F30 Teething Problems

Re: F30 Teething Problems

pocoyo;860461 said:
Anyone has creaking noise from the AC blowers that sound like plastic expansion / contraction? Noise seem to stop if condenser is turned off.

Sometimes when I turn on my aircon and drive for a short while can hear the creaking noise I'm not sure from where, maybe thru the blower/I heard some creaking noise from the right not sure if it's from the ERP reader.

Maybe it's just because of expansion/contraction due to the cold air? I'm not very sure but the noises aren't that distinct or annoying...

I think it's the vents that open to allow outside/inside air recirculation mix. Nothing to worry about.

pocoyo;860461 said:
Anyone has creaking noise from the AC blowers that sound like plastic expansion / contraction? Noise seem to stop if condenser is turned off.

thats cos the panel behind is empty, a bit of foam insulation will help, I did that when I changed the M panels and the noise is almost none now

Just occurred to me that the car sounds like diesel engine? Or is there something wrong with mine?

tortoise;847201 said:
Of cos its reasonable, the insulation was even poorer than my previous Vw GTI MK5 and the EOS!!! :D:D:D

Is the F30 that bad? I was driving a VW Golf GTI Mk 5 and the insulation was crap compared to the F10...But again, that's a performance car so can't really compare but I'm surprised to hear the F30 is so bad? I test drove the F30 320i and I thought it was pretty good. Maybe those for test drive have got extra insulation...

To be fair, I think not every F30 owner is as sensitive to hums and the whistle of wind noise. One test drive can't really tell everything as there are so many details to pay attention to, and the thrill of driving the test drive car. Only the very obvious "faults" can be observed. During complaint, I requested to take the test drive car to "re-test" it. Honestly, the insulation is about the same. The extra road noise also comes from my 19" tires vs their comfort-RFTs.

After a month with it, I think I've accepted the nosier cabin. When in Sport-Mode, just a slight tap on the accelerator and all is forgiven. Planning to take some money otherwise spent on useless sound-proofing into getting better speakers. Since you come with the Golf experience, the F30 shouldn't be a let down in terms of sound insulation. However, by no uncertain terms, the insulation of the F30 is less than what is expected from BMW.

Bro Bimmerman I agree totally with you, accept it as it is and enjoy the drive. Just that when go NSH at higher speeds it gets harder to bear : (

actually serious i can't heard those sound you guys are complaining. i can only hear the exhaust ... maybe i am deaf !!!

but then it can also be maybe EX EX ride was CTR so ... so F30 is considered good but Ex A4 is much much better but since i can tolerate CTR ... F30 no issue :D it is only a matter of getting used... too noisy inside then open window list to exhaust on NSHW :D

animian;862410 said:
actually serious i can't heard those sound you guys are complaining. i can only hear the exhaust ... maybe i am deaf !!!

but then it can also be maybe EX EX ride was CTR so ... so F30 is considered good but Ex A4 is much much better but since i can tolerate CTR ... F30 no issue :D it is only a matter of getting used... too noisy inside then open window list to exhaust on NSHW :D

The only problem I have with the noise is during cold start... sounds really like a diesel engine... Some ppl attribute this to possible piston slap, or direct injection forcing a over rich mixture to have very hot EGT to light up the cat converter for lower emissions...

I am accepting the noise in the cabin, but for a top end "luxury" model, there shld really be no wind noise (esp when the CD is only 0.29, meaning there shld be very little turbulence or watever). So the solution i found, was to accelerate more =)

The lexus (of coz) and the old 3 series are much quieter.

clamsgp;862104 said:
Is the F30 that bad? I was driving a VW Golf GTI Mk 5 and the insulation was crap compared to the F10...But again, that's a performance car so can't really compare but I'm surprised to hear the F30 is so bad? I test drove the F30 320i and I thought it was pretty good. Maybe those for test drive have got extra insulation...

insulation problem appear to be random. Test drive cars seem to be ok tho, thats why when we sent our rides in for insulation checks, PML acknowledged such problems cos there's a diff!

MK5 GTI insulation sucks of cos, my wife had that and it was worse than my EOS hahahahahhaaa but a decent 2.0T and one of the hottest hatch around :thumbsup:

bimmerman;862271 said:
To be fair, I think not every F30 owner is as sensitive to hums and the whistle of wind noise. One test drive can't really tell everything as there are so many details to pay attention to, and the thrill of driving the test drive car. Only the very obvious "faults" can be observed. During complaint, I requested to take the test drive car to "re-test" it. Honestly, the insulation is about the same. The extra road noise also comes from my 19" tires vs their comfort-RFTs.

After a month with it, I think I've accepted the nosier cabin. When in Sport-Mode, just a slight tap on the accelerator and all is forgiven. Planning to take some money otherwise spent on useless sound-proofing into getting better speakers. Since you come with the Golf experience, the F30 shouldn't be a let down in terms of sound insulation. However, by no uncertain terms, the insulation of the F30 is less than what is expected from BMW.

Very well said! U should be the PML Service Director!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Growler;862362 said:
Bro Bimmerman I agree totally with you, accept it as it is and enjoy the drive. Just that when go NSH at higher speeds it gets harder to bear : (

Along AYE to Tuas also jump bldg liao, go NSHW is install ejector seat liao!!! hahahahhahaa

Anybody has found a fix for the wind noise problem? Searched USA F30post and someone commented the noise could come from the front windshield and side windows. Changed the seal and noise resolved! Don't know if that's done by PML also.

thekop5;863034 said:
Anybody has found a fix for the wind noise problem? Searched USA F30post and someone commented the noise could come from the front windshield and side windows. Changed the seal and noise resolved! Don't know if that's done by PML also.

My windscreen was cracked and replaced duly, and front noise's gone! The side windows noise is still there, PML claimed they did something but I found nothing hahahahhaaaa :oooops:

was changing gears today with the radio off....and heard a "beep" sound everytime i switch between D, N and R. is this normal?

kianliau;863331 said:
was changing gears today with the radio off....and heard a "beep" sound everytime i switch between D, N and R. is this normal?

shld not have beep sound, it kinda resemble mobile phone settings that u can beep every single action hahahhahaa

tortoise;863204 said:
My windscreen was cracked and replaced duly, and front noise's gone! The side windows noise is still there, PML claimed they did something but I found nothing hahahahhaaaa :oooops:

Let's hope that BMW Asia able to solve the side windows noise soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yo88business
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back