Worth buying new F10 523 from PI?

Re: Worth buying new F10 523 from PI?

leebmer;604162 said:
Disclaimer: i am not good at this stuff on sale between related entities...sharing my views for discussion sake !

what i understand is any sales done between the two related entities should be done at arm's length...the question perhaps is at what arm's length...
It is up to respective entities to prove it.

For sales of good, it is not too hard.

For sales of service, it is difficult especially specialized service.

My friend just got a base model 535 from PI at $238k! That's such a good buy... Base Model 523i is already calling for $231k(before discount) now at PML...

Some PI selling 523 at $190k range, so the diff against a 535 is still about $40k which is about the amt between 523 and 535 from PML.

Therefore, i think its price is only normal, not very special

Hi Bros out there, I noticed that the OMVs for PML car is much lower than PI cars. Do you think one of the reason is PML indents all their stock without all the expensive options so the OMV is lower, thus saving on tax, and then putting all the options by ordering the parts and installing them in Singapore?

the sad side is pml aint gonna pass the savings to customer ehh
low omv but high selling price :laughing:

335RS;619685 said:
Hi Bros out there, I noticed that the OMVs for PML car is much lower than PI cars. Do you think one of the reason is PML indents all their stock without all the expensive options so the OMV is lower, thus saving on tax, and then putting all the options by ordering the parts and installing them in Singapore?

Last edited by a moderator:

wt_know;619692 said:
the sad side is pml aint gonna pass the savings to customer ehh
low omv but high selling price :laughing:

Thing is most people will still buy from PML... most people won't look at OMV, unless you are a regular in this forum. People also afraid PI got no good service workshops...

One thing I cannot understand, how come current BMWs have such low OMVs and the other competitors brands like Merc and Audi still have almost same or only slightly lower OMVs as compared to before? The price for the F10s in comparison to the E60s have inflated quite a fair bit. Strange...

A little OT but I think relevant to this discussion.

Friend if mine bought a 4 year old, 50k km 750i for SGD140K.

That to me is way more sensible than what PML is charging for a 523 ...

Hi guys,

I just wanted to contribute my 2 cents worth.

As many of you'll know I just picked up my 523i F10 a few days ago from PML, which promptly broke down 2 hours after collection.

Anyway let's leave that out of the discussion for the moment.

Before I bought the car from PML, I visited many PI's as well PML of course. In addition, I made sure I read up on the F10 in as many forums that I could.

When I visited the PI's I got the contact numbers of a few workshops that they are using. I called 2 of these workshops up and spoke at length to them about the F10. At the end of each conversation they both told me the same thing, if you are buying an F10 and can afford the price difference between a PI & PML then buy from PML.

However, the price difference between a PI and PML was still a major issue for me. These were the considering factors for me, OMV(OMV for my 523 from was close to 42k, pretty close to PI cars), COE packages offered by both, trade in price of my existing car, servicing/warranty package and lastly peace of mind.

After calculating the actual price difference between a PI and PML car, the PI car was around 20k cheaper give or take 1k-2k. So for a 20k difference, I decided to get the car from PML. This difference in price is accurate at the time I was buying the car taking into account the packages offered to my by both PI's and PML.

Why? After reading up on the F10, I knew that the amount of electronics put on this car could be a major issue and after speaking to the PI workshops, the 20k difference was worth it for me to have a peace of mind.

To be honest if I were buying a car that would have less of an issue with electronic problems then I would have gone with a PI.

So to me it all boils down to to what specific car you are buying, rather then should you buy ANY car from a PI or AD.

In PML's case they were making around 70k for the 523 and the PI's were making around 50k. For me personally, the difference in price taking into account you are buying a over 200k car is worth the peace of mind.

if $20k difference, it's good to go to PML for peace of mind. if sway, one major claim maybe $10k+ liao.
perhaps, PML has catched up to be more reasonable or PI want to eat more now :D
in the beginning the difference was huge due to super low omv and super high margin

Sorry OT a bit, Just gotten my car from PML 2 months ago but was disappointed with the after sales service and during delivery. Can you imagine you have 2 holes that looks like stone chip at the bonnet and a couple of fine lines on my car boot and l got to spend money clearing up the fine lines. After that a couple of things happen, the door sensor just did not work, called them in 3rd week of Jan asking them whether l can send my car in to do a check, the answer was l am sorry it is fully booked, we can only help you after chinese new year and l got to lock my car using the key or from the passenger door and l have to live with these problems. So many things just went wrong, they delay the delivery and then forgot to retain my car registration number.

What would you do if you have all these problems. Do you think PML should compensate for all these hassle and inconvenience l have to go through?

So do you think buying from PML makes a difference?

Cheers
Hosaybo88
PS l am not a dealer just sharing my personal experience

wah so many horror stories that 'new' car delivered got scratches, dents, what have you ....
is it because they do a lot of local retrofiting instead of lock-stock-barrel out from container?

Maybe someone took them for a spin at the wharf...

wt_know;620558 said:
wah so many horror stories that 'new' car delivered got scratches, dents, what have you ....
is it because they do a lot of local retrofiting instead of lock-stock-barrel out from container?
I remembered I bought my first BMW from PML more than a decade ago... I always service my car regularly and despite the high service charges, I got piston going bust, radiator and aircon gone, and finally the engine blew up just after warranty period... I argued all the way to Germany, and finally the decide to waive 50% of the new engine replacement cost and it took me 3 months...

nowadays, I'd rather trust guys like Boss and MBM to service my cars... for my other family cars of Japanese makes I would jus send it to comfort delgro engineering... my parents, however, still insists on PML or Borneo... so I think it's a matter of mindset... but I'm thinking for the amount I'm paying for a stock brake pad at PML, I can get performance carbon pads for bout the same price.so which do u think is more worth it?

wt_know;620553 said:
if $20k difference, it's good to go to PML for peace of mind. if sway, one major claim maybe $10k+ liao.
perhaps, PML has catched up to be more reasonable or PI want to eat more now :D
in the beginning the difference was huge due to super low omv and super high margin

I think it is a case of PI's making more money because they know PML's margin, so why should they reduce too much since consumer's already getting 20k-30k off if buying from a PI.

I tried to nego with many of them but they won't move much on their prices and I'm talking not only about BMW's but also for cars like Audi.

I understand they have costs to cover and we as consumers also prefer to get it cheaper from PI's but if difference is not worth the hassle then buyers will end up with the AD's.

If they are like other dealers overseas, and make a few thousand off each car like they are doing for Japanese cars...can you imagine how many continental cars they will be selling!! PML, Premium Automobiles and C&C won't know what hit them man!!

However from the looks of it they prefer to sell few and earn big, from my many visits to the PI's everyone seems to be looking at more or less the same margin which personally I find weird. Some of these PI's are low cost companies, just renting out small areas whereas some have nicer showrooms but all looking to make the same big margins.

I was considering the Audi A5 Sportback before looking at the F10 and after doing my calculations the difference between PI and Premium was about 10k-15k. So even if I had bought the Audi, it would have been from the agent Premium Automobiles.

Would love to buy from the PI's but for these models the difference in price does not justify the sleepless nights.

i would assume the same case too because AD always think they are UP there. it's unlikely they will reduce their margin unless for lelong sales to clear outgoing model and hit target for #1 luxury sales car

you are right that if PI price is highly competitive, they could hit AD without them even seeing it coming :D
besides, PI don't have to worry about after sales service where they already outsource the servicing to external workshops (ie: BVO/J4C/KhangAuto) and buy insurance for parts warranty claim (ie: TWM). so the core business is SELL SELL SELL

margin cannot be few thousands la as volume is not as high as US but definitely not trailing behind AD lor ...

jamier9;620618 said:
I think it is a case of PI's making more money because they know PML's margin, so why should they reduce too much since consumer's already getting 20k-30k off if buying from a PI.

But the point is, even though you've paid 20 - 30k premium for a PML unit, you will still be bothered by their service team.
So where is the resting point? I find it somehow contradicting.
So far, I have not had any bad encounters only minor things that i can still bear with, taking it with mindset of being fair to PML since no one is perfect.
I can't rule out that i will not face the same problems that I have seen here so far maybe because i'm driving a matured model. Till the day that I change to F10, which i'm seriously looking forward to, I hope I will not experience the same like Jamier9. For that, I don;t think anyone can swallow other Jamier9.

for mature model, i will definitely go with PI assuming no perculiar & mysterious problems that could possibly wipe out the $20k savings (minimum)
for new model, i have the same confidence in outside workshops but the headache is warranty claim and new model tend to have many "teething" problems and worst case scenario of engine stalled on 1st day ... opps

The Guardian;620674 said:
But the point is, even though you've paid 20 - 30k premium for a PML unit, you will still be bothered by their service team.
So where is the resting point? I find it somehow contradicting.
So far, I have not had any bad encounters only minor things that i can still bear with, taking it with mindset of being fair to PML since no one is perfect.
I can't rule out that i will not face the same problems that I have seen here so far maybe because i'm driving a matured model. Till the day that I change to F10, which i'm seriously looking forward to, I hope I will not experience the same like Jamier9. For that, I don;t think anyone can swallow other Jamier9.

I think that the saving should be at ard 30-40k before i will consider pi

Hi guys,

First and foremost, the comparison is a bit off....

1) while the price difference is about 20k +/-, the specs on the PI cars are higher. That ought to amount up to something. Whether you need those specs or not, is a different issue.

2) Insurance premium from PI is higher than if you get the same car from AD. Don't ask me why. If the premium is higher by say 300 per year, that is 3k to be added back to the discounted price.

AD has to charge a higher price, simply because they have overheads and large investment amount to take into consideration. A friend of my who owns a chain of car distributor in KL was looking as carrying Bimmers a few years ago. And In order for them to be AD, BMW requires them to have a few things:

A) Facility to be able to serive 20 cars a day
B) Showroom and workshop investment of at least USD 5 million
c) Minimal of a 70 meter frontage for the showrooom.

If i am an AD, and i plough in these monies, i need to recover it somewhere man... So i can understand why they need a bigger profit margin.

Now, as for the shitty, its more the people, and not the company. Some of us has the luck of a good one. My previous service guy is a lady by the name of Cindy. I have aboslutely no complains at all. And just to share with you, when my previous ride was turning 3 years, she automatically booked an appointment for me. Called me up and ask me to send my ride down so that they can inspect. According to her, 3 series, at 3 year mark, usually Air con coil and some parts of the radiator needs to be changed and best get it donw under warranty.

They checked the battery and swap the battery under warrantly as well...

She is gone, now i am facing trouble now... ha ha

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iphone16seriesclickbuy

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back