Coming 5 years old E60

Re: Coming 5 years old E60

Hi Topprice,

Sign showing 'No Fault'.......i went to PML yesterday...'motor' faulty with some explanation i couldnt fully understand. Got it change already.

Thanks!

yegh55;1045290 said:
Hi Guys,

I am driving 4 years old E60 525.

I encountered not able to accelerate smoothly on Saturday. The feel is like car is stuck even i floored the pedal fully.....car going like tortise...ganna Horned and Highbeamed behind.
I tried switched to D/S-->Manual...same problem. Finally, i stopped by the road side, restarted engineer twice....then back to normal.

Contacted PML, suspect Spark plug issue.

Can advise from all the experts here?

Thanks in Advance!

It could be ignition coil misfiring or a pneumatic air control valve that cannot be opened fully even if full throttle. Both case need ws to check.

hi, I used to send it to PML or WS and just pay accordingly to whatever they said. What did they change and how much is the bill?
yegh55;1045489 said:
Hi Topprice,

Sign showing 'No Fault'.......i went to PML yesterday...'motor' faulty with some explanation i couldnt fully understand. Got it change already.

Thanks!

cccc;1044502 said:
Thanks for your advice. But my opinion is totally opposite of yours. Unless you are using a different grade or wrong transmission fluid, a fresh change of fluid will yield positive reaction.

Today just visited one of the sponsored workshop to try out their services. After the transmission service, my transmission engage more smoothly as compared to pre-service. They are recommending an interval service at every 60, 000km.

What was your mileage at that point?

I just got an 5yr old E60 @ 125k mileage and do not know if the previous owner ever did an ATF change. I am contemplating doing an ATF change but have read of horror stories of GB failing after ATF change.

No issues whatsoever with my gear changes now, all smooth but thinking of preventive maintenance. Not sure if the old adage of not fixing what is not broken applies here.

Maybe take it in 2 stages ? Fluid change first then decide to do the filter later ?

jetspeed88;1050258 said:

I just got an 5yr old E60 @ 125k mileage and do not know if the previous owner ever did an ATF change. I am contemplating doing an ATF change but have read of horror stories of GB failing after ATF change.

No issues whatsoever with my gear changes now, all smooth but thinking of preventive maintenance. Not sure if the old adage of not fixing what is not broken applies here.

jetspeed88;1050258 said:

My mileage is 122k when i decided to do the ATF change. I don't believe those stories as it is often one sided and lack of information. I don't buy into bmw claim of "life-time" marketing either.

Preventive maintenance is what i believe in if you want to keep your car in tip-top condition or whichever condition that satisfy you during your ownership. Every parts or components have their projected life-span that will require it to be replaced or serviced in certain point in time.

Same here , did my ATF change at 165k , almost as advise by Mike Miller at 100,000 miles . Just one word to describe .. " No doubt and go ahead !!! " I did this at PML and cost me nearly $700 just to change the auto oil only. Was thinking to change the differential oil also , any bro did this with such high mileage like Use and like to share any differences after the change ??

Preventive maintenance is what i believe in if you want to keep your car in tip-top condition or whichever condition that satisfy you during your ownership. Every parts or components have their projected life-span that will require it to be replaced or serviced in certain point in time.[/QUOTE]

I changed both. Since i am replacing the transmission fluid might as well do it together.

Currently using ows brand for my GB & differential.

As mention before, more smooth.

ex owner of my e60 never replace atf till 104k..... when i bought it , i replace but too bad valvebody already got problem which cause 1st and 2nd gear lag and jerk. Any idea how much to replace it?

I also replaced the ATF slump components. Not sure if it is commonly know as the ATF filter.

For reference, BMW 5 series automatic transmission fluid (ATF) has a condition-based service (CBS) interval of approximately 100,000 miles (160,000km). Use only the approved transmission fluid. Transmission fluid expands with temperature. BMW requires that the ATF be checked when fluid temperature is between 30-50 degC. The automatic transmission is not equipped with a dipstick. Check level while moritoring temperature with a special equipment.

The differential in my case after changing was quieter. Just make sure use the correct weight e.g. 75w90. After trying a few types - OEM fluid in my opinion is best - SAF XO.

Algino;1050297 said:
Same here , did my ATF change at 165k , almost as advise by Mike Miller at 100,000 miles . Just one word to describe .. " No doubt and go ahead !!! " I did this at PML and cost me nearly $700 just to change the auto oil only. Was thinking to change the differential oil also , any bro did this with such high mileage like Use and like to share any differences after the change ??

Preventive maintenance is what i believe in if you want to keep your car in tip-top condition or whichever condition that satisfy you during your ownership. Every parts or components have their projected life-span that will require it to be replaced or serviced in certain point in time.
[/QUOTE]

I read thru this column and also decided to change my ATF. Would like to know, is it standard practice to change the cover as well?

crombie_sg;1055141 said:
I read thru this column and also decided to change my ATF. Would like to know, is it standard practice to change the cover as well?

I changed mine with filter and I think that means the cover (or whatever they call that part).

On a separate note:
I encountered engine dying out with the car moving. At first I thought it was steering fault as that appears on the screen. Then it dawns on me that it was the engine dying hence no power steering or active steering (in my case).

Changed to a new battery and all was fine for months. Suspect my In-Car DVR eating up the power. So, new battery all was fine. Then one day we forgot to unplug power to the DVR for one night and saw the power drain message. Not too long later (days later) the engine dying out fault occurred.

Sent to mechanic and they could only see one error and it was some exhaust mechanism. Left the car for one day. They open up something and closed it back as that was not the cause. That action plus some software reset cost me S$XXX. Now without DVR plugged in, the car seems to be working well again.

Anyone encounter something similar?

Thanks

Finally did it.. Engine flush, oil change, ATF change. Car feels smoother now. Next on the cards will be expansion tank, hose, coolant.

crombie_sg;1055141 said:

I believe the "cover" mentioned and discussed is known as the ATF slump. Probably commonly known as "ATF filter" if i am correct. IMO, this filter name is used loosely so owners will be more incline to change when ws recommend.

What i express is solely my own opinion and you should exercise caution on the information I provided.

The question with regards to "standard practice" is not going to yield a straight forward answer. BMW stated 5 series automatic transmission is condition based service (CBS) in their service manual. So how do you want to interpret from here?

For me, I replaced the ATF slump during my recent service to my automatic transmission which the part is still in good working condition for KS reason.

For reference, automatic transmission functions include the following:
- adaptive transmission control (AGS)
- overlap control
- starter inhibitor
- parking lock
- warm up program
- engine intervention
- downshift inhibitor
- reverse gear inhibitor
- shift lever lock
- standstill decoupling
- interlock
- emergency program (limp-home mode)

Replaced/Repaired so far
1.Transmission Flush
2.Boot Damper(Eng Soon)
3.Brake Pads
4.Wipers (Goodyear from USA)
5.Tyres (PSS Top93)
6.Lower Control arms and other various bushings from under carriage.(Mcwell Ventures)
7.Headlight polish(inside) rewired inside
8.M5 Mirrors (Replicas)
9.Battery wire (IBS)
10.Washer Pump
11.Idle tensioner + Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ProtonBits
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back