Changes to COE: Government includes car engine power to categorisation

Re: Changes to COE: Government includes car engine power to categorisation

They should put a dyno at sta so that these cars never exceed 130bhp.

What kind of joke is this? Why tackle the issue where the new variable is a variable.
Real fkin joke man...
So many better other solutions out there.

StrdCloud;1033587 said:
They should put a dyno at sta so that these cars never exceed 130bhp.

What kind of joke is this? Why tackle the issue where the new variable is a variable.
Real fkin joke man...
So many better other solutions out there.

http://www.todayonline.com/singapore/top-supplier-car-partsconcerned-over-new-coe-criterion-cat

TODAY understands that the LTA has also brought in chassis dynamometers for the inspection of vehicle engine power. [\quote]

animian;1033609 said:
Top supplier of car parts concerned over new COE criterion for Cat A | TODAYonline

TODAY understands that the LTA has also brought in chassis dynamometers for the inspection of vehicle engine power.

Maybe someone should really highlight to these people that there are truly better ways, simpler ways, more effective ways, to re-allocate the COEs and prevent sky-high, record prices - oh, wait. That's not really their aim or point at all!!

Epiphany: this readjustment isn't about reducing COE prices (and we all know COEs work as well for effective traffic control as washing with Coke & standing on your head do for effective post intercourse contraception) at all, but a bit of a wayang to show that they are doing something to the COE, while ensuring that the garhmen coffers continue to be filled ... but fear not, it's not to make up for bad Tema$ick investments! :lol2::lol2:

Singaporeans, let me share with you my favourite catchphrase again: SUCK IT IN, BEND OVER, AND TAKE IT UP WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE!

And also let me remind you of 2 other wonderful trademarked rejoinders, often bandied about by the 60.1:

1. Don't like the system? Why don't you join in and make a change instead of being a keyboard warrior?
2. Don't like the system and don't like to join in? Why don't you pack up and leave the country?

There, I said it. Don't say I not fair to the 60.1.

wobbles;1033614 said:
And also let me remind you of 2 other wonderful trademarked rejoinders, often bandied about by the 60.1:

1. Don't like the system? Why don't you join in and make a change instead of being a keyboard warrior?
2. Don't like the system and don't like to join in? Why don't you pack up and leave the country?

Wobbles so fierce. Lucky I wasnt the 60.1.

wobbles;1033614 said:

I say again, brobbles for Ministar! Until then, anyone knows a good place to work/move to until that happens? Getting tired...

seanskye;1033634 said:
I say again, brobbles for Ministar! Until then, anyone knows a good place to work/move to until that happens? Getting tired...

Thanks but no thanks. Scholars for ministars. Farmers for internet keyboard warriors. I am a farmer. And proud of it :)

wobbles;1033636 said:
Thanks but no thanks. Scholars for ministars. Farmers for internet keyboard warriors. I am a farmer. And proud of it :)

I gardener leh. Lagi worse... but I am proud of it too!

pengful;1033627 said:
Wobbles so fierce. Lucky I wasnt the 60.1.

yah lor..so fierce... dun shoot the hand that simply feed/share information made available by SPH

animian;1033640 said:
yah lor..so fierce... dun shoot the hand that simply feed/share information made available by SPH

I didn't lah. I help the 60.1 put in their registered trademarked copyrighted FAQ C:/drive responses in advance - how's that fierce? Those who know me will tell you that I'm a fuzzy wuzzy cuddly teddy bear, with a soft, well rounded tummy that begged to be rubbed by all & sundry.

Sadly, that same tummy has hidden my toes from view for the past many years... not to mention whatever else that lies between my navel & my toes....

There, does that imagery above help soften my "fierce" look somewhat? :lol2:

seanskye;1033638 said:
I gardener leh. Lagi worse... but I am proud of it too!

Hearsay, somesay, our favorite Brobot also enjoys a spot of gardening or two... hehehehe

wobbles;1033647 said:
Hearsay, somesay, our favorite Brobot also enjoys a spot of gardening or two... hehehehe

Brobot enjoys gardening in strategic spots. With a shaver for maximum feel of the 'undulations'......

wobbles;1033644 said:
I didn't lah. I help the 60.1 put in their registered trademarked copyrighted FAQ C:/drive responses in advance - how's that fierce? Those who know me will tell you that I'm a fuzzy wuzzy cuddly teddy bear, with a soft, well rounded tummy that begged to be rubbed by all & sundry.

Sadly, that same tummy has hidden my toes from view for the past many years... not to mention whatever else that lies between my navel & my toes....

There, does that imagery above help soften my "fierce" look somewhat? :lol2:

With that statement I actually feel sorry for you...

The question is, will the 130bhp actually lower number of people buying cat A cars??
Does it mean that all the jap/korean/china car sales < conti car sales in Cat A?
Does it really mean that the cars with >130bhp really make up bulk of the sales?

If reducing the price of CoE was the reason for this move, why not just give a 50% off on CoE for cat A japanese/korean cars, and free CoE if you buy a Chery QQ. Easier like this ma

In essence they are just telling people, if you aren't rich enough, just drive a crappy kart to work, or just take the public BMW.

Really disappointed at LTA for making such kind of implementation that they cannot
1. Justify 100%
2. Implement without difficulties
3. Check or gain control over without changing the entire vehicle system.

Why can't they see that the earlier ministers have realized that simplicity is the key, that a simple levy with a time span has managed to control vehicles over the past 10+ years.
Why not just follow the predecessors???

StrdCloud;1033871 said:
Why can't they see that the earlier ministers have realized that simplicity is the key, that a simple levy with a time span has managed to control vehicles over the past 10+ years.
Why not just follow the predecessors???

Because:

a. Scholars have to justify their high pay - so they come up with harebrained schemes to make themselves look relevant
b. Ministars have to accept these same crackpot ideas to cement their own 'legacy', thus also similarly justifying their stratospheric million dollar grow-at-all-costs-because-my-bonus-is-tied-to-the-GDP salaries

Easy answer for you.

https://www.facebook.com/notes/hri-kumar/coe-a-missed-opportunity/590869350959666
[h=2]COE - A Missed Opportunity[/h]
September 15, 2013 at 4:17pm
The question on most lips following the latest tweak to the COE system is whether it will lower COE prices for Category A cars.

That is no doubt LTA's intention. But it must know that price is largely driven by the market and the number of COEs on offer. So, the change was really directed at moving certain "luxury" makes from Cat A to Cat B. In short, it was an act of appeasement. But good policy?

To me, it was a lost opportunity for the LTA to articulate a meaningful strategy or provide a clear vision we can get behind. It is plain that no matter how it changes the COE system, the LTA is not going to satisfy everyone. Some have already complained that the tweaks are anti-family as many models of larger, family cars will now be in Cat B.

My objections are different. Differentiating cars by engine capacities and power output is meaningless. Indeed, as some have rightly pointed out, we now disadvantage cars with more efficient engines. How does that make sense? Are we back to the drawing board if more "luxury" brands produce engines with less than 130 bhp? How about cars with engines which can be significantly enhanced after sale with software upgrades?

Appeasement never works. If a system has no backbone, it will wilt under pressure. COEs by definition control the number of cars on the roads. The LTA should therefore focus on what type of cars we should promote. Very few will disagree that we should encourage cleaner, quieter, more energy efficient cars. If 1.3l turbo-charged car is cleaner and more efficient than a 1.6l car, should we not encourage more people to buy the former? What has engine power got to do with anything? I realise some want an element of social equity in the system. We can still achieve this by allocating more COEs to, and bringing down the prices of cleaner cars so that they are more affordable than "dirtier", less efficient ones. That is a principle I believe most will get behind.

A vision worth pursuing is one that has Singapore with more electric cars on the road. Electric cars are tailor-made for Singapore, where the average commuter will travel less daily than the range of a car on a full charge. They are quieter, have no emissions and a full charge costs a fraction of a full petrol tank. We will need the infra- structure to support them. But we can easily mandate that all new public and private housing developments, malls and commercial car-parks have sufficient charging stations etc. The demand may not be there now, but that is a chicken and egg issue. Make it easier to buy an electric car and provide the infra-structure, and more will make the change.

There has to be, to some extent, a leap of faith. But that is what having a vision is about. And who better than us to show the world what can be done if there is conviction and the ability to make long term plans?

~ Hri Kumar

kenntona;1034574 said:
Appeasement never works. If a system has no backbone, it will wilt under pressure. COEs by definition control the number of cars on the roads. The LTA should therefore focus on what type of cars we should promote. Very few will disagree that we should encourage cleaner, quieter, more energy efficient cars. If 1.3l turbo-charged car is cleaner and more efficient than a 1.6l car, should we not encourage more people to buy the former? What has engine power got to do with anything? I realise some want an element of social equity in the system. We can still achieve this by allocating more COEs to, and bringing down the prices of cleaner cars so that they are more affordable than "dirtier", less efficient ones. That is a principle I believe most will get behind.

New Carbon Emissions-Based Vehicle Scheme (CEVS) from 1 January 2013 | Press Room | Land Transport Authority

err... i tot this was introduced beginning of the year to encourage the cleaner cars ? just that not very efficient niah ...

We will be the laughing stock of the world

Bosch pointed out last wk to LTA that these 2 policies are O X Y M O R O N.

To make COE price more socially equitable, COE should be bid based on SINGPASS for all class except open CAT. Sibei rich ppl can ask dealer to bid for them open CAT.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ok9tools
Ad | 📈Learn Trading Strategies, Lessons and Setups
Back