Ignition Upgrades

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Ignition Upgrades

ryan;635614 said:
Hi all,

I've closed this thread earlier to allow for some time for both parties to cool off.

After some discussion with the both parties, I've decided to put my car up as a guinea pig as a test car with proper conditions. Nothing new since I've done dyno runs for my exhaust systems. Till the tests and dyno charts are out - hang on tight everyone.

Do keep the discussions open and we'll see what turns out soon. :)

Good to hear some middle ground has been found.

Even better, let's extend this same standard of independent assessment to all similar performance related products for sale on the forum.

Oh... btw, if you guys happen to need an Automatic BMW guinea pig.
Let me know, I'd be happy volunteer :)

ryan;635614 said:
Hi all,

I've closed this thread earlier to allow for some time for both parties to cool off.

After some discussion with the both parties, I've decided to put my car up as a guinea pig as a test car with proper conditions. Nothing new since I've done dyno runs for my exhaust systems. Till the tests and dyno charts are out - hang on tight everyone.

Do keep the discussions open and we'll see what turns out soon. :)

Good on you Ryan !

better make sure than shaun is there as witness...

jinooi;636312 said:
better make sure than shaun is there as witness...

Amen to that cos there'll be no end to this if he's not there.

It's like a little proof of concept .......... if he's not there then have to have some expectation set on paper witnessed by a third party.

No I can't be there as a witness, I want to stick my fingers in my ears, bury my head in the sand, and believe forever that certain mods are just bad and will never work, despite any and all evidence. Haha just kidding.. though some people are the same way when it comes to even testing something to find out if it's true. Think about it :D

ryan;635614 said:
Hi all,

Who needed cooling off? All was cool on my end. Hmm...

I've decided to put my car up as a guinea pig as a test car with proper conditions.
It's so strange that if you were to ask just about anyone how to conduct a truly unbiased test of a group of say vacuum cleaners, or running shoes, to find the best one in specific ways, they would not have any problem at all suggesting an effective and practical test to conduct. Yet when it comes to this thing people call performance, there are no proper, practical tests suggested, and none conducted. Jinooi and Rodders make no useful suggestions for a solid test so come to conclusion on the issue. All they know is they have a friend, and they will stick up for a friend whether or not what he does works.

Currently my only question is: How long does it take to disable the ignition mod, and how long to enable?

One would think that because it is electrical in nature it should be quick to disable and enable. The answer will determine test procedure. Most of the basics will be the same regardless. It would be great if anyone could suggest a few conditions. I have around 15 simple, cheap, practical ones to list off the top of my head, but it's better if the more objective guys here write some so it's not just about "tyrant shaun dictating everything".

==

Ryan, I still think you're crazy wanting to do this on an M engine. It's good that it's a manual car though. A manual 3 or 52x would be better if they exist. Any volunteers? Showroom stock or near showroom stock ones preferred.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shaun, up til today, I am just a nickname to all of you. I have not attended any meetups (though I thought it will be great if I do one day), not get into any buddy buddy with anyone (glad about that too) and have no inclination towards you or R2D. I have also not done any mod from R2D so I believe my comment on this fiasco will be completely neutral from a reader's perspective.

Reading through all these pages, the feeling is that you simply want to challenge the effectiveness of R2D's ignition upgrade mod but you have no intention of being anywhere near to verify the results in an open and unbiased environment. Instead, you now question how long it takes to enable/ disable the mod. WTF! Didn't you question how R2D is going to prove that the ignition upgrade will increase the power of the car? If you want him to prove, he has agreed but now you "roti prata" him and everyone else following this thread. I had not expected this, to be honest.

Chronology of events (exciting isn't it?)
1. War of words and theories after theories get thrown at us, the readers. You started it, remember?
2. More war of words and trading of insults. Again, you started it with the offensive cartoon, remember?
3. The good moderator, Ryan, stepped in and brokered a neutral experiment. He also agreed to use his car for the dyno before and after.
4. You now have 15 simple conditions to suggest to do the test! In any dyno environment, no single condition is ever going to be the same. I am a noob with mods and dyno so I am sure you know better than I!

What is it about R2D you want to "expose"? Why not the seller of sprint booster? Why not sellers of performance air filter? Why not sellers of performance exhaust? Why R2D's ignition mod?

I once challenged someone who said changing to stiffer engine mounts will increase the power of the car. At the end of the day, some say perception of power and some said that stiffer mounts prevented torque losses. I did not pursue and decided to let the matter rest because people following the subject will eventually make a decision for themselves.

We all come into the forum to learn something or exchange information simply because money is a limited resource. We don't have to, individually, spend money to find out about something when we can all pool together the information from those who have tried so that all can benefit from the experience. However, you have taken this matter so far and the other party is game to do a before and after dyno at a neutral workshop. I think you should be present to see the mod and dyno from start to end. Personally, I would like to know if that mod works.

So, will you do us a favor by sticking to the "crusade" you have started and work with Ryan and R2D to close this "pain-in-the-ass" issue? If you are right, you are right and if you are wrong, you are wrong. Nothing wrong with that!

Sorry to all for making you read the long comments. Thank you.

Shaun;636346 said:
Who needed cooling off? All was cool on my end. Hmm...

Jinooi and Rodders make no useful suggestions for a solid test so come to conclusion on the issue. All they know is they have a friend, and they will stick up for a friend whether or not what he does works.

Ryan, I still think you're crazy wanting to do this on an M engine. It's good that it's a manual car though. A manual 3 or 52x would be better if they exist. Any volunteers? Showroom stock or near showroom stock ones preferred.

contrary to what you have been saying, i've been seeing results after what rod has done to my car, and i'm not the only one. it doesn't feel or drive like a humble 318. it's been to the track and back, and posted some impressive times (by my standards). so i'm not 'sticking up' for rod just because he's my friend.

he's operating a business here, and in a business, reputation counts more than anything else. i have no vested interest in his workshop. if what he does good work, people will keep going back. and the customer base he has built speaks for itself.

he has done a test to prove the results (at his own expense) to protect his reputation, and not only are you not helping, you seem to be insinuating that all of us who believe in his skills are blind and dumb, amongst other things... and i'm beginning to take offence.

if you are so knowledgeable, why don't you come up with something constructive instead of hiding behind the keyboard and challenging everything from the top of your ivory tower?

enough said...

the gauntlet has been thrown, and are you going to pick it up, Shaun?

and stop trying to have the last word. be a man and show up... would you want to volunteer your own car? Ryan has...

Ryan, your effort at trying to diffuse the problem is commendable. thanks.

pengful;636594 said:
Reading through all these pages, the feeling is that you simply want to challenge the effectiveness of R2D's ignition upgrade mod but you have no intention of being anywhere near to verify the results in an open and unbiased environment. Instead, you now question how long it takes to enable/ disable the mod. WTF! Didn't you question how R2D is going to prove that the ignition upgrade will increase the power of the car? If you want him to prove, he has agreed but now you "roti prata" him and everyone else following this thread. I had not expected this, to be honest.

Peng, as I clearly stated in http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/636346-post544.html , I ask how long it takes to enable or disable the mod for a very specific reason. The time required will decide what is practical to carry out in a test.

If you don't understand this, there's nothing you can contribute to reaching a conclusion on the issue.

4. You now have 15 simple conditions to suggest to do the test! In any dyno environment, no single condition is ever going to be the same. I am a noob with mods and dyno so I am sure you know better than I!
Conditions as in determination of procedures lah. Ryan has volunteered his car. Now does anyone want to get the test done or not? Be honest. If yes, then don't waste time and energy just making noise and start forming test procedures everyone can agree on, so we can proceed.

Not one person - not you, not jinooi, not rodney, has suggested anything logical, practical, in terms of running a test. I am asking for some contributions if anyone wants to be a part of it. If not, don't waste space.

What is it about R2D you want to "expose"? Why not the seller of sprint booster? Why not sellers of performance air filter? Why not sellers of performance exhaust? Why R2D's ignition mod?
Answered already on this thread, but obviously you have not been following close enough.

jinooi;636633 said:
contrary to what you have been saying, i've been seeing results after what rod has done to my car, and i'm not the only one. it doesn't feel or drive like a humble 318. it's been to the track and back, and posted some impressive times (by my standards). so i'm not 'sticking up' for rod just because he's my friend.

Is all that a proper test? Or is your head buried in the sand?

he has done a test to prove the results (at his own expense) to protect his reputation, and not only are you not helping, you seem to be insinuating that all of us who believe in his skills are blind and dumb, amongst other things... and i'm beginning to take offence.
Done what sort of a test? Is it a proper test? How many of the questions asked so far regarding that test have been answered?

if you are so knowledgeable, why don't you come up with something cons][tructive instead of hiding behind the keyboard and challenging everything from the top of your ivory tower?

enough said...

the gauntlet has been thrown, and are you going to pick it up, Shaun?

and stop trying to have the last word. be a man and show up... would you want to volunteer your own car? Ryan has...

Ryan, your effort at trying to diffuse the problem is commendable. thanks.
The only ones who really want to conduct a proper test are the ones who start seriously discussing procedures for the test with an aim for agreement across all parties involved, so the test can proceed.

So far exactly 0 people have suggested anything logical, practical. Ryan has done the most by volunteering a car.

So guys, who will be the first to really act on the claimed desire to see a proper test run, and a proper conclusion from it?

so after saying so much and seeming to be the (self-proclaimed) expert, if you are really interested in seeing a 'proper test', shouldn't you should be the one defining the parameters instead of just giving out hot air?

it seems like you are the challenger here... and all the questions have been asked by you alone and no one else.

so get on with it - post your questions and define the parameters.

you are right when you spoke about Ryan - at least he has volunteered his car. it's time for you to state the conditions...

jinooi;636642 said:
so after saying so much and seeming to be the (self-proclaimed) expert, if you are really interested in seeing a 'proper test', shouldn't you should be the one defining the parameters instead of just giving out hot air?

it seems like you are the challenger here... and all the questions have been asked by you alone and no one else.

so get on with it - post your questions and define the parameters.

you are right when you spoke about Ryan - at least he has volunteered his car. it's time for you to state the conditions...

What is it that is being proven must first be stated then the conditions and criteria be agreed upon then followed by the process and procedure to be set and executed.

Usually quite a tedious thing - In Germany its possible that the TUV that does this sort of stuff.......Shaun is not a "TUV" and if he rubber stamps this then he's going to be doing a lot of defending from other "Shauns" ....... R2D should use an independent "TUV" type party to do this - alternatively the academia would be suitable as well.

Just my 2 cents of thoughts .....

Shaun;636639 said:
Peng, as I clearly stated in http://www.bmw-sg.com/forums/636346-post544.html , I ask how long it takes to enable or disable the mod for a very specific reason. The time required will decide what is practical to carry out in a test.

If you don't understand this, there's nothing you can contribute to reaching a conclusion on the issue.

Conditions as in determination of procedures lah. Ryan has volunteered his car. Now does anyone want to get the test done or not? Be honest. If yes, then don't waste time and energy just making noise and start forming test procedures everyone can agree on, so we can proceed.

Not one person - not you, not jinooi, not rodney, has suggested anything logical, practical, in terms of running a test. I am asking for some contributions if anyone wants to be a part of it. If not, don't waste space.

Answered already on this thread, but obviously you have not been following close enough.

Just get on with it and please stop making excuses that the rest of us are not contributing. Why should we? Are we the ones raising the stink about the so-called "ko-yok" ignition mod? Yes, Ryan has volunteered his car and let's say the result is positive, will you then say it may not work for non-M cars? Come on, lay down your 15 conditions for the dyno center with Ryan and R2D.

Please don't drag the rest of us in by saying we have not suggested anything to run the test. Are you having amnesia? You were the one questioning everything from A to Z and R2D has already explained. Now, please go form the test procedure with the parties who have already agreed to do it! I promise to stay close and follow this thread!

niteblu;636105 said:
Good to hear some middle ground has been found.

Even better, let's extend this same standard of independent assessment to all similar performance related products for sale on the forum.

Oh... btw, if you guys happen to need an Automatic BMW guinea pig.
Let me know, I'd be happy volunteer :)

Yeah, if you need another car for dyno with and without the mod in case there can be an arguement that ryan's car is highly tuned bla bla, i would be glad to volunteer.

To Shaun,
I have the mod in this case in my car, from what i saw during the installation, i believe removing the mod can be done just by cutting the extra wire rod put in, a 3 min job.
Test conditions cannot change much in 3 mins right?

Robot never study, England no good, but luckily Ryan invent simple button for me to click.
Thank you Ryan! Thank you everybody!

I would like to see if this witch hunter is brave enough and take the fight directly to the other workshops here by posting directly in their threads to question them on the effectiveness of their products and their claims. No point syaing he has brought up these issues in this thread or any other threads started by him. He's no different from any of the many internet heros out there.

Red_Bean_Bun;636643 said:
What is it that is being proven must first be stated then the conditions and criteria be agreed upon then followed by the process and procedure to be set and executed.

Usually quite a tedious thing - In Germany its possible that the TUV that does this sort of stuff.......Shaun is not a "TUV" and if he rubber stamps this then he's going to be doing a lot of defending from other "Shauns" ....... R2D should use an independent "TUV" type party to do this - alternatively the academia would be suitable as well.

Just my 2 cents of thoughts .....

much appreciated tau sar pau (it means red bean bun in hokkien). good to hear an alternative opinion.

what we aim to have here is not for Shaun to endorse this mod. he is not an authority on car modifications, so even if he does endorse it, i'm quite doubtful that it would have any positive effect on R2D's business.

getting certified by an authority is going to be tedious, and will cost a lot of time and money. R2D is not a big enterprise with lots of money to burn. so for those who believe in them (like me), we will continue to patronise. for those who are sceptical, well, that's their prerogative...

i'm not sure what certification will do to help the business, but that's for rodney to decide.

what i an doing is to defend honour and integrity.

whether the mod actually works is still yet to be proven (according to Shaun).

rodney has already done his part by doing a dyno test, on his own time and money. this was his attempt at proving his theory.

Shaun seems to be quite knowledgeable, having studied automotive engineering, so it would be enlightening for all of us to find out how to test the efficacy of a simple mod. and i say this with utmost sincerity. this is a chance for us to learn.

what we cannot stand is his constant mudslinging from behind a computer without providing much constructive criticism. so far, the sentiment we've been getting is "i know more, but i'm not going to teach you because it's a waste of my time." this has been the case in most of his posts (regarding mods).

it's getting quite personal, to the extent that he's calling people names. sticks and stones, i know, but in this case, it's rodney's ricebowl, and i just can't stand around and do nothing.

talk is free, it's time for action... and not from behind a keyboard...

one more thing... to prevent this thread from being closed (again), let's all refrain from anymore name-calling.

we're all honorable gentlemen with integrity, and we do not want to resort to below-the-belt tactics, because not only does it not achieve anything, it's rather juvenile.

let's treat each other with more respect, and settle this like mature adults.

Shaun, we're still waiting...

this is a chance to learn, so what say you?

jinooi;636642 said:
and all the questions have been asked by you alone and no one else.

And none of the questions have been answered so far. Do you know why?

Rodney as the person executing the mod has not directly confirmed how long it takes to enable and disable the mod. Jason who has done it before estimates 3 minutes and that is an indication but not as definitive an answer as one if it were provided by Rodney.

Rodders is too ignorant to realize that there are different classes of modification. Those proven thousands of times before by thousands of independents in thousands of proper tests, supported by decades or even more than a of industry accepted truth, indeed tech itself used by OEMs - vs new technology function unclear, untested, not supported by industry accepted truth. Power increase from displacement increase along with headwork, vs power increase from hologram taped to block. If you think it's the same (equally doubtful, in equal requirement of testing) then you are insane.

==

So despite all the noise from various people we still have only:

- lots of feel reports (incidentally there have been negative feel reports too but those guys are too kind to post here, fear being seen as trouble makers)
- one dyno test with 3 hours of separation between runs, no independent witness, different scale axes, no overlay

Let's make things clearer and plan for a proper test with this list. Feel free to add

1) Manual car, BMW, preferably a common model of engine
2) Independent non ignorant witness
3) Blind operator does not know test sequence, just dynos
4) Proper run averaging with each individual run shown as well
5) Acceleration run averaging as well since it is nearly free
6) All fluid temp logging to ensure map state is the same. If not all known or enough known, then enough and equal temp settling times before pulls.
7) On a return fuel system, full tank for maximum thermal inertia
8) Ideally as much of the temp logging is synced with dyno pull or it can be manually synced since temp changes are in general very slow
9) Similar drive up conditions
10) Tire pressure normalized between all runs
11) Tie down tensions normalized as far as possible
12) ABA test at minimum, ABAB or more ideally to capture any trend beyond control
13) Much more detailed procedure laid out, agreed upon beforehand by all involved before proceeding
14) Process video taped from start to finish, no cuts
15) Any last minute deviation from the agreed upon plan or any attempted drama by anyone and the test is cancelled immediately
16)
17)
18)
19)
20)

Red bean, it's funny you mention TUV. Notice how many magic 'mods' never get tested and approved by TUV or an equivalent body despite that it would help their sales so much. Previously the claim was too poor to dyno, now the claim is too poor to certify it. Only one conclusion.

I am hoping you and Roberto, and any other logical person will add to the list above.

Cheers

==

jinooi, you are accusing me of calling Rodney names? Read the entire thread and directly quote me on a name other than Rodney, that I have called Rodney. You are as blind in your devotion to a friend, as you are to the modification :D

already done a fair and good test? Why is it no questions about the test with 2/3 different scale axes have been answered at all. Do you know what I could do in 3 hours to a car, with no one witnessing? A thousand things to skew the result. You can't just say "oh i trust the guy he wouldn't do anything" That is not a proper test.

Ricebowl or not, should not cloud the issue. The only concern should be whether it works, and to the degree claimed. If you let your friendship, his hardship, etc. cloud the issue then you are weak.

jinooi;636722 said:
one more thing... to prevent this thread from being closed (again), let's all refrain from anymore name-calling.

You and your friends should take your advice.

So far I have called you, rodders, rodney, by name. In return I have been called witchhunter, keyboard warrior, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back