The BMW Brand

bracket

Hi guys,

My name's Alvin and I'm a local undergraduate. I have a two-pronged interest in the BMW brand; personal interest (as in I hope to own a BMW in the future) and as you might have guessed, a school project.:oops:

Thus, I wonder if some of you would give me any comments :singsing: on the BMW brand. Here are some points you can think about.

• Competitors
  • Market Share (local or global)
  • Before, during & after sales services
  • BMW's desired target audience
  • BMW's brand claim
  • Your loyalty to the brand
  • PML as a distributor
  • Any positive/negative comments about BMW

Your opinions and comments, though adhoc, will help us greatly in understanding the users of the BMW vehicles. :)

Thank you!

Regards,
Alvin

Re: The BMW Brand

i suppose many of your qns would have been answered in the many threads posted? or at least dig into BMW Singapore Motoring Life and What's happening to my BMW would get you 90%...:)

Competitors
Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Jaguar, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, VW, Cadillac

Market Share (local or global)
Download a copy of BMW Group's Annual Report, they have annual volume sales. BMW Group

Before, during & after sales services
Varies in countries. However after sales services of BMWs are generally below the industry standard. No JD Power, no remarkable innovative services, basically one gets the car, thats it.

Owners get a quarterly issue of BMW Magazine though....

BMW's desired target audience
People who enjoy driving more than being in the passenger seat.

BMW's brand claim
The Ultimate Driving Machine, Freude am Fahren

Your loyalty to the brand
Only as long as they continue making cars that I like...

PML as a distributor
Performs in sales.... Sucks in After-sales....

Any positive/negative comments about BMW
Sporty image and provides one of the most fun-to-drive cars.
Can do more in interior fittings and adding more features to the cars.

For more, go check out BMW - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

althaus;174411 said:
Competitors
Mercedes-Benz, Audi, Jaguar, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura, VW, Cadillac

Market Share (local or global)
Download a copy of BMW Group's Annual Report, they have annual volume sales. BMW Group

Before, during & after sales services
Varies in countries. However after sales services of BMWs are generally below the industry standard. No JD Power, no remarkable innovative services, basically one gets the car, thats it.

Owners get a quarterly issue of BMW Magazine though....

BMW's desired target audience
People who enjoy driving more than being in the passenger seat.

BMW's brand claim
The Ultimate Driving Machine, Freude am Fahren

Your loyalty to the brand
Only as long as they continue making cars that I like...

PML as a distributor
Performs in sales.... Sucks in After-sales....

Any positive/negative comments about BMW
Sporty image and provides one of the most fun-to-drive cars.
Can do more in interior fittings and adding more features to the cars.

For more, go check out BMW - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To find out how sucky our local distributor is, PM AhBengDriver. Or maybe he might just step into this thread.

Hhahha.

gadgets;174406 said:
i suppose many of your qns would have been answered in the many threads posted? or at least dig into BMW Singapore Motoring Life and What's happening to my BMW would get you 90%...:)

Hi gadgets,

I did searched a lot (didn't want to accuse of being lazy :yummie: ) but most comments were on BMW vehicles themselves.. not just the brand. Therefore i'm hoping for a more holistic view of the brand, not just the cars, not just the company but in entirety.

But really, thank you for the note. I'm keeping my eyes on many threads out there especially the polls which helped a lot.

Keep those comments coming!

Althaus, sounds like you have completed the assignment for them:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Alvin, my view as follow:
- Competitors: Merc and Audi (i know there is a thread on this. If I am not wrong the title should be something like 3 series versus Mark X)
- Market Share: I think this hard facts. Probably not much we can share.
- Before, during & after sales services: You will regret asking this :yikess: . Generally many are not too happy with PML after sales.
- BMW's desired target audience: this is a wide range. From young exec / ah sia to tua towkay, CEO....it then again depends on the model/segement you are looking at!
- BMW's brand claim: IMO the brand is mainly associated with performance and luxury. Performance and driving feel I think most will agree....as for luxury, that is when some will say merc or .....
- Your loyalty to the brand: first beemer for me....for now, i think the only thing that will make me not buy another beemer will be the after-sales
- PML as a distributor: there is a thread on this before....but sentiment is very mixed. With parallel importer like vincar selling the same model at anything from $40k cheaper than PML, many are tempted to buy from them because of price. But there are the rest who may choose to play it safe and still go with PML (beng will hammer me for saying this)
- Any positive/negative comments about BMW: i dont think you will find too much negative comments on BMW (i mean the car itself) in a beemer forum.

Hope this help....btw you are from NTU business aren't you??

bracket;174395 said:
Hi guys,

My name's Alvin and I'm a local undergraduate. I have a two-pronged interest in the BMW brand; personal interest (as in I hope to own a BMW in the future) and as you might have guessed, a school project.:oops:

Thus, I wonder if some of you would give me any comments :singsing: on the BMW brand. Here are some points you can think about.
  • Competitors
  • Before, during & after sales services
  • BMW's desired target audience
  • BMW's brand claim
  • Your loyalty to the brand
  • PML as a distributor
  • Any positive/negative comments about BMW
Your opinions and comments, though adhoc, will help us greatly in understanding the users of the BMW vehicles. :)

Thank you!

Regards,
Alvin

Actually, I wonder if *any* car distributor in singapore has happy customers? My previous experiences with Mazda and Opel were hair-raising, far far worse than PML. And have a look at what VW and Audi owners in singapore are saying about *their* distributors! Well, maybe Lexus is good....anyone care to comment on them?

For me, PML has seemed good, but only because Mazda and Opel [especially the latter] were so shockingly bad.....

IMO, i think it is unfair to tag service to the brand....many time it is the person who serves you that screw it up!! In the past, I use to find Honda service to be terrible.....until I met my ex-technician!

For the case of PML, beside knowing the right service personnel, i think we may just want to ask ourselves if our expectations are just too high. Sorry this is just my opinon.....anyway i am one big complain freak till PML send me a hamper to apologise. Only to deny any wrong doings in the thank you card with the hamper :screwedu: :screwedu: :screwedu:

Suipalucsea;174442 said:
Actually, I wonder if *any* car distributor in singapore has happy customers? My previous experiences with Mazda and Opel were hair-raising, far far worse than PML. And have a look at what VW and Audi owners in singapore are saying about *their* distributors! Well, maybe Lexus is good....anyone care to comment on them?

For me, PML has seemed good, but only because Mazda and Opel [especially the latter] were so shockingly bad.....

eldwin;174423 said:
Hope this help....btw you are from NTU business aren't you??

Hey eldwin and all,

thanks so much for the comments..
it's really helping a lot so keep them coming.
a point we were concerned with was that BMW had sole distributorship with PML. And PML are dedicated to only selling BMW vehicles.. same with other BMW distributors around the world.

Won't you guys think that it'll be better than their main competitor Mercedes with Cycle & Carriage that also carries brands like Toyota etc. We see huge advertisements for the Toyotas, which is obvious because they are such great sellers..

Anyway eldwin, I'm from SMU.. ;)

Regards,
Alvin

I know someone in NTU doing the exact same project like you :lol2:

What you are writing is confusing but anyway let me pt out a few pts:
- PML singapore was also selling the Mini until not too long ago
- Bro, C&C sell mitsuibishi, and Kia beside the Merc, not Toyota :nehnehhh:

My feel is that it all depends on the financial strength and experience of the distributor. I dont see any any problem if a distributor sell say 5 different brand if they are financially strong and understand the singapore automobile market. You have correctly pointed out C&C as an example.

bracket;174458 said:
Hey eldwin and all,

a point we were concerned with was that BMW had sole distributorship with PML. And PML are dedicated to only selling BMW vehicles.. same with other BMW distributors around the world.

Won't you guys think that it'll be better than their main competitor Mercedes with Cycle & Carriage that also carries brands like Toyota etc. We see huge advertisements for the Toyotas, which is obvious because they are such great sellers..

Regards,
Alvin

bracket,

I can help you out with local market share:

CarBuyer.com.sg | Drive a good bargain

Last year they nabbed 3.7% of the market here. Not too shabby. My guess is their worldwide share would be around 2%.

Their annual results conference is tomorrow; I'm sure my colleagues will have more insights to file after attending.

• Competitors - Mercedes, Audi, Lexus, Volvo, Saab
  • Before, during & after sales services - They have a very agressive sales force, if you look closely, most of the gals and guys are pretty good looking, they screen their sales people, I think but I am sure they won't admit it. They are very agressive at selling the premium status of BMW and also they emphasize on the driving experience "The Ultimate Driving Machine". They will not focus on luxuries like, frills, quiteness etc. They focus on engine and handling. Finally had a chance to experience first hand their after sales service two days ago and they were not too bad. I had expected much worse from some of the accounts I read in the Forum but maybe I got the right CSA.
  • BMW's desired target audience - I would say they target upper middle class all the way up to the super rich. Each Series has its audience.
  • BMW's brand claim - Like I said earlier, they sell on the driving experience, engine performace and handling, not so much luxuries.
  • Your loyalty to the brand - First time owner of BM and still not that loyal.
  • PML as a distributor - Very agressive sales force, focused on selling the drivign experience and NOT on price. They maintain their premium price postition and will not give too much. I was comparing the BM to the Lexus and the Lexus guy was discounting and throwing freebies at me but PML sales maintained their price, simply would not budge. In the corporate world, the PML model is preferred.
  • Any positive/negative comments about BMW - So far I have had a very good experience with the BM.

Competitors - Traditionally, Mercedes and Audi but now Lexus is probably the biggest threat. Audi appears to be gaining on BMW in Singapore too.
Market Share (local or global) - Number one in the premium sector in Singapore, having overtaken Mercedes a few years ago.
Before, during & after sales services - They're nice enough before and during the sale, and try their best afterwards.
BMW's desired target audience - Anyone who will pay a premium for a product that's fun to drive, has advanced engineering and offers a high level of occupant safety and comfort. This applies to MINI as well, which is very much a part of today's BMW.
BMW's brand claim - I don't think they use "Ultimate Driving Machine" for BMW in Singapore anymore. It's "Sheer Driving Pleasure" or something like that.
Your loyalty to the brand - Used to be more unshakeable in the past but I still like the cars a lot. Have owned 4 over the past 15, 16 years.
PML as a distributor - Okay lah but I always get the impression that the service department at Alexandra Road is understaffed. They always seem so harried.
Any positive/negative comments about BMW - Relatively affordable, creamy six cylinder engines, engaging and nicely balanced RWD chassis. Tend to have minor glitches over time, which sometimes get blown out of proportion as owners have very high expectations of these machines.

wow thanks guys for all the input!!

Do you think BMW is under threat from companies like Mercedes and Audi?
Especially the talk that yuppies are buying BMW now and could be "upgrading" to a Benz when "they finally make it big"?

Alvin

"Especially the talk that yuppies are buying BMW now and could be "upgrading" to a Benz when "they finally make it big"?"

MB still has a very Ah Pek image. BMW drivers who upgrade will go for a Porsche. Audi is a much more serious threat in the long run, though at the moment they are shooting themselves in the foot with ridiculous pricing, eg the TT.

bracket;175598 said:
wow thanks guys for all the input!!

Do you think BMW is under threat from companies like Mercedes and Audi?
Especially the talk that yuppies are buying BMW now and could be "upgrading" to a Benz when "they finally make it big"?

Alvin

Always! But I think their biggest threat is now Lexus, certainly in North America and Asia. And i read somewhere that 2006 3 series/Lexus IS sales are 1300/811 in Singapore, so maybe eventually in Singapore too. They have a way to go though in Europe, as they are hampered by a lack of diesel engines of different sizes. Another brand that is becoming interesting is Infinity.

bracket;174458 said:
Hey eldwin and all,

Regards,
Alvin

you mean to say PML has sole distributorship...and not BMW has...

PML used to have Mini under them too...and...
perhaps you would like to find out PML's parent company and what other distributorship they have...*hint* look further up PML Alexandra...

if you want my 2 cents, BMW has succeeded greatly as a brand.

Their main supporters are firstly, avid car rag readers. They preach the BMW philosophy as stated by the car rags, to the casual readers, and the non-readers, and BMW as a result gets an aura of being a driver's car.

And they're not far off, if merely by virtue of careful loans of well configured (read: enthusiast biased) evaluation cars to magazines, and a very careful attention to car control weighting. For example, on the wheel of a typical 3 series, the steering weightage is excellent compared to the Audis and Mercs and the Lexuses.

Their engines are not obviously superior to the rest, their electronics are basically just as buggy as Merc's (bosch sourced), and their suspension tuning is pretty much hit and miss. But the human interface counts, therefore, many think that the BMW is a drivers' car, and rightly so, by virtue of the superior steering weightage.

The desire for a BMW comes mainly from the `young' and `young at heart' who want a racy car. A car which expresses their innermost desire of being a fast car driver. It has less appeal to one who is not really into cars, or who care little about giving the `image' of being `into cars'.

The problem with BMW is that, the really rich people who `pay for reliability' do not pay for a BMW - for this category, the misled pay for a Merc, and the enlightened pay for a Lexus. These people pay the second most.

The people who pay most, are the people who pay for uniqueness. obviously, BMW does not have this category at all. This category is destined to be the domain of the Ferraris, the Lambos, the Maybachs and AMGs, and even the Audi R8s!!! Poor BMW's Z8 - BMW's attempt at uniqueness .... man, that was a flop. The 850s were just not special enough, and the M1 could really not be made well enough to be great.

The worst thing facing BMW brand now, is their success among pretty obnoxious people, and gives BMW a bad name when one writes `the worst drivers are black BMW drivers' in the papers (last year I think).

But the worst worst technical problem now, is that they have to swallow their pride and team up with Daimlerchrysler and GM to make a hybrid drive. Without hybrid, BMW will not be able to compete in the superluxe market in the future, especially with more and more celebrities becoming greenies.

The brand only has to go down now. It is unfortunate, because at the core, BMW is a very good engineering company. The marketing department must now take a rest. Their design department rules, in hindsight, with Lexus and BMW and Hyundai taking lessons from their epochal 7-series design, ugly like hell, but the path to the future.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
go88tvnet
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back