F30 Teething Problems

For all the complains here about the F30 and other models, there is very little PML can do. The problem lies with BMW which seems to focus more on high-tech wizardry enhancements than focusing on the basic expectations of a luxury car. Every successive generation seems to be worse than the previous models in terms of wind and noise insulation and engine vibration. The QA is also slacking with rough edges starting to show up. It seems like BMW is willing to gamble with their reputation that people will continue to buy their cars because of branding.

Re: F30 Teething Problems

Guesss the F series nutshell have common wind noise problem be it F10, 20 or 30.
The E series is definately a better chassic all together.

Derrrick Yap;866784 said:
Guesss the F series nutshell have common wind noise problem be it F10, 20 or 30.
The E series is definately a better chassic all together.

The F series disappoint in the luxury components such as noise insulation...

But compared with the E series, it actually have a 30% stiffer chassis, which doesn't feel harsher then the E series at all...

E series have the stiffer steering that some like... But heavier != more feel... It's more of a preference...

All in all, the F series is more fun to drive imo...

creampuff;866614 said:
Just afew mins ago, I rmb clearly I locked my cars and all windows up. When I got back to my car, all 4 windows were down... Not sure if there was a malfunction but I rmb clearly all my windows were up. Will monitor see if happen again. Quite shocked tho

The Haunting!!!! :p

clamsgp;866655 said:
For all the complains here about the F30 and other models, there is very little PML can do. The problem lies with BMW which seems to focus more on high-tech wizardry enhancements than focusing on the basic expectations of a luxury car. Every successive generation seems to be worse than the previous models in terms of wind and noise insulation and engine vibration. The QA is also slacking with rough edges starting to show up. It seems like BMW is willing to gamble with their reputation that people will continue to buy their cars because of branding.

To solve this issue, best is to buy a cabrio! :lol::lol::lol:

Seraphblade;866794 said:
The F series disappoint in the luxury components such as noise insulation...

But compared with the E series, it actually have a 30% stiffer chassis, which doesn't feel harsher then the E series at all...

E series have the stiffer steering that some like... But heavier != more feel... It's more of a preference...

All in all, the F series is more fun to drive imo...

I find the sports mode steering good, but comfort is a tad too soft but easy to manovere, when I was using PML's X1, I like its stiff steering, feels like w/o power steering! Good!!!

tortoise;846609 said:
Wind noise etc is heng suay, some din face it with the test drive car but got it on our own.

The tyres r naturally noisy cos most using run flats nowadays

Mercs and Lexus still have full sized spare tyre.
Non runflats ... super quiet.

astrid;867021 said:
Mercs and Lexus still have full sized spare tyre.
Non runflats ... super quiet.

There's a reason why BMW went to RFTs... Because without the spare tyre, they can reduce more weight, and use that to push out more performance while maintaining within the emission criteria...

The current generation of RFTs are not too bad already... Just probably harsher... and a bit noisier...

detach8;846110 said:
Not so much of road noise (partially blame the run flats there) but the wind and especially the engine noise was apparent. The 1.8T engine in the Audi was so much smoother. It is a pity the A4 1.8T is a FWD. If they offered the 1.8T with Quattro I would have gone with the A4.

The rear doors on the F30 were also noticeably lighter and did not close with a firm thud that my old E90 320i did. IMHO the entire fit an finish of the F30 is a disappointment. The *only* improvement was the engine (over the N46 in the 320i) and the iDrive. For 328i I think the old N52 engines were better. I'm not too optimistic about the reliability of forced-induction engine ...

If you have read another thread where I gave my feedback during the initial launch of the F30, you will know why I went for the F10 instead. If given a choice and not for the completely f**ked up prices of the second hand market right now I will gladly buy an E90 323i or 325i instead.

Suggest you go test the C300 and C350.
Both NA engines, the latter with direct injection.
F/R RWD.
No run flats.
Silent.
Still solidly built in Germany.
0-100 in 6+ and sub-6 secs, respectively.

I no C&C salesman :sneaky:

Seraphblade;867025 said:
There's a reason why BMW went to RFTs... Because without the spare tyre, they can reduce more weight, and use that to push out more performance while maintaining within the emission criteria...

The current generation of RFTs are not too bad already... Just probably harsher... and a bit noisier...

And that's why I have moved away from BMW, after my last one with the venerable M52 IL6 2.5K non-Valvetronic NA engine, made in Germany.

After ZA-manufacture, Valvetronic, then RFT and now FI and electric P/S ... adios, I say to PML! :naughty:

tortoise;866893 said:
I find the sports mode steering good, but comfort is a tad too soft but easy to manovere, when I was using PML's X1, I like its stiff steering, feels like w/o power steering! Good!!!

Cos the new F are all electric P/S. Dislike :errr:

bimmerman;855259 said:
Even showed me their emails with their German counterparts, who affirmed that the diesel sounding engine is characteristic of the N20.

Meanwhile, have to turn the stereo a little louder. (now thinking of changing to better speakers rather than sound proofing

The diesel-like clatter of the N-series engine on idling is well known. Obstrusive even from the outside ... e.g. to passers by.

On the radio thingy, I thought that used to be the advise given to KIA or Lada Samara owners, when they complain about the noise level! Should not expect such things from BMW right? :p :silenced:

astrid;867039 said:
The diesel-like clatter of the N-series engine on idling is well known. Obstrusive even from the outside ... e.g. to passers by.

On the radio thingy, I thought that used to be the advise given to KIA or Lada Samara owners, when they complain about the noise level! Should not expect such things from BMW right? :p :silenced:

The diesel sound on idling happens on when the oil temp is still cold... when it's all warmed up, dun really hear that noise liao...

And the explanation can be found on bimmerpost and f30 forums... But no one seem to pinpoint it yet... It's either piston slapping (which hopefully not) or designed detonation past the exhaust valve for higher EGT to warm up the cat converter for lower emission...

Collected my F30 yesterday, drove it for about 10km and it is back in the PML now and I experienced the loaner policy i asked about in less than 3hrs of ownership.... can't believe the quality of cars these days... damn disappointed!

Basically, car stalled at one of the traffic stop and at any subsequent stop after that, the car shook violently on verge of stalling... was not even aware it stalled at the traffic light thinking it is the start/stop at work but car rolled back when i step on accelerator... then a msg appeared asking me to start engine! :furious: Totally didn't feel safe driving it at all!

SE came with a loaner at my office and wanted to drive out of carpark to meet him... guess what... the car started and lasted less than 5s before stalling for the many times i try starting it... :angry: Was told nothing showed up during PDI and SE doesn't know what is wrong as well although we suspect faulty fuel pump... my goodness... this is supposed to be a brand new car!! :screwedu:

Probably my 1st and last Sheer Driving "Pressure"... life is too short to have to deal with such nonsense...

Last edited by a moderator:

Nigel;869902 said:
Collected my F30 yesterday, drove it for about 10km and it is back in the PML now and I experienced the loaner policy i asked about in less than 3hrs of ownership.... can't believe the quality of cars these days... damn disappointed!

Basically, car stalled at one of the traffic stop and at any subsequent stop after that, the car shook violently on verge of stalling... was not even aware it stalled at the traffic light thinking it is the start/stop at work but car rolled back when i step on accelerator... then a msg appeared asking me to start engine! :furious: Totally didn't feel safe driving it at all!

SE came with a loaner at my office and wanted to drive out of carpark to meet him... guess what... the car started and lasted less than 5s before stalling for the many times i try starting it... :angry: Was told nothing showed up during PDI and SE doesn't know what is wrong as well although we suspect faulty fuel pump... my goodness... this is supposed to be a brand new car!! :screwedu:

Probably my 1st and last Sheer Driving "Pressure"... life is too short to have to deal with such nonsense...

did u have the Start/Stop function ON? It sucks btw, I got that once at a traffic U-turn and I was so engrossed in my music that I din realise the engine died off..guess my embarrassment when its my turn to make the U hahahahaa

another time was while in Eco mode and it was idling, engine stalled. I was having a smoke break when my kids knocked on the window saying the aircon was getting hot.

Its a damn stupid feature if they cant support it if u ask me :biggun:

Nigel;869902 said:

UNBELIEVABLE:ultrasho:!!!!!

After reading all the complaints on the wind noise, I prayed hard on the day i collected the F30.... Haiz luck is not on my side... driver side wind noise starts coming in at ard 80km/h.
Chrome part on rear bumper is loose after just 1 car wash session...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BettyLockwood
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back