gears, too many decisions to make: "which gear should I go to?"

You realize the moment you let off your throttle in "D" it usually upshifts and keeps the RPMs below 1,500. I believe it's for fuel economy. When you get back on the throttle gently it will stay in gear. Get back on the throttle a little more aggressively it will downshift.

Ya, maybe it is the transmission cannot decide which gear to choose. This gear box is really nice. The shift in gear is so smooth and intelligent when cruising or overtaking on expressway.

Miah23;820244 said:
Thanks! Yes, was trying to check which is the correct/ optimal way to shift the paddles and control the throttle at the same time. So meaning, whatever speed travelling - when want to downshift ( - ) just keep the same throttle level and pull paddle right?

Believe this needs practice....as need to judge the 'response' ... normally dun dare to try, if too many cars, in case the reaction is not expected...then jialat...

There are 8 gears, the gear ratio difference between each gear is quite close. Can easily drop 3 gears from a cruise and still not enough. So just try it...in fact, if you just downshift by 1 gear from a steady cruise, you can hardly feel anything....

Thanks Calvin_lin,

Will trial and error.....and hope to get a hang of it.....;)

Rgds

Can the 520i be configured to chassis only in sport mode? Under my setting, I can only configure the eco-pro mode, but not sport mode?

Miah23;820251 said:
Thanks bro detach8!

Will go try it out.

Not trying to be a formula one driver but just thought since paid for paddle shift dun waste! Hope i dun get addicted to it.

Dun worry, its only a novelty item and you will totally forget about it in a few months. More natural to push the gear lever to the left and shift from there. Actually, just pushing it to the left without doing the +/- is already good enough for SG roads.

Plus with the high torque from the turbo + close gear ratios, you really need to shift fast.

Hi

I got a question to ask and know it's been discuss in the forum already but still cannot get a conclusion.

I goin for my 1st 10k servicing for my f10 520. Any recommendation which brand and type of engine oil to use? I am on essomobil petrol. I heard pple say new car use OW-30, true or use 5W-40 better? Btw we can bring our own engine oil in when go pml for servicing right? Any idea wat will be the charges like if we bring our own oil?

Pls advise.

Thanks!!!

rt333;828734 said:
Hi

I got a question to ask and know it's been discuss in the forum already but still cannot get a conclusion.

I goin for my 1st 10k servicing for my f10 520. Any recommendation which brand and type of engine oil to use? I am on essomobil petrol. I heard pple say new car use OW-30, true or use 5W-40 better? Btw we can bring our own engine oil in when go pml for servicing right? Any idea wat will be the charges like if we bring our own oil?

Pls advise.

Thanks!!!

Any bmw LL-01 or LL-04 oil is ok. Bring own oil, not sure if there will say it user engine oil issue when you need to claim warranty...

rt333;828734 said:
Hi

Pls advise.

Thanks!!!

Slow_poke_driver;828782 said:
Any bmw LL-01 or LL-04 oil is ok. Bring own oil, not sure if there will say it user engine oil issue when you need to claim warranty...

I would suggest use 5W30 oil. Some say 0W30 is ok as engine is still new. As for me, i kiasu n kiasi so i'll go for min 5W30 with oil change every 5K and ATF change at every 20K... :)

A lot of bros bring their own oil to PML during their servicing too. I'll be doing that too and will buy oil filter at Eng Soon before go... Haha

Luboil;829190 said:
Go for 5W-40. BMW engine super hot. 0W will vaporise in no time
For 40wt, whether 0W or 5W, it does not make much diff.

Luboil;829190 said:
Go for 5W-40. BMW engine super hot. 0W will vaporise in no time
5W40, will make the car feel sluggish?

rt333;828734 said:
Hi

Pls advise.

Thanks!!!

We can discuss about engine oil a million times and we will still never get any conclusion because under normal driving conditions, it does not really matter that much. Some drivers can feel some difference but the truth is that you will not cause engine damage by using a wrong type of oil (of course not cooking oil). Our cars can even use non synthetic oil and will not have problems if done properly and changed regularly.

So it is really down to personal preference.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vnsoxoblog
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back