Gearbox Solenoid Change - Jerking Problem Solved - E90

Re: Gearbox Solenoid Change - Jerking Problem Solved - E90

Hi All,

Just bought 07 e90, need help from all here. May I know if shifting between P,R,N,P is smooth or with some slight "tong"? initially thought its all normal but after reading posts here, I am starting to get worried. Sale person told me all wear and tear parts changed. Movement wise is smooth except a little jerk moving from 1st gear to 2nd. HELP!!!

My E60 the shift between P, R, N no tong sound. Smooth engagement. Only when I stomp on the accelerator then let go then stomp again I experience jerk.

Should be smooth when new or after required servicing done.

Slight tong sound may indicate valve body or solenoids wear and tear which is normal for e90 for your car age.

Bring to reputable WS to check or wait until next servicing to check. Diagnostic values from the car computer can be pulled out to assess its condition. No need to worry if it's still working well.

wegona;1091101 said:
Hi All,

Just bought 07 e90, need help from all here. May I know if shifting between P,R,N,P is smooth or with some slight "tong"? initially thought its all normal but after reading posts here, I am starting to get worried. Sale person told me all wear and tear parts changed. Movement wise is smooth except a little jerk moving from 1st gear to 2nd. HELP!!!

Simeon;1091096 said:
I am driving a 2008 320i with GM gearbox. I recently started to experience jerking at low gear change...from 1st to 2nd gear. Workshop told me it's mechatronic problem and need to replace. He also mention that GM transmission doesn't have solenoid like ZF transmission, therefore need to change the entire mechatronic. Is this true?

Before jumping into changing the entire mechatronics - Scan for codes.

You could try a reset or else a software upgrade first.

Fyi - When you change the mechatronics - coding and recalibration is needed.

Gearbox Solenoid Change - Jerking Problem Solved - E90

wegona;1091101 said:
Hi All,

Its not suppose to go "tong" as in you can hear the jerk verses feeling a gear change from the engine tone .......

Get it scanned for codes or live data read if its a concern.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks for all replies, feel more at ease now..hope repair is not too costly..any good ws to recommend? Might just send in for a peace of mind. Thx in advance!

Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the great post. I have a 2nd hand Dec 2007 e93 and start to experience jerking during stop. Does not
always happen but at times.

I am not sure whether the problems are the solenoid? Are the parts same as your e90?
Can PM me the parts place and address/contact for the MY workshop?

Thanks.

adamaw;1101031 said:
Hi Aaron,

Thanks for the great post. I have a 2nd hand Dec 2007 e93 and start to experience jerking during stop. Does not
always happen but at times.

I am not sure whether the problems are the solenoid? Are the parts same as your e90?
Can PM me the parts place and address/contact for the MY workshop?

Thanks.

Ok. PM U later...........

Dear Guys,

Need some advise here...

Car: E90 320i, 2007, Mileage 45K, Solenoid changed on 20K.

Previously i changed the solenoid is becos of the from moving to stop, it has a jerk everytime. After changing, no more problem. For about 1yr 4months or 25K mileage.

Now i am experiencing from stop to move off, First 3 gear change, it has a jerk or delay gear engagement. Delay gear engagement, meaning when some time hard accelerate from move off, during the process of gear change you can see the rpm shoot up as if you are driving a manual car depressing the clutch without letting go the accelerator.

Please advise.... thank you

BMW-GK;1102119 said:
Dear Guys,

Need some advise here...

Previously i changed the solenoid is becos of the from moving to stop, it has a jerk everytime. After changing, no more problem. For about 1yr 4months or 25K mileage.

Now i am experiencing from stop to move off, First 3 gear change, it has a jerk or delay gear engagement. Delay gear engagement, meaning when some time hard accelerate from move off, during the process of gear change you can see the rpm shoot up as if you are driving a manual car depressing the clutch without letting go the accelerator.

Ur mileage is so low and has so much problems?
Change solenoids at only 20K KM is very fast. The jerking problem usually kicks in at 140K KM mileage.
Anyone here has similar experiences as his?
Please have it inspected at workshop and let us know what is wrong.

BMW-GK;1102119 said:
Dear Guys,

Need some advise here...

Did you installed any sprint booster?

Nope.. no sprint booster.

I got WS to check with autologic today. It the clutch engagement timing, WS reset it to 0.. everything is OK now.

I want to ask, is this normal ? how come it will change ? becos of problem with clutch or what ?

Any advise ?

Hi everyone, my 2007 E90 (coming to 130km) is starting to get the dreaded Red Gear sign recently. From this tread it seems there are a couple of WS that are quite experienced at fixing this problem. Would much appreciate if any bros can kindly PM me their contacts. Thanks!

BMW-GK;1102291 said:
Nope.. no sprint booster.

I got WS to check with autologic today. It the clutch engagement timing, WS reset it to 0.. everything is OK now.

I want to ask, is this normal ? how come it will change ? becos of problem with clutch or what ?

Any advise ?

Have U found the problem?
Share in our forum ?

twizter8;1108198 said:
Hi everyone, my 2007 E90 (coming to 130km) is starting to get the dreaded Red Gear sign recently. From this tread it seems there are a couple of WS that are quite experienced at fixing this problem. Would much appreciate if any bros can kindly PM me their contacts. Thanks!

PM me if u need the contacts.....
Red means bad compare to yellow which means warning

Hi all, I went thru this post as my 2008 E92 experienced mild vibrating (i wont really say jerking) as if driving on the road shoulder strips occasionally. After which i sent in for regular servicing with PML and they replaced a engine valve.

After getting my car back, it was slightly better and the vibration doesnt come in as much and is much milder but I know its there. I sent the car in again for them to check and they came back to say my gearbox needs replacement, and i have since taken the car back and the problems seems a lot worse than before my servicing...

Im not really sure if its a gearbox problem as the vibrations doesnt seem to occur when changing gears. It occurs v randomly e.g when driving on highway at steady speed of 80km/h 1500rpm, or 50-60km/h etc
Doesnt seem to occur when i stop or start nor does the car jerk.

Anyone has encountered similar problems or know what seems to be the cause of such a problem?

Thanks!

violets;1109675 said:
Hi all, I went thru this post as my 2008 E92 experienced mild vibrating (i wont really say jerking) as if driving on the road shoulder strips occasionally. After which i sent in for regular servicing with PML and they replaced a engine valve.

After getting my car back, it was slightly better and the vibration doesnt come in as much and is much milder but I know its there. I sent the car in again for them to check and they came back to say my gearbox needs replacement, and i have since taken the car back and the problems seems a lot worse than before my servicing...

Im not really sure if its a gearbox problem as the vibrations doesnt seem to occur when changing gears. It occurs v randomly e.g when driving on highway at steady speed of 80km/h 1500rpm, or 50-60km/h etc

Anyone has encountered similar problems or know what seems to be the cause of such a problem?

Thanks!

Is this happen especially when the first 10-15min of driving after long lay off (more than 4-5hrs)?
I have similar same problem.

violets, I had a 2008 E90, and last year it developed similar symptoms occurring as you described. It was a sort of low frequency rumble, when trying to accelerate from "steady speed of 80km/h 1500rpm, or 50-60km/h." The rumble would go away after accelerating through to higher speed.

PML had no idea what the trouble was. First they changed ignition coils to no effect. Then they updated/refreshed software(whatever that means) which also did not work. Last resort they suggested was change gearbox which I think would make them very happy - 10G; or change solenoid assembly or housing(both my words) which would make them a little happy.

So I went to Eurokars(I think) in AMK. I described the problem to the foreman there and he said straightaway that the transmission oil needed to be changed, although PML says the transmission oil is for life (believable?). A test drive replicating the low frequency vibration confirmed to the foreman the problem as he suspected earlier.

I have read in other forums of similar problems and the owners have solved it by changing trans oil or adding trans oil treatment or some additive.

So I would suggest changing your transmission oil, at least it is a cheaper attempt to solve the problem, instead of resorting to changing the gearbox.

Do let us know how you solve this issue.

violets;1109675 said:

Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choangclubcfd
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back