Taste of IS250

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Taste of IS250

meganbel said:
Hi Puny,

Juz to confirm on 1 point. Are you saying that the ride comfort (focussing more on sound insulation) for the IS250 basic and 323i (also for the 320i) are about the same?
Hi meganbel,

The sound insulation is different. Do give both a try and let me know if you have similiar/different sentiments.

The IS's insulation should be a tad better. Tyre noise sounded more obvious (undercarriage), but the rest was quite well insulated.

The E90's insulation seems better for road/tyre noise, the engine is more audible on the 323i.

Both are running 17" tyres.

I believe the road tarmac type also makes a difference - the 323i took the Alexandra -> AYE route, the IS took the Alexendra -> Leng Kee route. Both in moderate traffic conditions.

Both are much improved over the E46 for sure so for the small executive sedan.

Longshanks said:
Guys, wot's PML's latest price on the E90 323? Thanks.

Retail: $168K, current promo price $148K. Needs bargaining IMO. If I didn't remember wrongly - abt 200+ units sold out of 300.

Puny said:
Hi meganbel,

The sound insulation is different. Do give both a try and let me know if you have similiar/different sentiments.

The IS's insulation should be a tad better. Tyre noise sounded more obvious (undercarriage), but the rest was quite well insulated.

The E90's insulation seems better for road/tyre noise, the engine is more audible on the 323i.

Both are running 17" tyres.

I believe the road tarmac type also makes a difference - the 323i took the Alexandra -> AYE route, the IS took the Alexendra -> Leng Kee route. Both in moderate traffic conditions.

Both are much improved over the E46 for sure so for the small executive sedan.

I sat in a friend's e90 320i as a front passenger. I was a tad disappointed with the insulation. I expected better. But still my heart lies with BMW. I'm hoping that the price of the 323i drops further.

There is clearly a major philosophical divergence between Lexus and BMW in the latest IS and 3 series. Both are not quite playing exactly the same game so it is an error to judge them according to the same yardstick.

The BMW experience for me is about feeling the subtlest shades in road texture and the precise vehicle control demanding full driver committment. I love the snappy immediate power response from the 320's 4 cylinder in-line engine which suits the sharp handling of the car.

The new Lexus IS offers a very different experience. The feel of the road is not transmitted in stark clarity through raw contact. Rather, feedback from the road is tamed and presented in a gentle, polite form on a silver platter to the driver, who floats above road imperfections, and yet is viscerally informed of what is happening on the road. In the same style, every road undulation is smoothed over before it arrives at the driver's hands through the IS steering, which is about calm, effortless and precise control.

Power from the IS V6 engine surges forth gracefully and confidently with ample reserves. In contrast the BMW in-line 4 offers immediate dynamic power in quick spurts which makes short fast dashes so exciting in an E90. The IS handles corners with stability and confidence but again, the focus again is to make the driver feel assured and comfortably cocooned around corners, rather unlike the feeling of being bolted down in a steel grip when cornering in a BMW.

We hear a car as much as we feel and see it. In-line with the "comfort approach" of the IS, the V6 cruises in almost total silence and roars authoritatively but at a respectful distance when you wake it up at high revs. This allows you to enjoy the great Mark Levinson hi-fi if you ordered the luxury version! As befitting an engaging driving experience, the scream of the 320's 4 cylinder is a primal sound that you almost hear within yourself, as if it were your own voice, as you become drawn into the driving experience.

The new IS therefore achieves a kind of paradox in offering a calm, smooth and sensuously pleasing ride that is also a well-informed, powerfully confident and precise driving experience. The 3 series is about the driver becoming physically part of the car, with the driver almost taking on the form of a powerful animal bounding deftly through a jungle. Both approaches are designed with adequate expertise to make valid claims to representing the "Ultimate Driving Experience," or alternatively, "the Relentless Pursuit of Perfection."

After rigorously test driving both the IS250 and 320 and lengthy package negotiations, I chose the IS250. I have always aspired to owning a BMW and will miss all the thrills the 3 series has to offer. However, for an everyday car, the IS250 provides a graceful and controlled, yet entertaining and precise, driving experience that does not leave one flustered, ruffled or shaken up. I like the no-nonsense 3 series interior as its spartan and businesslike quality is appropriate to the purpose of the car. However the IS 250 interior and dashboard is very plush with super cool speedometer/tachometer light rings. Externally, I find the lean aggressive stance of the e90 to be impressive and exciting. On the other hand IS250 just looks drop-dead gorgeous. Its tight, flowing lines beautifully reflect its design philosophy and the experience of driving it.

The major deciding factor was that I wanted an everyday car that would be utterly dependable. A car should inspire confidence in its owner about its dependability and not make one cringe daily in the fear that it might break down the very next minute. In this respect, Lexus has upheld an unsurpassed reputation.

*clap*clap*clap*.....u write for TORQUE magazine izit ? :)

Aaa, anyway I do hope u encourage more friends to buy the IS250, so much so that it brings LEXUS above BMW as the most sold luxury car in Singapore. U know why, then I can buy my next BMW at a cheaper price bcos PML will know they are over pricing their 325 and 330 :laugh:

There is a clear major philosophical divergence between Lexus and BMW in the latest IS and 3 series designs. Both makers are not quite playing exactly the same game so perhaps it is an error to judge them strictly according to the same yardstick.

The BMW experience is about feeling the subtlest shades in road texture and enjoying precise and visceral steering control. I love the snappy immediate power response from the 320's 4 cylinder in-line engine which suits the sharp handling of the car.

The new Lexus IS offers a very different experience. The feel of the road is not transmitted in stark clarity through raw contact as in the BMW. Rather, feedback from the road is tamed and re-presented on a silver platter in a gentle, polite form to the driver, who floats above road imperfections, and yet receives important information about the general contours of the road beneath. In the same style, every bump and pothole is polished and smoothed over before it arrives at the driver's hands through the IS steering, which is about calm, effortless and precise control.

Power from the IS V6 engine surges forth gracefully, inspiring confidence with ample reserves. In contrast the BMW in-line 4 offers immediate dynamic spurts of power which makes short fast dashes so exciting in an E90. The IS handles corners with stability and confidence but again, the focus again is to make the driver feel assured and comfortably cocooned around corners, rather unlike the feeling of being bolted down in an awesome steel grip when cornering in a BMW.

We hear a car as much as we feel and see it. In-line with the overall character of the IS, its V6 cruises in almost total silence and roars authoritatively but at a respectful distance when you rouse it into high revs. This allows you to enjoy the great Mark Levinson hi-fi if you ordered the luxury version. As befitting an engaging driving experience, the scream of the 320's 4 cylinder is a primal sound that you almost hear DEEP within yourself, as if it were your own voice, when you become drawn into the exhilirating driving experience.

I like the no-nonsense 3-series interior as its Spartan, functional and businesslike quality reflects the singular purpose of the car. However, the IS 250 interior and dashboard is very plush with super cool speedometer/tachometer light rings. Externally, I find the lean aggressive stance of the E90 to be purposeful, impressive and exciting. The sleek yet intense shape of the IS250 looks especially drop-dead gorgeous. Its tight, flowing lines beautifully reflect its design philosophy and the beautifully refined experience of driving it.

The new IS achieves a kind of paradox in offering a calm, smooth and sensuously pleasing ride that is also a well-informed, powerfully confident and precise drive. Indeed, when one drives the new IS gracefully the way one should, it induces a wonderful sense of synergy and oneness with the nature of the machine. If there is one word that can capture the IS250 driving experience, that word would be "POISE."

Likewise, when driving 3 series, one becomes physically united with the car as its dynamic personality envelopes you. In the seat of the BMW, the driver almost takes on the form of some athletic wild beast bounding deftly through a jungle. In successfully engineering cars that become extensions of their drivers (or enabling drivers to become extensions of the cars,) BMW and Lexus can make valid claims to represent the "Ultimate Driving Experience," or alternatively, "the Relentless Pursuit of Perfection."

After rigorously test driving both the IS250 and 320 and lengthy package negotiations, I chose the IS250. The major deciding factor was the need to have an everyday car that would be utterly dependable. For me, a car should inspire confidence in its owner, who should not have to cringe daily in the fear that it might not start up the next time you press the ignition. In this respect, Lexus has enjoyed an unsurpassed reputation. I have always aspired to owning a BMW and crave all the visceral thrills the 320 has to offer. However, for an everyday car, the IS250 provides a refined and controlled drive that is also worry-free, entertaining and precise, and does not leave one shaken up at the end of the ride.

Now, if only I could afford both cars!

bmw SIA KAH AH NI HOH!!!!

KYET KO YA SI BUAY lexus???

Kidding ya......

Good write-up..........and fair enough description on how the final choice was made.

Cheers!

Wow.... from your comments on the BMW and IS, I guess you must have really fought hard to make a decision man.... hope you won't regret when you see a BMW driving beside your IS250 next time!

I must say, even before the IS250 is officially launched, the impression left from write-ups in car magazines has already attracted many buyers!

For me, and maybe some of other beemers here, nothing beats the sheer driving experience from a BMW!

Enjoy your ride soon and keep us posted on your experience!

Mark_Twain said:
I must say, even before the IS250 is officially launched, the impression left from write-ups in car magazines has already attracted many buyers!

I just spent 20mins at MPH after lunch reading a few car magazines. Seems that every new car review irregardless of brand/model is good. They are just silent on the bad areas. Well not surprisingly bcos the car makers will utilise the magazine firms to market their car whilst the magazine firms need the car makers to allow them to test drive n write up their cars, or else they have ntg to write on.

I do read car magazines myself but after reading a few I am inclined to take a pinch of salt on the reviews. It like a you-scratch-my-back-I-scratch-yours-too kinda thing

Magazine:slaphead: car dealers

pingman said:
Well written. Thanks for the info.
BTW. Is dsdfan AKA ahbengdriver? pls clarify.
QUOTE]

Halo Mr/Ms dsdfan.......I didnt know I have a lost twin brother.......I measure 1.55m tall nia, but weigh 80kg, hair short short, fingers long long, one eye bigger than the other......my key statistics are 32-32-32....thats why now I have a 32-0i

Are you identical to me, bcos people say u and me sama sama leh :uhhh: If u are REALLY MY LONG LOST BROTHER, then we should meet up, down 3 litres of petrol[beer I mean], hold 3 joss sticks and pray to the sky, chant "we are brothers"[not the movie name] and cut cocks[bird type] and drink their blood ? :cloud9:

dsdfan,

A very good and balanced writeup for both cars ... although I wouldn't have compared the 320i with the IS250. It should be at least the 323i, if not the 325i. But if you were comparing cost-wise, then I agree with you, as IMO the 323i and 325i are overpriced for the overall package you're getting, compared to the IS250. Personally though, I wouldn't get the 320i. It just cannot be compared to the 3 6-pot cars above.

But in any case, I agree with you, that the IS250 is indeed a very well built car ... even though I feel that there are many things Lexus has changed that does not give me that compelling need or want to trade up my IS200 (yet).

Once again, I appreciate your very unbiased report.
Hope you have many years of problem-free motoring with your IS250, like I did the IS200.
First time right, every time when you crank the engine. It will NEVER fail on you.
No squeaks, no rattles, no window jams, no juddering wipers, no gremlins, no engine stalls, no malfunctioning fuel pressure regulator or fuel pump, no false alarms, no ECU-related issues. Just reliably perfectl, with the passion.

The Relentless Pursuit Of Perfection indeed!

p.s. I also own a relatively new E60 523i too (so far no major problems yet, except for some rattlings here and there ... for X's sake, why can't they make 'em rattle-free like Lexus? Its slowly eating into me. Uurrgh!), so I don't think I am giving Lexus-biased feedback here.

Mark_Twain said:
For me, and maybe some of other beemers here, nothing beats the sheer driving experience from a BMW!

Enjoy your ride soon and keep us posted on your experience!

I can honestly say that same thing for my IS200 too.
I actually chose the Lexus over the E46 318i and 320i after numerous test drives.
Nothing beats the sheer driving experience I derived (and still do) from the IS200.

Thanks for your reassuring comments, IS200!

As you have discovered, IS250 is quite a departure from IS200 as well as from the BMW camp. The new IS has the same slickness as the 1st gen IS, or any other Lexus. However, you won't find the sharp hydraulic steering of your IS200 on the IS250. You might find the ride of the IS250 even more isolated than your IS200. The in line 6 of the 1st gen IS also seems more raw and eager than the cultured V6 of the IS250. As such 1st generation IS drivers may not find the IS250 to their liking. While the IS200 was designed as a 3 series competitor, the IS250 seems to have struck off on a mission of its own: to achieve luxury sports with a greater emphasis on Luxury.

Between the BM 323 and the 320, I actually find the 320 more fun to drive due to the lightning fast response of the 4 cylinder engine. I can't get the 323's 6 cylinder engine to jab and thrust in that explosive fashion. Of course, the 323 has more power reserves on tap and will provide sustained acceleration when the 320 runs out of steam.

let me first say this "to each his own"...

i've tested the 320, 323, 325 and IS250 (lux edition) ... let me just say the best drive goes to the 325 needless to say....its like a energizer rabbit, it just keeps going! i-drive is all too cool...PDC even cooler!

if you can afford 1.5 car (not even 2 cars), just buy the 325... don't waste time! if not 320 will suffice!

323 & IS250 waste of $ and roadtax, more than half my test drive .. i'm stuck behind traffic or affected by roadworks... if i ever own either one, i'm stuck behind the thought of where my friendly uncle sam is hiding with a camera.

IS250 with a 2.5 litre engine has significant hesitation (worst than my e46) and also body roll, the rear passenger seating area is damn cramp. boot space is smaller compared to the 3er. but gadgets out rank the 3er, egonormics is non existent, look at the number of buttons and switches... is it trying to compete with a Boeing 747? and its got 3 buttons to set the time on the clock, H, M, S.... wah liao eh, in this time and age?

The 3 series still gives the "ultimate driving experience", the IS250 is still in "pursuit of perfection".

or walk into Borneo turn left not right, that one value for money and very reliable.

again, its "to each his own"...

IS200 said:
dsdfan,

A very good and balanced writeup for both cars ... although I wouldn't have compared the 320i with the IS250. It should be at least the 323i, if not the 325i. But if you were comparing cost-wise, then I agree with you, as IMO the 323i and 325i are overpriced for the overall package you're getting, compared to the IS250. Personally though, I wouldn't get the 320i. It just cannot be compared to the 3 6-pot cars above.

I do agree that IS250 has to compare with 323 or 325 in terms of engine capacity. Whether a car is over-priced or not one has to look at the OMV. 325's OMV is S$50k+ which is about the same as 523 that's why there are priced at about S$170k. IS250 OMV is S$40k+ so that's why it is cheaper. OMV wise IS250 and 323 is about the same but 323 is dearer. So one has to look at other factors like driving dynamics and re-sale value to make a choice.

ferd said:
let me first say this "to each his own"...

i've tested the 320, 323, 325 and IS250 (lux edition) ... let me just say the best drive goes to the 325 needless to say....its like a energizer rabbit, it just keeps going! i-drive is all too cool...PDC even cooler!

"energizer rabbit" - I like the way you describe it. I have been driving the 325 for a couple of months now and yes, it is like a "energized rabbbit". The power and the sweet engine note keeps on coming especially when you are >4000 rpm. But in S'pore, you can only enjoy that for a couple of minutes and you have to let go of the accelerator. It will be good to bring the "rabbit" for a spin in the N-S highway. :thumbsup:

pwsoh,
Can you shed some personal experience. how long hv u been driving yr 325i. Now that I ve bot my 320i, everynight I wake up crying " where is my 325i...mama?"

Say, esp the GPS...does it work properly. My friend sat in someone's 7-er and his GPS took him to "Ho-Lan".

Ahbengdriver said:
pwsoh,
Can you shed some personal experience. how long hv u been driving yr 325i. Now that I ve bot my 320i, everynight I wake up crying " where is my 325i...mama?"

Say, esp the GPS...does it work properly. My friend sat in someone's 7-er and his GPS took him to "Ho-Lan".

Hey my friend, the reason I chose the 325 is because I used to be driving the E46:318 which is the same engine as your E90:320. I find that the 2.0L valvetronic engine is good enough but of course if you want to buy another 3 it must be the 325 at that time, if not the 330.

I'm not sure about how the 323 performed but I'm definitely still loves my 325 even after 6 months. The engine seems to be sweeter after the 10,000 km mark. The thing I liked most is the power to pull away from the pack even at "D" mode. But it is difficult to hold on to the high rpm in S'pore to fully experience the power.

About the GPS, personally I loved it, especially when you chose the "short route" option, you will be surprised it actually brings you to those small roads that you have never use it before. Also, I like the estimated time of arrival even though it changes according to the driving conditions. GPS is also good to have when you are in sales line and you have to go to new places frequently.

pwsoh said:
Hey my friend, the reason I chose the 325 is because I used to be driving the E46:318 which is the same engine as your E90:320. I find that the 2.0L valvetronic engine is good enough but of course if you want to buy another 3 it must be the 325 at that time, if not the 330.

I'm not sure about how the 323 performed but I'm definitely still loves my 325 even after 6 months. The engine seems to be sweeter after the 10,000 km mark. The thing I liked most is the power to pull away from the pack even at "D" mode. But it is difficult to hold on to the high rpm in S'pore to fully experience the power.

About the GPS, personally I loved it, especially when you chose the "short route" option, you will be surprised it actually brings you to those small roads that you have never use it before. Also, I like the estimated time of arrival even though it changes according to the driving conditions. GPS is also good to have when you are in sales line and you have to go to new places frequently.

thx mate....for sharing your experience on this beautiful car. I shall wait for the next PML 'promotion' to get it or the 330i :angry: . Having full throttled a 330i at "s" mode during the ADT, I knew I bot the 'wrong' car. The 320i is fine for now, handles very well on roads and is cool at highway cruises. It still does give decent acceleration n whenever I put it on "s", it does pull away from the crowd so it isnt that bad as some said. But the engine note on the 6 cylinder is truly awesome. Anyway, hope to see you n your car one day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaibongdavn
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back