Ignition Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ignition Upgrades

MW;611006 said:
Same goes for Juicebox/Powerbox and Velocity and previously Sprint Booster but I only see people praising them like they were (or still are) shark's fin for BMW engines...

Yup, but throttle curve modifiers do not claim to add power - only speed of actual throttle opening relative to throttle pedal which changes the feel of the car. Their function can be proven by logging throttle pedal position vs throttle plate position and the difference will show. You can also look at longitudinal acceleration in a given gear, given throttle pedal position, and see a change, which is the change in feel that drivers describe. Nothing physically illogical, no deceptive marketing.

Various piggybacks, reflashes and chips have at different times been tested to show power gains of varying degree, but at least they have been tested and gain quantified.

Shaun, wouldn't a bigger electric charge result in a bigger spark? And wouldn't a bigger spark result in a faster and more complete burn of the fuel-air charge? And if it does result in a faster burn, would that need ignition timing adjustment to be properly optimised?

And of course....wouldn't the addition of capacitors result in a bigger electric charge from the coils?

Last edited by a moderator:

yes, faster yes, more complete depends, yes, yes

Could go on forever arguing either way and it will never end because combustion dynamics are complex and different engines have different layouts. Just like arguing how a marginally different tire construction or groove arrangement can help grip in the dry or in the wet and you can argue it back and forth because tire dynamics are complex.

In these cases, however, the proper tests to prove that the claimed gains are beyond insignificant (enough to show up repeatably), are thankfully very cheap to run and not time or manpower intensive. Why the tests never have been conducted, or take years to happen, is easy to come to conclusion on if one is thinking critically.

Shaun;614501 said:
yes, faster yes, more complete depends, yes, yes

Could go on forever arguing either way and it will never end because combustion dynamics are complex and different engines have different layouts. Just like arguing how a marginally different tire construction or groove arrangement can help grip in the dry or in the wet and you can argue it back and forth because tire dynamics are complex.

In these cases, however, the proper tests to prove that the claimed gains are beyond insignificant (enough to show up repeatably), are thankfully very cheap to run and not time or manpower intensive. Why the tests never have been conducted, or take years to happen, is easy to come to conclusion on if one is thinking critically.

Validation and verification is a good thing. Coupled with research and some vigilience it will go a long way to performance.

Any views about the dyno environments in Singapore ?

Red_Bean_Bun;614514 said:
Validation and verification is a good thing. Coupled with research and some vigilience it will go a long way to performance.

Any views about the dyno environments in Singapore ?

Yes as posted before on older thread.. http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/engine-performance-transmission-section/44309-obd-tuning.html

Regardless of who tunes your engine, it is important to dyno at a location that does not know the anything about the car history. Not what's been done to it, what's going to be done to it, who did or who will do the work, etc. The dyno operator is only supposed to dyno it, period.

Ideally the dyno location should be a place neither pro nor anti the garage where you got your work done. This way even if they do hear of the car's history, they are the least likely to inflate or deflate numbers.

If you want an accurate idea of % gain or loss, never dyno your car where you tune it, and never use a location that your tuner specifically recommends. Use other locations that are blind, objective, and repeatable.

====

Originally Posted by davidtch
Shaun, any good place to recommend?
--------------------------------------------------

Not cheap, but Subaru in Toa Payoh... dyno dynamics dyno on the top floor in the coolest dyno cell in SG.. nice knowledgeable operator, plus since it's not a workshop, there's almost no chance of workshop to workshop politic-ing and messing around with numbers.

Do a before and after dyno to look at % gain. At no point should you express excitement or speak / hint at/of what was done or what you're going to do, where you get your work done etc. Just dyno it.

And don't tell your workshop or tuner when you're going to dyno it or even that you're going to at some point. Just get the work done, and get the dyno done, completely separately, no info/hints/lead-ons/expressions of expectation, excitement, etc. at either location.

Log oil and water temps on dyno too. Try and do the runs in as close a state as possible...including weather at the time. Corrections are not as ideal as running in similar conditions.
===

If dyno runs are deemed expensive, do acceleration runs with a gps logger. There are easily 10 brands on the market to choose from. Many have them already and will lend for free. Minimize variables, and do multiple runs both ways to any eliminate wind and gradient variable. Take run averages. Again have a small hand held weather station for air conditions at the time and log water and oil temps. Or at least check that they're the same before starting the set of runs.

Proving a new level of power is very easy and cheap. There is no excuse not to. If no difference can be seen in the before and after tests, well then.. you've wasted your time and money.

Shaun;610894 said:
So between November last year when you said "Hi, so far we have yet to see 1 capacitor fail and those on my car are still working after 4 years.", and today, you've had 2 failed capacitors?

Hmm...food for thought.

R2D;610738 said:
...Why do manufacturers abstain from such mods, well the capacitors are electrolytic in manufacturing and there will be failures of such components. I will be frank and tell you, so far there have been 2 cars with a failed capacitor each but these drivers did not even complain, it was during routine maintenance that i spotted the failures and replace them...

May I know if there's a more effective way to know if these capacitors have failed? I had them installed together with those Volker spark plugs changed at your place some time ago.

What's the point of paying for such capacitors to be installed, and having one or more of it malfunction during the lifespan of the spark plugs (ie. 100,000km or about up to 3yrs), without knowing about it, and thereby losing one's investment on it?

Care to comment? Cos now I'm having some serious doubts. Thanks!

If the capacitors resulted in more power and all these drivers can feel it, how is it when these capacitor fail, the drivers don't report it and Rodney has to discover it only during routine maintenance?

This supports the point about driver feel being completely inaccurate.

Wow, this is cool, there are 2 split camps of this mod....

This is a case of damn if i do and damn if i don't...

Let say I do the dyno under the "controlled" environment and the difference is 4Nm and 2HP....The comment will come back saying that the difference is too little to quantify, temps not the same, air pressure not the same, fuel not the same, blah blah blah and that variance is not large enough to prove that the ignition upgrade is a helper....in the process, i lose $300 and a shit load of my time. Are you going to pay for my time? I am not going to go down that road.

It is useless for you to insult me and instigate me to react. I will not even extend a free trial to you cos this will also waste my time.

What you reply in the earlier posts are talking about absolute numbers that can be measured on an engine dyno through a load cell where grams of torque can be measured and ALL parameters taken into account. In this little red dot, there is no facility able to satisfactorily measure these small increments.

There are people suggesting that way more power is availble through other means other than forced induction and Volumetric Efficiency changes, why don't you go knocking on those doors? 40 plus pages and you say everybody's butt is not sensitive and emphrical proof is required. So are you going to ask all car manufacturers to proof that their engines produce a solid amount of HP as stipulated in the brochuer?

When i mentioned that in Nov there was no failures, i meant it..... The 2 cars that was detected came in Jan this year. This statement also has to be highlighted by you. What this represents of your intentions cannot be passed over. A lot of things can be classified under "as a principle" and "I am only looking for the truth". I have had countless good reviews and people who like it. I am not about to go changing the formula of my principles and operation concept.

Did the owners tell you specifically that they did not feel a thing? I suspect not cos they spoke to me. Did the car fail on them? Nope, the car drove in on its own power. Was there a catastrophic failure, nope..Did i charge them for it? Nope..... Was there a difference when they got back their car? Yes...Were you there? Nope.

As for building a larger coil to go up into the engine cover, why not? The laminated soft iron core cannot be made into a complex shape and machine windings is the only fast and cheap way of making a transformer. Can you find race coils? Can, look for okada and ask them for a price. After that, dun turn back.

Bottom line.....want to mod, mod lah... Dun want to mod, don't mod....

To the rest of the people that supported me, R2D thanks you and will still support you.

If i do not get back soon, i am sorry cos we are really busy.

Cheers

Nice discussion going on....however, would like to point out to Rodney that placebo effect and herd mentality can go a very very long way.

Having said that, I can vouch that Rodney is a very honest, down to earth guy and has the best intentions for your car.

Shaun..don't blast me for my one liners..

R2D;616013 said:
Let say I do the dyno under the "controlled" environment and the difference is 4Nm and 2HP....The comment will come back saying that the difference is too little to quantify, temps not the same, air pressure not the same, fuel not the same, blah blah blah and that variance is not large enough to prove that the ignition upgrade is a helper....in the process, i lose $300 and a shit load of my time. Are you going to pay for my time? I am not going to go down that road.

It's easy to do 3 pulls stock, 3 pulls with stuff done, and take the average. Conditions can in fact be the same, and whatever little difference there is will be taken care of by corrections. It's all a matter of whether you desire to do it or not.. that's all.

But also... why so little faith in the mod? If 8 out of 10 of your customers are reporting all this responsiveness, acceleration, etc. and considering how subjective human feel is, isn't there a better chance you will see 12Nm and 7hp instead? Better yet.. test this ignition thing with volker plug and whatever special oils, together to increase the delta, and then sell it as a package based on its performance.

The guys who have done it and the guys considering doing it will be curious to get it tested no? If 15 guys chip in a little, doesn't that raise the $300 for the dyno?

If there is no $300 for the dyno, how about acceleration runs averaged? Which is also a controlled test...

It is useless for you to insult me and instigate me to react. I will not even extend a free trial to you cos this will also waste my time.
Please don't get emotional, no one has insulted you personally. People are discussing test processes and logic, concepts.

What you reply in the earlier posts are talking about absolute numbers that can be measured on an engine dyno through a load cell where grams of torque can be measured and ALL parameters taken into account. In this little red dot, there is no facility able to satisfactorily measure these small increments.
But the gain has to be bigger than grams of torque to be picked up by so many drivers feeling this and that no?

If I sell a pill you can drop in your fuel tank that I say will improve power and torque, and 20 of my pill fans go around announcing they can feel the change and I pat them on the back and am happy for them, it would be so strange that when asked for quantification I say I would need a sensitive enough AVL engine dyno that doesn't exist on this little island, in order to quantify the gain. So humans are more sensitive than AVL dynos? Or I'm paying how much for a pill that might provide a benefit small enough only to be picked up by the most sensitive dynos in the world? Does any of that make sense at all?

It's like saying.. "ok I'll set up your car or teach you how to drive around this track better, and you will in fact go faster, but you will need to be super consistent to see an improvement, and you will need a transponder that reads down to 0.00001 sec, not just 0.001 sec because the increment is very fine and very special. Such transponders don't exist locally and cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, so you can't really test it. But just trust me, and feel your time improve. It's definitely worth your $ X , just trust what you feel. Your feel is more accurate than a 0.001 sec resolution transponder."

There are people suggesting that way more power is availble through other means other than forced induction and Volumetric Efficiency changes, why don't you go knocking on those doors? 40 plus pages and you say everybody's butt is not sensitive and emphrical proof is required. So are you going to ask all car manufacturers to proof that their engines produce a solid amount of HP as stipulated in the brochuer?
FI, etc. has been done and tested so many times and always provides increases roughly proportional to increase in charge density, within broad limits.

No point questioning car manufacturers either because they can be sued for overdeclaring things. I recall a case before where it happened and they had to revise what they said.

In any case, neither group is suggesting anything that does not make logical sense. Both groups do dyno test too... it's just not the same as this situation here.

I have had countless good reviews and people who like it. I am not about to go changing the formula of my principles and operation concept.
It just so happens that powerbalance wrist bands also had countless good reviews and people who like it. They are not changing their formula or operational concepts. They make good money doing what they do :)

Did the owners tell you specifically that they did not feel a thing?
Well if they had felt a thing, why did you say you picked it out only during routine maintenance? If they had felt a thing and reported it, you would have specifically checked it, and not just happened to find it during routine maintenance.

Bottom line.....want to mod, mod lah... Dun want to mod, don't mod....
If you believe in powerbalance wrist bands, then just get it.
Don't believe it in it, don't want it, then don't get it.. simple.

How dare anyone question, suggest a test, or test powerbalance wrist bands? Especially with so many good reviews from people who feel this and that? Don't be surprised if power balance the company ignores a query from you as an individual, they're really busy.. raking in the money from sale of untested unquantified wrist bands.

The president of powerbalance I'm sure can get hundreds of his friends to vouch for his character.

I dunno phd level theory about body fields and frequencies and holograms, and I don't know the president to a good level (except as a paying customer in reality, though he may try and convince me otherwise), so I am not interested in the high end theory, or in the vouching for personality.

I just want to see a group of controlled tests - whether it costs $20 or $300 . Of the hundreds or thousands out there with the magic... I don't buy that either sum is too much for a test. A positive quantified test leads to much more sales = more money = more freedom to develop new technologies, to test them better, to market them better, take better vacations, etc.

How about this:

Get 10 similiar stock cars with owners who are familiar with them and install 5 of them with the capacitor and another 5 with a dummy that does nothing w/o hinting to the owners which of their cars are the ones installed with the capacitor. Would be better if the installer himself is independent and doesn't know which are the dummies, only an independent observer would know this infomation. Let them drive it for a week and see which ones swear that they feel a difference.

marklee;616047 said:
How about this:

Get 10 similiar stock cars with owners who are familiar with them and install 5 of them with the capacitor and another 5 with a dummy that does nothing w/o hinting to the owners which of their cars are the ones installed with the capacitor. Would be better if the installer himself is independent and doesn't know which are the dummies, only an independent observer would know this infomation. Let them drive it for a week and see which ones swear that they feel a difference.

Hi Mark, the coordination and deciding which independent to use, finding the 10 who are willing, etc. is all just way more complicated than the simpler tests that have been mentioned in this thread.

Shaun;616053 said:
Hi Mark, the coordination and deciding which independent to use, finding the 10 who are willing, etc. is all just way more complicated than the simpler tests that have been mentioned in this thread.

Agreed that it would be much more complicated to arrange. I only saw your previous posting after my posting. Well just trying to give some feedback since cost was one of the considerations brought up by Rodney.

The cost of doing a few logged runs in both directions, in similar conditions, is under $100..

Shaun;616066 said:
The cost of doing a few logged runs in both directions, in similar conditions, is under $100..

Cool...had no idea that loggers can be pretty cheap

There are easily over 100 performance enthusiasts in Singapore with loggers. Many of them will lend a logger out to an acquaintance for a day, for free since it's not a wear item, and tests determining what really works and what doesn't, are always interesting.

Having said so much you still insist on figures and compare this to the power balance bracelet. You make such a "valid" point. It is from this negative vibe that is pervasive in all the posts that makes proof pointless. If you are looking for the silver lining you will find it. Whatever facts come out there will be ways to disregard results.

R2D;616079 said:
Whatever facts come out there will be ways to disregard results.

Within broad limits, you and I and many others, know this is not true.

When FI stuff is tested by 12 people independently on 3 different dynos and power gain ranges from 50-62 hp, we know with a high degree of certainty that this FI kit costing $X will yield a 50-62 hp improvement.

When a semi slick tire is tested by 30 different drivers at the same track, in different cars, and improvement ranges from 3 - 5 seconds a lap, we know with a high degree of certainty that a set of semi slicks costing $Y are worth 3 -5 seconds a lap vs a typical street tire.

Anyone is free to "disregard the results" of 12/12 or 30/30 drivers, but if they were to mention it publicly, they would be by each group (the ones who've done the actual dynoing and test laps), asked for proof to the contrary. If there was none provided, the rational community would no longer take them seriously and simply disregard anything they say from that point on.

"I sell FI kits that have been dyno tested by 12 out of 12 independent buyers to yield between 50-62 hp on their 325i" is entirely different from "I sell FI kits that 32 buyers feel and are very sure, increased their 325i's power by a lot." This is basic science no?

It is absolutely false that solid results can be disregarded at will, without penalty, loss of credibility, etc. To lean on something so untrue, shows other problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whiteislandcharter
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back