Buying a 2nd Hand 3 Series

Re: Buying a 2nd Hand 3 Series

Hi everyone,

I hope someone can help me understand this.

The e92 coupe I'm looking at, there was no cig lighter jack. Is this normal? The dealer said its for us to charge iPhone n iPod..is this real? What if I'm a smoker?

Second thing...isn't there a medical kit behind the boot? I don't see mine.. :(

Last...where is the cd changer for e92s?? Behind the boot? Mine is missing too..anyone has any opinions why?

Thanks!

I just got my hands on a '07 320i XL. Not really a car person.
It is actually in fact my very first car buy :D

Didn't really thoroughly and systematically go thru the "checklists" before i got the car.
Hopefully mine is not a lemon buy. *fingers crossed.
But at least the car comes with all it's servicing records in tact.

kevinbmw;836158 said:
Hi,

Not sure yet about the depreciation figures but I assume it's around 15k? However, think I will sell according to market by then bah..I guess it's a Heng suay thing right if buying a car? Just hope it isn't a lemon cos the car I'm giving up is in perfect condition. :(

Oh btw, I actually called pro swift as recommended by one of the bros here n they said i shld send my car in to STA and VICOM as the service they provide is similar to theirs? In fact even more detailed. Not sure about that nor why he told me that though..anyone with experience can comment on this?

Aiyo..getting a bit worried abt the car now..sigh..

Kevin, 15k depreciation seems a bit on the high side to me.
Like i said, i just got mine. Price 81.8k. OMV about 44k. '07 Aug.
Depreciation about 11.5k, unless my calculation is wrong?
I saw a few others as well, depreciation about 12-13k. Even one with mileage at 50k only.

Hungryz;839882 said:
Kevin, 15k depreciation seems a bit on the high side to me.
Like i said, i just got mine. Price 81.8k. OMV about 44k. '07 Aug.
Depreciation about 11.5k, unless my calculation is wrong?
I saw a few others as well, depreciation about 12-13k. Even one with mileage at 50k only.

Hello hungryz..

I guess you are right. Depreciation is really high but I must say the condition of the car was really outstanding. Perhaps let me just update all..so I took it for an STA check with results hitting all Bs. Then took it to BVO..they said it looks really good n in fact would even give As to some of what STA had given. The only concern was the steering wheel vibrates strongly at high speed. However they say a simple balacing would solve the trick. With that, I decided to proceed with the deal. Although not a very pleasant experience closing the deal but I got through to it.

Went ahead after collecting car to balance the wheels but was shocked to know 3 tyre shops refused to help align as the wheels were too thin..19inch wheels..
In the end, I took it to autobach n they told me that the rims are already spoilt n balancing would not help. Upset m furious, called the dealer n told him what I heard. He told metro go down his workshop to check it out the next day. Went there, they say it isn't spoilt! And what's missing was a centre ring..

Not sure if that's the truth but I went ahead n insisted changing it back to Stock 18inch. That needed centre rings as well. I thought it would be better since 18inxh would bring the efficiency n comfort of the car out so went ahead to proceed. Hope I made the right decision though cos the rims look ex but if spoilt they r worth nothing. And was thinking autobach would not lie on their analogy..anyway..now running on 18inch n the car is really performing v well!

Thanks everyone who had been patiently answering and sharing your views with me. More feedback is very much welcome! Thanks!

kevinbmw;840425 said:
Hello hungryz..

I guess you are right. Depreciation is really high but I must say the condition of the car was really outstanding. Perhaps let me just update all..so I took it for an STA check with results hitting all Bs. Then took it to BVO..they said it looks really good n in fact would even give As to some of what STA had given. The only concern was the steering wheel vibrates strongly at high speed. However they say a simple balacing would solve the trick. With that, I decided to proceed with the deal. Although not a very pleasant experience closing the deal but I got through to it.

End of the day. Value is like beauty. Depends on the person.
As long as we appreciate it, we will believe in the value.
For example, people have also been saying isn't a good time to buy car,
But i still went ahead. So since we have already closed the deal,
Let's just enjoy the ride and not worry about the rest :)

Hungryz;840437 said:
End of the day. Value is like beauty. Depends on the person.
As long as we appreciate it, we will believe in the value.
For example, people have also been saying isn't a good time to buy car,
But i still went ahead. So since we have already closed the deal,
Let's just enjoy the ride and not worry about the rest :)

Btw, your deal is really quite worthy. Did u buy from a direct owner or through a dealer? Care to share your experience? Mine is an 07 car as well and is so ex..probably got ripped off. :(

kevinbmw;840525 said:
Btw, your deal is really quite worthy. Did u buy from a direct owner or through a dealer? Care to share your experience? Mine is an 07 car as well and is so ex..probably got ripped off. :(

Mine is a 320i XL. I believe it's E90 pre-facelift. Yours E92 is a coupe? Should be slightly more expensive.

I bought mine from a dealer. i went to see a total of 3 cars at different dealers.
All 3 quite similar, 07 pretty decent mileage and condition. Quoted price about 85-88k. OMV was 39-44k.

Since 2nd hand car sales now slower, they were quite keen to "get rid" of their vehicles, cause they are incurring costs just holding on to them. I went home and wait for their calls to ask for my offer, which they did. Heehee...

My initial offer to all 3 of them was 78k and than just wait for their counter lor. Lol...my personal thoughts were they will not deal with prices less than 80k. From there just bargain my way thru, my personal ceiling was 82k. I was not willing to pay more than that for either of the 3 cars.

I didn't get the car that i liked the most, cause the salesperson kind of did not have "authority" to negotiate on the price, so was quite a hassle.

I have to add that my wife had a 7 year 10mths old sunny with outstanding loan to trade in. (She bought it in '04 before i met her, high loan, high interest, Cash Rebates, Overtrade, everything! So still got outstanding loan approx 16.7k. Women...Lol...no offense meant.) The sunny was in very poor condition. Need a lot of refurbishing to sell off again at 19-20k market rate now. So i told the dealer to take in the sunny at the outstanding loan rate, and i pay a bit more for the beemer. He agreed, so that kind of sealed the deal for me.

Hi all , would like to check why sometimes the window of E90 cannot automatically fully rolled-up ? but when i use the key it can roll down and up all 4 windows.....

filthymonk;842469 said:
Hi all , would like to check why sometimes the window of E90 cannot automatically fully rolled-up ? but when i use the key it can roll down and up all 4 windows.....

make sure door is fully closed. if door is open, no auto roll up.

filthymonk;842510 said:
thanks ! anyway if any one door open include boot ? = all 4 doors no auto roll up ?

the door that is currently open will have auto roll up disabled. this is so for the driver's door as i've experienced it myself. for other doors i can't confirm. trunk open should not affect it.

Hungryz;840600 said:
Mine is a 320i XL. I believe it's E90 pre-facelift. Yours E92 is a coupe? Should be slightly more expensive.

I bought mine from a dealer. i went to see a total of 3 cars at different dealers.
All 3 quite similar, 07 pretty decent mileage and condition. Quoted price about 85-88k. OMV was 39-44k.

Since 2nd hand car sales now slower, they were quite keen to "get rid" of their vehicles, cause they are incurring costs just holding on to them. I went home and wait for their calls to ask for my offer, which they did. Heehee...

My initial offer to all 3 of them was 78k and than just wait for their counter lor. Lol...my personal thoughts were they will not deal with prices less than 80k. From there just bargain my way thru, my personal ceiling was 82k. I was not willing to pay more than that for either of the 3 cars.

I didn't get the car that i liked the most, cause the salesperson kind of did not have "authority" to negotiate on the price, so was quite a hassle.

I have to add that my wife had a 7 year 10mths old sunny with outstanding loan to trade in. (She bought it in '04 before i met her, high loan, high interest, Cash Rebates, Overtrade, everything! So still got outstanding loan approx 16.7k. Women...Lol...no offense meant.) The sunny was in very poor condition. Need a lot of refurbishing to sell off again at 19-20k market rate now. So i told the dealer to take in the sunny at the outstanding loan rate, and i pay a bit more for the beemer. He agreed, so that kind of sealed the deal for me.

So how much you bought ur ride for? 2007 E90 right?

Hungryz;839879 said:
I just got my hands on a '07 320i XL. Not really a car person.
It is actually in fact my very first car buy :D

Didn't really thoroughly and systematically go thru the "checklists" before i got the car.
Hopefully mine is not a lemon buy. *fingers crossed.
But at least the car comes with all it's servicing records in tact.

How much u bought ur 2007 E90?

Hi all,

Saw a 323i in sgcarmart,

Jan 08
3 owner
I-drive with navigator
Ask: $93,888

Quite tempting, any comments?

I know that the power of 320i after flash is comparable with 323i. But 323i can do flash too right?

Thanks in advance!
Ct

Go for test drive (off the audio) first see if it drives good. After that, off engine let the car rest a while and check for undercarriage/engine leaks.

But 3 owners a bit on the high side.

Saosin;842638 said:
Go for test drive (off the audio) first see if it drives good. After that, off engine let the car rest a while and check for undercarriage/engine leaks.

But 3 owners a bit on the high side.

Noted with thanks, will see whether can arrange to bring the ride to independent workshop to do a check.

I think for a '08 car 90K is WAY overpriced

Just to share with bros back in mid-2010 I bought a '06 E90 (4+ years old back then) at only 70K from a delaer @ West Coast car mart, so a similar car today should be registered in '08. I can accept 80-85K. 90+ is atrocious. The paper value of these used cars are rubbish.

In mid-2011 I switched to a NEW 320i with the latest iDrive, Xenon lights, Sunroof and my depre was only 15K+ (near 16K).

IMHO, for a used E90 PFL, the depreciation should be 10K or less. There's so many of them flooding the roads.

If it's 12-13K I'd rather buy a brand new VW Jetta (seriously, 1.4TSI is a great engine) or hunt for a '11 car at 14-15K depre. There should be a few of those high spec w/iDrive CIC (not the old CCC on 323i or 523i) and sunroof.

Also, don't get a 3 owner car... you will vomit blood trying to sell it next time. Max max, 2 owners. Best 1 owner only.

Try this: call a dealer and ask to TRADE IN a '07 or '08 320i. Tell me how much they quote. You'll know their margins.

I called a dealer, asked to quote my 2011 523i ... they told me $160K. I told the dealer to fly kite. Reputable dealer BTW, H*a Y***g. F10 523i at $160K, who don't want? I also go and buy one extra one.

Last edited by a moderator:

i sent the unit i like to PML for checking, cost s$140+

as dealer, PML will point out every error found during checking

my case was faulty riadiator system which i got the salesman to repair and 50%/50% shared the cost

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nbetbest

Latest posts

Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back