Aftermarket speakers for F20

Re: Aftermarket speakers for F20

One word of caution.

Since the F20 is pretty new, most if not ALL of the guru ICE installers have no experience in dealing with our rides.
You want to be their guinea pig, you know the risk.

This F20 electronics and wiring setup is totally different from the previous 1 series.

So if an ICE installers says they have done it before, chances are they are lying.

Just my 2-cents.

Honestly, I look at their perplexed expression and I know that they don't have the experience with this model. That said it's not as though our car is some breakthrough car with super complex design so an experienced hand will know how to do it.

Somehow, I feel that many of the ICE installers have disappeared since I was last looking around. AE's Ah Huat, Nam Huat's Eric those guys are MIA liao. My first car was done at Swift Motion more than 14yrs ago, I dare not look for Sam still.

I've just done some window shopping on the WWW.

Looking at the crazy prices quoted, I'm actually considering buying stuff off eBay, the Alpine DSP runs for US$750 vs $1750, Focal KRX3 sells US$1100 vs $2500 etc and get someone to install it. After GST and shipping will still save enough to get a Kelleners Sport.

And I just read some reviews of the Gladen, it seems like a real PnP unit for BMW. Just pair it with a good amp and you're good to go. Tempted....

ben1;864037 said:
One word of caution.

Since the F20 is pretty new, most if not ALL of the guru ICE installers have no experience in dealing with our rides.
You want to be their guinea pig, you know the risk.

This F20 electronics and wiring setup is totally different from the previous 1 series.

So if an ICE installers says they have done it before, chances are they are lying.

Just my 2-cents.

Agreed:)

So far all my usual shops have only admitted to having done the previous 1 series models. Not the F20. Plus some were honest enough to admit that they don't know how the output from the head unit is filtered, so can't guaranty a good setup until they do the job plus tweaking :)

but my backside still itchy so i will probably do it at some point:)

baazlee;864191 said:

So far all my usual shops have only admitted to having done the previous 1 series models. Not the F20. Plus some were honest enough to admit that they don't know how the output from the head unit is filtered, so can't guaranty a good setup until they do the job plus tweaking :)

I'm going Toh Guan later in the morning....join me?

baazlee;864191 said:

Hmm, how come no one try soundwerkz? I had my F30 audio done up at soundwerkz. Folks there are all very approachable and not pushy.

Forrestgum;864197 said:
What time?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

1145-12pm? 93809565

Update: Oops something came up at the last minute, no time to go down. Maybe fri afternoon.

Last edited by a moderator:

Screen%20Shot%202012-08-01%20at%208.37.37%20PM.png

I think I might just go for this set with a Mosconi amp and paired with my existing active sub..
Mosconi seems well reviewed and is a child company under Gladen as well.

Most impt, don't think it will break the bank!

Looks interesting.

What is it supposed to achieve?

Will changing to these speakers improve the tonal quality and the amps would lower the noise floor?
Unless there is sound staging achievable but whose to tune?

ben1;864712 said:
Looks interesting.

What is it supposed to achieve?

Will changing to these speakers improve the tonal quality and the amps would lower the noise floor?
Unless there is sound staging achievable but whose to tune?

Bro, at this price range, I think we got to use these terms loosely, but it should be considerably better than the stock set up as replaces all the stock front speakers and adds tweeters. Also, the addition of an amp (w or wo dsp) and subwoofer can only make it better when tuned properly.

Hi leslie11, where do you change the speakers and amp. How much is the damage and how they install the tweeters ? ;)

I guess they'll mount the tweeters on the door frame, our dash's curvature isn't too suite for mounting there though I could be wrong. Shaynne is the only one on the forum I know who did it (at AE), maybe she'll share her pix soon (of her frame, not herself, i mean of her door frame, joking only Shaynne!).

Damage for the speakers, if i'm not wrong is $1218, amp should hit you for another $1k if you get a good one that has a basic DSP. I'll prob pop by AE and Nam Huat on Fri PM to get a quote, don't think I'm going back to Chuan Sing.

leslie11;864733 said:
I guess they'll mount the tweeters on the door frame, our dash's curvature isn't too suite for mounting there though I could be wrong. Shaynne is the only one on the forum I know who did it (at AE), maybe she'll share her pix soon (of her frame, not herself, i mean of her door frame, joking only Shaynne!).

Damage for the speakers, if i'm not wrong is $1218, amp should hit you for another $1k if you get a good one that has a basic DSP. I'll prob pop by AE and Nam Huat on Fri PM to get a quote, don't think I'm going back to Chuan Sing.

The tweeters are mounted on the door frame, not the best position but I didn't want to add anything else anywhere so make do lar. They will drill a hole in the door frame to run the wires, so be prepared for the lobang when you remove it in future. Will try to take a pic and share it later today.

Considering adding a sub sometime down the road. Current setup seems to be lacking in some oomph.

Btw, Audio System and Mosconi now all under Gladen brand name if I'm not wrong, so you will only find the Gladen badge now, but products still the same.

Shaynne;864965 said:
The tweeters are mounted on the door frame, not the best position but I didn't want to add anything else anywhere so make do lar. They will drill a hole in the door frame to run the wires, so be prepared for the lobang when you remove it in future. Will try to take a pic and share it later today.

Considering adding a sub sometime down the road. Current setup seems to be lacking in some oomph.

Btw, Audio System and Mosconi now all under Gladen brand name if I'm not wrong, so you will only find the Gladen badge now, but products still the same.

If you're running the underseat speakers active, try playing around with the gain settings 1st. Bass frequencies usually need more power anyways.

Cheers

Yep but usually it'll lack the oomph. Adding an amp, esp a good one, makes a difference. Sorry I can't articulate cos I'm not an expert in these things.

Munich123;865531 said:
hi guys,
can we add new speakers without adding new AMP?

Hi Munich123,
I'm not a pro either, but if I were to choose between either upgrade of speakers or adding an amp, then I would choose the latter first. Changing the speakers alone would defeat the purpose if you want improved sound quality.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
77betink

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back