Gearbox Solenoid Change - Jerking Problem Solved - E90

Re: Gearbox Solenoid Change - Jerking Problem Solved - E90

rioming;982774 said:
U can also try Round motor. They quote slightly lower price.

Hi Rioming,

Can you pls PM their quote?

Thanks,
Luke

Bro can PM me price and workshop?
I just had a nightmare with my WS.

I would like to express my thanks to Bro Aaron_BMW and Bro lkm for their help in introducing the Bolehland workshop to me.

I just bought a E90 on 3rd May and subsequently the Solenoid seems to have an issue. I tried to "Tong a while" as the error will always go off after I restart the car.

However, last week around 29th of May the error was permanently on and that I quickly made an appointment with Bolehland garage. Drove the car in on 31st of May.

Lucky thing is , once I reached the place, shut down the engine and it cannot start anymore. They pushed the car and did a check. codes cannot be retrieved at this point of time as the engine seems not possible to start. So Solenoids was changed first.

After changed, the was error communicating to the gearbox. Therefore the whole Mechatronics was changed(He never charged me the installed new Solenoids which was taken out). At 7pm plus plus it was done and he did a test drive after the communications was established between OBD reader and gearbox. Came back and told me cannot, clutch got problem, next week then can collect.

During his clutch fix, he called me again say my torque convertor was burnt, needed a replacement. Got a second hand one and proceeded.

After all the ordeal of checking and fixing, yesterday I went to test drove the car. The gear changing became very responsive.

I was happy that the problem was solved. And after reading the posts here, I know the rates he charged me was already very very cheap. I saved probably about $2,000 to $3,000 approx.

What I have learnt :

- Never procrastinate on this car. Got error quickly go fix, especially on Solenoids issues.
- Never go to a garage without a proper OBD reader. He will never be as good without it.
- This Bolehland garage is really good and I will definitely go back to him when I have my issues.

Brandonz, lucky u reach there in time.
Do Francis consider this as a complete overhaul?
How much did he charge? Pls PM me. Tks

Btw ur dealer did not given u any warranty?

Its a difficult thing for me to do.

When STA check was done, it was C. So I proposed going to a garage check. After the check, dealer paid for the air-con and water works while I paid for some Oil leak fix. Agreement was I fix wear n tear he fix spoiled issues.

We both know there is a Solenoid issue but I agreed to take the Solenoid Problem. Didn't know it will escalate to this in 3 weeks.

eddienike;1000559 said:
Btw ur dealer did not given u any warranty?

Good to hear your problem well taken care of at Francis WS.

The tranny issue probably is the most expensive issue to fix on the e90.

Shocked to hear your tranny died totally after you took over your car for just one month. What is your mileage at that point?

There will be other wear and tear issues but they are alot cheaper to fix.

WCA is good as intro by bro_lkm when I first got my e90 as well :)
Locally, R2D in Woodlands and BVO in Sin Ming are equally competent as you need good mechanics to keep your e90 in top top running condition.

Brandonz;1000604 said:
Its a difficult thing for me to do.

When STA check was done, it was C. So I proposed going to a garage check. After the check, dealer paid for the air-con and water works while I paid for some Oil leak fix. Agreement was I fix wear n tear he fix spoiled issues.

We both know there is a Solenoid issue but I agreed to take the Solenoid Problem. Didn't know it will escalate to this in 3 weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mileage was around 110,000. Initially wanted to rest a while at customs because I saw gear temperature warning popped up.

But moved on after suddenly the warning sign came off when I blasted the air-con(I myself felt too hot at customs that day). Luckily never stop and rest if not car stuck at customs

Well at least now I can properly do some revving on the car haha. Trying to get used to the pricing of the costs of maintaining this car.

canuck78;1000639 said:
Good to hear your problem well taken care of at Francis WS.

The tranny issue probably is the most expensive issue to fix on the e90.

Shocked to hear your tranny died totally after you took over your car for just one month. What is your mileage at that point?

There will be other wear and tear issues but they are alot cheaper to fix.

WCA is good as intro by bro_lkm when I first got my e90 as well :)
Locally, R2D in Woodlands and BVO in Sin Ming are equally competent as you need good mechanics to keep your e90 in top top running condition.

Around 100k km is usually where all these problems starts or around 5/6 year old mark.

I have yet to change my solenoids, but has done an ATF change around 20-30k ago.

So a bit of jerking from 2nd down to 1st when decelerating from certain speeds.

Brandonz;1001661 said:
Mileage was around 110,000. Initially wanted to rest a while at customs because I saw gear temperature warning popped up.

But moved on after suddenly the warning sign came off when I blasted the air-con(I myself felt too hot at customs that day). Luckily never stop and rest if not car stuck at customs

Well at least now I can properly do some revving on the car haha. Trying to get used to the pricing of the costs of maintaining this car.

rvt;999217 said:
Bro can PM me price and workshop?
I just had a nightmare with my WS.

Ok, I already PM u.
What is the nightmare u had???

Brandonz;1000545 said:
I would like to express my thanks to Bro Aaron_BMW and Bro lkm for their help in introducing the Bolehland workshop to me.

I just bought a E90 on 3rd May and subsequently the Solenoid seems to have an issue. I tried to "Tong a while" as the error will always go off after I restart the car.

However, last week around 29th of May the error was permanently on and that I quickly made an appointment with Bolehland garage. Drove the car in on 31st of May.

Lucky thing is , once I reached the place, shut down the engine and it cannot start anymore. They pushed the car and did a check. codes cannot be retrieved at this point of time as the engine seems not possible to start. So Solenoids was changed first.

After changed, the was error communicating to the gearbox. Therefore the whole Mechatronics was changed(He never charged me the installed new Solenoids which was taken out). At 7pm plus plus it was done and he did a test drive after the communications was established between OBD reader and gearbox. Came back and told me cannot, clutch got problem, next week then can collect.

During his clutch fix, he called me again say my torque convertor was burnt, needed a replacement. Got a second hand one and proceeded.

After all the ordeal of checking and fixing, yesterday I went to test drove the car. The gear changing became very responsive.

I was happy that the problem was solved. And after reading the posts here, I know the rates he charged me was already very very cheap. I saved probably about $2,000 to $3,000 approx.

What I have learnt :

- Never procrastinate on this car. Got error quickly go fix, especially on Solenoids issues.
- Never go to a garage without a proper OBD reader. He will never be as good without it.
- This Bolehland garage is really good and I will definitely go back to him when I have my issues.

When I read this post, tears flow down unknowingly

Aaron_BMW;1002277 said:
When I read this post, tears flow down unknowingly

Wa. Aaron so emo.
Careful if tears wet the floor. Very slippery.

Brandon: happy for you.

Yeah, went through quite a steep learning curve. Lucky I drove a Wrx earlier and was used to extended times of my car in the garage for moddings. If not I don't know how I can go through this. 1 Week without smelling the car's smell.....really makes me feel damn lost and shitty.

Well, I hope I can have the opportunity to buy a 335 in a few years time(Next dream car). This experience gave me a good benchmark on basic understanding of the BMW engineering. This forum with the many helpful bros, visits to the right garage really helps a lot in this context.

Oh Ya Bro Aaron, many thanks again.

:)

Meek;1002286 said:
Wa. Aaron so emo.
Careful if tears wet the floor. Very slippery.
Brandon: happy for you.

Brandonz;1003175 said:
Yeah, went through quite a steep learning curve. Lucky I drove a Wrx earlier and was used to extended times of my car in the garage for moddings. If not I don't know how I can go through this. 1 Week without smelling the car's smell.....really makes me feel damn lost and shitty.

Well, I hope I can have the opportunity to buy a 335 in a few years time(Next dream car). This experience gave me a good benchmark on basic understanding of the BMW engineering. This forum with the many helpful bros, visits to the right garage really helps a lot in this context.

Fellow WRX to 3 series driver! Hi!

Just get WCA to do a detailed check and write a list of parts u need to replace, at your car's age common items would be:

1. Oil Sump Gasket
2. Valve Seals
3. Flywheel Oil Seal
4. Cooling System.
5. Oil/Air Separator
6. Valve Cover Gasket
7. Valvetronic
8. Vanos Oil Seals

@_@"' this list looks like quite a lot....lol

Talking about Vanos, E90 PFL is what VANOS(single/double/no vanos?)? I tried to do a search but the search returns are quite messy and that most people out there don't talk so much about 2,000cc E90(correct me if I am wrong on the E90 is not = 2,000cc)

Time do up a checklist and buy the parts first haha

1. Oil Sump Gasket
2. Valve Seals
3. Flywheel Oil Seal
4. Cooling System.
5. Oil/Air Separator
6. Valve Cover Gasket
7. Valvetronic
8. Vanos Oil Seals

mercur1al;1003207 said:
Fellow WRX to 3 series driver! Hi!

Just get WCA to do a detailed check and write a list of parts u need to replace, at your car's age common items would be:

1. Oil Sump Gasket
2. Valve Seals
3. Flywheel Oil Seal
4. Cooling System.
5. Oil/Air Separator
6. Valve Cover Gasket
7. Valvetronic
8. Vanos Oil Seals

Brandonz;1003175 said:

u making me cry again.......
please feed back when u solve the problems so others know

Brandonz;1004806 said:
@_@"' this list looks like quite a lot....lol

Talking about Vanos, E90 PFL is what VANOS(single/double/no vanos?)? I tried to do a search but the search returns are quite messy and that most people out there don't talk so much about 2,000cc E90(correct me if I am wrong on the E90 is not = 2,000cc)

Time do up a checklist and buy the parts first haha

1. Oil Sump Gasket
2. Valve Seals
3. Flywheel Oil Seal
4. Cooling System.
5. Oil/Air Separator
6. Valve Cover Gasket
7. Valvetronic
8. Vanos Oil Seals

please try RealOEM.com Online BMW Parts Catalog

'm going to JB to do up my solenoid next week, any bros intending too?
lets head in together..

rt4ouredz;1007296 said:
'm going to JB to do up my solenoid next week, any bros intending too?
lets head in together..

Hi! Considering going up too. Where are you going to buy the parts?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
45678biz
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back