F30 Teething Problems

Re: F30 Teething Problems

bimmerman;855259 said:
Update :

Complained about the noise and other teething problems in first post, and spongey brakes as well. SE was kind enough to insist on a loaner car for me given my long loyalty record. Not bad, got an X1 to drive for a few days.

Fixed the foot-well light (loose connector). Initially technician said F30 onwards, no more footwell light for driver side(lights out for drivers!!???). They also bled the brakes and replaced the fluid. Now the brakes are more "Jiak".
As for the noise, I think spending many years in workshops have made them hard of hearing. They can't hear the whirling sound when the car is stationery or coasting at low speeds. Must understand they spend moe time outside the car than inside listening to Vivaldi. If it's too silent, somethin's wrong!

However, they were honest to admit that there have been lots of complaints on the sound insulation. Even showed me their emails with their German counterparts, who affirmed that the diesel sounding engine is characteristic of the N20. However, they were not convinced of the poor insulation (stuck at denial stage).

You guys need to keep complaining till it is a statistic they can't ignore. SA assured me that should they fix the insulation, earlier F30s would have the fix too. Please unleash those complaints else nothing is done! Meanwhile, have to turn the stereo a little louder. (now thinking of changing to better speakers rather than sound proofing material).

As far as I'm conerned, quite convinced they did all they could. (At least no one told me to buy an F10 or sell it and get a Lexus!)

btw, after 3 weeks, mastered the delicate art of "crouching-leg-swipe-open-boot" pugilistic technique. Works all the time now. Trick is in making swift and quick motions (make sure you take deep breaths and maintain internal pressure and say "Herk! Hwak!). No need to go deep under the car.

Just sharing with my bimmer bros....Cheers!

Bro, I've lodged a complaint on the wind noise, suspension sounds and interior rattling a few weeks ago. Waiting for PML to feedback on a loaner till now, no news yet. Wonder if they bother at all. Prob gonna call them soon if there's no feedback.

The seals have issues. I replaced my windscreen due to a chip. MA did the replacement and of cos the seals as well. Front windscreen no longer have the noise, but the side remains. I noticed that the seals seem to tarnish in dull black with some white spots. Kinda disappointing to see such quality.

Seems like f30 really suck in sound insulation, I usually turn on my music once I start up. Prolly because of that I didn't really take note of the noise

creampuff;855501 said:
Seems like f30 really suck in sound insulation, I usually turn on my music once I start up. Prolly because of that I didn't really take note of the noise

I have my car for 2 weeks now and personally I find the sound insulation quite ok. Cabin is quiet at cruising speed of 80kmh. Can hear some wind noise above 110kmh though, maybe due to the design of the side mirrors. I had a pre-LCI E90 before and the side mirrors were smaller. Also heard from some where that if the side windows rubber is seasoned after sometime, the sealing will be better and wind noise will reduce. Don't know how true but will see how after 3months.

Yep, wind noise still ok only at high speed then more prominent i feel or maybe we're just lucky. We should have a f30 meetup to discuss the problems and bang table together at pml haha

Anyway, I feel that the f30 door somewhat flimsy and when closing the door can feel it. Have an A4, the door feels much more sturdy...

creampuff;855545 said:
Yep, wind noise still ok only at high speed then more prominent i feel or maybe we're just lucky. We should have a f30 meetup to discuss the problems and bang table together at pml haha

Anyway, I feel that the f30 door somewhat flimsy and when closing the door can feel it. Have an A4, the door feels much more sturdy...

haha...F30 is no man's child... unlike F10 or F20 got leader to organise :D

flimsy ?? i find F30 door heavy need to bang harder to close until A4 just a slight push close already

animian;855559 said:
flimsy ?? i find F30 door heavy need to bang harder to close until A4 just a slight push close already
Idk what's the exact term, but I just feel that the metal feel very hollow when closing, sometimes when my friends or family members close the door hard, can really feel the bang in the car and in my heart.

When I close the A4 door, it feels heavier an easier to close. Don't have the "bang" feeling...

detach8;846110 said:
Well for a $210K car with a $50K margin going to BMW Asia + PML (don't know and don't care how they split it) I think these expectations are reasonable. Like I said I was testing the 2012 A4, and right away after that I went to PML and tested the F30 320i. The difference was *really* obvious.

Not so much of road noise (partially blame the run flats there) but the wind and especially the engine noise was apparent. The 1.8T engine in the Audi was so much smoother. It is a pity the A4 1.8T is a FWD. If they offered the 1.8T with Quattro I would have gone with the A4.

The rear doors on the F30 were also noticeably lighter and did not close with a firm thud that my old E90 320i did. IMHO the entire fit an finish of the F30 is a disappointment. The *only* improvement was the engine (over the N46 in the 320i) and the iDrive. For 328i I think the old N52 engines were better. I'm not too optimistic about the reliability of forced-induction engine and the type of service intervals we are recommended by BMW given the historical sludge problems when BMW said it was OK to do an oil change every 25,000km on the E90s.

If you have read another thread where I gave my feedback during the initial launch of the F30, you will know why I went for the F10 instead. If given a choice and not for the completely f**ked up prices of the second hand market right now I will gladly buy an E90 323i or 325i instead.

Bro so would u have gone for d audi A4 1.8 or 2.0 then?

creampuff;855566 said:
Idk what's the exact term, but I just feel that the metal feel very hollow when closing, sometimes when my friends or family members close the door hard, can really feel the bang in the car and in my heart.

When I close the A4 door, it feels heavier an easier to close. Don't have the "bang" feeling...

mayb can blame the sound insulation :laughlik:
A4 insulation good so absorbed the sound... F30 din that's why can hear and feel the bang :laughlik:

animian;855598 said:
mayb can blame the sound insulation :laughlik:
A4 insulation good so absorbed the sound... F30 din that's why can hear and feel the bang :laughlik:

Yes, I feel the F30 doors are a bit lighter than even the E90 maybe this is due to the sliming regime as it is much lighter now. Any case, the front 2 doors seems easier to close, just give a small push and it latches. The back 2 doors however, must give more strength to close.

I would have gone with the a4 2.0 quattro if the pricing was better. nobody can beat BMW's idrive though

kianliau;855962 said:
anyone got foul smell coming out from the aircon?

mine 2 weeks old, still with "new" car smell. I always keep to recirculation. Maybe that helps.

Aircon set to recirculation mode is better if u dun wan external air to mess up the smell, esp if u off it or even switch to Auto mode.

If u r worried of the air quality then air the car every weekend after u washed it well, open all the doors and boot while u clean the carpets, that shld suffice.

Foul smell can mean mould got into the system and best is to ask PML to replace the aircon filter.

When I put new car mat in my car which is from pml there's an extremely strong smell of alcohol(smell like beer). When I on my aircon, can smell the beer smell very badly. But after 2 weeks or so it died off alr

detach8;856035 said:
I would have gone with the a4 2.0 quattro if the pricing was better. nobody can beat BMW's idrive though

That time Audi was promoting their facelifted A4, 2.0 was about 220k after discount but there was a lot of problems with the new a4. Their aircon leaked pretty bad, always can see water under your car...

creampuff;856352 said:
When I put new car mat in my car which is from pml there's an extremely strong smell of alcohol(smell like beer). When I on my aircon, can smell the beer smell very badly. But after 2 weeks or so it died off alr

The 3M mat ar? I got mine washed and air-ed before putting in again, the stench is atrocious!

I not sure leh, I think is 3M. I went to get from PML. Really smells like beer when I switched on the aircon. Everybody(sitting my car) was asking if I was drink driving lol

creampuff;856402 said:
I not sure leh, I think is 3M. I went to get from PML. Really smells like beer when I switched on the aircon. Everybody(sitting my car) was asking if I was drink driving lol

shld be 3M, new mats smell like a bad beer :laughlik:

Anyone has creaking noise from the AC blowers that sound like plastic expansion / contraction? Noise seem to stop if condenser is turned off.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BettyLockwood
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back