Inline 6 (523) vs Inline 4 twin turbo (520)

Re: Inline 6 (523) vs Inline 4 twin turbo (520)

same as Shev.....

kennypmf;901476 said:
PM received with thanks!

I booked a 520....

Congrats! From pml? When u getting ur new ride?

MW;901305 said:
Talking abt cutting thru traffic.

ECP 3 lanes towards Changi Airport. I was on middle lane and on the right fast lane was a white M-kitted 740i. We were going at 140-150km/hr trying to chiet each other like we da gangsta until a red Chevy Epica taxi zoomed past us effortlessly and disappeared at the next bend.

Both of us simultaneously slowed down and drove like how a BMW shd be driven..luxuriously and cruising in our UDM, whistling away like nothing happened...
That's why i always 520D is the best. Eat 520 for breakfast.

davidtch;901682 said:
That's why i always 520D is the best. Eat 520 for breakfast.

520D and 520i got wat diff?

Even 740i also kana chiet by taxi! I think I change strategy to chiet the old Trans cab...

Anyway, I have been enjoying the smooth acceleration for the last 3 weeks...

Suddenly today, the gear shift from 2nd to 3rd dragged till above 2000rpm to make the shift even as I step very gently on accelerator. Usually gear shift at around 1500 to 1800rpm.

Is it because I over accelerated or something? Please do provide some advice.

Thanks.

it sensed that you wanted to overtake loh, so hold the fire for you ...smart mah
anyway above 2000rpm is nothing la ..

Welcome to the F10 family....

kennypmf;901476 said:
PM received with thanks!

I booked a 520....

Shev... PM me your contact...arrange Meetup and share some 520 wonders....wahahaha...

Shev;901835 said:

Even 740i also kana chiet by taxi! I think I change strategy to chiet the old Trans cab...

Die also don't believe 740i will lose out. I think he has a big heart that's all.

Congraz... So what kind of "poison" you prefer? Fast or slow effect? :woottt:

kennypmf;901843 said:
Yup! PML unit. Collecting on 3rd week of Oct...

Folerlop;901850 said:
Congraz... So what kind of "poison" you prefer? Fast or slow effect? :woottt:

Ahem......slowly explore lo....

golilok;901840 said:
it sensed that you wanted to overtake loh, so hold the fire for you ...smart mah
anyway above 2000rpm is nothing la ..

Come to think of it, I was accelerating in sudden short spurts today whilst trying to overtake...

The TP car in front of me really too slow...

I still feel the 8sp auto takes a while to respond to throttle input and because of the narrow gear ratio if I want to overtake or do something smilar it will want to shift down TWO gears.

I usually drive in manual steptronic mode now and just shift myself, especially during overtaking and even just getting around corners. When in 'D' the car tends to keep the rpm too low for fuel economy and the engine strains a little trying to pull the car especially if you are taking a bend or those filter lanes that go uphill.

After driving in manual steptronic mode I find the 523i more than enough for SG roads... it takes off on command when in the right gear and I am still getting on average ~9.0km/l given 50/50 city/hway driving.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shev;901835 said:

520D definitely can chiet 520 as 520D got 110NM torque. Chevy Epica has as much torque as 520, so what do u think?

Don't play play with BMW diesel. Since the days of E39 530D, i have been amazed by torque from this oil burner. I have seen it in Malaysia how smooth it is.

detach8;901869 said:
I still feel the 8sp auto takes a while to respond to throttle input and because of the narrow gear ratio if I want to overtake or do something smilar it will want to shift down TWO gears.

I usually drive in manual steptronic mode now and just shift myself, especially during overtaking and even just getting around corners. When in 'D' the car tends to keep the rpm too low for fuel economy and the engine strains a little trying to pull the car especially if you are taking a bend or those filter lanes that go uphill.

After driving in manual steptronic mode I find the 523i more than enough for SG roads... it takes off on command when in the right gear and I am still getting on average ~9.0km/l given 50/50 city/hway driving.
The 8 speeder was meant for high speed driving. The last 2 gear is juz overdrive.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shev;901838 said:
Anyway, I have been enjoying the smooth acceleration for the last 3 weeks...

Suddenly today, the gear shift from 2nd to 3rd dragged till above 2000rpm to make the shift even as I step very gently on accelerator. Usually gear shift at around 1500 to 1800rpm.

Is it because I over accelerated or something? Please do provide some advice.

Thanks.

Nothing wrong. Car is very intelligent. Probably a combination of how you were driving and road condition.

If you are going very steep uphill, car will only shift to 3rd at around 3000rpm, that is even if you step very very gently. Similarly, if accelerating up a slight gradient slope at 90, car die die will never shift from 7th to 8th no matter how gentle you go. If you are starting off a very steep downhill, car will use engine brake by holding gear, untill you reach about 50km/hr or so. Just something that I experience on my daily drive around my little town built around a hill.

detach8;901869 said:

I got the same problem, especially when trying to chiong amber light...foot down, but car remains as peaceful as always...:verysad:

davidtch;901870 said:
520D definitely can chiet 520 as 520D got 110NM torque. Chevy Epica has as much torque as 520, so what do u think?

Don't play play with BMW diesel. Since the days of E39 530D, i have been amazed by torque from this oil burner. I have seen it in Malaysia how smooth it is.

Torque is over-rated, at least that was how I felt when riding in epicas and sonatas during my recent back to army activities. First impression was no pull, no power, even though the taxi drivers were reving the shit out of their car. I really wonder how often they change their brake pads. But then I must admit that when driven sanely, the epica(especially a new one) is really peaceful, smooth and comfortable.

Torque is NOTHING without horsepower. Adding more torque makes no difference once you have enough torque.

Diesel will only beat petrol if diesel is in power range while the petrol is not. For instance comparing the acceleration from 60-80km/hr in 7th gear. Then again, most of us(and the transmission) tend to do that for daily driving in the name of fuel consumption.

Slow_poke_driver;901881 said:
Torque is over-rated, at least that was how I felt when riding in epicas and sonatas during my recent back to army activities. First impression was no pull, no power, even though the taxi drivers were reving the shit out of their car. I really wonder how often they change their brake pads. But then I must admit that when driven sanely, the epica(especially a new one) is really peaceful, smooth and comfortable.

Torque is NOTHING without horsepower. Adding more torque makes no difference once you have enough torque.

Diesel will only beat petrol if diesel is in power range while the petrol is not. For instance comparing the acceleration from 60-80km/hr in 7th gear. Then again, most of us(and the transmission) tend to do that for daily driving in the name of fuel consumption.

Perhaps the Chevy Epica taxi that chiet MW's 555 and the 740 now in workshop for repair already...

Slow_poke_driver;901878 said:
Nothing wrong. Car is very intelligent. Probably a combination of how you were driving and road condition.

If you are going very steep uphill, car will only shift to 3rd at around 3000rpm, that is even if you step very very gently. Similarly, if accelerating up a slight gradient slope at 90, car die die will never shift from 7th to 8th no matter how gentle you go. If you are starting off a very steep downhill, car will use engine brake by holding gear, untill you reach about 50km/hr or so. Just something that I experience on my daily drive around my little town built around a hill.

I am hitting abt 2000-2500rpm when accelerating gently at constant speed when up the slope leading into ecp from raffles boulevard....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keonhacaivn88net
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back